Author Topic: Boston Opera House Set List?  (Read 7321 times)

Offline adamack

Boston Opera House Set List?
« on: September 17, 2014, 03:30:34 PM »
I've been MIA for awhile, so there's a lot that I am not up-to-date on.

Has the full Boston set list been released?

I found this: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2014/boston-opera-house-boston-ma-23c214af.html

But I was not sure if that is going to be the final DVD set list.

It looks great, and I am extremely happy about the SFaM and Awake acts. Also so happy to see Breaking All Illusions and On The Backs Of Angels.

However, I am extremely disappointed not to see Behind The Veil and Surrender To Reason.

Please somebody tell me that there is still a chance that they will play these two wonderful songs!

Would also love to hear The Bigger Picture...

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Re: Boston Opera House Set List?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 03:32:00 PM »
That's the one.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 03:37:11 PM »
They've been playing the same setlist for the entire tour, man.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline adamack

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 03:55:36 PM »

As mentioned, I have not been in the mix about everything lately, so I had no idea.

Also, seeing as how DT has changed up their set list nightly in the past, I did not know how accurate the link was.

Offline adamack

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 03:56:30 PM »
That's the one.

Gotcha, thanks. Great set overall!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 03:59:54 PM »

As mentioned, I have not been in the mix about everything lately, so I had no idea.

Also, seeing as how DT has changed up their set list nightly in the past, I did not know how accurate the link was.

You must have been out of the loop for a while :lol
The last two tours haven't seen changing set lists.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline adamack

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 04:14:45 PM »

Haha, I haven't been out for that long, but I was unaware of this. Always thought they switched up a few songs from night to night, even on the recent tours.

Good to know though

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 04:43:09 PM »

Haha, I haven't been out for that long, but I was unaware of this. Always thought they switched up a few songs from night to night, even on the recent tours.

Good to know though

Ever since Mangini joined, they've been playing with a click-track, so everything sounds pretty much like it did on the studio albums, just with Mangini drumming on the older songs. Because of this, they've sort of gone the Rush-route with improving the show as a whole, between lighting and video syncing with their music, it's a complete concert experience for all of the senses.

There is a bit of the live spontaneity lost, though, without Portnoy. I doubt we'd ever see any song changes or adaptations like we did for the Live At Budokan performance (extended jams and solos, etc.). We also won't see night-to-night setlist changes anymore, unless it is for a special one-off show. Fortunately, between the LALP set (which covered two shows with a slight A/B change in the set as they did that tour) and the 2013 Christmas gift show, we got almost every single song they played live on the whole ADTOE Tour, even one-off performances.

I'm fairly certain, though, this tour hasn't had ANY changes or even one-off performances. The sets have all been the same, not even any A/B switches like they did the previous tour. It's a shame, though, because we ARE missing out on three of my favorite songs from the album - "Behind The Veil", "The Bigger Picture" and "Surrender To Reason".

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 04:45:45 PM »
Totally agree.  Those were the 3 songs I really wanted to hear.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 04:46:36 PM »
In summary, DT's concerts have more become a "production" than a live show in the classic sense.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline gabeh1018

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 05:13:16 PM »
Have they even played Behind the Veil yet?
It's unfortunate the song was not included on their most recent tour
I think it's one of the highlights from DT12

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 05:24:28 PM »

Good to know though

The US legs of ADTOE had alternating A/B setlists that flipped out certain songs:  Outcry/Breaking All Illusions; Far From Heaven/Beneath the Surface; Forsaken/These Walls.  There were some adjustments as the tour went on.  The strictly static setlist came into place with the Evening With format for Along For the Ride tour.

Regarding Behind the Veil -- there is always something to look forward to on the next leg.  Jordan told me at a M&G that he looks forward to playing the songs on DT12 that have not yet been premiered.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 06:25:27 PM »
In summary, DT's concerts have more become a "production" than a live show in the classic sense.

Alright by me....I loved the visuals on this tour and how they synced with the music, and I want them to push it even more on the next tour and get even crazier visuals.

But I do love the classic 'live show' as well.

Offline genome

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 06:35:30 PM »

I'm fairly certain, though, this tour hasn't had ANY changes or even one-off performances. The sets have all been the same, not even any A/B switches like they did the previous tour. It's a shame, though, because we ARE missing out on three of my favorite songs from the album - "Behind The Veil", "The Bigger Picture" and "Surrender To Reason".

-Marc.

The only change throughout the entire tour so far was the inclusion of Pull Me Under at Sonisphere Knebworth and the Masters of Rock Festival.

Offline adamack

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 09:01:56 PM »

Ever since Mangini joined, they've been playing with a click-track, so everything sounds pretty much like it did on the studio albums, just with Mangini drumming on the older songs. Because of this, they've sort of gone the Rush-route with improving the show as a whole, between lighting and video syncing with their music, it's a complete concert experience for all of the senses.

There is a bit of the live spontaneity lost, though, without Portnoy. I doubt we'd ever see any song changes or adaptations like we did for the Live At Budokan performance (extended jams and solos, etc.). We also won't see night-to-night setlist changes anymore, unless it is for a special one-off show. Fortunately, between the LALP set (which covered two shows with a slight A/B change in the set as they did that tour) and the 2013 Christmas gift show, we got almost every single song they played live on the whole ADTOE Tour, even one-off performances.

-Marc.

Thanks for the info Marc.

Great points about them improving the overall live experience. Though I did love it when they used to perform a different set every night, I suppose that it is better that they stick with one set so that they can focus on a particular group of songs, and perform them tighter.

And I am really surprised that not one of those 3 songs is in the set. From what I've gathered on this board and other places, the general consensus seems to hold all 3 songs in the highest regard, including myself. They are my absolute 3 favorite on the album.

I suppose it makes sense though. They've GOT to play Illumination Theory, as it is the epic. The Looking Glass, Along For The Ride, and The Enemy Inside were the 3 "singles" of the album, so it makes sense that they are included.

And Enigma Machine, as much as I don't care for it, is the instrumental, and is a nice way to bridge Mangini's drum solo.

It just sucks bad that my 3 favorite songs will not be on the DVD.  Especially BtV...that would sound so sick in a live setting. Oh well though :(

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2014, 09:30:26 PM »
Sadly accurate way to put it rumby. I'm all for a big production, but it should be balanced with the spontaneity of a live show, which is almost completely missing from this tour.

The strictly static setlist came into place with the Evening With format for Along For the Ride tour.
Not true. The last North American run of the Dramatic tour featured a single setlist - no alternating A/B setlists on that tour leg aside from the second show in NYC.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline 425

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2014, 10:06:37 PM »

I'll add that I think this can work for some styles of music. Porcupine Tree's Anesthetize is like this, and it is a really impressive, well-produced show. But Porcupine Tree's music is based more on atmosphere and layering and mood anyway, so this works for them. DT's music has a lot more focus on energy and technicality, which lends itself far better to the type of show where performers have room to improvise, sometimes wildly, than a tightly produced performance. While I like the visuals DT has going that are very closely tied to the music now that they're playing to a click, I guess I'd rather have stuff like the Budokan Beyond This Life jam and changes in tempo that adapt to the energy of the show. That is to say, playing to a click with impressive visual effects is good and probably preferable for a band like Porcupine Tree, but it's not so good for a band like Dream Theater.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2014, 10:13:54 PM »
Regarding Behind the Veil -- there is always something to look forward to on the next leg.  Jordan told me at a M&G that he looks forward to playing the songs on DT12 that have not yet been premiered.

When did he told you this?

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2014, 12:28:17 AM »
It's a shame, though, because we ARE missing out on three of my favorite songs from the album - "Behind The Veil", "The Bigger Picture" and "Surrender To Reason".

Yep. Those, along with IT, are my favourites as well. But instead we get the less interesting songs, like both instrumentals (ok one as an intro track) and TLG.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2014, 02:34:55 AM »

When did he told you this?

Last April at a record store signing for the Illumination Theory single release in Long Beach, CA.

The strictly static setlist came into place with the Evening With format for Along For the Ride tour.

Not true. The last North American run of the Dramatic tour featured a single setlist - no alternating A/B setlists on that tour leg aside from the second show in NYC.

Oh yeah, that's right. 

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2014, 03:30:58 AM »

Alright by me....I loved the visuals on this tour and how they synced with the music, and I want them to push it even more on the next tour and get even crazier visuals.

But I do love the classic 'live show' as well.

If they would ever get to come here to the Philippines for the first time, I would hate if they would not play the same setlist just because of a need to rotate songs. I hope they do get to visit us in their Asian leg.

I think they are also now more focused on doing a full "theater" experience, so the music tie up tightly with the visuals.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2014, 06:25:45 AM »
In regards to the 3 songs from DT12 that have not been played, just be patient.  Without any inside knowledge, I can pretty much guarantee that they will be played in future tours.  Given they brought out TSF and SDV this past tour, they dont seem to care about the idea of having songs in their catalogue that they wont play live.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2014, 06:31:13 AM »
In regards to the 3 songs from DT12 that have not been played, just be patient.  Without any inside knowledge, I can pretty much guarantee that they will be played in future tours.  Given they brought out TSF and SDV this past tour, they dont seem to care about the idea of having songs in their catalogue that they wont play live.
This.
And I remember watching chat with the band, I think 2 or maybe 3 of them said TBP is their favorite on the album.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2014, 08:54:08 AM »
Chat:

JR: IT
JP : TLG
JM : TBP
JLB : TBP
MM : STR

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2014, 09:09:28 AM »
I can so totally see The Bigger Picture as an encore song on the next tour. Or a setlist closer with ACOS or Octavarium as an encore

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2014, 09:23:03 AM »
I can so totally see The Bigger Picture as an encore song on the next tour. Or a setlist closer with ACOS or Octavarium as an encore

As much as I like the song, it doesnt have enough power to be a set closer.  More like a second to last song on a set IMO.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2014, 09:31:48 AM »
No u
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2014, 06:33:58 AM »
I always thought that TBP -> Through My Words/Fatal Tragedy would be cool since it's ending ends on the same chord as Strange Deja Vu.

Offline RedKlouD72

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2014, 12:07:57 PM »
Yeah, I would not worry at all about never getting to see Surrender To Reason, Behind The Veil, and The Bigger Picture.

It appears the current DT shares the same sentiment as Portnoy in regards to giving the fans a chance to hear virutally all the songs live. They're just going about it in a different way.

If you think about it... ya know, if you are really really looking forward to hearing a certain song, the static setlists are a blessing. Because you can look at setlists online from prior shows, and if the song is on there, then you will see it when you go to see the band.  With the changing setlists that Portnoy did, as exciting as that was, you could see online that the song you want to hear is being played almost every night, but when you go see DT, there's the real chance they don't play the song.

It's kinda "pick your poison"
Ludicrously speedy or infectious with the slow-mo

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2014, 12:14:52 PM »
Yeah, I would not worry at all about never getting to see Surrender To Reason, Behind The Veil, and The Bigger Picture.

It appears the current DT shares the same sentiment as Portnoy in regards to giving the fans a chance to hear virutally all the songs live. They're just going about it in a different way.

If you think about it... ya know, if you are really really looking forward to hearing a certain song, the static setlists are a blessing. Because you can look at setlists online from prior shows, and if the song is on there, then you will see it when you go to see the band.  With the changing setlists that Portnoy did, as exciting as that was, you could see online that the song you want to hear is being played almost every night, but when you go see DT, there's the real chance they don't play the song.

It's kinda "pick your poison"

I like the pros and cons of the static set lists, but the way Portnoy did it with the changing setlists, he made up sets that were different than what they played in that city/area the last time they went around. He was pretty OCD about that, so if you got, say, "The Mirror" last time and it was being swapped with a couple other songs on the current tour, he'd make sure it wasn't played again that next time DT came to your area. I'm sure if you look through the massive Tourography he has on his website, you'll see some of these sets-by-city changes. It was brilliant, if you think about it, because if you caught DT every time they came around, you'd likely get a great show without a lot of repeats.

Now, if you go see them twice in the same city or area on the same tour, you're going to get the same set (with maybe one or two songs changed). Not that exciting, and I wonder if fans aren't coming out to see multiple shows like they used to because of that fact?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2014, 03:27:50 PM »
Saw them 3 times on the last tour, so it hasnt stopped me from going.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2014, 07:05:09 AM »
Not an issue for me, since they never come around here anyway, but I would find it very difficult to justify spending money for multiple shows if I knew going in that they would be the exact same performance.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2014, 08:42:41 AM »
Now, if you go see them twice in the same city or area on the same tour, you're going to get the same set (with maybe one or two songs changed). Not that exciting, and I wonder if fans aren't coming out to see multiple shows like they used to because of that fact?
The lack of having rotating setlists at this point in time is *the* deciding factor for why I have only seen a fraction of the shows I used to see. After they started heavily rotating the setlists in 2002, I typically would catch 8 or 9 shows on each tour cycle (usually only one or two would be with DT *not* headlining on their own). With the Dramatic tour, I saw them 5 times (4 of the 5 did have different setlists, but only varying by a few songs) and on the current tour, once. Had they at least had alternating setlists, switching out 4 or 5 songs like they did on the Dramatic tour, I would've gone for a second show. But with there being a complete lack of variation, and with more emphasis on the production instead of the live spontaneity, one show is enough.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2014, 09:00:58 AM »
I think it is a cool thing, that for this tour, they wanted to take the idea of a choreographed show to its ultimate conclusion. I'm pleased that we get a DVD of the show, since they never brought it to my neck of the woods. That being said, I'm hopeful that it doesn't continue. At least to this extreme.

Back when they did the drummer auditions, one of the things that had me stoked was the emphasis on being able to improvise with whoever they selected. Perhaps unfairly, this put it in my head that we'd be getting improvs and spontaneous moments at the live shows. Now that MM has been in the band for 5 years, I'm hopeful that the next tour throws in looser arrangements, just for the fun of it.

Although, I don't think we'll ever see the return of "no city gets the same song twice in a row" ever again, a bit of variety would be appreciated by me at least.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2014, 02:25:30 PM »
I think it is a cool thing, that for this tour, they wanted to take the idea of a choreographed show to its ultimate conclusion. I'm pleased that we get a DVD of the show, since they never brought it to my neck of the woods. That being said, I'm hopeful that it doesn't continue. At least to this extreme.

EXACTLY. I LOVE seeing DT explore new things and then take them to the extreme, but that doesn't mean any of them have to become staple traits for them as time goes on. Look at anything cool or different they've done to change their sound- it's awesome, but it would be lame if they just made it the new standard for every album. They experimented with non-melodic vocals on SC and BC&SL, and I love it, but once they brought it to it's full extent, they went on to something else. They always have this flow of things they do and then bring in something new while still continuing the last thing for a while as well, giving every era a perfect flow from one to the next.

With the ADTOE and DT12 tours, they took their stage production more and more of an extreme toward a particular direction, but now it'd be great to see it flow into a different direction next tour, and then develop that new direction for a while.