Author Topic: How do Dream Theater React to Their Own Music?  (Read 2941 times)

Offline Rodni Demental

Re: How do Dream Theater React to Their Own Music?
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2014, 12:23:40 AM »
Like i would say they are their of the song due the recording process, but who knows?

what?

I think he just means they're obviously there for the recording process, but who knows what their reactions would be to the songs during the time after they've completed them.

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2014, 04:52:43 AM »
I read my own poems from time to time, just for the pleasure of doing it. I don't see why a musician shouldn't listen to his own music and be pleased by it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2014, 05:25:04 AM »
I remember JR saying one time that JP has the best musical memory he has ever encountered.  He said he remembers every song and every solo he has played.
Are you sure about this? I remember JP saying he watches himself on youtube to remember the songs.

JP watches himself on youTube to relearn songs?  :lol  Are you sure that's right?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2014, 07:44:21 AM »
I read my own poems from time to time, just for the pleasure of doing it. I don't see why a musician shouldn't listen to his own music and be pleased by it.

Well, I would think that a poem is something you write and add to your portfolio/collection. A musician could write a song and have to do a hundred takes in the studio, and then play it another hundred times in practice. They probably get sick of hearing it after a while.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2014, 07:59:39 AM »

Well, I would think that a poem is something you write and add to your portfolio/collection. A musician could write a song and have to do a hundred takes in the studio, and then play it another hundred times in practice. They probably get sick of hearing it after a while.
Not to mention talking about it in the press (if they are lucky enough to get press), and play it hundreds of times live (if they are lucky enough to tour). 

If that were me, the last thing I would pop in the CD player would be one of my albums.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2014, 10:12:29 AM »
Well, then you have people like me that just make a piece of music using a sheet music notation program.  :lol Just write it out over a few days, add dynamics and stuff and then be proud of your creation. It's a hobby for me. Eventually, when I have my high school orchestra, I'll rehearse it with them and THEN get sick of it, but I listen to my songs for fun all the time right now.  ;D
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin