Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896916 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
That looks fantastic.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That looks fantastic.

Yeah man, I've been waiting for this for years now.  Hopefully not too many overdubs, or at least sloppy noticeable ones anyway.  Seemed pretty on point from that trailer though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
These guys look like clowns,

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
These guys look like clowns,

I thought this was Whitesnake at first with Coverdale turning into a combo of Hagar and Snider.  Deen could use this photo for his next mugshot pic too.

They need bigger scarfs too.  They aren't big enough.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Coverdale turning into a combo of Hagar and Snider. 

:rollin

I totally see it!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
If not for Google Picture search, I would've had zero idea who this "badasses" were.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Coverdale turning into a combo of Hagar and Snider. 

:rollin

I totally see it!

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Nailed it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Lowdz

So, the Ten album.

It’s a Ten album 😀

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So, the Ten album.

It’s a Ten album 😀

So it’s actually a Five? ;D

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
What? I was listening to "Jeremy" and didn't hear you.

Am I off here?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
What? I was listening to "Jeremy" and didn't hear you.

Am I off here?

Such a classic album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
So, the Ten album.

It’s a Ten album 😀

I'll try and check it out on the weekend.  The first song I heard though was pretty meh.  I liked the last one so I kind of have some expectations for this one.

Offline Lowdz

https://youtu.be/Cg1gzFPAhcM

First track from the Ripper Owens, Chris Caffery, Mark Zonder project. I’m really not a fan of Rippers voice. Underwhelmed.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni

First track from the Ripper Owens, Chris Caffery, Mark Zonder project. I’m really not a fan of Rippers voice. Underwhelmed.

During the chorus, sing "I'm your Turbo Lover/Tell me there's no other" over the top of Ripper's lyrics!  :lol
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Lowdz

During the chorus, sing "I'm your Turbo Lover/Tell me there's no other" over the top of Ripper's lyrics!  :lol

I didn’t realise when I posted there is a discussion on 5his in the AOR thread

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't see the thread you're mentioning, Lowdz.

Offline Lowdz

I don't see the thread you're mentioning, Lowdz.

The official Frontiers factory thread

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh, is that what that thread is about? AOR?  :lol

I totally forgot what it was originally started for...the title has changed so much.

Offline Lowdz

I totally forgot what it was originally started for...the title has changed so much.

True. 😀

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

The thread from the start to where it is currently is like a timeline on the decline of the current modern day AOR as we know it.  It should be referenced and go down in history in any music encyclopedia when it comes to AOR and melodic rock.  The people involved in the thread and their views and opinions defines the state and fall of the genre, nothing else is needed for reference.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I’m really not a fan of Rippers voice. Underwhelmed.

Ripper still has the screams but his lower register seems to have lost a fair bit - a bit like Barnesy (for you Aussies).   Could be the mix but I thought the non-screamo sections were lacking a bit.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I’m really not a fan of Rippers voice. Underwhelmed.

Ripper still has the screams but his lower register seems to have lost a fair bit - a bit like Barnesy (for you Aussies).   Could be the mix but I thought the non-screamo sections were lacking a bit.

It was hard to tell it was Owens, honestly.

I wouldn't say I was underwhelmed in anyway. I would definitely give this album a listen. I actually kinda liked it. I mean, if this is the best song on the album, that'd be disappointing, but It wasn't bad at all.

Offline Lowdz

I see there is a 5 disc box set due from Virgin Steele, a couple of reissued albums a new album and some re-recorded tracks in an orchestral style. I had a read on their website, there’s a write up about it from David Defeis and I have to say he sounds absolutely insane. It sounds exactly like schizophrenic patients write - stream of consciousness bollocks - when they are really ill 😬

I’ll certainly give the albums a listen when they make it to Spotify as he can write a killer tune when he puts his mind to it.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
David Defeis definitely comes across as a strange cat.  But I will say, most of the Virgin Steele albums have been reissued with tons of extra tracks.  Thats what reissues should be like.

Offline Art

I like Virgin Steele, but yeah, David Defeis seems to be pretty out there  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
David Defeis definitely comes across as a strange cat.  But I will say, most of the Virgin Steele albums have been reissued with tons of extra tracks.  Thats what reissues should be like.

Yeah, the reissues I've picked up have been well worth the purchases.  I'll look into this box set for sure.

Offline Lowdz

I’ve always thought that his musical vision was ahead of his talents as a singer and the albums suffered under production that couldn’t do justice to the vision. If he had written for ManowaR, we’d be talking 🤘. Eric Adams would have been awesome on his stuff.

But yes, he’s done reissues the right way.

Offline Lowdz

Just on my way home from seeing Geoff Tate at a pub in Blackpool. Have to say his voice was surprisingly good. Ok, so it’s not 1990 good, perfectly acceptable. Very enjoyable gig. His band were note perfect.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
How was the setlist?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Speaking of ageing singers - I'm not the biggest Maiden fanboy but even I must admit that Bruce is fucking amazing here for his vintage (or even forgetting his age) - good job on the multicam bootleg vid too!

https://youtu.be/t-bHb4dIVMI?t=86
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

How was the setlist?

Short.

It was the whole of Mindcrime plus Best I Can, Silent Lucidity, Empire andJet City Woman.

Although the place was small and Geoff admitted it was probably the smallest gig he’d played, he seemed to enjoy it and he did not come across as at all douchy. There was probably a couple of hundred people there and the reaction was great.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Speaking of ageing singers - I'm not the biggest Maiden fanboy but even I must admit that Bruce is fucking amazing here for his vintage (or even forgetting his age) - good job on the multicam bootleg vid too!

https://youtu.be/t-bHb4dIVMI?t=86

Wish I had time to watch the full thing.  First two songs were crackers and a mighty setlist too.  Bruce does sound pretty fucking good too.  He's hitting highs he's hasn't attempted for years.  Gods amongst men.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
How was the setlist?

Short.

It was the whole of Mindcrime plus Best I Can, Silent Lucidity, Empire andJet City Woman.

Although the place was small and Geoff admitted it was probably the smallest gig he’d played, he seemed to enjoy it and he did not come across as at all douchy. There was probably a couple of hundred people there and the reaction was great.

Yup, that's the set we got here in the U.S. Glad he sounded good and you had a good time. I think those venues are what Tate is going to be doing, particularly now. When I saw him acoustically in 2017, he played for a crowd of less than 30 people, so if it was smaller than that. Wow.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
https://yadi.sk/d/7H7xuIZ-zRG6NA

The link above is to a new show I have done for you guys.   Things have been quiet on the podcast front for a few reasons - my piss poor personal situation and lotsa roulettes on constantly being among them.

Having said that I have been doing plenty of work very gradually in the background and have another 3 shows in the can to drip feed you through the holidays.

The show I am giving you first is something we haven't done in a while - a regular length show with no real theme which is so much easier to put together and more fun for me to be honest.  There is a feature band at the end too.

Oh.............and let me know what you think of our new intro/bumper.   ;)   Ben called in his contacts and pulled off a little coup for us
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 12:43:01 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Boom!

I should have some more time to myself over the weekend, so I'll get my ears around this.

Hope things pick up mate, we appreciate you doing these for us considering.  You're a legend! (And Ben, of course)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 03:57:54 AM by wolfking »