Author Topic: The Official ProgPower USA & Europe Thread  (Read 19223 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official ProgPower USA & Europe Thread
« Reply #175 on: July 05, 2016, 09:17:19 AM »
My trip is bundled into a work trip so my travel itinerary is pretty much complete and paid for by work so I don't think I will be involved with you guys planning.  I'll be in training during the weekdays from 9-5.

Also just read from facebook:
Breaking news! Blind Guardian to perform the entire "Imaginations from the Other Side" album in North America. Less than 50 tickets remain for Day 1 & 2 of the festival.

:metal :metal :metal :metal I LOVE this album!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #176 on: July 05, 2016, 10:32:25 AM »
I, sadly, am not going.  But if anyone is traveling down to the festival through the Raleigh NC area, let me know so we can hopefully meet up.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: August 24, 2016, 01:32:44 PM »
The time is drawing near, my friends.  Four straight days of progressive metal in Hotlanta.  Oh, baby!!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #178 on: August 24, 2016, 02:52:32 PM »
The time is drawing near, my friends.

Nope. One month left :biggrin:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: August 24, 2016, 03:21:30 PM »
The time is drawing near, my friends.

Nope. One month left :biggrin:

One month?  2 weeks  :biggrin:

I saw they posted the set times for days 3 and 4.  Didn't realize they gave so much time to the opening acts which is pretty cool, but I actually won't be arrive until after 5 since that's when my training ends for work.  I'm also considering not going to night 1.  I found out my work training is actually incredibly difficult and I think by the time I arrive to Atlanta, I may be too tired and need to study that first night.  We shall see.

Otherwise, I am pumped.  Been listening to Haken, Circus Maximus, The Gentle Storm, and the new Devin Townsend lately to get in the zone.  :metal

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #180 on: August 25, 2016, 03:13:02 AM »
Not for ProgPower Europe :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: August 25, 2016, 06:39:20 AM »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #182 on: August 28, 2016, 09:05:43 AM »
Got today off, work my last day tomorrow, and then my vacation starts Tuesday. Leave Wednesday for Buffalo, follow Haken around for a few days, come home for a day and a half and then it's off to Atlanta. Giggity.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: August 28, 2016, 09:40:45 AM »
Got today off, work my last day tomorrow, and then my vacation starts Tuesday. Leave Wednesday for Buffalo, follow Haken around for a few days, come home for a day and a half and then it's off to Atlanta. Giggity.

:metal

Similar although not so much vacation for me.  Saturday I go to PSU for the home opener, Tuesday I fly to Atlanta for 9 days for work (and prog power) then home for Devin Townsend the next day in NYC  :metal going to be a busy and fun month ahead

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: August 30, 2016, 01:57:07 PM »
Gloryhammer is out
ProgPower USA shared Gloryhammer's post.
29 mins ·
Gloryhammer canceled and posted this to their Facebook wall. We just got the news this afternoon. We are speechless at the moment as it was a total shock to us. We are working hard on a replacement and will update you as soon as possible.- Nathan & Milton

Gloryhammer
35 mins ·
My friends, we have grave news. Due to unusual and unprecedented delays in the processing of working visas for the USA necessary to the bands performance, we regret to inform our fans that we will not be performing at Prog Power USA in Atlanta, or at the Whiskey-a-Go-Go in Los Angeles next week. This comes as great disappointment to everyone involved, not least of all us in Gloryhammer, as we have invested vast amounts of time and money in trying to make this happen. In no way, shape or form, are the show promoters responsible for this, and we really hope to make it up to them (and all of you fans) as soon as we can.

The positive news is that we are planning to make this up early next year with our first full headlining tour in North America...more details to come.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #185 on: August 30, 2016, 03:52:09 PM »
Those working visas have been screwing up more bands lately. What is it with the USA that they don't want European bands to perform? It sucks for the festival and all fans (and the band of course!) to have to endure this kind of bureacratic nonsense.
Squ

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: August 30, 2016, 04:29:50 PM »
Those working visas have been screwing up more bands lately. What is it with the USA that they don't want European bands to perform? It sucks for the festival and all fans (and the band of course!) to have to endure this kind of bureacratic nonsense.

I read this happens pretty normally for Progpower (this year is my first experience).  I don't know what the issue is, but it seems to be on the band, not ProgPower.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #187 on: August 30, 2016, 05:03:46 PM »
Awesome. I pretty much guessed a band would drop, and just was hoping it would be one I had no interest in anyway. Hopefully they get a decent replacement.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: August 31, 2016, 09:51:55 PM »
Mike Portnoy is the VIP guest. Not totally sure what that means other than he will be at ProgPower.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: September 06, 2016, 09:07:57 PM »
My flight may have been delayed 2 hours but finally on board and on my way to atlanta. Got class from 9 to 5 tomorrow and will be exhausted but plan on trying to check out stream of passion tomorrow. I have no plans on staying for dragonforce since I've seen then twice recently and am not a fan plus will be lacking sleep. Thursdays a better set of bands for me. Either way, I'm super pumped to be able to go to this and the fact that it's finally here!  :metal :metal

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #190 on: September 07, 2016, 03:09:30 AM »
Mike Portnoy is the VIP guest. Not totally sure what that means other than he will be at ProgPower.

That he's a cool fellow and that he'll probably say some stuff about bands.
Squ

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #191 on: September 13, 2016, 07:03:44 AM »
So, anyone been there/went? I would love to hear some reviews!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: September 13, 2016, 07:17:10 AM »
So, anyone been there/went? I would love to hear some reviews!

It was awesome  :lol I can write something better when I get a chance, which may not be for a bit.  I wrote a short review in the Circus Maximus and Devin Townsend threads.  I'm still in Atlanta and just been too busy to write something out for my whole festival experience. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #193 on: September 13, 2016, 08:06:32 AM »
2,4 more weeks :)
Squ

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #194 on: September 13, 2016, 01:38:36 PM »
Next Wednsday (9/21) I'll finally get to do another broadcast/podcast for When Prog and Power Unite and will be doing music and reviews and such for ProgPower. For now here are some thoughts I posted to Facebook about the festival:

As this year was my first ProgPower USA experience, I'm going to take a page from Jeff DT Teets and instead of ranking performances, just talk about a few of the things I enjoyed and appreciated.
-Since I didn't get my tickets right away, I had to buy them second hand, and so a big thanks goes out to Jeff for connecting me with Navid Rashid so I could get a ticket. You rock Navid!
-Similarly, after planning a big northern road trip with Joey Frevola it was awesome that Chad Belcher took the heavy load on planning things out for Atlanta. Fly in, have a card waiting at the desk, and a great hotel. A big thanks as well to Amanda Whitehead for hanging with us so much throughout the weekend!
-It's clear why all these years in they still use the same venue, it's perfect. Floor for those who want to be up front, and a great rising seated section with almost no bad seats in the house.
-Sound. Coming from RoSfest and NEARfest I expected the volume to go up and the quality to go way down. Volume may have risen a little bit, sound quality may have come down a tad, but for the overall style of music the festival did a great job making everyone sound very good.
-Day 1: Getting to see Ted Leonard perform for, and I'm not even joking, like the 15th time. Spock's Beard was great yet again, but I always particularly enjoy Ted as a vocalist, front man, and player. He does it all, and he does it very well! And Alan Morse is always one of the most entertaining guitar players as well.
-Stream of Passion. Sure, they may be lacking some people I'd like to see, and I may not be too keen on the last two albums, but they put on a good show and I finally got to see Marcela Bovio sing a full set.
-Day 2: Pyramaze being welcoming in the best way possible, by allowing their past two singers to perform along with their current vocalist. People always have singers they prefer, but usually there is a consensus that people like to hear songs sung by their original vocalist, even if they prefer someone else overall. And that's what we got here, great songs performed by the best singer for those songs. And an amazing final track with all 3 performing.
-Circus Maximus: Just incredibly tight and living up to the hype of waiting close to 10 years to see them. As one would expect from the album a very polished sound live. Really everything I hoped for from them was delivered. A+.
-Blind Guardian: I didn't come into the festival a huge Blind Guardian fan, but that may certainly change. As far as acts I wasn't overly familiar with they (along with one other later) were the clear favorites. For 6 guys the instrument separation was great, Hansi was insanely good live, and the overall performance, along with the audience was absolutely nuts. There are bands I'm a huge fan of that I managed to withstand buying merch for, but that show made me immediately get a Blind Guardian shirt.
-Day 3: The Gentle Storm. I would have traded all three sets leading up to this one to have another set. Only complaint was the disturbing lack of a keyboardist leading to a heavy use of a backing track. That aside, their original material was fantastic. Their covers, fantastic, especially seeing two Ayreon songs with Ed, Johan, Marcela, and Anneke performing. Speaking of Anneke, while I may not always like her taking on other roles (most notably The Theater Equation), she is one of the premier female voices in metal doing her own stuff, and showed it off in this set. Add to that Marcela doing backing vocals and what a freaking duo!
-Awaken the Guardian: Flame shield on, this album is not even in the same ballpark as the recently released Theories of Flight. That said this was something special. I finally got to see Frank Aresti on guitar and he did not disappoint, and John Arch nailed that album all these years later. It's amazing that with so little in the way of performances over the past several decades not only did he manage so much more control on his voice, but he managed to stay a great front man as well.
-Day 4: Green Carnation. Kinda annoyed that I was so busy leading up to this festival I didn't have time to check the album out they were going to be performing in full. They got about 2.5 songs in and I ordered it from my seat. An absolutely mind blowing experience. Music was some of the most interesting of the festival, delivery was theatrical, and as the set ended I felt I had truly just experienced something special. CD was delivered today, can't wait to give it some spins.
-Haken! What can I say that I didn't say over the 5 straight days I saw them prior to heading to Atlanta. Ray Hn and company were all that and a box of spinach. Having seen them 12 times now I can say the ProgPower performance was my favorite to date, thanks to the backing vocals being more audible than usual. Be it my position, the bigger venue, or Jerry Guidroz doing me a solid it added a whole new dimension to the show. People can get excited about Mike Portnoy ringing a gong all they want, but as Portnoy himself said, it was all about the 90 amazing minutes that proceeded that. So glad I was able to get up on the rail for this one.
-Devin Townsend. I am not a huge fan of Devin's music. Some stuff I love, some I hate, a lot I'm indifferent to. That said I've seen him twice now and he is one of the best entertainers in metal. From his jokes to his performance everything about him helps you have a good time. I can't complain about the setlist, as it was pretty well suited to me, and I even got to hear an acoustic version of one of my favorite tracks, Ih-Ah.
-Finally, the after party. Much like at RoSfest it's great to have a place each night to chill and talk to friends and performers. I stayed progressively later each night, and loved relaxing at the Artmore before heading back to my own hotel.
I'm sure I'm forgetting people and things, but that's a good start!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: September 13, 2016, 01:41:02 PM »
-Day 4: Green Carnation. Kinda annoyed that I was so busy leading up to this festival I didn't have time to check the album out they were going to be performing in full. They got about 2.5 songs in and I ordered it from my seat. An absolutely mind blowing experience. Music was some of the most interesting of the festival, delivery was theatrical, and as the set ended I felt I had truly just experienced something special. CD was delivered today, can't wait to give it some spins.

Uh, no offense, but what? The whole album is one big song. There are no sub-tracks whatsoever, it's just a huge hour-long song.

Did they play anything else other than LoD, DoD?
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #196 on: September 13, 2016, 01:42:05 PM »

Uh, no offense, but what? The whole album is one big song. There are no sub-tracks whatsoever, it's just a huge hour-long song.

Well, not owning it it's hard to know that. :lol

So I ordered it about 10-15 minutes in after what seemed like 2 or 3 songs. :lol

Edit: Also, fun fact, I had noticed before the show they did not have the album available for purchase at the show, which seemed weird.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: September 13, 2016, 01:46:36 PM »
Weird indeed!

But yeah, that's cool. The first fifteen or twenty minutes are definitely very impressive on this one. In fact, the whole album is spectacular—the only section I dislike is the one featuring female vocals in the middle. The guitar solo around ~40 or 45 minutes mark is one of my favourite solos ever.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #198 on: September 13, 2016, 01:56:17 PM »
Not heard anything by them. How are the vocals?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #199 on: September 13, 2016, 01:58:05 PM »

They have a 70 minute song Tim.   :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #200 on: September 13, 2016, 01:59:46 PM »
Is it tracked or if you like a part 40 minutes in, do you have to fast forward?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: September 13, 2016, 02:00:28 PM »

They have a 70 minute song Tim.   :lol

First, make it 60 minutes, and second, it is awesome. :biggrin:

The vocals are nothing impressive but not too shabby. There are like 10 seconds of growls in the whole 60 minutes song. But I don't think they'll be up your alley, Tim.

And it's not tracked. Here's my writeup for the album, where you can check my favourite part too:

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=43039.msg1908517#msg1908517

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #202 on: September 13, 2016, 02:02:21 PM »
Is it tracked or if you like a part 40 minutes in, do you have to fast forward?

One whole song.  The y do have a lot shorter songs that I think you would like.  Try "A Blessing In Disguise" & "The Quiet Offspring".
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #203 on: September 13, 2016, 02:05:33 PM »
OK...I'll check them out.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #204 on: September 13, 2016, 02:38:58 PM »
Cool review :)
Squ

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: September 14, 2016, 06:05:43 AM »
Weird indeed!

But yeah, that's cool. The first fifteen or twenty minutes are definitely very impressive on this one. In fact, the whole album is spectacular—the only section I dislike is the one featuring female vocals in the middle. The guitar solo around ~40 or 45 minutes mark is one of my favourite solos ever.

Agreed. I wish they'd just left it as an ambient sax solo (or encouraged her to stay in key, anyway). It's been one of my favourite pieces of music for 14ish years and I still can't get behind the vocal solo. The rest, as you say, is genius!

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: September 14, 2016, 10:19:00 AM »
Haken was my favorite performance of PPUSA.  They blew me away and mesmerized and energized me from start to finish.  I actually passed Diego after their set and told him they were the best of the festival, which was kinda cool!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: September 16, 2016, 05:19:28 PM »
So for my review...

tl;dr version:

Fucking awesome  :metal :metal :metal

Long version:

This trip to Atlanta was a business training trip, so I had class from 9-5 during the day, which lead to me missing all of the early bands for the festival.  Also due to flight delays, I got into Atlanta around 2am on Wednesday then went to class and finally got to Centerstage in time to catch the end of Stream of Passion.  Was never a huge fan, but it was cool to see them and Marcela in my only opportunity ever since they are breaking up soon.  There was a massive delay before Spocks Beard so I checked the place out and even briefly ran into Nick and Jingle.  Spocks Beard was never really my thing, maybe too proggy (more of a power fan myself), but they were solid live.  I didn't stay for the whole set, I was pretty exhausted.  First night was fun, but definitely not the night I came for.  I met a few people this night that were really cool and nice.  Security and the bar tenders were great.

So for night two I got there in time to see the end of Pyramaze.  I wasn't familiar with them, but they seemed pretty good, I should follow up and check them out.  Then came one of the bands I really wanted to see, Circus Maximus.  They were great!  I was slightly dissapointed they went for more shorter songs from the two newest albums and not a whole lot of the longer songs that I really like such as Loved Ones.  However, Chivalry and Architect of Fortunes were great live.  They sounded great and the bass player was really into working the crowd.  Great performance.  Then came Blind Guardian.  I've seen them a couple times before and knew they would be great, but they played my favorite album of theirs, Imaginations from the Other Side.  I was going nuts for them.  They sounded great, but they did mention they were very jet lagged.  Probably my favorite time seeing them though.

(I believe Nick is pretty easily seen in this one  :lol)

Circus Maximus - Game of Life https://youtu.be/57mEUdYSvUo
Blind Guardian - Morded's Song https://youtu.be/Z2EEdx-lBMc

Night 3 was really only a single band night for me.  I was DYING to see The Gentle Storm.  Probably my only shot to ever see them.  I had an exam that afternoon for my class so I actually blew through it to make sure I got to the venue in time to see them (I'm also pretty sure I got a 95% or above).  They were better than I could imagine.  Sucked that they didn't have a keyboard player and also that the previous touring guitarist (The girl from Delain) also wasn't with them, but that band is really about Anneke's vocals.  Her mixed with Marcela was music to my soul.  The band (while not the whole band) was also on FIRE.  They rocked the place.  This performance might have been worth the 4 day admission alone honestly.  I stayed through to the beginning of Fate's Warning.  Mingling with people, I did notice the day 3/4 crowd was a bit different than the day 1/2 crowd.  All good though, everyone I met was so nice.  I met a guy who did Bruce Air and saw Iron Maiden 126 times, and I also met a guy from Japan who came for the festival.  Also plenty of locals.

The Gentle Storm - The Storm https://youtu.be/z9Fbb5Ne2Uc

Night 4 was the other night I was super excited about.  I really got sucked into Devin Townsend by watching the Retinal Circus which featured Anneke so when I saw the announcement that she would perform with him, I knew this was something I needed to see.  Boy did this pay off.  But first, there was Haken.  They were a band I had just started listening to, only knowing their newest release Affinity.  I have been obsessed with that album so I was really excited to see them even though I had never heard of them when this show was first announced.  They were something special.  I feel like this band had fulfilled my Dream Theater progressive cravings.  Part of me feels like they could be the next really popular prog metal band.  The performance was AMAZING.  The musicianship was out of this world.  I was interested to see how the vocals would be live and they did not disappoint. I had been chatting with a group of guys and ended up pretty much chilling with them the entire night, EVERYONE was singing the songs together.  Then came Dev.  There were quite a few technical difficulties during the set but honestly, I feel like those experiences make concerts awesome.  It requires improv and shows the humanity in it all.  It was really great from the curtain not opening to the acoustic guitar being off to Annekes mic not being on for the encore.  Dev is a stand up dude and he kept the crowd laughing along and smiling the entire night.  They did a special set of different songs including a cool version of Summer of 69, Angel, and the live debut of one of my favorite new songs, Offer Your Light.  They played until about 12:30am.  What a concert and end to the event.

Haken - Earthrise https://youtu.be/yrXlaMVEETY
Devin Townsend Project - Angel https://youtu.be/qe3zszfuyUw

As a total, it was probably the biggest group of awesome metal heads I had ever been around.  Everyone was simply nice and friendly.  As a solo traveler and concert goer, it was something special and welcoming.  Also should add that I met a group of guys who I remembered from moshing with them at the Avantasia concert in NYC back in March.  They drove down for the show.  Just a great experience and the venue was PERFECT.  Sound wasn't always great, but the seating and pit, plus the freeness to roam was something different and unique.

Definitely would attend another one, although next year's slate doesn't totally interest me honestly.