Author Topic: MikeMangioy's 50 reasons why I'm better than you - v. Numero Uno  (Read 26571 times)

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Re: MikeMangioy's 50 reasons why I'm better than you - v. I was born for dying
« Reply #105 on: October 03, 2014, 02:34:50 PM »
I knew what album it had to be from the title. :metal Master of Puppets is a metal masterpiece, I don't care what anyone says about Metallica.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #106 on: October 03, 2014, 02:56:27 PM »
Holy yes Rammstein! Herzeleid isn't my favourite, but there's no album from Rammstein that I don't enjoy, and it's probably one of the... four albums of theirs that would be vying for second favourite Rammstein album, so it's pretty damn good. If you haven't already, definitely check out the album "Mutter", it's fucking awesome - definitely in my Top 20 albums of all time.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #107 on: October 05, 2014, 02:34:43 PM »
Holy yes Rammstein! Herzeleid isn't my favourite, but there's no album from Rammstein that I don't enjoy, and it's probably one of the... four albums of theirs that would be vying for second favourite Rammstein album, so it's pretty damn good. If you haven't already, definitely check out the album "Mutter", it's fucking awesome - definitely in my Top 20 albums of all time.

Indeed, my friend.

Time for some peculiar stuff!

CAPAREZZA - MUSEICA
Rap-Based Everything, 2014

Alright, so, this. I was waiting for this moment. I’m sure that nobody on the forum knows this particular artist, except maybe my fellow Italian mates. Caparezza is an Italian rapper, and while an unacceptable amount of Italian rappers are pretty shitty, this guy here is the shining light in the dark room, the spare toilet paper roll in your bathroom. Even though he’s a rapper, Capa (his diminutive) has this ability of not only writing god-like lyrics, with plenty of references to books, cinema and other music in general (sometimes his lyrics are just a list of references to a particular subject, he did this with videogames, movie spoilers, album covers, nostalgic Italian pop colture), his use of puns and of similes is pure genius. Of course, you could only really appreciate his lyrics if you knew Italian very well, but that’s just a detail. Musically, the guy is mad. He’s done nearly every genre available, from pure rap to metal, from celtic to 80’s pop – he even did a song based on his doorbell sound. Not kidding. The only negative aspect (but I love this aspect of his music) is that he has a veeery nasal voice. It doesn’t bother me personally, but it can be a little annoying.

Anyways, on with the album! Museica came out in april and it’s pure bliss. The title is a union of three italian words: Musica (which means music), Sei (six) and Museo (museum) – infact, this is a concept album based on art: the album plays like a museum, each song is inspired by a painting.
At the beginning of the record you have this crazy intro, called Canzone All’Entrata (Entrance song), which is full on puns, and is really ironic. Then the first real song is Avrai Ragione Tu (You Are Right, Then). It’s a pretty steady-rhythm march-like song, inspired by the berlin wall’s graffiti “My God, Help Me to Survive This Deadly Love”, it talks about a Russian army entering Capa’s head, and making him regret and deny every idea that he has. It’s a good song, not my favorite but the next track brings things up a notch. Mica Van Gogh (Not Van Gogh) is an heavy riff driven song that talks about how Van Gogh isn’t mad, like most people believe, but we are the mad ones. The record goes on with Non Me Lo Posso Permettere (I Can’t Afford That), which is this irish-folk song inspired by Three Studies Of Lucian Freud, a painting that costs 17 million dollars, that of course talks about the economical crisis that made us use the phrase “Non Me Lo Posso Permettere” in various contexts, even out of money-related stuff. Then there’s Figli D’Arte (literally Sons Of Art, although the meaning of the phrase is someone who has a famous father, either he’s an actor, musician etc..), a pop-rock song about how this guy regrets the life that he has, because he’s the son of a musician, and his father is not so great with him like he is with his fans. The album goes on and on, it’s got 19 freaking songs, so that’s a lot of content. Other great tracks are Comunque Dada (Always Dada), a ska-ish song about Dadaism, Cover, this trip-hop-desert track with a lot of references to cover arts, the beautiful ballad China Town (you read it “Keena”, it literally means Ink Town), an ode to books and to creative writing, Canzone A Metà (Halfway Song), a really cool synth driven song about unaccomplished stuff, Argenti Vive, my favorite, (Argenti Lives), basically a diss track from Filippo Argenti to Dante Alighieri, that takes place during the Divine Comedy. This one track is as metal as Caparezza gets. And the album goes on and on, it doesn’t stop even for a moment: Sfogati (Let It Out), Fai Da Tela (Do The Canvas) and Troppo Politico (Too Political) are three other amazing tracks.

So yeah, Museica is a great piece of music, and of art in general. Now, I ask you a favor. PLEASE listen to at least one track of this record, and let me know what you think about it. I think it would be an interesting experience for both you and me :D

Tracklist:

Canzone All'Entrata
Avrai Ragione Tu (Ritratto)
Mica Van Gogh
Non Me Lo Posso Permettere
Figli D'Arte
Comunque Dada
Giotto Beat
Cover
China Town
Canzone A Metà
Teste Di Modì
Argenti Vive
Compro Horror
Kitaro
Troppo Politico
Sfogati
Fai Da Tela
E' Tardi
Canzone All'Uscita

--Performed by Caparezza (vocals), Alfredo Ferrero (guitar), Gaetano Camporeale (keyboards), Giovanni Astorino (bass, cello), Rino Corrieri (drums) and many more persons...--

How I've discovered Caparezza:

I became obsessed with this guy around 2007 where a really cool song called Torna Catalessi was having a huge success. I was thrilled by it, so I listened to all the stuff the guy had put out and bam, I was a fan.

SABATON - THE ART OF WAR
Not so Cheesy Power Metal, 2008

Oh man, Sabaton are a great band. Even though they're power metal (a genre that is very hit or miss with me), they're not all that cheesy. Why? Well, they talk about famous battles and war-facts in their songs, and the lyrics are actually great and interesting to listen to. Pretty istructive, actually. Yeah, my 8th grade exam presentation was based on WWII and I used Sabaton songs to narrate it. And it went well  :D - what more could you desire?
Musically Sabaton are very "triumphant", Joakim is a great singer, I really like the tone of his voice, and I also really like him as a person, he's so freaking nice and funny, you should watch some videos on Youtube, including "Gay Division".

The Art Of War is the band's fourth album and it has a wide variety of awesome songs on it  :metal - I love the opening of the record, with the quotation from The Art Of War (the book) - "It's a matter of life and death, a road either to safety or to ruin".... TATATATATATATATATABAM - Ghost Division! One of the greatest opening track from any album. The song is fast, catchy, glorious and overall awesome. That's a nice sum-up of the whole disc, actually  :lol - Other glorious (adjective that substitutes "amazing" in power metal writeups) songs are one of their most popular tracks, 40:1, a song about The Battle Of Wizna, in Poland. The title-track is also awesome, but probably one of the best songs in the record is Unbreakable, which is halfay an half-tempo (heh) anthemic thing, and halfway a furious Maiden fest. Talvisota and Panzerkampf are other amazing moments, but the two final tracks take the cake: The Price Of A Mile is a slow-tempo song that narrates The Battle Of Paschaendale in a very pessimistic way, the lyrics fit well the mood of the track. Amazing vocals and chorus. The last track, very much like Damage Inc. with Master Of Puppets, closes the album with a destructive tune - in every sense. Firestorm talks about the bombings during WWII and man, the music matches well the thematic.

So, yeah, if your looking for a fun, catchy and anthemic album, go for this one, you can't go wrong.

Tracklist:

Sun Tzu Says
Ghost Division
The Art Of War
40:1
Unbreakable
Cliffs Of Gallipoli
Talvisota
Panzerkampf
Union (Slopes Of St.Benedict)
The Price Of A Mile
Firestorm
A Secret

--Performed by Joakim Brodén (vocals), Richard Sundén (guitar), Oskar Montelius (guitar), Par Sundstorm (bass), Daniel Mullback (drums), Daniel Myhr (keyboards)--

How I've discovered Sabaton:
In the metal community on Facebook, Sabaton seemed to be pretty popular. I always read about them, and so one day I decided to check them out, and I listened to Primo Victoria. Victory indeed.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: MikeMangioy's 50 reasons why I'm better than you - v. Baptised in fire
« Reply #108 on: October 05, 2014, 03:01:56 PM »
I kind of like Sabaton, depends of my mood. Not the band I would put in Top 50, but still, they're OK.

I've listened to "Cover" from this another album, but I turned it off after ~25 seconds, sorry.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #109 on: October 05, 2014, 03:05:55 PM »
Interesting, will check that Capa album :P . I thin I've heard Sabaton's Carolux Rex a few times, and although it doesn't blow my mind, I find quite good to be power metal. Will give it more spins just in case it grows on me.

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #110 on: October 05, 2014, 03:07:08 PM »
Interesting, will check that Capa album :P . I thin I've heard Sabaton's Carolux Rex a few times, and although it doesn't blow my mind, I find quite good to be power metal. Will give it more spins just in case it grows on me.

Carolus Rex is also amazing, might be my third or fourth favorite  :tup

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #111 on: October 06, 2014, 02:36:31 PM »
Alright, last double update y'all!

RAMMSTEIN - LIEBE IST FÜR ALLE DA
Industrial Metal, 2009

Rammstein's latest records were characterized by a loss of their disco-ish music, but that doesn't mean they're not heavy... infact, their heavier this way! Yep, Reise Reise, Rosenrot and LIFAD are all pretty straight industrial metal. But they're all great.

This one especially has a very nice collection of songs, the album opens with Rammleid which is this self-acclaiming hymn, kind of cheesy, but good nonetheless, (I mean, RAMM! STEIN! is an awesome opening), then there's Ich Tu Dir Weh with its puke-inducing lyrics (in a good way). Waidmans Heil is one of the reasons I ever got into Rammstein. The song is so good that I often repeat at random "DIE KREATUR MUSS STERBEEEEEEEEEN" - it's an awesome piece of music, energic and pumping  :metal :metal. Haifisch is an ok song but the video is a masterpiece. You know, Rammstein's music videos are, along with Foo Fighters', the best music videos I've ever seen in my life. Keine Lust, Amerika, Ohne Dich... great stuff. Haifisch's video though is like a combination of all of them and it's actually shiver-inducing, especially when you watch it after you watched all the other videos. B******** is one gnarly piece of music. It's pure freaking evil and heavy as hell I love it. The heaviest track on the album is followed by the sweet Frühling In Paris, which is beauty at its pure state. Truly a wonderful track. Wiener Blut is very interesting: it starts out with an electronic verse and slowly the heaviness starts to crawl towards you, and when Till says "Wilkommen" you should be arfraid. Especially if you see it live, there are dolls on the stage at this point. I won't say the way they actually are on the stage. Pussy is another cheesy, but fun song, also a great moment live, not my favorite though. Then there's the title-track, which has to be one of my all-time favorite tracks from Rammstein - it's the perfect fusion of anger and melodicness and great use of Till's deeeeep voices and Flake's electronic stuff. Mehr and Roter Sand close the album greatly.

So yeah, LIFAD is great to listen to as a whole, it really flows well and it has quite an atmosphere. Can't wait for the follow-up.

Tracklist:

Rammleid
Ich Tu Dir Weh
Waidmanns Heil
Haifisch
B********
Frühling In Paris
Wiener Blut
Pussy
Liebe Ist Für Alle Da
Mehr
Roter Sand

(Favorites: The whole goddamn thing)

--Performed by Till Lindemann (vocals), Richard Kruspe (guitar), Paul Landers (vocals), Dr.Flake (keyboards), Christoph Schneider (drums)--

DESTRAGE - ARE YOU KIDDING ME? NO.
The title is a strong description of the music these guys do, 2014

Does anyone of you guys know Destrage? If you do, awesome. If you don't go listen to them. NOW
Destrage is an italian band and they're crazy. But high levels of crazy. They unite dissonant melodies a-la Dillinger Escape Plan, with Opeth-y growls and very melodic clean vocals, with a touch of punk and electronic influences, SOAD madness and Periphery technicality. The result is a mess. Seriously, it's a mess, when you listen to this album the first time you really feel overwhelmed by that stuff, but then you realize each song is very catchy and memorable, that's how at least it went for me. That's what Destrage is - chaotic but simple, and that's the concept this album revolves around: you find it everywhere, even in the album cover. Each song is great, the first three tracks are  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy especially if you listen to them in succession, the song G.O.D. is easily the greatest example of the complex simplicity thing I explained earlier. The ballad of the album is also great, Where The Things Have No Colour. The chorus is amazing and the bridge is stunning, the finale... THE FINALE for Christ's sake. -(Obedience) is easily my favorite song of the record, it's centered around a 4 over 7 dissonant riff and lyrics that deal with being a """"""reble""""""" (something that happens a lot in italian society). The title-track is the title-track. Is 7 minutes of complete chaos and confusion, complete disorder. Also, with a nice solo section from Bumblefoot. The lyrics are very relatable personally (Destroy Create Transform Sublimates deals with creativity, Purania with elitism, G.O.D. with "face everyday like it's the perfect day" kind of philosophy) just amazing, and very party-like and smile inducing stuff.
So if you're crazy enough to explore this chaotic stuff, go for it, you'll be rewarded with a nice discovery.

Tracklist:

Destroy, Create, Transform, Sublimate
Purania
My Green Neighbour
Hosts, Rifles And Coke
G.O.D.
Where The Things Have No Colour
Waterpark Bachelorette
Before, After And All Around
-(Obedience)
Are You Kidding Me? No.

(unfortunately there are just four songs on Youtube so no links, but you can search on Spotify - favorites: Purania, My Green Neighbour, G.O.D., Where The Things Have No Colour, -(Obedience))

--Performed by Paolo Colavolpe (vocals), Matteo Di Gioia (guitar), Ralph Salati (guitar), Federico Paulovich (drums), Gabriel Pignata (bass)--

How I've discovered Destrage:

A good friend of mine talked about this band, so I checked them out (I listened to the song Twice The Price) and I thought "It's just another melodeath band" but NOPE - in April i listened to Purania and it was like finding a gold nugget. Such a unique song. I started from there.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 12:16:52 PM by mikemangioy »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Title was suspicious . I think I once heard a song from that Destrage band, and thought it was damn sick yet awesome enough. So yeah, this goes to my to-listen list.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I remember RJ raving about how awesome this Destrage album is, so I listened to it, and while it has a lot of good stuff, it's just too all over the place and crazy for me. Still, quite an interesting pick here.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Liebe ist für alle da is amazing. I needed some time to warm up to it, and it's probably not in my Rammstein Top 3, but it has so many awesome song that I still love it to death.

I have that Destrage album, but I forgot copying it to my computer before I left to college, because I was stressed and it arrived like two hours before I had to leave. I'm currently debating over whether I'll wait until the weekend when my grandparents will show up here and bring it or if I just head to YouTube. Though at least two songs on this albums are already known to be great - the opening track and the title track - those are the ones that convinced me to buy this album.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
I have heard nothing on this page, god I'm so uncool

Offline mikemangioy

I have that Destrage album, but I forgot copying it to my computer before I left to college, because I was stressed and it arrived like two hours before I had to leave. I'm currently debating over whether I'll wait until the weekend when my grandparents will show up here and bring it or if I just head to YouTube. Though at least two songs on this albums are already known to be great - the opening track and the title track - those are the ones that convinced me to buy this album.

If you're interested I made a video for the album because of the lack of songs on Youtube. Here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep-MOnxzhxA

Offline mikemangioy

Poor Jason.

METALLICA - ....AND JUSTICE FOR ALL
Thrash metal, very prog - 1988

The undeniably prog Metallica album is next. This is my favorite from them, and I have to say, as a drummer, this is one of the funniest album to play, the drum arragements are interesting and fun, and I feel like Portnoy took a lot from here.
At the time, Metallica was in a bad shape. They had just lost Cliff, and the band was unsure whether to continue or not. They decided to go and hired poor Jason Newsted; I really feel sorry for the guy. He was given a great opportunity, but of course the other guys had to be dicks towards him. Jason was a great addition to Metallica, not only because of his stage presence, but his licks maaan, they kicked ass. It's a shame he left, especially when you look at the reasons why. But I mean HE FOCKING LEFT THE BAND

Let's talk about this record. And Justice For All  is magnificent. It's also a very different album when you look at the band's catalogue at the time - this record sounds dry as the desert. The mix is barebones, there's no breathing space it's all compressed and it's sooooooo amazing. The absence of the bass to the mix makes it furtherly unique and really memorable.
The songs are top notch, and very technical this time (and long too) - Blackened is my favorite 'Tallica opener, it starts the album in a crushing way, and I love the lyrics and the interlude. And maaaan dat solo. The title-track is... is... TRIUMPHANT. It's a mammoth piece for the band, one of their longest and I just love everything about it. The arrangement, the lyrics, the drum part, the structure, goddamit, THE STRUCTURE is remarkable. One of my favorites Metallica songs, if not my favorite, period. Then there's the classic song, One. Also my favorite semi-ballad by the band, I really enjoy the way it builds and builds and builds until the heaviest of all riffs makes its appearance and it's just  :metal :metal :metal - the live version of that song is always pleasant to listen to, I love how James changes the vocal line in "Fed through the tube that STICKS IN ME" - very emotional. The lightshow and the fireshow also help the amazingness. One is truly a masterpiece. Not to talk about the grandious heaviness of Harvester Of Sorrow  :omg: - When I first heard that track I was SCARED for how heavy it was. It sounds really mean and menacing and it's one of my favorites. Other underrated tracks are The Shortest Straw and The Frayed Ends Of Sanity, both too overlooked by the band and the fans. I mean, maybe the fans love them, but the band really doesn't care about them, especially for FEOS, they only ever played it ONE time (and it was by request), maybe because it's easily 'Tallica's most technical song ever and Lars is not the best drummer on earth.
To Live Is To Die (the instrumental) is another great moment on the record, maybe it drags on a little bit, but it's amazing nontheless - very emotional and I love the spoken words in it. I also like the way it transitions into Dyers Eve, which is pure  :metal :metal :metal :metal and closes the album greatly.

So yeah, AJFA is my favorite Metallica record, and it sounds pretty different from the rest of their "classic" stuff, and I like that.

Tracklist:

Blackened
...And Justice For All
Eye Of The Beholder
One
The Shortest Straw
Harvester Of Sorrow
The Frayed Ends Of Sanity
To Live Is To Die
Dyers Eve

Favorites: EVERYTHING

--Performed by James Hetfield (vocals, ryhtm guitar), Kirk Hammett (lead guitar), Lars Ulrich (drums), Jason Newsted ("bass")--

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Re: MikeMangioy's 50 reasons why I'm better than you - v. Myself is after me
« Reply #118 on: October 08, 2014, 01:35:46 PM »
Nice.  I always thought James' solo on TLITD was better than anything Kirk ever did. Haha.  Well, it had a buttload more emotion anyways.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #119 on: October 08, 2014, 02:03:01 PM »
My fav tallica album.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #120 on: October 08, 2014, 03:07:50 PM »
To Live is To Die is my second favorite Metallica instrumental, only beat by Orion. AJFA in general is an amazing metal record. Relentlessly angry and memorable.

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #121 on: October 09, 2014, 12:08:53 PM »
Time for one chill record.

DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT - KI
Silent metal/Ambient/Sssh rock/Blues rock, 2009

Devin Motherluvin' Townsend. One name, one legend. I fell in love with Devin's work at the beginning of July and I have to say: wow. Just wow. In just three months I've listened to some of the best records I've ever heard. We all know Devin for his grand and epic wall of sound, either he uses it with poppish atmospheres, really layered atmospheres (Ocean Machine and Terria are too much for me, apart for a couple of songs) or fucking brutal atmospheres, like he did with Strapping Young Lad or Deconstruction. But we'll talk about that soon.
This album is the total opposite of everything I just said. It has everything but it has nothing.

Ki is pretty simplistic in nature: the songs are pretty quiet and the mixing is clear, there's no wall of sound whatsoever. Even when the album actually gets heavy, the mixing is still normal, there's no heavily compressed and overwhelming production. This album has essentially two types of songs: the build-up songs and the really quiet stuff. And man, is it beautiful.
The whole record is dyed with beauty in every form, with a little touch of anger here and there, just to spice things up. A Monday is the perfect intro for the album: calm, echoey, soft, like watching the sunrise in perfect peace. This is just  :hefdaddy - and that's just the intro of the album. Coast starts things up with a very chill groove and emotional vocals. I like the sudden buildup at the end that stops just about the right time. Disruptr, Gato and Heaven's End (the actual title is like that) are the "heavy" songs, they start with heavy riffs played with a very low dynamic and they build slowly and at about 5 mins into the songs, the earth crumbles. Especially in Heaven's End.
BURN
I think that's my favorite song on the record. Terminal, Winter and Lady Helen are gorgeous ballads, heavily atmospheric.. man I love Devin's echoey guitars... Hyperdrive at The Retinal Circus is  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
Trainfire is a strange blues/ambient hybrid type of song, not my favorite, but worth mentioning. And then the title track. A song so powerful that when you listen to it you feel like if you're on a mountain  slowly raising from the ground. The build up and climax of the song are incredibly... incredibly... I don't know. I can't describe it, you have to listen to it. Like the whole record, it's not so easy to describe, you have to listen to it to fully apprehend what I mean.

Lovely, lovely, lovely. And pretty diverse too. I reccomend watching the By A Thread concert of this record, it's perfect for a first listen, with a few bonus songs like the holy Deep Peace  :heart

Tracklist:

A Monday
Coast
Disruptr
Gato
Terminal
Heaven's End
Ain't Never Gonna Win
Winter
Trainfire
Lady Helen
Ki
Quiet Riot
Demon League

--Performed by Devin Townsend (vocals, guitars, ambience, programming), Duris Maxwell (drums), Jean Savoie (bass), Dave Young (keyboards, ambience) / with Ché Aimee Dorval (additional vocals) --

How I've discovered Devin Townsend:

I  know who Devin is from about a year and a half now - at first I listened to the tracks Deconstruction and The Mighty Masturbator, and I made a ridicolous mistake. I classified Devin's music as "impenetrable", and I didn't bother exploring his catalogue. Until this summer, I saw The Retinal Circus, because I read that it was crazy/amazing and boom, suddently I became a fan. I'm glad I watched it because otherwise, I could've missed a lot of great stuff.  :metal

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Re: MikeMangioy's 50 reasons why I'm better than you - v. The night is soft...
« Reply #122 on: October 09, 2014, 12:24:09 PM »
Was listening to this album on a whim as I opened up this thread. :lol

I'm in love with it. One of Devin's best albums for sure. So intense yet incredibly atmospheric and serene as well. :heart

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: October 09, 2014, 02:38:11 PM »
I've tried listening to Ki several time but unlike Ghost, I can't relate to it. It has what I call the "Lateralus Syndrome", where all the songs sound the same and I can't tell when one ends and when the other begins. Definitely not my cup of tea :P .

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #124 on: October 09, 2014, 02:49:40 PM »
Love Ki. The title track is definitely my favourite Devy tune.

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #125 on: October 09, 2014, 03:24:08 PM »
I've tried listening to Ki several time but unlike Ghost, I can't relate to it. It has what I call the "Lateralus Syndrome", where all the songs sound the same and I can't tell when one ends and when the other begins. Definitely not my cup of tea :P .

Funny, I feel the same way with Ghost. Heh.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #126 on: October 09, 2014, 03:24:57 PM »
Both Ghost and Ki are great. But Ki is my favorite.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #127 on: October 09, 2014, 04:00:27 PM »
AJFA always was my favorite Metallica record.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #128 on: October 10, 2014, 04:14:51 AM »
Love Ki. The title track is definitely my favourite Devy tune.

Indeed. The album came in my top 20. Ki has yet to be outdone by Devin (although, Terria is my favourite of his, but that one came out before Ki).
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: October 10, 2014, 08:29:13 AM »
Funny thing, most of Devin's albums do nothing for me, but Ki is alright, I spin it occasionally.

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #130 on: October 10, 2014, 02:11:07 PM »

DREAM THEATER - DREAM THEATER
Deathcore - 2013

And here we go, DT12 is next. This is the first album that gets released since I became a fan, and it's very important for me. It's like a symbol of my first year as a fan, the discovery and the amazing journey I've made since then. Like a huge climax. And man, if there's one thing this album is, that's being huge.

The whole record has this huge, cinematic and epic vibe, that is kinda new (kinda) to the band's sound. Each and every song has an anthemic chorus, either if it comes from a rocker, like The Enemy Inside or from a ballad, like Along For The Ride. I really like False Awakening Suite as an opener, it was used extremely well in the context of the tour. Dat intro video. I wish it was connected to TEI, though. TEI is a good song, not the best on the album but I really like Mangini's work on that song and the "anxiety" factor of the music. It captures well the lyrics. The Looking Glass is amazing. I like the shortness of the song, the sound (that strongly reminds me of Rush) and the structure especially. The guitar solo in that song is also very nice, it might be my favorite in the album. Enigma Machine was a bit underwhelming, being the first instrumental after 10 years (without counting Raw Dog), but it's a very fun song to listen to and to play. And the live version is 100x more awesome, thanks to the animation and that  :hefdaddy drum solo. Goddamn Mangini, man, Goddamn Mangini. Then there's The Bigger Picture. Favorite song. The emotion that this song transpires makes it really stunning. The chorus is... wow. I can't describe it. Behind The Veil is also great, tons of good riffs and melodies in that one. Surrender To Reason is a pretty bipolar song that alternates grand and melodic parts to dissonant and technical sections. Good song. Also, dem Myung lyrics. I really like the atmosphere of Along For The Ride, I really enjoyed it at the concert, and it features my 2nd favorite keyboard solo. Plain amazing. Then, of course, Illumination Theory. Stunning. Every aspect of that song is absolutely top-notch. The only downside of this album is the production. It has a very "plastic" sound. But the music is so great that it compensates it.

Good job, DT. Best album since SDOIT.

Tracklist:

False Awakening Suite
The Enemy Inside
The Looking Glass
Enigma Machine
The Bigger Picture
Behind The Veil
Surrender To Reason
Along For The Ride
Illumination Theory

--Performed by James LaBrie (vocals), John Petrucci (guitars), Jordan Rudess (keyboards, Apple devices, other wacky stuff), John Myung (bass), Mike Mangini (drums)--

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: October 10, 2014, 02:27:17 PM »
Whoa. I think DT is one of my least favourite DT albums. Not counting SDOIT and the albums before it here goes: ToT > SC > ADTOE = 8VM > DT12 > BC&SL for me.

But, well, since it's the first album that was released since you became a fan, I can totally appreciate this choice, that's why SC is so high in my personal DT-albums list. Those things are always important.  :tup

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Nice! :tup It's a definite step up from the albums that came before. Wouldn't rank it so high myself, but it's great all around.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #133 on: October 10, 2014, 08:35:24 PM »
John Myung (bass and taurus pedals*)

Fixed ;D

Already 22? that was fast.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
dat cut off. :p

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Yeah...not exactly a top 6 DT album for me.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Hey,can i ask you something?  How come I always get just 2-3 replies? I'm not saying that I don't appreciate doing this list because of that, just wondering. I see other's peoples list with 7-8 replies, what's wrong with mine? Do I post too early/late

Just a matter of popularity, my friend.

Pretty much, I wouldn't really worry about it too much.  You have the posters that have been here forever that know each other and always post in each others stuff and you get people that just... aren't like that.  I used to worry about shit like that when I first started posting but I couldn't give two squirts of piss about it now, just post where you like when you like and if you're saying something people wanna engage with they'll do it.  No biggie. 

tl;dr welcome to DTF's remedial class, I've been here since 2008 hi-yo.

Yeah all of this. I just finished my list and it only consisted of 5 pages worth of my write-ups and replies. I too use to be bug by nobody responding to my posts or lists I posted, but like Sneaky said, I don't care anymore. My rookie year in the forum was in 2007.

So catching up on your list, good sir!

Good to see Muse on your list! The 2nd Law is what got my attention (mainly because of "Madness") and i've been listening to their stuff since.

Ayreon is a band that I need to check out. Should I check out 01011001 first, or do you recommend another album?

Love the inclusion of Powerslave  :metal

Offline mikemangioy

Thanks for joining, Accelerando!

Anyways, just popped in to say get ready for one heck of a controversial update. Tomorrow.

Offline mikemangioy

Oh gosh, I'm arfraid of this update.. here we go.
# 21

GREEN DAY - 21st CENTURY BREAKDOWN

Please don't hurt me - 2009

Green Day once again. This time it's their not-so-acclaimed 2009 record, 21st Century Breakdown. I really like this record, I think that, while of course there are some meh songs, there are amazing tunes in it. And it has a very nice flow - one big letdown is that the story of the concept is not so great. They really forced the "rock opera" this time around, and it's not so well-narrated like in American Idiot. But whatever. This album, like American Idiot, is pretty varied: we have once again two suites (this time shorter in length)-  the title-track and American Eulogy - some famous singles (not as great as AI's ones) - Know Your Enemy and 21 Guns - and furious pieces of music - Horshoes and Handgrenades, and my favorite, East Jesus Nowhere. This time the band adopted a more melodic approach, and as a result we get amazing hooks, like in The Static Age, See The Light or Murder City. The biggest problem that this record has is that it's very inconsistent: the songs in it either are awesome or pretty shitty actually. Of course, it's in this position thanks to songs like East Jesus, Restless Heart Syndrome (miiiles ahead of 21 Guns as a ballad, but sadly unknown) and Peacemaker. But songs like Know Your Enemy, the two Gloria songs, Last Night On Earth and Last Of The American Girls? Nope. Not worthy.
I really like the way the album has a recurring theme, which is Song Of The Century, and I also like how everything comes full circle in the last track.

So yeah, 21stCB may not be the greatest record of all time, but it surely has its amazing moments that make me enjoy it a lot. Favorite Green Day record.

Tracklist:

Song Of The Century
21st Century Breakdown
Know Your Enemy
iViva La Gloria!
Before The Lobotomy
Christian's Inferno
Last Night On Earth
East Jesus Nowhere
Peacemaker
Last Of The American Girls
Murder City
¿Viva La Gloria? (Little Girl)
Restless Heart Syndrome
Horseshoes And Handgrenades
The Static Age
21 Guns
American Eulogy
See The Light

--Performed by Billie Joe Armstrong (vocals, guitar, piano) Mike Dirnt (bass, back. vocals) Tré Cool (drums)/ with Jason Freese (piano)--

Offline mikemangioy

Yaaay no replies!  Yep, risky update is risky