Author Topic: MikeMangioy's 50 reasons why I'm better than you - v. Numero Uno  (Read 26570 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: MikeMangioy's 50 reasons why I'm better than you - v. Extraordinarily nice
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2014, 04:52:14 PM »
I always enjoy Queen even though I dont own any of their material.

Great Metallica disc.  Lots of great tunes on that one.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2014, 05:44:37 PM »
I always enjoy Queen even though I dont own any of their material.

Great Metallica disc.  Lots of great tunes on that one.

This pretty much - I have bought a few Queen albums only in recent years but it's not often I come across a track I love that I don't already know.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2014, 06:29:13 PM »
The Black Album gets too much hate. Not my favorite Metallica album by any stretch but it has a lot of great songs, hit or not. :metal

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2014, 02:38:30 PM »
Nice to see you guys liked that update.  Let's continue.

AYREON - UNIVERSAL MIGRATOR PART 1:THE DREAM SEQUENCER
Prog rock/Space rock/Oh-God-it's-Pink-Floyd-rock, 2000

Oh man. Oh man. Arjen Lucassen is one heck of a musician. His work is unfairly underrated: each Ayreon album is awesome, and Star One is also great. Still haven’t checked out his other stuff, but with time I will. I’m also looking forward to The Gentle Storm.

Anyways, let’s focus on Ayreon. Basically Arjen writes beautiful music, with a lot of different genres influences (mainly prog, metal and folk/classical). He then writes a concept for the album, and he invites various singers who each interpret a character in the story. Also, all the albums (not counting The Theory Of Everything and Actual Fantasy) have a grand story-line.

This album focuses on the last man alive: he’s on Mars, where people where sent while the Thrid World War was going on on Earth, in 2084. The man now realizes he’s the last one of the chain and uses a machine, called “The Dream Sequencer” which makes you relive the memories of your previous incarnations. The guy goes back in time and eventually realizes that not only he is the last man alive, he also was the first conscious man to live. One of the greatest climaxes ever.

This album’s music is more focused on relaxing prog rock/ambient, rather than crushing guitar riffs and technical stuff. It has a really soothing atmosphere and it really looks like your under hypnosis.
This album is also FUCKING BEAUTIFUL. Really, in all honesty, this is one of the most beautiful albums I’ve ever listened to. The songs are elegant, we have the dark but emotional “My House On Mars” opening the album, the epic “One Small Step”, which takes place in 1969 during the moon landing, “Dragon On The Sea” has gorgeous vocals so does “Temple Of The Cat”. The choruses of these songs made me nearly cry manly tears. The beauty, guys, the beauty. And the climax of the album, oh God. We have our dear Neal Morse singing “The First Man On Earth” which is one heck of an uplifting song. Once again, the chorus makes the magic happen.
Excellent album, even though as a whole it’s a little bit boring to listen to.
Go and listen to Ayreon if you didn’t, NOW.
GO AHEAD.
I’M WAITING FOR YOU.

TRACKLIST:                                                                                         

1.The Dream Sequencer 
2.My House On Mars (sung by Johan Edlund and Floor Jansen)
3.2084 (Lana Lane)
4.One Small Step (Edward Reekers)
5.The Shooting Company Of Captain Francis B. Cocq (Mouse)
6.Dragon On The Sea (Lana Lane)
7.Temple Of The Cat (Jacqueline Govaert)
8.Carried By The Wind (Arjen Lucassen)
9.And The Druids Turned To Stone (Damian Wilson)
10.The First Man On Earth (Neal Morse)
11.The Dream Sequencer (Reprise)

PERSONNEL:

Arjen Lucassen – electric/acoustic guitars, bass, keyboards
Rob Snijders – drums
Erik Nolanders – keyboards
Clive Nolan – synth solo on 3
Peter Siedlach – strings
Lana Lane – backing vocals

Favorites: My House On Mars Dragon On The Sea Temple Of The Cat The First Man On Earth

How I've discovered Ayreon:
Well, on Facebook the page Meme Theater continuosly posted about this project, claiming it was the best thing ever, and so I checked out The Human Equation. And after that nothing was the same again.

YES - FRAGILE
Classic prog, 1971

And here we are. I need to describe my infamous relationship with classic progressive acts. The two of us really don’t get along. If you ask me how the most famous of the Genesis song goes, I will go completely “Nope”. Well, I know a bit of Genesis of course, but you know what I mean. To this there are three exceptions: Rush, Pink Floyd and (even if for just a few albums) Yes.

This here, ladies and gentlemen, was Dream Theater done 20 years before Dream Theater, you can feel a part of their roots coming from here, especially when it comes to wacky section and grand choruses.
Fragile is a very strange-structured album: it has 4 songs basically, the rest of the tracks are instrument-based songs, one for each member of the band. This is one of the earliest albums that uses my favorite concept for progressive music: complex, but simple. Infact, while there are some pretty complex songs in the record, like South Side Of The Sky and the monstrous Heart Of The Sunrise, there are also fun and catchy tunes like Roundabout and Long Distance Runaround. The tracklist, even though it’s pretty strange, seems to work greatly. The album has an overall enjoyable flow and nice instrumentation to it. But one thing bothers me. ONE DAMN THING.

WHY is Five Percent For Nothing a thing?!? WHY?!?! WHYYYYYYYY *fades away

Tracklist:                                              Personnel:

Roundabout                                                       Jon Anderson - vocals
Cans And Brahms                                               Steve Howe – guitars, backing voc.
We Have Heaven                                               Bill Bruford – drums
South Side Of The Sky                                        Rick Wakeman - keyboards
Five Percent For Nothing                                    Chris Squire – bass, backing voc.
Long Distance Runaround
The Fish (Schindleria Praematurus)
Mood For A Day
Heart Of The Sunrise

Favorites: Roundabout Long Distance Runaround Heart Of The Sunrise

How I've discovered Yes:
Well, I also knew Yes (three songs: Close To The Edge, Roundabout, Owner Of A Lonely Heart) but I wanted to get into them, so I started a thing on reddit (you can check it out here) where I listened to the records and posted my thoughts. I did this with The The Yes Album, Fragile and Close To The Edge.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: MikeMangioy's 50 reasons why I'm better than you - v. Into our memory
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2014, 02:43:33 PM »
Nice to see some Ayreon there. Quite an odd pick, for sure, but the album is so good it deserves it. Arjen is a genuis.

Excellent album, even though as a whole it’s a little bit boring to listen to.

What? No.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2014, 02:47:02 PM »
I much prefer Migrator Part 2, but Part 1 is good.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2014, 02:56:38 PM »

I actually think Migrator Part 2 is one of the worst Ayreon albums, compared to other stellar work Arjen has put out. But to each their own, I guess.

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2014, 03:00:12 PM »

I actually think Migrator Part 2 is one of the worst Ayreon albums, compared to other stellar work Arjen has put out. But to each their own, I guess.

Agreed, but there is quite the song on that one (Into The Black Hole)

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2014, 03:54:19 PM »
I love The Human Equation but never heard that one by Ayreon. I should check.
And Fragile is great album.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2014, 04:57:51 PM »
I love The Human Equation but never heard that one by Ayreon. I should check.
This. Fragile is the only Yes album I like, but just that. Don't you like King Crimson?

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2014, 05:37:01 PM »
A great Ayreon album for sure.

Fragile is fantastic. I fell in love with it on the fist listen.

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2014, 06:17:55 AM »
Don't you like King Crimson?

The thing with classic prog, I know and like some songs, but not that much.

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2014, 01:57:47 PM »

MUSE - THE RESISTANCE
AlternelectroniSYMPHardprog rock, 2009

Muse. Just that. The guys are so lucky to be both commercially successful and very experimental. I love the attention these guys get,  it just proves that we can go beyond, and not listen to the same stuff over and over again.
For those unfamiliar with Muse.. well, they sound like a bunch of genres together – they have an alternative rock Radiohead-ish vibe, but they’re also known for using electronic elements in music (they even made a dubstep song)  and being quite heavy. Lots of 7-string guitars. Another part of their music is that it is quite symphonic sometimes, and that’s what this album especially focuses on.

The Resistence is often said to be the worst album by the british group, but I strongly disagree. Yes, there are some meh songs like Uprising, but the rest of the album is top notch: we have heavy songs like MK Ultra and Unnatural Selection, electronic funky pieces like Undisclosed Desires, and operatic songs, the title track and Guiding Light. The album also closes on a three piece symphony, called Exogenesis, which I don’t listen to very often, but when I do, it’s a journey. Great album, very varied, and also, it’s been recorded in Italy, another good thing.

Tracklist:                                                            Personnel:

Uprising                                                                          Matthew Bellamy – vocals, guitars,
Resistance                                                                     keyboards
Undisclosed Desires                                                     Christ Wolstenholme – bass,
United States Of Eurasia                                               b. vocals
Guiding Light                                                                   Dominic Howard – drums, synths                                     
 Unnatural Selection
MK Ultra
I Belong To You
Exogenesis: Symphony – Part 1: “Overture”
Exogenesis: Symphony – Part 2: “Cross-Pollination”
Exogenesis: Symhpony – Part 3: “Redemption”

Favorites: United States Of Eurasia Undisclosed Desires Unnatural Selection MK Ultra I Belong To You

How I've discovered Muse:
I was 7 when I first saw the video for Supermassive Black Hole on MTV. That video scared the shit out of me, but there was something about it that made me interested. I ‘ve always been a Muse fan, I’ve always known their songs since then. What a great time to be around.

HAKEN - VISIONS
Prog metal, 2011

Man, this is a surprise for me. In the original list in this spot there was gonna be Dookie,  by Green Day. But then Haken came around the corner and said “Hey there”.
Haken is a treasure. We must preserve it. They’re like the heirs of Dream Theater, and of progressive rock/metal in general. This was proven in this album, Visions, and confirmed with the next one, The Mountain. But, I’m not talking about The Mountain right now, that time will come soon.

Visions is beautiful. It’s a gorgeous record. Each song has a grand, majestic and epic sound to it, also with that silly edge that characterize the band (seriously, the title track has a jazz section, followed by metal, and then followed by samba. GODDAMN SAMBA). My only complaint is that it is a bit repetitive, I mean, each chorus sounds the same and also the instrumental sections, but they improved that part of themselves.

Even though it is a bit repetitive, each song on Visions is awesome. Premonition does an awesome job opening the album and forshadowing the music, Nocturnal Conspiracy has this dramatic sound to it which makes it unique. The album goes on with awesomness, until the moment comes around (see what I did there?), and you get to hear the 20 minutes long epic, Visions. Wow. Just wow. One of the most cohesive and good flowing epic I’ve ever heard. Thank you guys for your music.

Tracklist:                                        Personnel:

Premonition                                                  Ross Jennings - vocals
Nocturnal Conspiracy                                   Richard Henshall – guitar, keyboards
Insomnia                                                       Charles Griffiths - guitar
The Mind’s Eye                                             Diego Tejeida - keyboards
Portals                                                          Thomas McLean - bass
Shapeshifter                                                  Raymond Hearne – drums, percussions
Deathless
Visions

Favorites: Premonition Nocturnal Conspiracy Insomnia  Visions

How I've discovered Haken:

I always heard that Haken was a great band, in the prog communities on Facebook, so I checked Nocturnal Conspiracy but I didn’t find it that good actually. Fast forward to September of last year, The Mountain comes out, everyone goes nuts. And I’m like “nah, Haken are not my thing”, but I still wanted to listen to it. Months passes and finally I decide to check it out and this August, I listened to it and was completely blown away.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't like Muse. I like Haken. Visions is in my top ten of epics, love this song.

Also you're missing the space after "v." in thread title.  :)

Offline mikemangioy

Re:MikeMangioy 50 reasons why I'm better than you-v.History is always repeating
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2014, 02:09:44 PM »
Also you're missing the space after "v." in thread title.  :)

the subtitle wouldn't fit  :lol is that an actual issue?

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
I'd probably take any other Muse album besides that one :lol 

Pretty sure they just got steadily worse after Absolution.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Muse is ok. Not exactly my cup of tea though.

Haken man. :tup

Offline Outcrier

I'd probably take any other Muse album besides that one :lol 

Pretty sure they just got steadily worse after Absolution.

Agreed. Muse was a good band during Origin-Absolution releases.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Tomislav95

Haken :tup Visions would be even higher on my list
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Haken :tup Visions would be even higher on my list

Visions was my #8 on my first list I did, about 2.5 years ago. It's probably still in the top 15-20, but not as high anymore.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Visions' a good album, but yeah, it can be a little repetitive. Never heard any Muse album, so this one goes to my to-listen list.

Offline mikemangioy

Guys, just wanted to say i don't have internet connection these days, so i won't be posting for a while. As soon as i'm able to post something, i'll do it. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
were you grounded?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline mikemangioy

Nope, I just moved to another house, there's no internet at the moment. My only source is the tablet I'm writing from, which is not very practical for writing reviews.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
COME ON MIKEMANGIOY BRO Fuck.

Offline mikemangioy

Re: MikeMangioy's 50 reasons why I'm better than you - v. The tale goes on and on
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2014, 01:49:32 PM »
God bless the new internet connection! I'm back. Sorry for the delay.

NEVERMORE - DEAD HEART IN A DEAD WORLD
A good old pot of metals, 2000

And here it is, Nevermore’s masterpiece. Remember the evolution I mentioned in the first write up? Well, it happened and it is at its climax in this album.

From your pretty ordinary heavy/thrash band, Nevermore became literally one big pot of metals: we have influence from all the main subgenres – heavy, thrash, progressive and even death metal.
The album has plenty of great songs: the headbanging duo Narcosynthesis and We Disintegrate open the album in a great way.
We have quite the riffs in this album: Inside Four Walls and the title-track are great examples of that.
There are also two great power ballads, The Heart Collector and Believe In Nothing – both with the characteristic powerful chorus that Nevermore gives us in each ballad. Also, I have to mention the magnificent The River Dragon Has Come, truly the masterpiece of the album. Ooh, and there’s also the metal cover of The Sound Of Silence by Simon And Garfunkel. The song is completely different, but it’s a great listen.
Also, a good thing is the absence of bad vocal lines :D

So yeah, DHIADW is awesome: great guitar work, beastly drums, and good melodies and singing by Mr.Warrell Dane. Check it out.

Tracklist:                                                            Personnel:

Narcosynthesis                                                               Warrell Dane  - vocals
We Disintegrate                                                              Jeff Loomis - guitars
Inside Four Walls                                                            Jim Sheppard - bass
Evolution 169                                                                  Van Williams - drums
The River Dragon Has Come
The Heart Collector
Engines Of Hate
The Sound Of Silence
Insignificant
Believe In Nothing
Dead Heart In A Dead World

Favorites: Narcosynthesis We Disintegrate Inside Four Walls The River Dragon Has Come

IRON MAIDEN - POWERSLAVE
Heavy/Power/Speed/Prog Metal, 1984

Iron Maiden might be the greatest metal band ever. Even if their stuff is a bit repetitive, and even if there are some pretty mediocre albums in their catalogue, they still are one of the undeniable quintessential metal bands around. Just take a look at the classics: The Number Of The Beast? Run To The Hills? Fear Of The Dark? I could go on and on.

Powerslave is the band fifth effort and good god, they’re at the top of their game. The album is packed with adventurous-sounding pieces, heavy rythms and glorious choruses. Aces High is one of the greatest openers ever, IMO and then there’s 2 Minutes To Midnight, the most known piece out of this record. The album continues and the final two pieces are some of the best songs that Maiden ever put out in their entire discography.
The title-track has this Egyptian atmosphere (hence the album artwork, one of the best album covers I’ve ever seen) with one heck of a solo. And then there’s Rime Of The Ancient Mariner, which is my favorite Maiden tune. At the beginning it may seem like your standard Maiden galloping tune, but as you listen to it, you find out quite the twists and turns in it.

So Powerslave is an awesome record, also if you wanna get into Maiden or metal in general, you can’t go wrong with this one. Many subgenres together, catchiness and overall a really enjoyable listen. Up the irons, man.

Tracklist:                                   Personnel:

Aces High                                               Bruce Dickinson - vocals
2 Minutes To Midnight                            Adrian Smith - guitar
Losfer Words (Big ‘Orra)                        Dave Murray - guitar
Flash Of The Blade                                Steve Harris - bass
The Duellists                                           Nicko McBrain - drums
Back In The Village
Powerslave
Rime Of The Ancient Mariner

Favorites: Aces High The Duellists Powerslave Rime Of The Ancient Mariner

How I've discovered Iron Maiden:

I’ve always known Iron Maiden. I often saw people with their t-shirts, but I was scared of Eddie (yeah, stupid, but I was a kid) so I didn’t check them out seriously until I received En Vivo as a gift. What a band, man, what a band.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: MikeMangioy's 50 reasons why I'm better than you - v. The tale goes on and on
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2014, 02:12:14 PM »
Not my favourite Iron Maiden album, and this Nevermore album didn't do the thing for me. Waiting for the next update.  :angel:

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2014, 02:13:44 PM »
Not my favourite Iron Maiden album, and this Nevermore album didn't do the thing for me. Waiting for the next update.  :angel:

You're loving this list, aren't you  :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2014, 02:23:15 PM »

You're loving this list, aren't you  :lol

I bet you'll have your revenge on mine.  :lol But seriously, I'm interested to see what bands you have in your sleeve. I like Iron Maiden though, just not that album.

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2014, 02:34:44 PM »

I bet you'll have your revenge on mine.  :lol But seriously, I'm interested to see what bands you have in your sleeve. I like Iron Maiden though, just not that album.

I think that the next update is the last big controversial thing   :xbones

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2014, 03:01:11 PM »
Powerslave is one of my favorites from Maiden, so consistently great from start to finish :metal
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2014, 06:14:09 PM »
Those are two outstanding choices

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2014, 07:20:01 PM »
Loved Powerslave to death on first listen. :metal

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2014, 09:05:12 PM »
I have a big lack of classic metal records and bands, so both will go to the to-listen list. Highly interested on the rest of the list :tup .

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2014, 09:17:52 PM »
Those are two outstanding choices

Yep.  Powerslave was top 5 for me.  Amazing Nevermore album too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.