Author Topic: Top 20 Guitar Solos - now up: ReaperKK (starting page 5)  (Read 14626 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Top 20 Guitar Solos - now up: ReaperKK (starting page 5)
« on: September 10, 2014, 03:29:18 AM »
I like a good guitar solo, and often that can be the climax of a great song. A good guitar solo won't save an atrocious song, but a great solo will sure as hell improve an already great song (if it fits, of course). I also like making lists.

Here we go! (only one solo per guitarist)

20. Rhapsody - Gargoyles, Angel of Darkness [Luca Turilli]

99% of Luca Turilli's solos are no-holds-barred shred. The one that is my favourite is one of the only exceptions, but man is it great. It's just based on a simple melody, and it's not overly long, but that melody is so great, and the way that Luca plays it makes me wish that he'd written a few more solos that involved this melodic, slower approach than flying over the fretboard at the speed of light (approximately). Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to get rid of them completely, 'cause Luca's an awesome shredder, but none of his shred solos go beyond great. This one does. This is one is amazing.

19. Beyond the Bridge - Where the Earth and Sky Meet [Peter Degenfeld-Schonburg]

Beyond the Bridge's The Old Man and the Spirit is one of my favourite progressive metal releases in the last five years, and a large reason for this is the fact that the band never seem to play fast to show off. Every moment on that album serves a purpose, and this guitar solo is a perfect example of that. Placed in the middle of a moving ballad, it's slow for the most part, until it explodes into a fast part just near the end that is just emotional and necessary as any other part of the solo, acting as a perfect release of emotion. While I love the whole album, the climax of this guitar solo has always been one of my absolute highlights, from the first listen on.

18. Pain of Salvation - Rope Ends [Daniel Gildenlöw/Johan Hallgren]

Technically, these are two solos, but it's my list, and they work so well together than I could never rank one over the other anyway. As it is, the whole instrumental section is beyond fantastic, but those two solos are truly the highlights of this song. I love the subtle shift in mood before the second solo, with the backing instrumentation going heavier, and the whole song switching from 4/4 to 15/16 in a way that feels completely natural. Like with the previous solo, there's some fast runs thrown in, but they are completely necessary for the development of the solo, not for showing off. While many Pain of Salvation songs feature a good or even great guitar solo, these two back-to-back guitar solos are the only ones that I'd call awesomely amazing.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 09:16:26 AM by Scorpion »
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Top 20 Guitar Solos
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 05:35:57 AM »
As a guitarist, looking forward to following this. 

I never really followed Luca, but damn that solo was a bit short IMO to really be rated in a top 20, but I can see why you would like it.

Beyond the Bridge never really did anything for me that that solo was always a nice highlight. 

I always really enjoyed Gildenlow's and Hallgren solos in POS.  You do have to love the more fusion elements that add into this song.  My fav solos from that album though are from Waking Every God.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 06:04:17 AM »
Following this :tup I listen only to PoS out of these three and I love their solos.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 06:28:22 AM »
I will follow also because I need new air guitar fodder!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Dream Team

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 07:08:36 AM »
Expecting to see Glenn Tipton, Adrian Smith, and John Petrucci somewhere along the way . . .

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 07:57:28 AM »
Number one better be by Petrucci.

Offline Riitasointi

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 02:19:15 PM »
Following this for sure! I'm a big guitar solo guy. I can see myself doing a similar list at some point.

I actually think Luca Turilli has some very interesting solos, my favorite one being on Unholy Warcry.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 02:32:12 PM »
Yeah, a few solos that I considered for Luca were Unholy Warcry, Lord of the Thunder and Ghosts of Forgotten Worlds, but in the end, this one won through.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 03:03:14 PM »
Following this, Hollow Years Live at Budokan by Petrucci anyone????

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 03:05:37 PM »
Following. The solo in Beyond the Realms of Death from Priest is my favorite and hopefully gets mentioned

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 03:14:10 PM »
Now this is a thread I can get behind! Could probably think about doing one myself when you're finished.

Luca is a big favourite of mine. Always air guitar worthy. Thought you would be a fan Kade? Dawn Of Veeektoooorrrrreeee is a great guitar album. Have to say for Luca that's hardly even a solo. It's nice but I'd take something with loads of arpeggios. I'm a sucker for sweep-picked arpeggios - have been since first hearing Yngwie.

Not familiar with the other two. I gave TOM&TS a  couple of listens and whilst it was ok it never really grabbed me by the throat like it obviously has for others who's taste I respect. Listening to the track now it's excellent. I could live without the voiceovers that pretty much always sound cheesy (Operation : Mindcrime apart). Going to have to give this album some more time as I seem to have misjudged it.
Anyway, nice solo. Good widdlywiddly to melody ratio. Plenty of feel. Nice and long without running out of ideas or outstaying its welcome.

Never been a big fan of PoS either. I have remedy Lane but couldn't tell you anything about it - nothing memorable about it. The riff to this track is everything I hate about prog metal - chugging on a chord in odd meters in place of an interesting riff. It picks up a bit in the verses but we're here for the solos... They were ok I guess but didn't do it for me.

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 03:27:43 PM »
Following this, Hollow Years Live at Budokan by Petrucci anyone????

That's a great one.  But if I was making a list myself and had to pick only one Petrucci solo, it would be the one from Lines in the Sand at Bucharest.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 03:28:52 PM »
Years Live at Budokan by Petrucci anyone????

I would hope he has better taste than that.  Yeah, it's a good solo, but no more than that.  And it is a good solo in such a bad song that that alone might be grounds for taking it out of contention even if it were a lot better than good.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 03:31:49 PM »
This might be a spoiler, but I shall not disappoint you, o Forum Overlord (wasn't going to anyway, so don't think that I'm ass-kissing).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 03:32:34 PM »

I would hope he has better taste than that.  Yeah, it's a good solo, but no more than that.  And it is a good solo in such a bad song that that alone might be grounds for taking it out of contention even if it were a lot better than good.

What? It's a great solo. You're right about it being a not so good song, but that solo alone takes it from a Bottom 15 to a Top 15 for me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2014, 03:35:06 PM »
This might be a spoiler, but I shall not disappoint you, o Forum Overlord (wasn't going to anyway, so don't think that I'm ass-kissing).

Either way.  People are free to like what they like, even if they are wrong.  :)

What? It's a great solo. You're right about it being a not so good song, but that solo alone takes it from a Bottom 15 to a Top 15 for me.

Well, okay, in the spirit of compromise, just because it is you, I will bump it to "very good."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 03:41:34 PM »
That live Hollow Years solo would hardly classify as one of the best solos ever.

Now this is a thread I can get behind! Could probably think about doing one myself when you're finished.

Thought you would be a fan Kade?

I've liked what I've heard of his guitar playing but Rhapsody were one that never really grabbed me enough to take real notice.  I think I have an album of his, I'll pull it out.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2014, 03:42:45 PM »
I am hoping one of my top 2 will be in there somewhere, but I expect that they won't be.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2014, 03:48:41 PM »

Well, okay, in the spirit of compromise, just because it is you, I will bump it to "very good."

:metal :metal

And so I will take this oppurtunity to say that Forever better be included here! ;)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2014, 04:02:08 PM »
Of the first three presented, Scorp, I must say I really liked both 18 and 19--neither of which I had heard before. Because of the unexpected note choices I would rank them in the order you did as well...although 18 is very tasteful.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2014, 04:05:04 PM »
Glad to expose some people to new stuff! My listening habits aren't exactly the most diverse, but there's definitely some surprises on this list (particularly #8).

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2014, 04:12:02 PM »
By the way, the link in the OP for the PoS solo is busted. Here's a nice new link.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2014, 04:15:29 PM »
Thank you! Edited.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2014, 04:20:31 PM »
Great Idea.   Going to listen to them now.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2014, 04:29:06 PM »
Scorp,

In all the time we've been conversing online, I'm only just now realizing you are; either a Deutschlander or are living in Deutschland. Does that mean we'll get a solo on this list from my favorite German guitarist? Have the odds gone up?

I think we should be told!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2014, 04:36:04 PM »
Yeah, I'm German.

As to whether your favourite German guitarist will be featured, don't you think that I am missing a crucial piece of information to be able to answer this question? :P

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2014, 04:38:24 PM »
We must be speaking of MICHAEL SCHENKER!! :metal

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2014, 04:47:46 PM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2014, 05:57:15 PM »

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2014, 05:59:26 PM »
Suuuub'd.  What a great thread idea. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2014, 06:19:24 PM »

Ugh, the song is fine.

I think my all time favorite guitar solo might be Under A Glass Moon.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2014, 06:34:39 PM »

Never been a big fan of PoS either. I have remedy Lane but couldn't tell you anything about it - nothing memorable about it. The riff to this track is everything I hate about prog metal - chugging on a chord in odd meters in place of an interesting riff. It picks up a bit in the verses but we're here for the solos... They were ok I guess but didn't do it for me.

Same - another band that I don't "get" in terms of their reputation.  I also have Remedy Lane and tbh the only track I gave top marks to was the instrumental.  Nothing brilliant but a real pleasant listen.

Following ..............I wouldn't even attempt it myself.  It'd take me some time to rank my 20 best guitarists , let alone specific solos.  One per artist makes it easier I suppose ...pick a fave from each of the top 20 players.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2014, 08:33:30 PM »
Yeah, I don't think I could do it either.  I'd like to give it a go though, but man this would be tough.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2014, 08:41:19 PM »
Intriguing idea, following....

(Steve Howe better make an appearance though)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2014, 01:12:02 AM »

We shall see. Maybe, maybe not.