Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896951 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Listening to the ending, it sounded like it was way past Ben's bedtime. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Art

Don't know if this is the right thread to do it, but i want to recommend a podcast called "Dead Rock Stars", by Mick Wall and Joel McIver.

They talk about a different deceased rock star each episode, but they focus on their personal experiences (well, mostly Mick's) with the musician.

It's very funny, and FULL of great stories.

Cheers

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Don't know if this is the right thread to do it, but i want to recommend a podcast called "Dead Rock Stars", by Mick Wall and Joel McIver.

They talk about a different deceased rock star each episode, but they focus on their personal experiences (well, mostly Mick's) with the musician.

It's very funny, and FULL of great stories.

Cheers

Thanks Art - will check it out.

Hopefully they have a different definition of "rock" to the R'n'R Hall of Fame  ::)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I couldn't find the Power Metal thread, so I'll put this here. Stumbled upon it tonight.

New Vision Divine video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTSJXi3kQUs
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
An oldie but goodie!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfljslVqXCk

To the coolest guys in the coolest thread!

Merry Christmas, Brothers!!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
An oldie but goodie!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfljslVqXCk

Nice comment too -  Sleigher  :lol

To the coolest guys in the coolest thread!

Merry Christmas, Brothers!!

Ditto that  :metal   You guys are the reason I keep coming back to DTF.  The DT side sure isn't :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I think I last posted on the DT side six years ago lol

Have a Metal Christmas and a Head Banging New Year! :metal :metal :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
And Happy Festivus!!!!  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I think I last posted on the DT side six years ago lol

Have a Metal Christmas and a Head Banging New Year! :metal :metal :metal

:lol  (DT side)

You've been having the most metal Xmas of all time mate - nothing but Xmas albums all week.  :)

While I think of it there's a bunch of shows for me to drip feed out over the next month or two - will get on to that shortly and try to explain how all the 2017 stuff works .  It seems totally irrelevant now (Best of 2017) but just forget 2017 and think of it as lots of new music to discover  :)

As far as 2018 goes I have done a reasonable job of keeping across things -  all the usual research and sampling of albums to decide what is worth following up on has been done. So I do have my list ready to go - just haven't listened to much from 2018 as far as full albums go.   I will do a big 2018 binge listen through Jan-Feb and hopefully have a (much less extensive) Best of 2018 to share before Christmas 2019  :angel:

In the meantime if anyone wants to share their Best of 2018 in hard rock and metal.................go for it .  It'll help me make sure I haven't missed anything.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent if you will take requests, my top two albums of 2018 are hands down Judas Priest and Fifth Angel.

Stand out songs from those two albums are “No Surrender” and “Dust to Dust”

:metal to Double B

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent if you will take requests, my top two albums of 2018 are hands down Judas Priest and Fifth Angel.

Sure - and I am certain Priest will feature in my best too.   That's one album I have played a bit .  No Surrender was in my top couple from the album too.  :metal

Haven't got around to the Fifth Angel yet but I do have it here and ready to spin.  Might check it out right now  :)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
 :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Sure - and I am certain Priest will feature in my best too.   That's one album I have played a bit .  No Surrender was in my top couple from the album too.  :metal

Haven't got around to the Fifth Angel yet but I do have it here and ready to spin.  Might check it out right now  :)

The Fifth Angel is very strong Brent.

Even though I'm the biggest grinch around, Merry XMas to all you metal brothers!!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I've been waiting for that best of '17 for 12 months!  A 'best of' from B&B is NEVER irrelevant.

As for my top albums of '18, well, the one that is likely to be my AOTY is not exactly fit for a B&B podcast, and I haven't put together my proper ranking yet (I still have about 5 albums to listen to).  I'll just mention a few random gems:

Sergey Golovin - Sculpture.  Ruslan gave this to Kade in his roulette.  Very tasty instrumental album
Kissin Dynamite - Ecstacy.  Why have I never heard of these guys before?  This is their 6th album!
Ethernity - The Human Race Extinction.  Hard to believe it's *not* Magali Luyten on vocals.
Walls of Babylon - A Portrait of Memories.  Forget how I stumbled across this one, but it's a beaut
Trond Holter - Vlad the Impaler.  This time, it's Nils K. Rue on vocals.  Not quite as good as Swing of Death, but still really good.
Hexed - Netherworld.  Female led melodic metal
Dark Horizon - Aenigma.  Kinda a mashup of Pretty Maids/Kamelot, with a splash of Accept and Saxon.  Very solid Hard Rock.  I think you boys would dig this one.
Helion Prime - Terror of the Cybernetic Space Monster.  Some cheesy power metal, but in a good way.

And two more to make it a nice round 'top' 10... these are TAC-comendations that I just listened to this week, and they were both insta-purchases

Diving Ascension - The Uncovering
Primitai - The Calling

P.S. Guardians of Time - Tearing up the World.  This is one I'm partway thru as I type this... one of the 5 that I still have to listen to.  Some straight-up kickass metal that you blokes would love.  I'm diggin this bigly.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Looking forward to both podcasts Brent. You missed my 2017 roulette so I'm interested to see what you thought the best stuff was in there, no doubt there will be a good amount that I haven't heard. And 2018 was a pretty slow year for me so I need all the help I can get filling in the blanks there.

Sergey Golovin - Sculpture.  Ruslan gave this to Kade in his roulette.  Very tasty instrumental album
That's a weird way of spelling David. :loser:

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
That's a weird way of spelling David. :loser:

:doh:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Yep, definitely not me - I had to search through the promo albums folder to find anything for that particular round. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Trond Holter - Vlad the Impaler.  This time, it's Nils K. Rue on vocals.  Not quite as good as Swing of Death, but still really good.

Woah, didn't even know about this one.  This is definitely one to check out.

Offline Lowdz

Yeah, it’s pretty good.

The Kissin’ Dynamite is really good. They were one of those bands when they first came out they had a couple of good songs. The album was average and then nothing really grabbed me. Gave it a go without any expectation and really enjoyed it.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, it’s pretty good.

The Kissin’ Dynamite is really good. They were one of those bands when they first came out they had a couple of good songs. The album was average and then nothing really grabbed me. Gave it a go without any expectation and really enjoyed it.

Yeah - Kissin Dynamite have been pretty hit and miss over the years............pretty typical of the young wave of retro glam metal/rock bands .  But the new one is getting very positive reviews.

I'll be honest - I wasn't as rapt in the Fifth Angel as most here.  I think it's a pretty clear third in their catalogue.    There's no doubt it's a quality effort but , dare I say it,  the vocal melodies in many of the songs sound like they are being sung/written by a part-timer.    He does a great job but I have found a similar effect in some other bands where a drummer/guitarist takes over the lead vocals , regardless of the merit of the vocal performance.     Most of the songs were enjoyable for me but there was something missing in most of them IMHO and the title track was surprisingly weak.

My clear favourite was actually This Is War and the final track (Hearts of Stone) could well be second.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
This Is War is awesome!!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
My clear favourite was actually This Is War and the final track (Hearts of Stone) could well be second.

Huh, two of my least favs there.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

But are you being objectively or subjectively?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

But are you being objectively or subjectively?

:lol I get it, even though I didn't even step foot in that thread.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
 :lol  :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
That thread objectively gives me a headache.  It's like the P/R section has managed to escape it's asylum cell and hiding away in GMD.

EDIT:  I see it has been locked up again :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent you are being objective. I think.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That thread objectively gives me a headache.  It's like the P/R section has managed to escape it's asylum cell and hiding away in GMD.

EDIT:  I see it has been locked up again :lol

My time is precious at the moment so as I said, I didn't even look at it but by the sounds I should put aside some time and check it out.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Not a wise objective.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Not a wise objective.

Now this opinion is subjective

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Not a wise objective.

Seems like I should be rejective of this idea. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Okay we have "stopped" ...........which can be an adjective.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 05:54:40 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Back to the rock!!!  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni