Author Topic: Totally 80s  (Read 11134 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Totally 80s
« Reply #105 on: September 09, 2014, 01:28:46 PM »
It was better than watching Cinemax scrambled.

Admit it.  We all did it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #106 on: September 09, 2014, 01:30:15 PM »
Skinemax :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #107 on: September 09, 2014, 02:09:44 PM »

Yep.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: September 09, 2014, 04:08:44 PM »

Offline PetFish

« Reply #109 on: September 09, 2014, 07:52:15 PM »
Goldbergs did it!  Goldbergs did it!

Ah, the time before the Internet when you really had to work your ass off to maybe see boobs.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: September 09, 2014, 08:06:37 PM »
Ah, the time before the Internet when you really had to work your ass off to maybe see boobs.

:lol  This is so true!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #111 on: September 09, 2014, 10:00:57 PM »
Except if you had that ONE friend whose parents had the 8-foot satellite dish in the backyard.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: September 10, 2014, 06:28:44 AM »
Except if you had that ONE friend whose parents had the 8-foot satellite dish in the backyard.

Did you cross streams?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #113 on: September 10, 2014, 06:53:01 AM »
I did, in fact, have that ONE friend.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #114 on: September 15, 2014, 07:11:43 AM »
80s Thread? OK, I'm following.

I was born in 1970, so I spent all my teenage years in the 80s and therefore have a natural interest in (almost) everything 80s and I still like a lot of bands/artists from that time.

Regarding Livin' On A Prayer in a cover band: in my now long abandoned cover band we also played this tune. We had a female singer with a very powerful voice and she nailed the ending every time, but you could see it was very hard for her.

I'm actually a bit on a nostalgia trip in the past months, listening to a lot of music from my youth like Nik Kershaw, Level 42 (are they known outside europe?), Rick Springfield, Mike Oldfield, Bruce Hornsby, Police & Sting, Huey Lewis, Richard Marx.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #115 on: September 15, 2014, 10:35:03 AM »
I was born in 1970, so I spent all my teenage years in the 80s and therefore have a natural interest in (almost) everything 80s and I still like a lot of bands/artists from that time.

Same here.  And being born in the first year of a decade makes it easy to figure out how old I am when memory starts failing and I forget.  :lol

Regarding Livin' On A Prayer in a cover band: in my now long abandoned cover band we also played this tune. We had a female singer with a very powerful voice and she nailed the ending every time, but you could see it was very hard for her.

We actually decided to drop it.  Or, more accurately, the rest of the band decided to drop it.  I am kinda bummed, actually.  I think it came off really well.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: September 15, 2014, 10:51:05 AM »
Level 42 fan here from the USA.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #117 on: September 15, 2014, 11:38:09 AM »
We tried "Livin' on a Prayer" too.  I had the keyboards down, our one guitarist had the talkbox down, it sounded sweet.  Until the end when it goes up a step and a half, no one could do the high harmony.  She couldn't hit it; I have a pretty good falsetto and at least the note would've been there, but I couldn't hit it, either.  So we had to drop it.  It's one of those songs where you have to do that part, you have to do the insane killer ending, because if you don't, then everyone knows why, and it doesn't matter how great the rest of the song sounded, you suck for not doing the ending.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #118 on: September 15, 2014, 12:08:36 PM »
That really is a crazy part.

I could probably do it, if it was the first song of a set. 

Maybe. I don't know.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #119 on: September 15, 2014, 12:57:02 PM »
That leads to the obvious question: can Jon Bon Jovi still do that high part?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #120 on: September 15, 2014, 01:07:54 PM »
That leads to the obvious question: can Jon Bon Jovi still do that high part?

This is all hearsay, but I have heard from several people that he has never been able to replicate it live.  But let's put in context what we are talking about to make sure we are talking about the same thing as well.  As far as the live version of the song goes, here is who is singing what:
red = Jon
blue = band/Ritchie

So, live, the last chorus after it modulates up goes:
Whoa!
We're halfway there!
Whoa-oh!
Livin' on a prayer!
Take my hand; we'll make it I swear.

Whoa-oh!
Livin' on a prayer!

Jon has to drop out on the "whoa" parts, even though he doesn't on the album.  There just isn't enough room to breathe and sing the entire thing.  He even does that on the lower choruses before the solo.  That is understandable, and I assume we all acknowledge that. 

But in terms of whether he actually goes for the notes, he doesn't try.  And if what I have heard is correct, he never really has.  The first time through, from versions I have heard, including the One Wild Night album, he goes for the notes on "we're halfway there," and sometimes tries on the rest of his parts (other times, he either drops down, just speaks the lines, or makes the audience sing).  The second time through, he just drops down and ad libs a bit and/or makes the audience sing.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 01:14:39 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #121 on: September 15, 2014, 01:10:39 PM »

Or, you know, you had the cable package that had Cinemax included in it.

The Playboy channel? Yeah, trying to watch that scrambled was my thing.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: September 15, 2014, 01:13:34 PM »

Or, you know, you had the cable package that had Cinemax included in it.

The Playboy channel? Yeah, trying to watch that scrambled was my thing.  :lol

That was a little later for me as well. :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #123 on: September 16, 2014, 12:22:08 AM »
This is all hearsay, but I have heard from several people that he has never been able to replicate it live.  But let's put in context what we are talking about to make sure we are talking about the same thing as well.  As far as the live version of the song goes, here is who is singing what:
red = Jon
blue = band/Ritchie

So, live, the last chorus after it modulates up goes:
Whoa!
We're halfway there!
Whoa-oh!
Livin' on a prayer!
Take my hand; we'll make it I swear.

Whoa-oh!
Livin' on a prayer!

Jon has to drop out on the "whoa" parts, even though he doesn't on the album.  There just isn't enough room to breathe and sing the entire thing.  He even does that on the lower choruses before the solo.  That is understandable, and I assume we all acknowledge that. 

But in terms of whether he actually goes for the notes, he doesn't try.  And if what I have heard is correct, he never really has.  The first time through, from versions I have heard, including the One Wild Night album, he goes for the notes on "we're halfway there," and sometimes tries on the rest of his parts (other times, he either drops down, just speaks the lines, or makes the audience sing).  The second time through, he just drops down and ad libs a bit and/or makes the audience sing.

Our singer used to sing all the lines before and after the modulation, even the "whoa" parts, and as I said she nailed it every time. She was just freakin' amazing and I never understood why she stuck with us in an amateur cover band (but sure was glad that she did). I think with a little more effort and ambition she could have made it big time. She certainly had the voice and the looks too.

I don't know if JBJ did it live, but as Orbert said, if you cover that song you have to go there. If you drop it down after the modulation everybody thinks "they can't sing it" and that is what is remembered, not the performance of the rest of the song.

Same here.  And being born in the first year of a decade makes it easy to figure out how old I am when memory starts failing and I forget.  :lol

No kidding. My wife was born in 79 and I always have a hard time figuring out how old she gets on her next birthday.  :blush With 1970 the math is so much easier.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #124 on: September 16, 2014, 12:33:14 AM »
Level 42 fan here from the USA.

I think we could be the only ones, at least considering that this is a prog/metal board. I've made the experience that they are not that popular with metalheads.

Personally I think the funkier stuff from the beginning up to World Machine is way better than the pop stuff that came after. Standing In The Light or True Colours would be my favorites. The more success they had, the less I liked them.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #125 on: September 19, 2014, 11:15:28 AM »
Littler known fact: my favorite track from The Bangles is their cover of Hazy Shade of Winter, which was a non-album track originally released on the soundtrack for the film Less Than Zero, which is a mediocre film at best.

It is mine as well.  My band covers it and we usually use it as our set closer.  It tends to get great reaction, even among folks who many not be familiar with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGVNz_KXkSw&feature=youtu.be

Not too bad for a bunch of weekend garage warriors, right?  (although I don't know where the guys disappeared to for the vocal harmonies :lol)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #126 on: September 19, 2014, 11:38:51 AM »
 :facepalm:  Youtube is blocked here at work.  I will check it out soon!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #127 on: September 19, 2014, 12:40:44 PM »

Not too bad for a bunch of weekend garage warriors, right?  (although I don't know where the guys disappeared to for the vocal harmonies :lol)

Time for the "Hottest Bosk gif " thread!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: September 19, 2014, 01:23:10 PM »
Middle aged bands always have the best equipment! Check out those guitars!

:jawdrop:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #129 on: September 19, 2014, 01:24:49 PM »
Middle aged bands always have the best equipment! Check out those guitars!

:jawdrop:

:lol  Well, yeah, because we've been around long enough that we can afford stuff.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: September 19, 2014, 01:27:21 PM »
That was great, bosk! :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #131 on: September 19, 2014, 01:55:30 PM »
Thanks.  I know it isn't perfect, but it's a tricky song to pick out which notes to sing.  Even in the original, it is difficult to pick out which are the "lead" notes and which are the harmonies.  The harmonies the Bangles do are even more confusing to me. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: September 19, 2014, 09:32:13 PM »
Bosk1................ :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #133 on: September 20, 2014, 09:37:45 AM »
Nice.  But I think your band doesn't have enough guitar players. ;)  :biggrin:

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #134 on: September 20, 2014, 09:43:14 AM »

Bosk, those jeans are a crime against humanity  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #135 on: September 20, 2014, 09:45:40 AM »

Bosk, those jeans are a crime against humanity  :lol

Didn't even notice the jeans. I couldn't get past that vest!

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #136 on: September 20, 2014, 10:15:52 AM »

That was brilliant!  Your voice reminds me of Geddy... I dunno don't call me out on that I don't even like Rush all that much :lol

RE: Living On Prayer.  We do it in our covers band, but we medley it with something else, just before the modulation.  Like, "You live for that fight blah blah ALL THAT YOU'VE GOT" then instead of everyone hitting the modulation, the drummer just does an 8th note stomp on the kick and we start the vocals for You Give Love a Bad Name.  Its the Bon Jovi super medley and I want to uppercut myself just thinking about it. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 07:41:57 PM by sneakyblueberry »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #137 on: September 20, 2014, 02:03:20 PM »
Wow.  I usually hate medleys, which is why it didn't even occur to me (or apparently anyone else in my band) to cover the modulation by jumping to a different song at that point.  I know some people don't mind them, and in the case of a cover band, it can be kinda cool if you do it well.  In this case, you've played most of the song, and if the jump is done well (it has to be done well), then you can probably get away with it.  People don't think you suck for not doing the ending (even though you secretly still do) if they're distracted by "Oh hey, this song!"

Offline PetFish

« Reply #138 on: September 20, 2014, 02:35:13 PM »
Didn't even notice the jeans. I couldn't get past that vest!

At least it's not denim and he's not smoothing it.  Great cover, though.  Nice!

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #139 on: September 20, 2014, 07:49:58 PM »
Wow.  I usually hate medleys, which is why it didn't even occur to me (or apparently anyone else in my band) to cover the modulation by jumping to a different song at that point.  I know some people don't mind them, and in the case of a cover band, it can be kinda cool if you do it well.  In this case, you've played most of the song, and if the jump is done well (it has to be done well), then you can probably get away with it.  People don't think you suck for not doing the ending (even though you secretly still do) if they're distracted by "Oh hey, this song!"

Definitely! We do a couple medleys.  I'd recommend it personally, its a great way to keep things moving, and keep people dancing without having to stop and start another song, which can kill the vibe sometimes.  I think ever since we started we've done a dance megamix (LOL) of I've Gotta Feeling (Black Eyed Peas, ugh)/Moves Like Jagger (Maroon 5, ugh)/Long Train Running, all those songs pretty much start with a single guitar, so its easy to transition into them, and it works really well, even though I hate the first two songs haha.  But crowds dig it, and we have a busy gig schedule so I guess we are doing something right. 

Its also super fun trying to think up medleys, when you're playing a song and think 'hey, so-and-so other song is in the same key and same(ish) tempo, we should medley them'.  I love playing the music nerd and thinking those things up.