Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 904710 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
:lol

:|

What's so funny about what Kade said?  It's a great album.  :TAC:  :2metal:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, it is.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

What about this Kelly Keeling one Brent?

I have had a listen to it now and it's alright................low-mid 70's rating.    It sorta sounds like what it is - a Frontiers job with all the usual suspects involved.    There are a few standout tracks but the rest just falls into the decent/heard it all before category.   I tend to prefer his gritty voice over more bluesy/rocking material than a lot of the stuff on this too.

If you love his voice and are a completist then it's probably worth it for a couple of the best tracks -otherwise I would stick to stuff like Baton Rouge or John Norum's Another Destination which has the killer track Resurrection Time.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Not familiar with him, just didn't mind the songs that were released.  I probably won't buy it, just listen online I think.  I'm actually getting a bit over these Frontiers projects myself.

Anyone check that Tolkki and hot chick one?  :lol  i didn't.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Anyone check that Tolkki and hot chick one?  :lol  i didn't.

no - but I have noticed that it is getting pretty positive reviews around the traps.  Maybe it's all guys watching the song videos with the sound down .
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline gazinwales

Maybe the album is actually pretty good?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Alright g-man...........I will check it out, but if it causes ear bleeds I am sending you the medical bill.  ;D

I have actually heard a couple of tracks and they were very meh!

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Alright g-man...........I will check it out, but if it causes ear bleeds I am sending you the medical bill.  ;D

I have actually heard a couple of tracks and they were very meh!

Good luck

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
My ratings on Martin era Sabbath:

Albums:

1. Tyr
2. Headless Cross

3. Cross Purposes
4. Eternal Idol
5. Forbidden

Top 10 Songs:

The Sabbath Stones
Valhalla
Heaven In Black
Ancient Warrior
Headless Cross
Devil & Daughter
Black Moon
Forbidden
Cross of Thorns
Psychophobia

Not too many lists for this one but will collate later.

Off to listen to Chaos Tragic :)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Off to listen to Chaos Tragic :)

Well it's pretty obvious what Tolkki was trying to achieve here........this is Within Temptation (tick) with all of the life sucked out of it (fail).  The singer Caterina has smokin' legs and a nice ass but her voice is something you might expect to hear on Idol or The Voice - she can hold a tune but there's no personality or power to it.  The music is the same - there's nothing totally unlistenable on it but there's also zero that held my attention. It's generic , write it in your sleep stuff.

Pretty much as expected.

Rating : 60%

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
As we expected Brent.  I ain't even gonna listen to it.  :hat

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
As we expected Brent.  I ain't even gonna listen to it.  :hat

Anything with Tolkki is an automatic PASS for me now.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Sad but true.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Fucking workhorse of a band.

New song is fucking good too.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Fucking workhorse of a band.

New song is fucking good too.

That album cover is so cool!!

Offline Deathless

New Stryper album's title track - "Fallen"

I dig the song... but some of that auto-tune/modulation is just, awful.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
great tune

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
"No More Tours" by Ozzy in the early 90s as well

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I have a feeling I don't want to hear the music ,but loving the album title/cover  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Cool cover  :tup And Kurt Russell is such a badass, he needs his own tribute album. But like you, I have the feeling that this isn't my cup of tea.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
A Kurt Russell tribute album..........................I have no issue with that.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Well I have a major announcement to make...........

Darren Smith has rejoined Red Dragon Carousel  ;D .  Seriously.  :lol

Apologies for the lack of action around here but I have been too busy Rouletting and Savataging.

I also forgot to get those ratings collated for Martin era Sabbath , so here they are.   And while we have roulettes going on and so forth I will slow the feature bands down to maybe 1-2 per month.  Will look to get another up for next week.

MARTIN ERA SABBATH RESULTS:

Albums:

1. Tyr / Headless Cross (TIE)
2. Eternal Idol/Cross Purposes (TIE)
3 Forbidden

Songs:

The most popular songs that got mentioned in all of our lists (me , Kade and jj)

Headless Cross
Devil & Daughter
The Sabbath Stones

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Darren Smith has rejoined Red Dragon Carousel  ;D .  Seriously.  :lol

Nice name. :lol That's a real shame. A better vocalist would be necessary for me to be interested in another album (if they could manage a whole recording process before changing lineup again).
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I read about that RDC and Smith rejoining on blabbermouth.

Its beyond ridiculous.

This can't be a real situation with Jake.  It has to be a gimmick he came up with to get attention as no one could go through that many singers in such a short timeframe.  Its funny, but still ridiculous.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I couldn't give a shit about this Red Dragon band.  Such a shame and waste of Jake's talent.

Offline Lowdz

Q5 have signed for Frontiers apparently. Hoping for a Steel The Light style metal gem rather than a When The Mirror Cracks AOR bore fest. They've been quiet for a long time so not expecting much tbh.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Q5 have signed for Frontiers apparently. Hoping for a Steel The Light style metal gem rather than a When The Mirror Cracks AOR bore fest. They've been quiet for a long time so not expecting much tbh.

I remember reading about that a while back ..........that they were reforming (maybe not about Frontiers).  At that stage at least it didn't include Floyd Rose.   As a guitarist that was what brought them to my attention back in the day- otherwise I probably wouldn't have noticed.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Might interest you Kade -  Tony Macalpine Aussie Tour

Saturday, October 3: John Inverarity Music & Drama Centre - Perth
Monday, October 5: The Gov Hindmarsh - Adelaide
Wednesday, October 7: The Bendigo Hotel - Melbourne
Friday, October 9: Wesley Theatre - Sydney
Saturday, October 10: Crowbar - Brisbane

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah saw that bro.  A Saturday night so I'll think I'll go.  To see both EOI and MS played in full would certainly be a treat.

Offline Lowdz

I remember reading about that a while back ..........that they were reforming (maybe not about Frontiers).  At that stage at least it didn't include Floyd Rose.   As a guitarist that was what brought them to my attention back in the day- otherwise I probably wouldn't have noticed.

Yeah, there's no floyd rose.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

www.theguitardojo.com.au