Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 904761 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I have truckloads but then I was a guitar player and so are/were most of the guys here who do have big collections of that stuff.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I wouldn't really expect people that don't play guitar to be into guitar instrumental albums anyway.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Man, this new TMac is heavy, proggy and complex.

Yeah - I found it an extremely hard listen.   TMac has always been hit and miss with me...with plenty of hit mind you.   When he's good and encases the amazing technique in some structure he's one of the best ever and when he's bad it's quite unfulfilling .  For me this new album is mostly the latter.

At times to me he sounds like a pianist who just happens to play guitar with amazing technique and on this album there's a lot of that.   The easiest song to listen to for me was the piano piece  :lol

I thought the opening track was very good but from there it became an album that is mostly a great example of proggy music that does nothing for me.   The musicianship is there , as are the usual moments of brilliance, but most of the songs never resolve,lead anywhere or show anything beyond the most minimal structure - it's just music that's "there".  That's where the best material from guys like Satriani and Vai etc.....can be on another level at times.

My 3 faves were Exhibitionist Blvd, Sierra Morena and Confessions of a Medieval Monument -all of which I think have enough structure to be real growers.  The rest......not so much.

On my usual rating score it comes up at 63% after first listen  :-[
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 04:23:10 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
yeah, it's a tough listen.  I'm hoping the DVD will help me get into it more when it arrives.  It reminds me of Planet X a bit.  I also hear a lot of Vai influence in here too at times.  The album as a whole needs more melody.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Halfway through the new Imellitteri. It's pretty rifftastic and shredrageous. Enjoying it a lot. Definitely worth the purchase. It's the first thing I've bought or heard for that matter from them.

I must admit that I feel like I'm hearing the same song over and over again. :lol
It's a good song though.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 04:45:47 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Halfway through the new Imellitteri. It's pretty rifftastic and shredrageous. Enjoying it a lot. Definitely worth the purchase. It's the first thing I've bought or heard for that matter from them.

I must admit that I feel like I'm hearing the same song over and over again. :lol
It's a good song though.

and never goes longer than 4 minutes!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

It's a good song though.

and never goes longer than 4 minutes!

This album is like the heavy metal version of PE.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Big Hath asked for some thoughts on the new Raven.

In short ,it's a very good album.  I don't really care for a lot of their real early stuff but their influence can't be denied - they really aren't given their due actually.  These guys took out Metallica to open for them for Kill Em All. And given their age (esp when it comes to the vox) the performances are great and they sound quite reinvigorated.

When I saw that the album had 14 tracks + 1 bonus I was a bit concerned because that usually means filler galore but it's a surprisingly consistent album and well up there with their best album, which for me is Life's A Bitch from 1987.   There's a nice tribute in there to Bon Scott too with the track Thunder Down Under.   

Basically if you're a Raven fan already or if you like your metal straight forward & heavy a la AC/DC , Krokus and the like then it's certainly worth a listen.

Rating: 80%
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 08:58:03 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Did anyone catch the Michael Schenker/Kirk Hammet episode of That Metal Show.

I thought it was fantastic. I really love Kirk, especially when he is talking about music. He comes across as very passionate and always has.
And there is no greater flake in music than Michael Schenker, but he was very cool during the show.

Great jam too!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Got it DVR'd.  Haven't watched it yet.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Counselor of Prog

Rush- 2112

:metal
"The only closed systems in the universe are hardened hearts and darkened minds." Scott Becker, Valley of the Shadow

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Having a listen to the Impelitteri.  It's metal by numbers, but pretty enjoyable.  Seems a lot stronger than a lot of his past works.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
It's consistent in good and bad ways , but yes........one of his better discs.  He was releasing an album a year there for a while ,but the last couple have seen 5 year gaps which probably ups the chances of some decent material.

He's sure been around a while - I'm listening to his debut EP today as part of my 1987 listening.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I also had a listen to the Project Arcadia albums.  They were pretty good, but nothing that knocked my socks off.  I keep spinning Trail of Murder though, that is a killer, killer album.  I can see why you rate it so highly, great stuff.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Glad you like it as much as I do - there's just something about the songwriting on (rare) discs like that which is just so far above the usual stuff.  You actually feel like you're listening to something "fresh" , yet still familiar. 

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I had sampled some of the Project Arcadia album but I felt it lacked substance.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I had sampled some of the Project Arcadia album but I felt it lacked substance.

I can understand that.  Check Trail of Murder, pronto!

Brent, was that their only album?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Yes, their only album.  It was effectively an Urban Breed solo album with some of the guys he had worked with in other bands.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'll check it out. I LOVE the Serious Black album.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks Kade........there goes another off the roulette list  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks Kade........there goes another off the roulette list  :lol

Whoops, haha, sorry mate.  Gotta keep the competition tight.  That would have been a home run  :hat

I'll check it out. I LOVE the Serious Black album.

I listen to this a lot too, I think it's great also.

Just finishing listening to Red Zone Rider.  Meh, it's fine but nothing I would go back to.  Just seems generic and uneccesary.  Gonna listen to the new UFO now.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
  Gonna listen to the new UFO now.
UFO is one of my favorite all time bands, along with DT and Iron Maiden.

Unfortunately, I will say that Vinnie era UFO has been a huge letdown. I had high hopes for them, especially after a pretty strong You Are Here.  But they have settled into an almost Rolling Stonesish band. The best thing I can say about the new album is that it's better than the last one.

The good thing about Stars is that this is most shredding solos that Vinnie has had. The solo on Sugar Cane is mind blowing.

Also, with this album, the Vinnie era now officially has more album than the Chapman era, and the same as the first Schenker era.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Listened to Vinnie's Mind's Eye yesterday........he would be consciously slowing himself down to play with UFO I reckon :lol
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 06:38:29 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
  Gonna listen to the new UFO now.
UFO is one of my favorite all time bands, along with DT and Iron Maiden.

Unfortunately, I will say that Vinnie era UFO has been a huge letdown. I had high hopes for them, especially after a pretty strong You Are Here.  But they have settled into an almost Rolling Stonesish band. The best thing I can say about the new album is that it's better than the last one.

The good thing about Stars is that this is most shredding solos that Vinnie has had. The solo on Sugar Cane is mind blowing.

Also, with this album, the Vinnie era now officially has more album than the Chapman era, and the same as the first Schenker era.

Yeah, I don't really need to listen to this one again, although, Sugar Cane was amazing.  It is better than the last one, but just same as the Red Zone Rider, it's just a safe and really uneccesary album, as is most of the Vinnie UFO stuff.  Even with Vinnie's solos, I don't really think that would make the album be on repeat for me.  I do agree that You Are Here is a great album.

I'm realyl starting to think that with all the music I was buying, I think I was making myself like stuff, or pretending taht I really dig it when in fact, a lot of music was just meh.  I think I don't give a shit these days, and it doesn't matter who it is anymore, if it's below par, I ain't gonna get it.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Wolf, as long as you keep your purchases to 250 albums a month, you'll enjoy them more

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Wolf, as long as you keep your purchases to 250 albums a month, you'll enjoy them more
:lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

:lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
new album due mid June

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The last couple have been decent at best, especially considering I finally got into their older stuff a few months back.

This one may be an instant purchase though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Not that many know of them, but new Black Majesty in July.  Always put out solid material.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I just liked the cover of the Virgin Steele  ;D   I haven't paid much attention to their recent output either.

Funnily enough one thing of theirs that I do revisit from time to time is the vid for Perfect Mansions - maybe it's just me but it's so seriously bad that I just love it.  I'm not even sure how much of it was intended that way - Defeis almost takes out the guitarist swinging his arms around and it was left in.  Whatever it is........I think it's awesome :angel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCx4pmCFvBM

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I just liked the cover of the Virgin Steele  ;D   I haven't paid much attention to their recent output either.

Funnily enough one thing of theirs that I do revisit from time to time is the vid for Perfect Mansions - maybe it's just me but it's so seriously bad that I just love it.  I'm not even sure how much of it was intended that way - Defeis almost takes out the guitarist swinging his arms around and it was left in.  Whatever it is........I think it's awesome :angel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCx4pmCFvBM

That's GOLD.  Love it.  Don't know why I haven't checked any of their video clips, just when you think the band can't get any more epic, you watch that and boom!  I feel so powerful and filled with self belief haha.  Defeis is a master.  He's like Cher, but probably more attractive.  That quick shot of him in theatpurple vest was amazing.  Edward is a great guitarist too, no tricks or effects, just classy lead playing.

What's the go with this song too?  I believe it's available on the re-release of AOC but not the original.  Any ideas Brent?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
That's right - I believe the 1997 re-issue was the first to have Perfect Mansions.     

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I think that video was released when the deluxe edition of AOC was released. It is gold

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Was it a new song for the re-release?