Author Topic: How do Dream Theater React to Their Own Music?  (Read 2939 times)

Offline Sebiriver

How do Dream Theater React to Their Own Music?
« on: September 04, 2014, 04:42:40 PM »
Do they listen to their own music? Like i would say they are their of the song due the recording process, but who knows? Leave your thoughts or facts!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: How do Dream Theater React to Their Own Music?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 05:17:14 PM »
I don't think they would choose to put on one of their own albums for their own pleasure.  I don't think any artist would do that.  I think they only listen to their own work for critiquing purposes mainly.  Or if they need to re-learn something.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 06:18:44 PM »
I don't think they would choose to put on one of their own albums for their own pleasure.  I don't think any artist would do that.  I think they only listen to their own work for critiquing purposes mainly.  Or if they need to re-learn something.

Right but I don't doubt that there are times when they are feeling nostalgic and throw it on to reminisce. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 06:23:49 PM »
Every blue moon I'll put on the KrotchRaut stuff for the "holy shit we made this shit" (in a good way) nostalgia. Maybe it's the same for professionals, but probably more of what Wolfking said. They hear it constantly when playing it live, so they probably don't throw an album on too regularly.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 06:38:13 PM »
Before DT12 was released, Jordan posted a teasing photo of IT playing on his iPod. He seemed very pleased with it. I wish they had hacked the iCloud back then. :biggrin:

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 12:03:32 AM »
Before ADTOE was released I remember James saying he listened to the whole album on his iPod on a plane because of how proud they all were of it. But I think that's the only moment where the band listens to their own work for pleasure - right after completing it.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 12:48:21 AM »
Not DT (well, a different DT at least :p) but I remember Devin Townsend mentioning once that he enjoyed putting Ghost on as background music.

Mike Portnoy always called himself a "fan" of DT. I wouldn't be surprised if he went back to older albums when he was still in the band. Who knows, maybe he still does.

But they probably don't listen to their music the way fans do. Personally I think it'd be impossible to do that, since your perception of something you've created yourself is going to be vastly different to your perception of something made by someone else.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 02:57:29 AM »
They asked that question to Kevin Moore and Jim Matheos, and Matheos answered that usually he does not enjoy listening to Fates Warning. In his own words, "there's too much 'me' in there for me to enjoy it". Interestingly, he said it's different with OSI. Kevin slices and dices Jim's input so much that he no longer gets that feeling when he puts on an album.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 03:20:23 AM »
I always listen to my music... I don't see why anyone in DT wouldn't.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 04:10:18 AM »
I always listen to my music... I don't see why anyone in DT wouldn't.

Probably cos they don't know where to download it
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 07:05:18 AM »
They are professional musicians.  I would be surprised if they listened to their own material for pleasure listening like they would listen to anything else.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline 02T

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 07:18:39 AM »
I have one piece of mine that I've recorded that really effects me powerfully when it comes on shuffle, but I still don't think I actively say, "Yeah I'm going to listen to that."

I used to never understand when actors would say they can't watch their own films, but now I get it a little more. You're so close to the process, that it's hard to just watch (or listen) as an audience. It can be difficult to separate yourself from how it was done to just be able to enjoy the finished project.
bradbaileymusic.com
Facebook.com/BradBaileyGTR
Twitter @BradBaileyGTR

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 07:25:54 AM »
I watched a documentary with Paul McCarntey and there was some other guy playing a piano. Paul commented on how much he liked the song and asked if he wrote that. The guy responded that it was one of Paul's old songs  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 08:00:35 AM »
lol

"Hey, is that Dream Theater?"

"Yes."

"It is."
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 09:32:54 AM »
I listen to my own music all the time. It's pretty good. :biggrin:

I would say it gets difficult to enjoy it on a pure listening level though. I often find myself falling into the old trap of over-analysing and critiquing my personal performance.

Reckon if anyone listened to their own music, it would be Portnoy.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 10:34:42 AM »
I'd venture to guess they do listen to their own stuff, or else they probably wouldn't put it out for us to hear. :lol

As for how often, I can't say. If they can go back and listen to it and still feel pretty satisfied with the end result, then that's a personal job well done for them.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2014, 11:54:39 AM »
They are professional musicians.  I would be surprised if they listened to their own material for pleasure listening like they would listen to anything else.

Why would it be unprofessional to choose to listen to music that you made yourself?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2014, 12:01:21 PM »
It's not "unprofessional", it's just that as a professional musician you find yourself performing the same fucking songs day in, day out. Pretty sure DT has little desire to pop in some more DT music at the end of a day.

Online mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2014, 12:02:51 PM »
Apparently they did not listen to ADTOE or Dream Theater before the release.  Otherwise the sound would have been better.

The sound on FII, Scenes from a Memory and 6 degrees are so much better.  Just saying.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2014, 12:04:04 PM »
If anything, they only listen to their songs when they pull them out of the vault to play on tour.  I've read that with so many musicians interviews.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2014, 12:26:17 PM »
I wonder (but sadly nobody ever asks interesting interview questions), how JP relearns a solo he hasn't played in years. Does he have the separate guitar tracks to listen to? I doubt he transcribed them (and the books are usually pretty bad in terms of accuracy).

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2014, 12:27:25 PM »
I vaguely recall him saying he would Youtube videos from previous shows, or even other people covering the solo.

I probably couldn't find it now, though.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2014, 12:35:42 PM »
I wonder (but sadly nobody ever asks interesting interview questions), how JP relearns a solo he hasn't played in years. Does he have the separate guitar tracks to listen to? I doubt he transcribed them (and the books are usually pretty bad in terms of accuracy).

I think the combination of having written the song, having played the song probably many times before despite the time since last playing it, and simply knowing his own playing style, it's probably not too hard for him. He'd know what patterns and shapes he used, and at worst would know it all well enough to "flub" the faster parts in his own style seamlessly enough for most not to notice.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2014, 12:38:03 PM »
I don't think they would choose to put on one of their own albums for their own pleasure.  I don't think any artist would do that.

I do this all the time  :lol
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2014, 12:53:52 PM »
It's not "unprofessional", it's just that as a professional musician you find yourself performing the same fucking songs day in, day out. Pretty sure DT has little desire to pop in some more DT music at the end of a day.

Actually, that makes a lot of sense. I feel a little dumb for misinterpreting the post.

Still, if they wanted to listen to their own music, there would be nothing stopping them.

Offline 02T

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2014, 01:39:54 PM »

Rabbit trail: the tab books since Octavarium have been excellent. Jordan Baker and Ryan Maziarz have done a fantastic job on them, plus JP has given them access to the source recordings, I believe.
bradbaileymusic.com
Facebook.com/BradBaileyGTR
Twitter @BradBaileyGTR

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2014, 03:49:25 PM »
When I spoke to Jordan Rudess after ADTOE was released he said that the album was the first one in a while he could just put on and enjoy.  So at the very least they probably listen to it a few times after it is finished. 

Offline Mosh

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2014, 07:48:06 PM »

Rabbit trail: the tab books since Octavarium have been excellent. Jordan Baker and Ryan Maziarz have done a fantastic job on them, plus JP has given them access to the source recordings, I believe.
They're approved by JP too. Those books are really great, I've found very few mistakes.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline Xenon

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2014, 08:28:51 PM »
I never listen to my own music, only when I'm doing it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2014, 08:31:30 PM »
I remember JR saying one time that JP has the best musical memory he has ever encountered.  He said he remembers every song and every solo he has played.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2014, 08:37:42 PM »
Not surprised. The amount of music that guy has to remember is insane. Especially back when they were rotating setlists.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2014, 08:54:45 PM »
I remember JR saying one time that JP has the best musical memory he has ever encountered.  He said he remembers every song and every solo he has played.
Are you sure about this? I remember JP saying he watches himself on youtube to remember the songs.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2014, 06:14:09 AM »
Are you sure about this? I remember JP saying he watches himself on youtube to remember the songs.
I am sure that JR said it.  Of course, he could have been exaggerating or over-estimating.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2014, 10:56:23 AM »
I don't think they would choose to put on one of their own albums for their own pleasure.  I don't think any artist would do that.

I do this all the time  :lol

Exactly. I love listening to my own music. Despite what I may think of myself as a person - I enjoy my own music.

I think it's because I make the kind of music that I want to hear.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2014, 10:06:52 PM »
Like i would say they are their of the song due the recording process, but who knows?

what?