Author Topic: Iamthemorning - Belighted (With Gavin Harrison)  (Read 3027 times)

Offline pfillion

Iamthemorning - Belighted (With Gavin Harrison)
« on: September 19, 2014, 11:53:40 AM »
Wow I have discovered this band yesterday and I already think that their new album will be in my top 10 this year!

https://www.kscopemusic.com/artists/iamthemorning/
https://www.kscopemusic.com/2014/09/15/iamthemornings-belighted-now-new-video-kos/
https://iamthemorningband.bandcamp.com/

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Iamthemorning - Belighted (With Gavin Harrison)
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 02:50:48 PM »
I LOVE them! What humble people and what great music! "~" already was very, very nice, preordered the new CD, listened to the download (great again) and now waiting for the physical copy (and some goodie).

:tup

Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline Xenon

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 04:27:41 PM »
I like them. I have Belighted saved in spotify for a future listen.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 03:53:16 AM »
bump.

I've really been enjoying this band of late. "Belighted" is one of those records worth going back to each time to discover something new. Love the classical element mixed with female vocals. The piano and string arrangements are sublime.

I had no idea Gavin played on this album and that Danny from Anathema was such a big fan.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 04:00:30 AM »
I only know Belighted, but it is really amazing. It's definitely a very consistent album, and I love how most of the songs just flow into each other very naturally. I'm not sure I would go as far as saying it's a top15 or top10 album of the year for me, but it is up there among the better ones. A very nice surprise.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 08:15:08 AM »
bump.

Gleb Kalyadin of iamthemorning has a Self-Titled solo album coming out on February 23rd.

It includes Steve Hogarth, Steven Wilson, Gavin Harrison and Jordan Rudess among other guests.

"The Best of Days" ft Hogarth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi1uHl8uy6E

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 08:28:40 AM »
bump.

Gleb Kalyadin of iamthemorning has a Self-Titled solo album coming out on February 23rd.

It includes Steve Hogarth, Steven Wilson, Gavin Harrison and Jordan Rudess among other guests.

Nick Beggs, not Steven Wilson. :biggrin: There's also Theo Travis, who played with SW on some tours.

But yeah, I'm interested in this. Not a big fan of Hogarth though, but we'll see.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 02:30:44 PM »
I'm a huge fan of iamthemorning and his piano playing, but honestly that song doesn't really do anything for me. Gleb Kalyadin is a phenomenal pianist, but this song doesn't really put a whole lot of emphasis on his playing and he drifts into the background a lot. I do not like the vocals at all, and those lyrics are...something else.

I'll still check out the album, but that song does not make a good first impression. Oh well.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 02:52:54 PM »
bump.

Nick Beggs, not Steven Wilson. :biggrin: There's also Theo Travis, who played with SW on some tours.

But yeah, I'm interested in this. Not a big fan of Hogarth though, but we'll see.

sorry, I misread the press release, thanks!

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 07:27:23 PM »
Discovered in the 2018 release calendar thread that there's a trailer for the album too. It sounds a LOT better than "The Best of Days", and it's boosted my interest for sure! I am definitely not opposed to bringing fugues to prog.

Also, today I learned that iamthemorning is like the perfect "winter" band. I was heading to work listening to Belighted (the album, not the song) this iamthemorning and it fit the atmosphere and weather SO well.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 09:29:38 AM »
Only have Lighthouse so far but really love it....

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 04:53:36 PM »
I listened to Belighted for the first time (and my first time listening to the band in general) and was very impressed. Multiple listens will soon ensue 👌👌👌

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 10:52:22 AM »
Performing a little bit of thread necromancy to say that Gleb Kolyadin (the pianist/composer of iamthemorning) dropped his self-titled solo album a couple of weeks ago (I just found out today) and it's hella lit fam. It doesn't stray too far from the sound of iamthemorning, and while it's not quite as good as their three albums, it's definitely AoTY so far for me. Jordan Rudess, Gavin Harrison, and a few others guest-star on the album, and JR's keyboard solo is one of my favorite parts (especially the absolutely nasty-sounding ending). Highly recommend checking it out!

Offline dparrott

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 01:23:11 PM »
I love the first two albums but Lighthouse was too mellow for me.

And props to Ninjabait for the phrase "hella lit fam"! haha
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2018, 01:32:28 PM »
I reviewed Gleb's album: https://www.musicalypse.net/2018-gleb-kolyadin-gleb-kolyadin-english/ Not as good as Lighthouse (the only iamthemorning I've heard so far), but has plenty of good moments.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2018, 08:52:32 AM »
The new album it’s OUT now and it is BEAUTIFUL!!!

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2018, 08:54:00 AM »
I haven't listened yet, but everyone who ordered on bandcamp should've received a message from Marjana about the shipping delays for the physical copies.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2018, 08:58:14 AM »
I haven't listened yet, but everyone who ordered on bandcamp should've received a message from Marjana about the shipping delays for the physical copies.

Yes... waiting for the signed BR/CD and tshirt bundle and was saddened by her mail

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2018, 03:51:46 PM »
https://iamthemorningband.bandcamp.com/album/ocean-sounds

Ocean Sounds the new LIVE album.

Shot at and named after a remote recording studio on a Norwegian island, the footage offers a behind-the-scenes insight into the recording techniques of two of modern progressive music's most talented composers. The content captures iamthemorning's live set-up from the last three years, with the setlist consisting of songs from their first three studio albums and an unplugged recording of Blue Sea (the first track to be written for the duo's upcoming fourth album and exclusive to the blu-ray).

The studio was designed with panoramic windows that allow the stunning back-drop of Giske Island and the Norwegian Sea to be integrated into the performances (a location that is featured in glorious high-definition on this blu-ray).

Marjana commented, "It was the most inspiring place for us to work in, surrounded by the sea, mountains, wild flowers and gorgeous Norwegian sunsets. All of the natural splendour we don't see that often."

The audio recording, mixing and mastering were handled by regular collaborator Vlad Avy. The film was produced and edited by Miles Skarin at Crystal Spotlight, and the watercolour artwork was designed by Constantine Nagishkin.
credits
released October 19, 2018

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2018, 11:59:05 AM »
I listened to the album this morning and it is beautiful.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2018, 12:13:18 PM »
https://iamthemorningband.bandcamp.com/album/ocean-sounds

Ocean Sounds the new LIVE album.

I mean, yeah, they said the new studio album will see the light in 2019. I'll take a new live album too, these guys are great live.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2019, 11:09:30 AM »
bump.

February 8th:
https://www.facebook.com/iamthemorningpage/photos/a.503385453127939/1488508581282283/?type=3&theater

Happy times, we've booked a recording session for grand piano and voice and will start recording album 4 in a couple of weeks. This time as well as with Lighthouse it's gonna be Mosfilm studio with their gorgeous grand.
The idea is to record all lead vocals and piano together to keep that very special feeling <3
here's a pano from Ocean Sound because i couldn't find a single photo from Mosfilm recordings for Lighthouse. we're good at keeping the archives haha.
Stay tuned! hopefully this time we'll have a little "making of" for you.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2019, 02:45:18 AM »
Marjana Semkina has started a wonderful Patreon where you for $5 / month get videodiaries, blogs and more. Right now there is a lot of in studio diaries giving insights into iamthemorning album IV.

There are multiple tiers. I am on the bedroom covers tier ($10 / month) and get access to more videos.

https://www.patreon.com/marjanasemkina/overview

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2019, 04:05:15 AM »
I've only got their first record. Do you think the other ones are worth getting? (although I know that Gavin was on one of them, or more than one and I'm sure he's done a good job as he always does)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2019, 04:25:09 AM »
All of them are really good. Is it ~ you have? Then you are misding out on a lot of great music.
They also have two great live albums an an album of alternative takes.

All of them available on bandcamp

https://iamthemorningband.bandcamp.com/album/belighted

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2019, 04:31:17 AM »
Yes, it's ~.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2019, 07:45:34 AM »
Yes, it's ~.

If you like that one you should definitely get both Belighted and Lighthouse

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2019, 08:05:59 AM »
On one hand, I really want to support Marjana with this Patreon deal, on the other hand, I can only handle so much projects I have a monthly subscription to, and with our economics being what they are, I think I'll pass for now.

You definitely should get Lighthouse and Belighted if you liked ~ at least a bit. Opinions differ, but I think Lighthouse is their best so far. Curious what they've cooking for their fourth album, and given that I'll be seeing them twice at the end of the month, I'll probably get to speak with them about it for a bit.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2019, 08:23:07 AM »
On one hand, I really want to support Marjana with this Patreon deal, on the other hand, I can only handle so much projects I have a monthly subscription to, and with our economics being what they are, I think I'll pass for now.

You definitely should get Lighthouse and Belighted if you liked ~ at least a bit. Opinions differ, but I think Lighthouse is their best so far. Curious what they've cooking for their fourth album, and given that I'll be seeing them twice at the end of the month, I'll probably get to speak with them about it for a bit.

The small snippets I have heared on the patreon page sound promising.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2019, 08:51:40 AM »

The small snippets I have heared on the patreon page sound promising.

They played two songs from it last time I saw them, also sounded pretty good, so my hopes are high for that one! Will get back to this thread in ~3 weeks to let you guys know how it's going.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2019, 10:19:29 PM »
I thought this was the official thread. :P

I'll check out the review after I've listened to the album.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2019, 09:50:06 AM »
I thought this was the official thread. :P

I'll check out the review after I've listened to the album.

I didn't find it when I looked for it