Author Topic: MikeMangioy's 50 reasons why I'm better than you - v. Numero Uno  (Read 26709 times)

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
Re: MikeMangioy's 50 reasons why I'm better than you - v. The tale goes on and on
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2014, 02:37:06 PM »
Let's continue with

NIRVANA - IN UTERO
Underrated grunge, 1993

Nirvana is one of the shittiest band I've ever had the pleasure to listen to. But their shittiness is what made them a great band. I mean, the songs were good but man were they shitty. With the exception of Dave Grohl, both Krist and especially Kurt were very shitty musicians. Kurt's guitars were often out of tune and his singing often sounds like a cat being strangled, and Krist was just having fun not caring what he was playing most of the time. But that's the key factor to Nirvana: the shittiness. After the ridicolous success of Nevermind, which made Nirvana seem like a more aggressive version of The Beatles, the band showcased what they really were in the third and final album in their discography: In Utero.

In this album there's everything that the band offered: the shittiness, of course, the catchiness, the mellow ballads and the furious songs. That's why I prefer it over Nevermind, which was more an attempt to have commercial success, which happened miracolously and out of nowhere. Really, if there was one band that was less likely to get succesful, it was Nirvana. This demonstrates that no matter what the radio feeds people, most of them are gonna like it, which is why many shitty (this time in the real sense of the term) songs are popular and succesful.

In Utero is basically a collection of my favorite Nirvana songs: the album opens with Serve The Servants, which is one heck of a masterpiece. The lyrics, the melodies and the instrumentation work great together. Then there's Scentless Apprentice, which is an example of what I was trying to say with "Nirvana is a shitty band" (but there's another song that shows that side of them better). After a couple of classics such as Rape Me and Heart-Shaped Box, In Utero continues with Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge On Seattle, which is an unfairly underrated song. Dat instrumental section. Not to talk about Very Ape. Very Ape might be my favorite Nirvana song, featuring one of my favorite riffs of all time. The energy that song gives me is something unexplainable. I don't know why that song is that powerful for me, but it just works great. Then there's Milk It. Holy shit. Literally. I never heard such an ugly song, and it works perfectly! HOW DO YOU DO THAT.
The album closes with All Apologies which is such a perfect song - simple, emotional, with that cello.. it just gives me shivers everytime I listen to it.

So, if you listened to Nevermind, but don't know what the hell In Utero is about, check it out. It's different, it's shitty, it's Nirvana.

Tracklist:                                                                      Personnel:

Serve The Servants                                                                   Kurt Cobain - vocals, guitar
Scentless Apprentice                                                                 Krist Novoselic - bass
Heart-Shaped Box                                                                     Dave Grohl - drums
Rape Me
Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge On Seattle
Dumb
Very Ape
Milk It
Pennyroyal TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Tea
Radio Friendly Unit Shifter
tourette's
All Apologies

Favorites: Serve The Servants  Scentless Apprentice  Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge On Seattle  Very Ape All Apologies

How I've discovered Nirvana:
Well, you don't simply discover Nirvana. You just know them, everybody knows songs like Smells Like Teen Spirit or Come As You Are or Lithium. That was the case for me. Then a good friend of mine formed a band, he called me and decided to be a Nirvana cover band, and I was basically forced (in a good way) to explore their catalogue furhter. Good decision.

MUSE - THE 2ND LAW
AlternELECTRONIsymphardprog Rock, 2012

I am in the vast minority, but this is my favorite Muse album. Once again, like In Utero, this album has everything the band offered in one disc, even with some quite unexpected twists.

There's the heavy tune (Supremacy), there's the mainstream tune (Madness), there's the funky tune (Panic Station), there's a symphonic (well, more operatic) tune (Survival), there is an alternative-sounding tune (Animals), there are the ballads (Save Me, Explorers), there's even a goddamn dubstep tune.. done with guitars (Unsustainable). You see what I mean?

It's varied, it's awesome, every song is great, there are no fillers. Bellamy's vocals and great guitar tunes work perfectly with the rest of the two guys. The songs are catchy, proggy in a sense, and it's also one heck of a huge-sounding album. Just what I expect from a great Muse record. Great job guys.

Tracklist:                                  Personnel:

Supremacy                                             Matthew Bellamy - vocals, guitars, keyboards
Madness                                               Chris Wolstenholme - bass, keyboards, vocals
Panic Station                                         Dominic Howard - drums, percussions, keyboards
Prelude
Survival
Follow Me
Animals
Explorers
Big Freeze
Save Me
Liquid State
The 2nd Law: Unsustainable
The 2nd Law: Isolated System

Favorites: Supremacy  Panic Station  Survival  Animals 

« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 12:50:09 AM by mikemangioy »
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Good choice with Powerslave, a great Maiden album. 

In Utero is also great.  I'm a bit iffy on the shitty-ness thing for two reasons: A: I think Dave Grohl was a pretty average drummer back then as well, he just hit hard and hard generally pretty bland, generic fills - he was a quarter pounder with cheese.  B: I agree they were generally pretty average musicians, but they wrote some AMAZING songs, simple and aggressive and beautiful.  I think that nullifies the shitty-ness to an extent but I guess I see where you're coming from; from a technical, virtuosic standpoint they would be considered 'shitty'.  Maybe the 'shitty' adjective just hurts my feelings lol.

Offline Outcrier

I agree they were generally pretty average musicians, but they wrote some AMAZING songs, simple and aggressive and beautiful.  I think that nullifies the shitty-ness to an extent.

FTFY  :smiley:
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
2nd Law is great.

Offline mikemangioy

Gentlemen, would you like some Steven Wilson?

PORCUPINE TREE - UP THE DOWNSTAIR
Spaaaaaaaace/Psychedelic rock, 1993

That's right folks, double Porcupine Tree update. Never again this will ever happen in the list, it demonstrates how great and consistent of a band PT is. Steven is a musical genius, Gavin's playing is top notch, he's one of my three favorites of all time, Colin Edwin is also amazing, I love all of his basslines, and I like his attitude of being always  :smiley: - and Richard's instrumentation and layers give the song even more depth. Truly one of the best bands I've ever had the pleasure to listen to.

Even though I just talked about the band, this album is not actually a band-recorded album, it's more of a Steven Wilson solo-thing with collaborations by Colin and Richard, who will of course later be in the band.

Ok, with that said, UTD is one of the best flowing psychedelic albums I've ever listened to (and don't say BUT DARK SIDE OF THE MOON because that's more of a prog record). It starts with the catchy amazingness of Synesthesia which is a song that will forever repeat in your head if you listen to it just for one time. The real pillars of the album are the two monstrous instrumental: the title-track and its masterpiece of a bassline and Burning Sky, with its grand and epic and dramatic sound. The rest of the record is also top notch: the two ballads are  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy especially Fadeaway , which is one of my favorite ballads of all time.

So, if you want to listen to some good psychedelic rock without losing your mind and/or falling asleep, try this record. If you want to do those things, just try its successor, The Sky Moves Sideways.

Tracklist:                                             Personnel:

What You're Listening To                                  Steven Wilson - guitars, bass, keys and vocals
Synesthesia                                                      Colin Edwin - bass on track 4
Monuments Burn Into Moments                        Richard Barbieri - electronics on track 5
Always Never                                                    Suzanne J. Barbieri - spoken words on track 5
Up The Downstair                                             Gavin Harrison - drums (remastered 2001 version)
Not Beautiful Anymore
Small Fish
Burning Sky
Fadeaway

Favorites: Synesthesia  Up The Downstair (no YT link for that one  :oBurning Sky   Fadeaway

PORCUPINE TREE - IN ABSENTIA
Progressive rock/metal, 2002

This one here is a classic. In Absentia not only is the first album in the metal era of PT, it's also the first album with Gavin Harrison on drums. And that guy is... is... I don't have adjectives that could justify my love for how that guy plays.

Anyway, back to the album. This is one heck of a dark album, quite ironic since it's the successor of a quite joyful album, Lightbulb Sun.
It follows the decline of a dude who from sex addict/rapist becomes necrophiliac and then ends up killing his own family and all sorts of dark stuff. The whole album is in this dark, heavy atmosphere, except for one song: Trains.

Trains is and always will be one of the most beautiful songs I've ever listened to. It has the power to light even the darkest of times, just with some "lalalalas" and one heck of an outro.
But In Absentia is dark, though, right? So, let's talk about the dark stuff: the album opens with the explosion of Blackest Eyes, a somewhat "happy" song about the story of the album in general, then there's Trains ( :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :heart :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :heart), then there's a fucking creepy song, called Lips Of Ashes, which is a necrophily-based lullaby. Shit.
But really, every track is worth mentioning - from the nevrotic The Creator Has A Mastertape to the energetic instrumental Wedding Nails, from the pitch black Strip The Soul to the heartfelt Collapse The Light Into Earth. Even the tracks that didn't end up in the album are  :metal - Futile is a Gavin-fest, Drown With Me is another happy song in a dark record, and then Chloroform is just  :hefdaddy. Truly a consistent work.

Tracklist:                                             Personnel:

Blackest Eyes                                                  Steven Wilson - vocals, guitars, piano, banjo
Trains                                                              Colin Edwin - bass
Lips Of Ashes                                                  Richard Barbieri - keyboards
The Sound Of Muzak                                       Gavin Harrison - drums
Gravity Eyelids                                               
Wedding Nails                                                 (backing vocals on track 4 by John Wesley and Aviv Geffen)
Prodigal
The Creator Has A Mastertape
Heartattack In A Lay-by
Strip The Soul
Collapse The Light Into Earth

Favorites: The whole goddamn thing

How I've discovered Porcupine Tree:

Well, my discovery and exploration of PT's material was very slow and it took 2 years to reach its completion. I started by just checking them out by reccomandation (Prodigal was my first song), but I didn't like them that much. Then Gavin Harrison came to my town to do a clinic, so I decided to explore PT more and I listened to the most known songs - that same summer I explored them furhter, repeating the same process at the beginning of this summer. I also did a kind of illegal discography thread. If you want to get into this band I recommend reading this thing. It's the perfect guide for the PT universe.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 01:42:46 PM by mikemangioy »

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: MikeMangioy's 50 reasons why I'm better than you - v. Hit heaven far too high
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2014, 04:10:03 PM »
Heartattack in a Layby is my favourite PT song.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: MikeMangioy's 50 reasons why I'm better than you - v. Hit heaven far too high
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2014, 05:30:21 PM »
In Absentia is like 33 spots lower than it should be :neverusethis:. Yeah the album can be quite disturbing when you pay attention to the lyrics, but what the hell, is so dark and beautiful, that it doesn't really matters. Wilson's a freaking genius and will still release great music till the day he dies.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2014, 07:21:58 PM »

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2014, 05:00:12 AM »

It always reminded me of 'Every Dream Home a Heartache', by Roxy Music.  Lovely song.

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2014, 01:40:13 PM »
Ok, I made a mess. I missed an update, so yep, today's albums are the actually ones that come after Nirvana and Muse. Sorry for the eventual confusion.

RUSH - 2112
Progressive rock, 1976

Rush. What can you say about Rush? They are one of the most influencials bands around, especially when you look at long songs and complex music. And we all know a band who likes doing long songs and complex music, don't we?
I'll start by saying that they are one of the best bands I've ever heard. They sound like they're in six, but they're half the number. No ordinary band has a member which plays bass (and does it that good), while singing and playing keys with his feet. No ordinary band has a drummer that it's believed to be the  best at his job by thousand and thousand of people, no ordinary band has a guitarist who had the courage to make this speach at his band's Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame induction cerimony. This is the record that made Rush earn what they still have today, let's take a look at it.

2112 is amazing. The first side is completely dedicated to the historical title-track which is a track that at least every musician/person on the planet should know. It's an essential statement, both lyrically and musically. It starts with Overture, which is one of my favorites intros for a song in general, and I just love the way it's structured. The Temples Of Sirynx carry on the epic with a catchy vibe, and then there's Discovery. When you listen to it you really feel like someone who just discovered a guitar in a cave, and you really feel like you've found a treasure. I like the transition into Presentation, very in-your-face. The rest of the epic is.. well, epic  :biggrin: - the Grand Finale sends me shivers every time. Once you listen to "Attention all planets of the solar federation, we have assumed control", nothing will ever be the same anymore. I promise that.

The second side of the record is dedicated to a bunch of shorter songs: some of them are great, and some of them are ok. But, once again, what makes this record a great record is the title-track. You. If you didn't listen to 2112, do yourself a favor and click here.

Tracklist:                  Personnel:

2112                                     Geddy Lee - bass, vocals, keyboards
A Passage To Bangkok         Alex Lifeson - guitars
The Twilight Zone                 Neil Peart - drums, percussion
Lessons
Tears
Something For Nothing

Favorites: 2112  A Passage To Bangkok   Something For Nothing

How I've discovered Rush:
Being a drummer, I've always heard that Neil was like the best drummer ever, so I checked out YYZ and Tom Sawyer - those two songs eventually lead me to La Villa Strangiato which is still the reason why I'm a fan of these guys. The sad thing is that I've never had a chance to listen to their whole discography, but, thanks goodness, there's a discography thread going on, and I'm already blown away by what I was missing.

AYREON - 01011001
Progressive metal/Synths-everywhere prog, 2008

You know, other than the amazing guests artists that each Ayreon album has, what I really like about the project is the fact that there's just one plot going on in various different albums. 01011001 is the last of the series, and it creates links towards each and every other Ayreon record (excluding Actual Fantasy and of course, The Theory Of Everything), so lyrically the album is great.
Really, this should be the last Ayreon album you'll have to listen to, because otherwise it doesn't make sense.

Musically speaking the album has a huge problem.
TOO
MANY
SYNTH
PATTERNS

I understand that Arjen was probably trying to emulate the sounds of the machines which keep the "Forever" race alive, but Jesus, I think he exaggerated. Other than that, I really love the atmosphere of this album, and I like the fact that it has less songs compared to the other Ayreon records, it's definitely more straight to the point.
It starts with the pounding Age Of Shadows, and it goes on with the amazing duet Comatose, sung by Anneke Van Giersbergen and Jorn Lande. How much more could you ask for? Well, the answer is in the two epics of the record: The Fifth Extinction and The Sixth Extinction. Both tracks are incredibly stunning: the first one being both incredibly heavy with classical influences, and the second one being really epic and dramatic. The 2085 section, man - that section. Other great tracks include Connect The Dots, Waking Dreams, Unnatural Selection and River Of Time. But believe me when I say that the whole record is fantastic.

Let's take a moment to appreciate the fact that we have on the same album: Anneke Van Giersbergen, Daniel Gindenlow, Floor Jansen, Hansi Kursch, Jorn Lande, Jonas Renkse and Simone Simons. Also, there's the participation of none other than Mr. Derek Sherinian and also Micheal Romeo.
Let's not forget though that Arjen is the mastermind of the project, and he performs everything really well, with the help of Ed Warby on drums, which I think is the most underrated drummer ever. The guy's a beast.

Tracklist:                                                 Personnel:

Age Of Shadows/We Are Forever                        Arjen Lucassen - guitars, bass, mandolin, keyboards, vocals on TTIIH
Comatose                                                            Ed Warby - drums
Liquid Eternity                                                     
Connect The Dots                                               Guest artists:
Beneath The Waves                                                                                 
Newborn Race                                                    Singers: Bob Catley, Tom S. Englund, Anneke Van Giersbergen, Daniel Gildenlow, Liselotte Hegt, Floor Jansen, Hansi Kursch, Jorn Lande, Steve Lee,
Ride The Comet                                                                Magali Luyten, Jonas Renkse, Simone Simons, Ty Tabor, Marjan Welman, Wudstik, Phideaux Xadier
Web Of Lies
The Fifth Extinction                                             Musicians: Tomas Bodin, Joost Van Der Broek, David Faber, Jeroen Goossens, Lori Linstruth, Ben Mathot, Michael Romeo, Derek Sherinian
Waking Dreams
The Truth Is In Here
Unnatural Selection
River Of Time
E=mc2
The Sixth Extinction

Favorites: Mentioned all of them in the review.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: MikeMangioy's 50 reasons why I'm better than you - v. Listen to the warning
« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2014, 01:51:21 PM »
So PT albums are #34 and #33?

2112 is classic, of course. 01011001 is a fun listen indeed, it's interesting how actually dark it is even for Arjen. I think there are two most epic moments on the album, both on the first disc: Liquid Eternity's "I'm losing my reasons to live" and onwards and "Beneath the waves we were invincible" on the last chorus. All in all, I'm a huge fan of how Jorn sounds on this album. His exchanges with Floor on the moments I've mentioned are just fantastic.

However, I think there are a few songs that drag 01011001 down significantly. Like Connect the Dots and Web of Lies and a few more. These two I can understand, Arjen tried to create a stark contrast between the human race and Forever, but doing this with such songs kind of kills the whole momentum. I also feel Newborn Race overstays its welcome, and E=mc^2 is so uninspired I don't even know where to begin. So basically there are four songs I don't like, and well, that's quite a lot.

Waking Dreams is one of my favourite Ayreon tunes though. What a brilliant usage of Jonas' voice.

Edit: by the way, quite an interesting tracks you've got on your copy  :biggrin:

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2014, 02:11:28 PM »
I'm not too keen on Rush, Geddy's voice annoys me after a few songs :P . Haven't listened Y though.

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #82 on: September 28, 2014, 02:19:18 PM »
So PT albums are #34 and #33?

2112 is classic, of course. 01011001 is a fun listen indeed, it's interesting how actually dark it is even for Arjen. I think there are two most epic moments on the album, both on the first disc: Liquid Eternity's "I'm losing my reasons to live" and onwards and "Beneath the waves we were invincible" on the last chorus. All in all, I'm a huge fan of how Jorn sounds on this album. His exchanges with Floor on the moments I've mentioned are just fantastic.

However, I think there are a few songs that drag 01011001 down significantly. Like Connect the Dots and Web of Lies and a few more. These two I can understand, Arjen tried to create a stark contrast between the human race and Forever, but doing this with such songs kind of kills the whole momentum. I also feel Newborn Race overstays its welcome, and E=mc^2 is so uninspired I don't even know where to begin. So basically there are four songs I don't like, and well, that's quite a lot.

Waking Dreams is one of my favourite Ayreon tunes though. What a brilliant usage of Jonas' voice.

Edit: by the way, quite an interesting tracks you've got on your copy  :biggrin:

- Yes, they are 34 and 33

- I partially agree on your 01 thoughts

- the tracklist is ok for me  :o

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2014, 02:27:47 PM »
That Ayreon album is good, but not one of my favorites from him. 2112 is definitely deserving on this list. :metal

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2014, 02:48:42 PM »

- the tracklist is ok for me  :o

Your two column method doesn't display correctly for me most of the time either.

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #85 on: September 29, 2014, 02:38:18 PM »
Hey, look who it is

DREAM THEATER - SIX DEGREES OF INNER TURBULENCE
Drone, 2002

At last! DT, one of my favorites band of all time and also the reason why I'm writing in this forum, make their first appearance on my list. And with a no ordinary album - infact, SDOIT is maybe their most experimental record along with Octavarium (maybe). I like the way its structured: the album has two discs:
- Disc 1 is the experimental one, with five long and dark songs
- Disc 2 is like an album in an album (nope, I don't consider the title-track to be one song), which has very reminiscent musical directions of Scenes From A Memory.

This makes the album quite unique. The first disc is one of my favorites run of songs ever created: the whole album starts with the heavily-massive The Glass Prison, which as we all know, is the first chapter of the 12-step-suite. Then there's Blind Faith, a song that kind of reminds me of Awake, with a great instrumental section and feel overall.
The third track, Misunderstood is the most experimental: it has pop-like verses and chorus, with strange psychedelic instrumentation all around it. It is a really nice experiment, and I've got no problem with the outro, I think it adds to the experience.
The fourth song is possibly my favorite of the record: The Great Debate. As the title suggests it's about a debate - steam sell reaserch. The song is structured like a mirror, both musically and lyrically and I love that concept. Last track on disc one is the desperate Disappear, which is quite underrated, I have to say, like the whole first disc.

The second disc is the 42-minute composition/suite/long-thing thing, and while I enjoy disc one much more, this side of the album also has its moments: my favorite succession of songs is War Inside My Head -> Solitary Shell. I think the rest is ok, Overture is too long and ATC reprise could've been more concise. But other than that it's a great listen, but I just can't consider it ONE song. It's not cohesive at all.

So, SDOIT is definitely a nice and interesting listen, but I do not recommend it as the first album to listen by DT. Take it easy and start with, let's say, the latest and Images And Words.

Tracklist:
The Glass Prison
Blind Faith
Misunderstood
The Great Debate
Disappear
Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence:
I.Overture
II.About To Crash
III.War Inside My Head
IV.The Test That Stumped 'Em All
V.Goodnight Kiss
VI.Solitary Shell
VII.About To Crash (Reprise)
VIII.Losing Time/Grand Finale

--Performed by James LaBrie (vocals), John Petrucci (guitars), John Myung (bass), Jordan Rudess (keyboards), Mike Portnoy (drums)--

How I've discovered Dream Theater:
well, I think i'm the newest of you guys. My story goes like this:

year 2009: I was 10 then. I received a Wii and Guitar Hero World Tour. There was Pull me Under on it. Didn't care at first, as most of the band I fell in love with

year 2011: 12 y/o. At my drum school, here in Italy, my teacher says "Hey, wassup, Mike Mangini's coming for a clinic here!" and I was like "Who is this guy" "Dream Theater's new drummer!" "Oh, DT, I heard a song some time ago." (Note: at that time I was really getting into the metal scene, listening to the big 4 of thrash, and some other bands too) He showed me some videos of Mangini rockin' his giant kit. I was shocked by his talent and the massiveness of his kit (is that even a word?). So, along with this, there was a fellow drummer of mine who was a big DT fan, and he was constantly playing the drum rythm of Under A Glass Moon. He was totally obsessed with it. So the actual first song I really heard from Dream Theater was UAGM.

year 2012: in the studio with my school, my friend played Trial Of Tears. This was a bad move for my unborn interest for DT, UAGM didn't hit me musically, and I thought "Man.. this song is boring.. maybe DT aren't my thing". This was up until the MM clinic was starting to get near. I thought "Man, I have to get documented about him and what he did in DT". So I watched "The Spirit Carries On" documentary. Fell in love, but not so much, with The Dance Of Eternity.
Enter Mike Mangini, and his awesomness. The guy was extremely hilarious and so much talented. He played a 20 min. drum solo which was like  :o
and at the end of the clinic he played a song from ADTOE. That song was Outcry. That song: the metal/epic elements, the insane instrumental section that Mike played like if he was drinking a glass of water, hit me so much. I fell in love with DT since then. I feel like the most lucky DT fan because I  fell in love with the band and like 10 minutes later I got an autograph and a photo from their drummer.  :hat My first album was Octavarium.

year 2013: after learning every song from the catalog, in January JP announces the new album. I was like "New album = tour = concert nearby". And yes, I did it. I bought a ticket for the Rome concert this January, and when the ticket arrived I looked at it. It said "An Evening With Dream Theater". I almost fainted when I noticed it. 3 whopping hours of concert are waiting for me in 6 months. And a new great album in even a shorter time!

oh, I love this band so much. I also think I improved a lot in technique as a drummer. Also, they opened me a whole new scene, the prog scene. I was already a Rush/Pink Floyd fan when I started listening to DT, but they brought me a lot of other stuff: Opeth, Porcupine Tree (another clinic-event with Gavin Harrison, in which I did the translator for him  ;) ) and the side projects like LTE, Adrenaline Mob and recently The Winery Dogs. Currently I'm in a DT/Porcupine Tree period, because I'm listening to PT just to make time pass up until September. At that point new album to the max and at January concert  :metal

tl;dr: Mike Mangini did a clinic, played Outcry, fell in love with the band after a few months of doubts.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Re: MikeMangioy's 50 reasons why I'm better than you - v. The door was wide open
« Reply #86 on: September 29, 2014, 03:42:15 PM »
Good call, probably my 3rd fave DT after Awake and I&W.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: MikeMangioy's 50 reasons why I'm better than you - v. The door was wide open
« Reply #87 on: September 29, 2014, 08:11:11 PM »
Being a complete sucker of the 42 minute song, I strongly disagree. It is really well connected and it works perfectly as a whole. Just pay attention to Overture, which is basically an intrumental summary of all that comes after and you'll notice how it flows. And even if you think it feels disjointed, the band has said it's indeed a single song, so I find it quite funny when people say it's just 8 songs or even a different album. It's like saying that SFAM is a song, which isn't true at all.

But anyways, I'm glad to see Six Degrees in a top, no matter the position :tup .

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #88 on: September 29, 2014, 11:32:10 PM »
Hey,can i ask you something?  How come I always get just 2-3 replies? I'm not saying that I don't appreciate doing this list because of that, just wondering. I see other's peoples list with 7-8 replies, what's wrong with mine? Do I post too early/late

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #89 on: September 29, 2014, 11:51:18 PM »
Just dropping in to say that Nirvana weren't shitty.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2014, 01:06:19 AM »
Hey,can i ask you something?  How come I always get just 2-3 replies? I'm not saying that I don't appreciate doing this list because of that, just wondering. I see other's peoples list with 7-8 replies, what's wrong with mine? Do I post too early/late

Just a matter of popularity, my friend.

While Nirvana is "bashed", The 2nd Law is praised don't take this too much seriously mike
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 02:18:51 AM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2014, 01:43:53 AM »

Just a matter of popularity, my friend.

Pretty much, I wouldn't really worry about it too much.  You have the posters that have been here forever that know each other and always post in each others stuff and you get people that just... aren't like that.  I used to worry about shit like that when I first started posting but I couldn't give two squirts of piss about it now, just post where you like when you like and if you're saying something people wanna engage with they'll do it.  No biggie. 

tl;dr welcome to DTF's remedial class, I've been here since 2008 hi-yo.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: September 30, 2014, 02:25:27 AM »
I totally agree with you about SDOIT the song. I'm in love with the first disc, but I almost never spin the second one these days.

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #93 on: September 30, 2014, 06:04:20 AM »
tl;dr welcome to DTF's remedial class, I've been here since 2008 hi-yo.

Alright, seems legit. Anyways just wanted to thank everyone who participates constantly, like you, sacul and evermind. And also everyone else who's just reading the list.  :tup

I totally agree with you about SDOIT the song. I'm in love with the first disc, but I almost never spin the second one these days.

Is that.. something we agree on?  :omg:

Well, shitty not in a "songwriting" level, shitty in the sense of they did not care about cutting a good figure- they were the underground in the mainstream - you know what i mean?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 06:12:31 AM by mikemangioy »

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #94 on: September 30, 2014, 10:55:04 AM »
I usually don't post in lists unless I have something to add to the conversation, I have something to razz them about and I know they can take it and smile, or if they pick a band that isn't discussed often and I can then back them on the assertion.  I don't pop on these lists anymore to say "good album" to widely accepted albums.  I think people slowly drift toward that position.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm pretty familiar with almost everything on your list, and the albums I agree are good are pretty popular around here.  I don't feel the need to yell '6DoIT is awesome!" every time someone lists it.  So the only thing I could do is tease you, and I quit teasing people I don't know a while ago after a few people took it personally.

Also, your thread title might be part of it.  It's pretty standoffish.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 05:41:43 PM by Dr. DTVT »

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #95 on: September 30, 2014, 11:03:31 AM »

Also, your thread title might be part of it.  It's pretty standoffish.

I've actually thought about that, but it's sarcasm of course, joking with elitism, you know  :angel:

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #96 on: September 30, 2014, 11:32:09 AM »
So, the double-update section of the list is not over yet, I was pretty tired yesterday evening when I wrote SDOIT, and I just couldn't write more. So this will be the last single-update album until the top 25.

SYSTEM OF A DOWN - STEAL THIS ALBUM!
Strange metal, 2002
SOAD is one of those bands that I like but I don't know why. There's a certain element to their sound.. well, certain elements that make them quite unique, especially when you look at the scene the guys were in (00's Nu Metal) - I don't know how to describe them but I'll try. First off, they're heavy. The riffs are really simple but the rythm section of the band makes them sound huge and bombastic - then there's the vocals. Serj has one of the most (I hate to repeat myself) strange and unique voices around. His growls are scary and his clear voice is angelic - just what you want from a singer like this. Then there's the psychedelic factor in SOAD, which will be replaced by the mainstream sound in their later career, and also a sort of oriental vibe going on in certain songs (which makes sense given that the band is half armenic).

With its beautiful cover, Steal This Album is the band's third effort, and follow-up to the 2001's breakthrough record, Toxicity. The album is pretty much Toxicity on steroids with references from both the past and the future of the band. The album starts off with Chic 'N Stu, which is very reminiscent of Toxicity's material, then there's Innervision which is in more of a Mezmerize/Hypnotize vibe and the album pretty much goes on like this, with some classic silly songs eventually thrown in (36 and Fuck The System come to mind).
So, yep. There's every aspect of SOAD in this record, and it is quite sadly underrated. There's too much awesome material that gets overlooked (example: Highway Song) . So, yep, if you want to get into SOAD, I suggest to start with both this and Toxicity. Oh, and also, the album has a great flow, it's not a concept album, but some of the songs are connected in a really clever way (Pictures -> Highway Song, Thetawaves -> Roulette).
So, yep, Steal This Album. You could easily buy a CDR and pretend it's the real thing. Ironically, it's the first album I've ever bought with my money  :lol

Tracklist:

Chic N' Stu
Innervision
Bubbles
Boom!
Nüguns
A.D.D.
Mr. Jack
I-E-A-I-A-I-O
Pictures
Highway Song
Fuck The System
Ego Brain
Thetawaves
Roulette
Streamline

--Performed by Serj Tankian (vocals, keyboards), Daron Malakian (guitar, vocals), Shavo Odadjian (bass), John Dolmayan (drums)--

How I've discovered System Of A Down:
I knew Chop Suey. I just didn't know it was from this band, and that it was called like that. I also knew Toxicity and BYOB, and I really liked those songs, so I decided (when I re-discovered Chop Suey) to explore their catalogue. Fun times  :metal

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

I've never really got into SOAD, although I'm sure I'd enjoy them decently enough if I did.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Ahh another fan of Steal This Album! Love it to death.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I've tried to listen to System of a Down before and thought it's just not my cup of tea. After I read your write up I decided to listen to Steal This Album! once more, and, well, still not my cup of tea.   :D

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
SOAD is awesome, though I don't think I've heard this album all the way through before.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Steal This Album! is probably my least favourite from SOAD, and it would still make my Top 100. Fantastic band, and while I prefer other albums, this one is pretty darn awesome as well.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline mikemangioy

Nice to see some Steal This Album love  :laugh:

Up next there are two of the manliest albums you'll ever hear

RAMMSTEIN - HERZELEID
Industrial/House Metal, 1995

I know that there's a whole musical scene like them, but Rammstein are indeed one of the strangest bands I know. 6 german guys singing about rape and killing (and also about feelz in some songs), in disco-sounding songs. But they're also one of the most consistent bands I know. Infact, while not every album is amazing, there are at least 3/4 songs in each one that are completely stunning. Till's deeeeeep voice is a trademark, the guys are also known for their extravagant live shows, where  :flame:

Herzeleid is the band's debut album and maaaan is it good. I think it's the highest-rated debut album in my list, and that's quite the statement. The whole album is full of strangely catchy discoish songs, which are a pleasure to listen to, infact, this is the Rammstein album I listen to the most, even though it's not my favorite. It just flows in a very nice way, every song is strong.
The album opens with the repetitive amazingness of Wollt Ihr Das Bett In Flammen Sehen, with its iconic chorus. Weißes Fleisch is another great piece of music, I really like the way it starts, and it's just fun. Just don't sing it in public when you're in german-speaking countries, you may end up in jail. After a couple of classics like Asche Zu Asche and the beautiful ballad Seemann, the album offers its masterpiece: Du Riechst So Gut. A song so addictive that when you listen to it for the first time you know all the words and also how to play it. A riff so simple, but so effective and catchy. Amazing. On the album there are also a couple of great underrated songs like Das Alte Leid, which is this half-tempo headbanger, and the title-track. God, the title track is addictive.

So, yeah, fun, dark, catchy and very interesting music.

Tracklist:

Wollt Ihr Das Bett In Flammen Sehen?
Der Meister
Weißes Fleisch
Asche Zu Asche
Seemann
Du Riechst So Gut
Das Alte Leid
Heirate Mich
Herzeleid
Laichzeit
Rammstein

--Performed by Till Lindemann (vocals), Richard Kruspe (guitar), Paul Landers (guitar), Oliver Riedel (bass), Dr.Flake (keyboards), Christoph Schneider (drums)--

How I've discovered Rammstein:

Well, folks, I simply watched this.

METALLICA - MASTER OF PUPPETS
Thrash Metal, kind of prog, 1986

Well, here it is. One of this genre's finest moments comes out of four ordinary american guys. This record is legendary! It proved that metal at the time was not all cheesy lyrics or horrible hairstyles. Metallica slowly came out of the box, by first putting out Kill 'Em All, a great debut, following by what is considered their greatest achievement, Ride The Lightning and then what do they do?
This.

Master Of Puppets is the perfect mixture of fury, anger, bitterness but also elegance and melodies. Because if there are just demolition-songs like Damage, Inc., there's also the melodic and respectful songs like Sanitarium and Orion. I'm not even gonna bother writing a long review, the album just speaks for itself: it's a masterpiece. I'll do just a brief track by track thing:

It opens with Battery, which is all you need from a great opener - slow and epic intro which suddently bursts into fast neckbreaking rythms and anthemic choruses. There's one riff in this song that is capable to destroy fucking Jupiter with its power. Then there's what is said to be Metallica's masterpiece - the title-track, Master Of Puppets. Inside this single song there's everything you want from a Metallica tune - fast rythms, melodic guitar duels a la Iron Maiden, breathtaking solos, and awesome lyrics. The Thing That Should Not Be is one heck of a heavy song, with a strong abuse of the low E string which makes everything sound even heavier - I love the S&M version of this song. James was on fire that night. Sanitarium is your classic semi-ballad thing, which starts out melodic and calm and gradually gains velocity and fury. Disposable Heroes may be my favorite track on this, after the title track. Nothing to say on that one, it's just  :metal :metal :metal - I really love the structure of that song. Leper Messiah is one underrated piece of music, and while it's surely not the best from the record, it holds a special place in my heart, because it features one of my favorite riffs of all time. The instrumental Orion is the perfect testament for that amazing musician that was Cliff Burton, not your ordinary bass player. The guy was really innovative and brought a lot of new things to the table. The album closes like it BEGIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINS *epic guitar solo starts, with a fucking furious and fast song. Damage, Inc. is truly one of the most brutal and gnarly tracks I ever had the pleasure to hear.

So, yeah, Master Of Puppets. This album really does speak for itself.

Tracklist:

Battery
Master Of Puppets
The Thing That Should Not Be
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Disposable Heroes
Leper Messiah
Orion
Damage, Inc.

--Performed by James Hetfield (rythm guitar, vocals), Kirk Hammett (lead guitar), Cliff Burton (bass), Lars Ulrich (drums)--
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 02:40:31 PM by mikemangioy »

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: MikeMangioy's 50 reasons why I'm better than you - v. I was born for dying
« Reply #103 on: October 03, 2014, 02:03:56 PM »
Hell yeah for Master of Puppets!

Rammstein is totally not my thing.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: MikeMangioy's 50 reasons why I'm better than you - v. I was born for dying
« Reply #104 on: October 03, 2014, 02:15:14 PM »
My favorite Metallica release!!