Author Topic: Totally 80s  (Read 11053 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Totally 80s
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2014, 08:42:26 AM »
The first thing that popped in my head was The Cars, then Pat Benatar, and then this....
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2014, 08:57:29 AM »
And of course, the 80s gave us this gem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Boom!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2014, 09:26:47 AM »
And of course, the 80s gave us this gem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Boom!

88 million views for that hunk of junk

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2014, 10:54:38 AM »
For those saying they don't like Midnight Oil, try this album.  "Earth and Sun and Moon". 
No thanks, king.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2014, 11:55:11 AM »
For those saying they don't like Midnight Oil, try this album.  "Earth and Sun and Moon". 
No thanks, king.

You fail me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2014, 11:56:19 AM »
I'm with hef.  I've heard more than enough Midnight Oil, thanks to my brother back in the late 80s, to know that I'm not a fan.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2014, 11:57:50 AM »
Oh I get their early stuff is waaaaaay Aussie like INXS was early on but their later albums were not.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2014, 05:39:51 AM »
Speaking of 80's.   I saw TOTO last night.

I l: https://youtu.be/dereablwKoM

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2014, 10:35:52 AM »
Nice.  Africa was one of my favorite songs when I first got into music around 1982, and to this day remains one of my favorite songs. :coolio

Also, on Totally 80s the other day, they played a Bangles video I do not remember seeing, although it's possible I did and it make no impact on me back then.  Fairly enjoyable song, even if the video is a bit odd. :lol  Then again, I could watch it for hours just to look at Susanna Hoffs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj7OJeyhq2Q

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2014, 11:15:09 AM »
I'll probably be laughed at but I absolutely loved Wham back in the days and I still like George Michael a lot. I absolutely love his voice and singing. The Faith album is wonderful (even if I have a tendency to prefer The 1991 Listen without Prejudice album). Saw a live version of Praying for Time and it was astounding.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2014, 12:00:39 PM »
Oops. Wrong thread lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2014, 04:17:23 PM »
Nice.  Africa was one of my favorite songs when I first got into music around 1982, and to this day remains one of my favorite songs. :coolio

Also, on Totally 80s the other day, they played a Bangles video I do not remember seeing, although it's possible I did and it make no impact on me back then.  Fairly enjoyable song, even if the video is a bit odd. :lol  Then again, I could watch it for hours just to look at Susanna Hoffs.

Must be an older video.

Leonard Nimoy?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2014, 04:48:59 PM »
Damn, I have never seen that video!

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2014, 09:00:15 PM »
I'm all over this thread.

Love me some Tears for Fears https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZyGDiUnta4 ooooohhh

Speaking of 80's.   I saw TOTO last night.

I l: https://youtu.be/dereablwKoM

Your post reminded me of this Lukather gem (although its from the early 90s): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHeOAQZsnFA

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2014, 06:56:09 AM »
Whenever I think of the 80s, I think of The Cure.

Definitely, them and The Smiths for me.
I would say Depeche Mode and Pet Shop Boys too but my favorite albums by these two fantastic groups are from the 90's.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2014, 07:30:11 AM »

Must be an older video.

Leonard Nimoy?

Haha, looks like it.  I am not a Star Trek fan, but even I recognized him.

Damn, I have never seen that video!

It really makes me wonder if MTV played that at all back in the day.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2014, 08:59:49 AM »
Yeah, that is an odd video.  I have no recollection of it either.  And before they showed the driver's full face, I thought it might be a younger Ian McKellan.  Kinda looks like it when they are just showing part of his face.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: September 08, 2014, 11:03:20 AM »
Hero Takes The Fall was the first video I remember from the Bangles that I remember.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 04:30:08 PM by kingshmegland »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #88 on: September 08, 2014, 12:32:33 PM »
A little research shows that the song was originally done by Katrina & The Waves.  The Bangles cover was the second single from their major label debut, All Over The Place, and failed to chart in the U.S., and peaked at # 79 in the UK.  The Bangles then hit big with their next album, Different Light.

Little known fact: all three of the band's big hits from Different Light (Manic Monday, Walk Like An Egyptian, If She Knew What She Wants) were written by songwriters outside the band.

Littler known fact: my favorite track from The Bangles is their cover of Hazy Shade of Winter, which was a non-album track originally released on the soundtrack for the film Less Than Zero, which is a mediocre film at best.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #89 on: September 08, 2014, 12:56:50 PM »
Littler known fact: my favorite track from The Bangles is their cover of Hazy Shade of Winter, which was a non-album track originally released on the soundtrack for the film Less Than Zero, which is a mediocre film at best.

It is mine as well.  My band covers it and we usually use it as our set closer.  It tends to get great reaction, even among folks who many not be familiar with it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #90 on: September 08, 2014, 12:58:54 PM »

It is mine as well.  My band covers it and we usually use it as our set closer.  It tends to get great reaction, even among folks who many not be familiar with it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: September 08, 2014, 04:30:58 PM »
I'm guessing everybody knows who wrote Manic Monday.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #93 on: September 08, 2014, 04:40:06 PM »

I forget.  Was it Prince?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #94 on: September 08, 2014, 04:41:06 PM »
And let's not forget the popular theory as to why he gave that song to them (that lucky sod).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: September 08, 2014, 04:42:38 PM »

I forget.  Was it Prince?

Yes

And let's not forget the popular theory as to why he gave that song to them (that lucky sod).

Amen.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #96 on: September 08, 2014, 04:43:28 PM »
I can't remember whether I actually knew that and forgot, or if it was just an educated guess.  I definitely do not remember there being a popular theory about why, but I can guess.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #97 on: September 09, 2014, 09:40:40 AM »

Hmph.  Short-haired Susanna Hoffs looks a lot like Christy Canyon here.  :tup

Also, here is the Apollonia 6 demo of Manic Monday, if you're a glutton for punishment.  I can guarantee you, Prince did NOT cast her in Purple Rain for her talent (though she wasn't the original choice anyway).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8da5Ls7RZWQ

Seriously, don't listen to it.  Also, it features plenty of very scantily clad pics of A6, so consider it NSFW, depending on your work.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #98 on: September 09, 2014, 09:51:11 AM »
Hey, I made it 30 seconds.  Do I get a prize?

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #99 on: September 09, 2014, 09:51:39 AM »
The prize is the silence after turning it off.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #100 on: September 09, 2014, 10:03:35 AM »
That wasn't completely awful, but I doubt I'll ever listen to it again.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #101 on: September 09, 2014, 10:49:42 AM »
You guys are silly.  Videos are for watching, not listening to.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #102 on: September 09, 2014, 11:13:01 AM »
The prize is the silence after turning it off.
:tup

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: September 09, 2014, 11:21:46 AM »
Well, if you mute the music we all can sit through a Su Su, Samantha Fox video.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #104 on: September 09, 2014, 12:16:38 PM »
Exactly.  In the 80's, we spent hours watching MTV to find songs we could cover because these were the "hot" songs.  Then we'd turn the sound on the TV all the way down (no Mute button in those days) and crank some real tunes and watch the videos for the babes but also for tips on stage presence and lighting and stuff.