Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 904737 times)

Offline Lowdz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7UxOrBb0Is

Whitesnake's new version of Burn.  Fucking horrible.  Why is Reb's guitar playing so shit?

Again, Jorn's recent version is much better.  Hell, WASP's version from their last album was a ton better too.

Jorn's version is terrible, completely unlistenable. His singing is of course great, but musically it's a trainwreck. You can't tell what beat it's even supposed to be on because of the crappy triggered metal drumming, and the guitars are awful. Original > everything.

I thought the new Whitesnake cover was slightly better than their Stormbringer cover. Musically I thought it was overall decent, but Coverdale can't sing that song as good as the original even tuned down, and the solos aren't up to the original.

Its a really stupid idea to redo songs which had awesome vocals when you can't sing anymore.

I love this one though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm2tfr5sCH4
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 08:06:12 AM by Lowdz »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
You go out of your way to disagree with me hey?  :lol

Don't take it personally bud, I happen to disagree with everyone on DTF when it comes to music. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
You go out of your way to disagree with me hey?  :lol

Don't take it personally bud, I happen to disagree with everyone on DTF when it comes to music. :lol

I know, only kidding mate, I honestly can't remember the last time I've ever been offended by someone.  :lol

In reference to Paul's link, it's also dumb I might add to redo some of these songs without Glenn Hughes.  I know Coverdale explains that a bit in the EPK, but still pointless IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAabzMP5WSg

Impelitteri video.  Actually pretty solid, some nice riffs in there.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
That was my favourite on the album by some way.  Good to see Yngwie on vocals too  :lol  ......I may well be the only one who sees some resemblance.  :angel:
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAabzMP5WSg

Impelitteri video.  Actually pretty solid, some nice riffs in there.

very good! I also really like the album cover!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
:lol How did I know you guys were gonna like that one? Musically I liked it, but that chorus was cheesy as hell.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I haven't posted any old stuff for reminiscing of late so...........

Earlier today I caught up with an old friend - unfortunately one of the very few people I know outside of DTF who I can talk to about decent music  :lol  He insisted that I open the vaults and get out some Van Halen stuff.   None of this has seen the light of day since we moved house 10 years ago.

I cannot believe what I have stashed away - it's been that long. I had to pull literally dozens of cardboard rolls (each filled with at least half a dozen wall size posters) just to get to the other stuff.

Anyway.........now that I've started I may actually go through some of this stuff in coming months.  I really want to find the photo of me and EVH too.  So below we have framed mint condition tees from all of the full headlining world tours with DLR from (left to right) 1979 thru 1984 , each with a backstage pass and concert ticket.  I took a photo as I thought some of you guys might enjoy a gander.

I had a bit of trouble with the reflective surfaces , hence the angle.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Cool stuff!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Bloody hell, nice Brent.

:lol How did I know you guys were gonna like that one? Musically I liked it, but that chorus was cheesy as hell.

We expect the cheese with someone like Impelitteri.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
That's a cool picture, Brent!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

Cool stuff!

Nice. I just wore my shirtsto death and binned them Regretting it now.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Soulspell cover of Helloween's We Got The Right:
https://bravewords.com/news/soulspell-video-of-helloween-cover-we-got-the-right-released-features-appearances-by-tim-ripper-owens-blaze-bayley-arjen-lucassen-more

Some damn good singers I've never heard of on this. I'm thinking where the hell are they going to wedge Blaze Bayley in this? :lol
The beginning of course! Brilliant!

The original Helloween version might be the singly greatest vocal these ears have every heard, especially considering Kiske was just 20 when he recorded it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Will check that one out later when I'm not at work.  Yeah, Blaze singing on a Kiske song boggles the mind a bit.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Cool stuff!

Nice. I just wore my shirtsto death and binned them Regretting it now.

I wore a few of my faves to death and really had no choice but to chuck 'em.   The main one that comes to mind was a Satriani Flying In A Blue Dream tour shirt which had the album cover on the front and cool flouro green guitar on the back. I literally wore it until it fell to bits.

One interesting thing I found with VH shirts was that some of the best looking ones were sold out of the back of vans at the gigs.  I'm sure the same thing will be happening in October when I see KISS but they'll be shit  :lol Most of the present day Ebay sellers either lie or are unaware that they're "unofficial" but they were really amazing and command big dollars (many hundreds).   I'll see if I can find one of mine around here later.   Perhaps TAC might know but I bought a couple of shirts off Matt Bruck (Ed's guitar tech) back in the early 90's and he said that the rumour was that Vince Neil was behind a lot of these cool bootleg VH shirts in the early 80's.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:57:25 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
One interesting thing I found with VH shirts was that some of the best looking ones were sold out of the back of vans at the gigs.  I'm sure the same thing will be happening in October when I see KISS but they'll be shit  :lol Most of the present day Ebay sellers either lie or are unaware that they're "unofficial" but they were really amazing and command big dollars (many hundreds).   I'll see if I can find one of mine around here later.   Perhaps TAC might know but I bought a couple of shirts off Matt Bruck (Ed's guitar tech) back in the early 90's and he said that the rumour was that Vince Neil was behind a lot of these cool bootleg VH shirts in the early 80's.

I did not know about the Vince Neil connection. Yes, the bootleg t shirts were always awesome to see. I don't remember buying many. They were usually the 100% cotton ones that became completely deformed after one wash/dry cycle. But what I remember what the bootleggers did do a great job with was that if there was a decent opening bad, they would find a way to include both the headliner and the opener on the same shirt.

I had four trash bags filled with my shirts when I moved out of my parents' house. Somewhere along the way, 3 of them disappeared. I have one still in my attic. At one point in my life, I could've worn a different Iron Maiden shirt for a month without repeats.

Here's probably my favorites:

Not showing off my Mangini pic, but I am showing off my Fix For '96 shirt. Love the Majesty logo in the corner. The shirt is over 18 years old but in great shape as I only wear it to DT shows for the most part.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Is that Iron Maiden one official or bootleg Tim?    Iron Maiden must be about the only rock band I don't have a t-shirt for .......I've really only got into them a bit in recent years , but not much at all back in the day.

While we're at it, I found a few others that were handy without having to dig too deep.  The first couple are those boot shirts I was talking about.   I never wear them as they're too small and a touch daggy but the designs (glitter and all) are fanfuckingtastic despite being a bit off centre.  I especially love the one with DLR in full flight and Alex's drumsticks on fire..and DLR in jockstrap and dressing gown on the back  ;D  In pretty good nick for 35 year old shirts too.

The next is a 1982 satin bomber jacket and the last is a Balance Tour roadie jacket.  You can imagine how nuts I would've been if I actually live in the US and saw these tours  :lol 

FRONT
BACK

FRONT
BACK

FRONT
BACK

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The shirts I posted are all official.

I actually remember some of those old VH shirts!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Really like those shirts!!! Brent was everything bought at concerts?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Really like those shirts!!! Brent was everything bought at concerts?

None of them were jj - for starters I'm not that old  :P   I brought most of this stuff in from contacts I had in the US in the early 90's.   The stuff I've posted is a small sample ,but some of my favourite things.  I hate to think what I paid in shipping , let alone the items themselves.  :omg:

« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 03:28:49 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Speaking of Vince    :metal   Better than expected actually :lol

https://youtu.be/zg5K0JGWFXI

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
   Better than expected actually :lol

Well considering that it was expected to absolutely blow, and the fact that it just sucks, yeah, I guess you're right! :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
If you're watching Kade ..............I know you buy a fair portion of your CDs via JB Hifi .  There's a one day sale of 20% off all CDs and DVDs today (Friday) for online orders.  Just so as ya know.....

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
If you're watching Kade ..............I know you buy a fair portion of your CDs via JB Hifi .  There's a one day sale of 20% off all CDs and DVDs today (Friday) for online orders.  Just so as ya know.....

I've actually never purchased online from JB, only instore but 20% is a great deal.  Might have a look today.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
JB is great to order from online. The shipping is fast and cheap.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
JB is great to order from online. The shipping is fast and cheap.

Good to know man.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I don't know what it's like if you buy a lot in one go, but for single items it's only $1. That's hard to beat. It would probably cost you more in fuel to go to the store yourself. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
For the last few years I've used WOWHD.  Free shipping if you spend over $80.  Their prices are great but their delivery times can be dodgy.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Doro a couple of weeks ago - looking and sounding pretty good at 50.  One of my fave Warlock songs

https://youtu.be/70Yk1FL1eq8?t=29

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'd bang her hard.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I'd bang her hard.

Okey dokey  :lol

By the way I only recently stumbled onto her 25 Years in Rock DVD - haven't bought it yet but from what I saw on Youtube it looks to be a cracker with guest appearances from the likes of Lemmy, Scorps, Axel Rudi Pell , Tarja (Nightwish).

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So today is the anniversary of the deaths of Cozy Powell, Layne Staley, Mark St. John, and Kurt Cobain. WOW!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
So today is the anniversary of the deaths of Cozy Powell, Layne Staley, Mark St. John, and Kurt Cobain. WOW!

wow is right

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I feel much safer today being a non rock star.

www.theguitardojo.com.au