Poll

Which album do you prefer?

A Dramatic Turn of Events
99 (55.3%)
Dream Theater
80 (44.7%)

Total Members Voted: 174

Author Topic: ADTOE vs DT12  (Read 14523 times)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: ADTOE vs DT12
« Reply #175 on: September 19, 2014, 02:45:27 PM »
For one thing, bands always talk up their new releases.  You can only take what they say (in promotion of a product, mind you) with a grain of salt.

Secondly, they never claimed this to be a "masterpiece" or "represent the band" as far as the history of the band.  Rather, it was to represent what these 5 guys are RIGHT NOW.

Also, I don't think they played it safe at all.  Nothing safe about a band who has made it's reputation doing extended length instrumental-laden prog rock compositions doing an album of more focused songwriting.  Whether you liked it or not is up to you, but it certainly wasn't safe, nor intended to be a masterpiece.

Yes, all you say there is true. I personally wasn't using the term masterpiece. Reading between the lines of the regular new album hype, to me, they were definitely looking to make a statement with this record.
I agree with that.  It just wasn't a historical statement.  It was a statement about now, and going forward.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #176 on: September 19, 2014, 02:49:27 PM »
I think there's one thing we can all agree on. I cannot wait for the third album of the Mangini era!  :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: September 19, 2014, 03:23:56 PM »
Definitely ADOTE.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #178 on: September 19, 2014, 04:34:54 PM »
I think there's one thing we can all agree on. I cannot wait for the third album of the Mangini era!  :metal
:metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #179 on: September 19, 2014, 04:44:36 PM »

I disagree. I think you CAN wait for the third album of the Mangini era. :lol

In all seriousness, though, I think, for me, they'll either play it super-safe for the next one, or really knock it out of the park with someone drastically different. Looking back at JLB's first three albums, we had IAW, Awake, and then FII, the first two of which are undeniable classics while the third has some gems, but the rest are OK. Then we move to JR's first three albums with the band, and SFAM and SDOIT are amazing albums while TOT has some good songs, but it's not Top 3 material for me, or many fans that I've seen. I wonder if we'll see a similar pattern with MM in that his third album with the band might not live up to his first two? Hopefully we'll know sometime in the next 12-18 months.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #180 on: September 19, 2014, 09:50:47 PM »
I know its been talked about like crazy but I think the next one will definitely be a concept album.  MP said they were talking about making the next one a concept album, JP said he really wants to do another concept album, and I would say a good 50% of the hardcore fanbase have expressed interest in another concept album. 

Soooooo....concept album.....

....and it will fucking kick ass. 

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #181 on: September 20, 2014, 01:03:29 AM »
JP said he really wants to do another concept album

He said something like "I'm sure we'll eventually do one somewhere down the line". I'd say don't read too much into that.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #182 on: September 20, 2014, 06:09:28 AM »
JP said he really wants to do another concept album

He said something like "I'm sure we'll eventually do one somewhere down the line". I'd say don't read too much into that.
Yeah, that's more along the lines of what I remember.  I don't remember him ever saying anything like "I really want to do another one."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #183 on: September 20, 2014, 07:12:02 AM »
I don't particularly associate concept album with goodness. It can work, but it can also devolve into a steaming pile of crap.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #184 on: September 20, 2014, 07:17:56 AM »
I don't particularly associate concept album with goodness. It can work, but it can also devolve into a steaming pile of crap.
Right, so personally, I hope they avoid that prog cliche again.  They did it once, they can check it off the list.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #185 on: September 20, 2014, 07:24:03 AM »
SFAM is a very good concept album, but I find it difficult to listen to individual songs , but can listen to straight thru and enjoy.  I would love to see them do a double cd with one cd experimental and the other straight forward.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.