Author Topic: The Official ProgPower USA & Europe Thread  (Read 19217 times)

Offline Riceloft

The Official ProgPower USA & Europe Thread
« on: September 19, 2014, 06:02:51 AM »
Hey all,

The ProgPower USA roster for 2015 was announced at the fest last weekend.

Friday:
Anathema (UK)
Falconer (Sweden) - last live performance ever!
Voyager (Australia) - fans pick the setlist
Morgana Lefay (Sweden)
Anubis Gate (Denmark)
Hibria (Brazil)

Saturday:
Angra (Brazil) - performing "Holy Land" in its entirety
Royal Hunt (Denmark/USA) - performing "Paradox" in its entirety
Riverside (Poland)
Dynazty (Sweden)
Persefone (Andorra)
Helker (Argentina)

Tickets go on sale October 4th.

Personally, I'm only familiar with 4 of the bands - Angra, Riverside, Anubis Gate and Voyager.  Still can't wait :).
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 01:33:44 PM by Nick »

Offline senecadawg2

Not sure if I will go or not. Depends on whether or not it looks like Anathema is going to have a full NA tour, since they would be the biggest draw for me. Angra, Royal Hunt, Riverside, and Persefone would be cool too.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Anathema and Riverside are fantastic.  I've heard of some of the others, but not really familiar with them.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Hey all,

The ProgPower USA roster for 2015 was announced at the fest last weekend.

Friday:
Anathema (UK)
Falconer (Sweden) - last live performance ever!
Voyager (Australia) - fans pick the setlist
Morgana Lefay (Sweden)
Anubis Gate (Denmark)
Hibria (Brazil)

Saturday:
Angra (Brazil) - performing "Holy Land" in its entirety
Royal Hunt (Denmark/USA) - performing "Paradox" in its entirety
Riverside (Poland)
Dynazty (Sweden)
Persefone (Andorra)
Helker (Argentina)

Tickets go on sale October 4th.

Personally, I'm only familiar with 4 of the bands - Angra, Riverside, Anubis Gate and Voyager.  Still can't wait :).

As with most years, some amazing stuff, and a lot I don't care about. Really surprising to see them bring on Anathema. Far and away the best part of that festival is Paradox being performed. Highly unlikely I'll end up going, but smart money says Doc will be there that day for sure.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline senecadawg2

Yeah Paradox should be really cool. In fact, those last three on Saturday should all be really good. And Persefone too. I wish it one or two of them were on Friday though, because right now it's feeling a bit imbalanced for my tastes. Voyager might interest me a touch, but apart from them I'd really just be going for Anathema. And yes, I was also really surprised to see them making an appearance.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
I don't have the kind of job that allows me to purchase tickets 10 months in advance and expect to be able to go.

Offline Sad Wings

Not sure if I will go or not. Depends on whether or not it looks like Anathema is going to have a full NA tour, since they would be the biggest draw for me.

Agreed.  They've played in the US quite a few times in the last three years, so I'd say there's a pretty good chance of a full tour.

Offline SoundscapeMN

a lot of people may love to see Holy Land performed in its entirety, but sorry, I'm of the belief, no Andre, no Point.

Offline HolidaysAnoraks

It would be nice if Riverside played all of Anno Domini, since the US missed that tour...

Offline Riceloft

Less than 30 tickets left.... if you're on the fence, its decision time!

Also, Anno Domini is an awful album IMO.  Everything else they've done is great.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Paradox in its entirety is fucking brilliant.

Also, be sure to catch Voyager if you go. They were amazing at ProgPower Europe last weekend!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
It would be nice if Riverside played all of Anno Domini, since the US missed that tour...

I was unable to go, but they did play NEARfest that tour.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Anathema and Riverside are fantastic.  I've heard of some of the others, but not really familiar with them.
You should totally check Angra out. Amazing band.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Bought my ticket yesterday.    ;D
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
You should totally check Angra out. Amazing band.
I like you.  I trust you.  I will follow your suggestion.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline senecadawg2

Yeah Hef, that album in particular (Holy Land) is awesome.

I'll be going to this next year. Anathema, Riverside, Angra, Paradox, and Persefone all have me very excited. Falconer, Voyager, Dynazty, and Helker are also all quite good, from what I've listened to.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
My girlfriend and I will be there.
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Offline Riceloft

And it is now sold out... :D

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
So, apparently Evergrey is now headlining Midweek Mayhem.  I love Hymns for the Broken, so I'm gonna have to check out that show most likely.  Wasn't planning to fly down so early in the week, but can't pass that up.  Unless, of course, Evergrey announces some summer U.S. dates and I can catch them locally.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
Saw that Evergrey news. Really hoping they have other dates. Seeing them live last year took me from a casual fan to a big fan, and I really want to see them again.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Every year I say I'm going to go, yet I still haven't.  One day....

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni

I recommend it.  I've only gone once before, in 2012.  For a progressive metal lover, it's such a great experience. 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran

I recommend it.  I've only gone once before, in 2012.  For a progressive metal lover, it's such a great experience.

Prog metal really is a beautiful genre of music...I always want to discover new bands so it would be such a great opportunity to see different bands too.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
It's kinda like a prog metal convention.  The year I went there were autograph signings, shows, an area for rare compact discs, clinics, post-show parties and bar gatherings.  A little bit of everything.  It's awesome being surrounded by people who are equally passionate about the genre.   
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 02:25:03 PM by Mebert78 »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
It sounds perfect to me!  I'll make it there one day. 

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
We're getting close now!  Anyone else from DTF going?  I'm particularly excited to see Evergrey, Voyager and Riverside.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Hibria freaking rocks!!! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Hibria freaking rocks!!! :metal

new album just out - can be streamed here

https://powerprog.bandcamp.com/album/hibria-european-edition

I haven't listened as yet.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Their first two are great. The last two weren't. The new one sounds great though. I can't get it until next month though. But I AM getting it!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Their first two are great. The last two weren't. The new one sounds great though. I can't get it until next month though. But I AM getting it!

I agree that this is the consensus. But personally, I think that Silent Revenge is still their best. It's a very impressive and killer album for any band! :metal
I have the new one and it's really very good. I just whish that they had Rot (japanese bonus) replacing Legacy, which is maybe their worst song ever.

Edit: by the way, IMO: Skull < Defying < Blind Ride = self titled < Silent Revenge
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 11:36:28 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
Also, Anno Domini is an awful album IMO.  Everything else they've done is great.
LoL. You're funny.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Tomorrow is the day!  Woo-hoo!  Can't wait to be surrounded by my fellow prog lovers!   

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
I've had a huge urge to try and get on Cruise to the Edge this year, despite how impractical and a poor financial decision it is. One thing that could really help give me pause is next years lineup for this. Looking forward to that announcement.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I've had a huge urge to try and get on Cruise to the Edge this year, despite how impractical and a poor financial decision it is. One thing that could really help give me pause is next years lineup for this. Looking forward to that announcement.

Moi aussi.  Gotta scratch this off my bucket list, and next year is gonna be the year - unless there are a bunch of turd bands, but I don't see that ever happening.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
I don't know if I mentioned it publicly before, but unless something has changed, Haken will be one of the bands for next year. So it's already off to about as terrific a start as it can be.