Author Topic: Top 20 Guitar Solos - now up: ReaperKK (starting page 5)  (Read 14610 times)

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Top 20 Guitar Solos
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2014, 04:02:33 AM »
Agalloch :hefdaddy
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2014, 05:55:27 AM »
Lists:  What DTF is good at.

I know some of these; don't know others.  Will listen later.  Great idea Tommy Boy.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2014, 06:34:57 AM »
Looking at this list - and as a guitarist myself, I think I might do one as well! :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2014, 07:42:42 AM »
11. Stratovarius - Elysium [Matias Kupianen]

Stratovarius - both with Timo Tolkki and with Matias Kupianen - have a ton of great and memorable solos, but that middle solo on "Elysium" is the high point for me. It took me a while to decide between this one and the outro solo, but this one won out, even though the second half of it is technically a guitar/keyboard unison, but so what. What I like about this solo is the high intensity in the first part that makes do without a whole lot of shred, only to then bust into some of the most memorable shredding in the unison, with both parts being remarkebly different in style and yet sharing the same intensity to them and fitting the song perfectly. And that transition into the chorus... :hefdaddy

10. Megadeth - Tornado of Souls [Marty Friedman]

Megadeth's recent output, one could argue, has been less than stellar, even though I liked tracks on both Th1rt3en and Super Collider, but it's not denying that back in 1990, with the release of Rust in Peace, Megadeth were one of the best metal bands in the world, and on that album, everything came together - especially in the dual guitar attack of the furious riffs of Dave Mustaine and the  amazing solos of Marty Friedman. What he does on this track is the best solo that he has, in my opinion, ever done in his lengthy career, and one that both he and Megadeth seem unlikely to top. The way that this solo builds up from a simple motif into complex shredding, yet always retaining a sense of melody and purpose at its core is unmatched in all thrash metal for me.

09. Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness [Bjørn Harstad]

"Light of Day, Day of Darkness" is the best 30+-minute track I know, and this solo contributes a large part to it. Like the song, it isn't technical at all, but about mood first and formost, and it does a splendid job at that. It's also quite a long solo, even though it doesn't feel like that long within such a behemoth of a song, yet it is painstakingly developed with great care and with great attention to every detail. The final climb of the solo is one of the best musical climaxes that I know, and as a whole, these two minutes of guitar solo are definitely the highlight of this amazing song for me, everytime that I listen to it.

scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: September 14, 2014, 07:46:27 AM »
That's more like it  ;D  Tornado of Souls in particular would come under consideration if I was to try and do a list like this  :tup
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2014, 02:05:34 PM »
First 2 are awesome. Not heard the other - did try it at one time but its growly - will have a listen to the solo.

The Elysium solo - is it just me or does the beginning of the first solo starting about 3 minutes in remind anyone else of Under A Glass Moon's solo?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2014, 03:43:27 PM »
09. Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness [Bjørn Harstad]

"Light of Day, Day of Darkness" is the best 30+-minute track I know, and this solo contributes a large part to it. Like the song, it isn't technical at all, but about mood first and formost, and it does a splendid job at that. It's also quite a long solo, even though it doesn't feel like that long within such a behemoth of a song, yet it is painstakingly developed with great care and with great attention to every detail. The final climb of the solo is one of the best musical climaxes that I know, and as a whole, these two minutes of guitar solo are definitely the highlight of this amazing song for me, everytime that I listen to it.
ahaha yes this solo is just fantastic, the entire section building up to it is just as good as the payoff. listened to this entire song again only recently, not a frequent spin but always a fantastic one.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: September 15, 2014, 05:07:46 AM »
3 terrific picks.  Love Elysium and that particular solo is by far my favourite too, it's really really well done and performed. 

Tornado of Souls is classic Marty and just a perfect, well constructed solo.

That Light of Day solo is one of my absolute favs.  I'm so proud that the cover I did on youtube has great comments from Bjorn and Kjetil both from the band.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2014, 05:40:52 AM »
That Light of Day solo is one of my absolute favs.  I'm so proud that the cover I did on youtube has great comments from Bjorn and Kjetil both from the band.

Awesome! Link?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2014, 05:44:43 AM »

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2014, 05:54:04 AM »
Great work man! Awesome cover.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2014, 06:10:12 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyPsLYQ63QQ

I've never ever heard that solo, that song or that band before, but wolf's cover has pretty much sold me on it.  That was stellar.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2014, 06:34:12 AM »
08. Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God [Roope Latvala]

Amon Amarth have some pretty amazing solos, but their best solo is, ironically, a guest solo by Roope Latvala of Stone/Children of Bodom fame. This song is the perfect combination of memorable melodies and shredding, creating something special while retaining the intensity throughout. In live versions, Johan changes this solo around a bit, but no-one plays it as amazingly as Latvala did on the studio recording, and it's a large part of why this track is one of my favourites by Amon Amarth, who have, despite their cheesy lyrics, quickly become one of my favourite melodeath bands ever. Especially amazing, in my opinion, on this track is the way that the solo ends and leads again into the final chorus, that's some awesome lead work right there.

07. Wintersun - Winter Madness [Jari Mäenpää]

Wintersun's debut sits comfortably amongst my Top 10 albums of all time, and this song is my favourite from it. Many songs on this album are amazing without any guitar solos at all - "Sleeping Stars" and "Starchild", just to name two, but here, the guitar solo is, without a doubt, the central focus of the song. It's melodic, it's shreddy, it's intense... everything that a guitar solo needs in such an aggressive and speedy song. And even though he has played some truly fantastic leads, on both the first two Ensiferum albums and the first two Wintersun albums, this is a guitar solo and a song that I cannot see Jari ever topping.

06. Judas Priest - Beyond the Realms of Death [Glenn Tipton]

Judas Priest have never really been one for ballads, and for a long time, this song was the closest that they had ever come to a ballad. It's a slow and moving song with an astounding vocal performance by Halford, but even that is overshadowed by the brilliance of Glenn Tipton's guitar solo. While Glenn is a player of astounding technique, the pacing and the note choices on this one are what make it stand high above his extensive catalogue of guitar solos. It's constructed perfectly, and similarly to Friedman's "Tornado of Souls" solo, with both starting slow and simple but building up and building up throughout all the solo, and while I like both songs a lot, this one is definitely the better song for me, as well as the better guitar solo. While Glenn Tipton later played such masterpiece solos like "Painkiller", "Prisoner of Your Eyes" or "Lochness", nothing compares to the brilliance of this solo that he wrote so early on in his career and performed impeccably. This is my favourite solo in all of classic heavy metal.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2014, 06:41:58 AM »
Judas Priest solo is awesome; that Green Carnation solo is beyond awesome.

Wow.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2014, 07:04:10 AM »
Of course, Tornado of Soulstem. I don't even like Megadeth that much, but that solo is monumental.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #85 on: September 15, 2014, 07:19:14 AM »
I've been listening to AA a lot few years back and that's cool solo. Also like Winter Madness and Jari's work in general :hefdaddy
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2014, 02:56:35 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2014, 03:04:21 PM »
10. Megadeth - Tornado of Souls [Marty Friedman]

Megadeth's recent output, one could argue, has been less than stellar, even though I liked tracks on both Th1rt3en and Super Collider, but it's not denying that back in 1990, with the release of Rust in Peace, Megadeth were one of the best metal bands in the world, and on that album, everything came together - especially in the dual guitar attack of the furious riffs of Dave Mustaine and the  amazing solos of Marty Friedman. What he does on this track is the best solo that he has, in my opinion, ever done in his lengthy career, and one that both he and Megadeth seem unlikely to top. The way that this solo builds up from a simple motif into complex shredding, yet always retaining a sense of melody and purpose at its core is unmatched in all thrash metal for me.

:tup probably my favourite solo by anyone

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2014, 03:36:15 PM »
That Green Carnation solo is out of this world!  :tup  :tup

I'm pretty sure the Beyond the Realms of Death solo would make my list too...if I were to make one!  :heart
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2014, 03:40:42 PM »

I'm pretty sure the Beyond the Realms of Death solo would make my list too...if I were to make one!  :heart

I seriously wouldn't know where to begin with making a Guitar Solo list.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: September 15, 2014, 03:42:20 PM »
Search your feelings, TAC.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #91 on: September 15, 2014, 03:46:42 PM »
Two I know would be UFO's Reasons Love and Alcatrazz's Jet To Jet.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #92 on: September 15, 2014, 03:50:52 PM »

And not you're 80's groin. :lol

Tim, Shock Me would be a start.  What about Empty Rooms Gary Moore?!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #93 on: September 15, 2014, 03:51:14 PM »

Jet to Jet is Yngwie, right? That's a good one, and nearly made my list.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #94 on: September 15, 2014, 03:57:28 PM »

Jet to Jet is Yngwie, right? That's a good one, and nearly made my list.
Yeah, it is. Gave me goosebumps when I was 14 and still does.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: September 15, 2014, 04:09:09 PM »
That Priest solo is my favorite!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #96 on: September 15, 2014, 04:11:50 PM »
Ry Cooder

There's a name I haven't heard in a long time.  Isn't that the guy that saw Ralph Macchio playing guitar in Crossroads and asked Ralph to teach him how to play?
Close, but not exactly.  He's the guy that actually played all of parts that Ralph Macchio acted like he was playing in that film.

Arlen Roth taught Ralph how to fake guitar playing for the film. It is pretty convincing until it comes to bending notes. I've seen worse miming from guitar players!
Ry cooder will have a place in my top 20 I'm thinking.

It's been awhile since I've seen it, but from memory, I thought it all looked pretty good--up until the classical section where it was so obviously sped up that it looked ridiculous. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: September 15, 2014, 05:28:53 PM »
Great work man! Awesome cover.

I've never ever heard that solo, that song or that band before, but wolf's cover has pretty much sold me on it.  That was stellar.
Judas Priest solo is awesome; that Green Carnation solo is beyond awesome.

Wow.

Don't know the song but nice job! Good to see you in action.

Thanks guys.

That Amon Amarth solo is pretty killer.  That whole album actually is incredible.  You know, I wish Roope did leads in COB, I like him more than Alexi.

Wintersun is good, Jani is great but wouldn't be one of my favs.

That Tipton solo would make my top 3, it's just out of this world.

Fuckin' Jet to Jet is incredible, love it.

And not you're 80's groin. :lol

Tim, Shock Me would be a start.  What about Empty Rooms Gary Moore?!

Empty Rooms is solid, espeically the extended version and We Want Moore versions.  I think my fav solo from Gary would be the We Want Moore version of Don't Take Me For A Loser, simply stunning.

Offline Riitasointi

« Reply #98 on: September 16, 2014, 03:18:50 AM »

07. Wintersun - Winter Madness [Jari Mäenpää]

Wintersun's debut sits comfortably amongst my Top 10 albums of all time, and this song is my favourite from it. Many songs on this album are amazing without any guitar solos at all - "Sleeping Stars" and "Starchild", just to name two, but here, the guitar solo is, without a doubt, the central focus of the song. It's melodic, it's shreddy, it's intense... everything that a guitar solo needs in such an aggressive and speedy song. And even though he has played some truly fantastic leads, on both the first two Ensiferum albums and the first two Wintersun albums, this is a guitar solo and a song that I cannot see Jari ever topping.

Wow, didn't see this one coming! So glad you picked something from Jari, he's my favorite musician of all time. As a guitar player you cannot really top his sense of melody and his ridiculously clean sweep picking. Winter Madness is indeed one of his best solos, but I'd go as far as saying The Way of The Fire (coming on Time II, been played live many years now) has a solo that's even better than WM. Check it out if you haven't!  :tup

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2014, 04:05:27 AM »
Love me some Amon Amarth! Great picks Scorp!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #100 on: September 16, 2014, 04:55:23 AM »
Top 5!

05. Sigh - Amnesia [Shinichi Ishikawa]

Sigh are my favourite avant-garde metal band, and tracks like this one are the reason why. It just oozes that sexy film-noir feeling throughout, especially with the keys and the saxophone, and even though that would be enough for a great song, they throw in this monster of a guitar solo in the middle and all of a sudden, the song is elevated to awesome status. It's not the most technical of solos - Shinichi Ishikawa has a ton of shreddier solos, like on Hangman's Hymn, but this one is just perfect in terms of phrasing and note choices, and it blends beautifully with the rest of the music, and leads into a piano solo that is nearly its equal. While Sigh have often shown that they are very capable musicians, this solo, and really, all of this song, runs circles around the rest of their catalogue.

04. Flaming Row - Elinoire [Gary Wehrkamp]

Gary Wehrkamp has some pretty great solos in Shadow Gallery, but for me, nothing tops his contribution to what is one of my favourite releases of the last few years: Flaming Row's Elinoire, and this track is him at his best. Like the previous entry, he has a lot of solos that are faster and shreddier, but that's not the point here - "Elinoire" is an emotional, mid-tempo track and the solo fits that mood perfectly. There are few musical moments that are guaranteed to give me goosebumps on every listen, but especially the ending of this solo is certainly one of them.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 07:43:35 AM by Scorpion »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: September 16, 2014, 05:26:19 AM »
I really liked that Sigh.  Sounds like a band I should check out.

The Flaming Row is good too.  Gary is a really good guitarist.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: September 16, 2014, 07:38:48 AM »
That entire Sigh song is really cool! I like the solo--well chosen notes--but it's certainly the least avant garde element of the song and holds little surprises. I don't know, I like to be surprised more.

The Flaming Row solo is again very nice, and executed superbly but again, quite predictable. Like an excellent basketball move that is easily guarded against because one has experienced it so many times before.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #103 on: September 16, 2014, 09:23:19 AM »
Back to Gary Moore for a minute. Yes Empty Rooms is incredible. But other than that, my favorite Gary Moore performance is the studio version of Cold Hearted.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: September 16, 2014, 03:06:21 PM »
Back to Gary Moore for a minute. Yes Empty Rooms is incredible. But other than that, my favorite Gary Moore performance is the studio version of Cold Hearted.

Another terrific one.