Author Topic: Totally 80s  (Read 11133 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Totally 80s
« on: September 04, 2014, 12:22:17 AM »
Because I love the 80s, and because I miss the MTV in the 80s Song of the Day thread, I thought I'd start a new thread where we can discuss anything related to 80s music videos. 

I still DVR the show Totally 80s whenever it's on VH1 Classic, and usually a few times a month, I'll flip through the many episodes merely to see what videos they played, and it's interesting because ideally you would think they would play videos that were played a lot in the 80s, which they do in some cases, but in other cases, they ignore certain bands and genres that got played a ton back then.

-Hair metal as a whole isn't played much at all, at least not when you consider how much it was played on MTV in the latter 80s.
-Stryper is NEVER played, even though MTV played the snot out of them in 1987 and 1988. 
-Same goes for Europe, who were also played to death from 1986-1989.
-LL Cool J's Going Back to Cali is played all the time, and I don't remember it being played that much back in the day.
-Talking Heads are rarely played.  Burning Down the House was played it seemed like every hour for months back in '83, yet you never see it on Totally 80s.
-Michael Jackson surprisingly isn't played that much, even though he all but owned the 80s.

Anyway, this is the new 80s thread. :hat

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Totally 80s
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 01:09:35 AM »
Following.  I gotta say the one video that really stands out to me from the 80s is Aha "take on me".  Obviously I dont like the song, but that video is outstanding.  Better then anything being released today.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 01:33:13 AM »
Anything that generates more discussion on the sort of stuff that was in my Top 50 , I'll be in it with bells on.  I have a hard drive full of 80's rock vids somewhere and a few years back it was something of a treasure but now with the way Youtube's gone , it's mostly nothing special I suppose.  Just about everything is out there somewhere.

We got almost zilch in Australia in terms of rock/metal video too, even back in the day.

I don't want to derail Kev's thread but I had an idea the other day for a new thread in a similar vein -  a thread where people could post pics of rarities they have from the days of classic rock ( memorabilia, mag covers, posters, rare albums , photos  etc....) but in the end I decided against it as I felt it would probably die a quick death or I might end up chatting to myself.   In terms of memorabilia I could keep it going for years just with Van Halen stuff - same with magazine covers.

Anyway ..........if anyone has any thoughts on that idea (good/bad/idiotic) then please comment/PM me - if the silence is deafening I'll know I'm on to a dud. Anything that gets us talking about classic rock and metal is good in my book.

BTW the idea came to me the other day when I was going through a cupboard and found on old dish for nibblies etc.........it was a promo job for DLR's Eat Em And Smile  ;D   
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 07:06:42 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 01:58:12 AM »
As a kid, I used to get up early every Sunday to watch an Australian clip show called Rage. I think it started at midnight, but I'd get up at five or six in the morning and watch it through to its completion at midday. I started doing this pretty early I think, around three or four, probably up until I was eleven or twelve (around 1996). I was born in 84, so I grew up wth all of these 80's and 90's songs and clips.

Anyway, I was obsessed with this song around the time it came out and watched it pretty much every week for a while (until they stopped showing it, probably). It's not that great of a video really, but it is very 80's. :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 02:07:12 AM »
FYC - yikes  ;D    I mentioned Rage in my Top 50 ...........recording the rock/metal hour or two at 2am ( on VHS  :-\  ) was what got me into Van Halen , Ozzy and metal in general.  That'd be mid 80s so that makes me around 11 yo.    That was about the only time you'd see anything other than the Top 40 stuff on Aussie TV when I was growing up.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 03:09:57 AM »
FYC - yikes  ;D    I mentioned Rage in my Top 50 ...........recording the rock/metal hour or two at 2am ( on VHS  :-\  ) was what got me into Van Halen , Ozzy and metal in general.  That'd be mid 80s so that makes me around 11 yo.    That was about the only time you'd see anything other than the Top 40 stuff on Aussie TV when I was growing up.
Yeah I actually started taping it in my later years, in the early or mid 90's. I remember all the grunge they started to play around that time, and even things like Enter Sandman, and I didn't mind the eurodance stuff. But I pretty much had lost interest once they started with things like the Spice Girls and the Backstreet Boys. :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 05:22:17 AM »
-Talking Heads are rarely played.  Burning Down the House was played it seemed like every hour for months back in '83, yet you never see it on Totally 80s.

In the very early days of MTV, I think they played Once In A Lifetime every hour.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 05:57:22 AM »
Those 2 videos were played all the time.  Duran Duran's "Rio" was big and mid 80's Midnight Oil's "Beds Are Burning" got big airplay.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 05:58:28 AM »
Money For Nothing and Sledgehammer were played every hour.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 06:03:21 AM »
And we had to hear Alan Hunter show us that he was in Bowie's "Fashion" video every time he played it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 06:26:37 AM »
Whenever I think of the 80s, I think of The Cure.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 06:56:35 AM »
Smiths were big too.  I always dug Simple Minds and Big Country.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 07:03:23 AM »
U2

Dire Straits

REM

:metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 07:06:07 AM »
Sabrina  ;D

« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 09:04:19 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 07:06:35 AM »
Beastie Boys
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 07:08:58 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2014, 07:09:36 AM »
Remember, naughty girls need love, too. :P

And yeah, TAC, Once in a Lifetime was played to death.  I remember when we first got MTV, the videos that I remember seeing non-stop were Once in a Lifetime, Billie Jean, Greg Kihn Band's Jeopardy, Down Under, and Do You Really Want to Hurt Me?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2014, 07:15:31 AM »
Whenever I think of the 80s, I think of The Cure.

We don't come to you with our problems, do we?  :lol

Forget the name of the show, but there was a video show on at midnight or something on Fridays, playing the top 10 vids of the week.  I remember (in my later teenage years) going to "parties" (there was only a dozen or so, I never did like the huge house parties), getting stoned out of my mind, and endlessly watching Kickstart My Heart, I Remember You, Love Song etc... Those vids in '89 were on all the time.

1984 (the album) got a ton of video airtime too.  My early 80s memories were Karma Chameleon and shit like that.  Oh, and we can't forget Twisted Sister!  So many good music video memories.  DLR solo were the best.

As for Brent's suggestion, I don't have much memorabilia, so not much to contribute there.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2014, 07:20:14 AM »
There was a period in 1984 where We're Not Gonna Take It was played at 7:00 CT every single weeknight, so I tried my best to always have MTV on at that time so I could see it as much as possible (this was before we had a VCR :lol).  Oddly, that is another video that I never see on Totally 80s, which surprises me since Dee Snider is always on those specials VH1 does (like 100 best rock songs, etc.), so I would think they'd show his band's videos and whatnot as much as possible.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2014, 07:45:30 AM »
I distinctly remember Heart's videos from the 80s.   :biggrin:

And I had a Samantha Fox album on cassette.  Wasn't bad, actually.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2014, 07:48:19 AM »
I distinctly remember Heart's videos from the 80s.   :biggrin:

And I had a Samantha Fox album on cassette.  Wasn't bad, actually.

Heart yes!  Fox, only  for the eyes.  My ears bled. :lol

Offline T-ski

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2014, 08:24:57 AM »
Smiths were big too.  I always dug Simple Minds and Big Country.

Its a shame that Big Country will only be known for "In a Big Country".  They made some great albums.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2014, 09:25:57 AM »
Fellow child of the '80s reporting in!

My covers band does more '80s material than any other decade.  Some of the ones currently in our set rotation are:
Sharp Dressed Man
White Wedding
Boys of Summer
Living On A Prayer (we have typically had Wanted Dead Or Alive in the set instead, but are prepping for a gig where the core audience will be middle-aged women, so...)
Any Way You Want It
Where The Streets Have No Name
Hazy Shade Of Winter (yeah, I know it is technically not an '80s song, but we pretty much do the Bangles' '80s version of it)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2014, 09:27:36 AM »
-LL Cool J's Going Back to Cali is played all the time, and I don't remember it being played that much back in the day.

we must have been watching different versions of MTV.  I saw this video all the time.

I remember there was a time in late 1988 I would rush home after school to watch the end of the top 20 video countdown because the last three videos in some order were invariably Guns 'n Roses - Paradise City, Def Leppard - Armageddon It, and Bon Jovi - Born to Be My Baby.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2014, 09:30:33 AM »
I suppose.  I mean, I remember Going Back to Cali being played quite a bit, but not so much where it should be the video played the most on Totally 80s these days (which it seemingly is). 

Livin' on a Prayer and Pour Some Sugar On Me are two songs that are guaranteed to have girls flocking to the dance floor faster than the speed of light at any bar or club where the song is played or performed by a cover band.  Every single time.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2014, 09:51:46 AM »
Can I get some Whitesnake?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2014, 09:51:57 AM »
Livin' on a Prayer and Pour Some Sugar On Me are two songs that are guaranteed to have girls flocking to the dance floor faster than the speed of light at any bar or club where the song is played or performed by a cover band.  Every single time.

Yup.  We were close to including Pour Some Sugar On Me, but it got axed.  Living On A Prayer is tough to sing.  We had to opt to NOT modulate up on the last chorus like they do in the actual song.  I about pulled something trying to sing it that way the first time.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2014, 09:55:01 AM »
Hahaha, I can imagine.

Can I get some Whitesnake?

Oh, there you go again on your own.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2014, 09:57:38 AM »

Yup.  We were close to including Pour Some Sugar On Me, but it got axed.  Living On A Prayer is tough to sing.  We had to opt to NOT modulate up on the last chorus like they do in the actual song.  I about pulled something trying to sing it that way the first time.  :lol

Girls, Girls, Girls has the same effect.  It just has a way of bringing out the stripper that every woman secretly has lurking inside.

Oddly enough, I didn't fall in love with 80's music until the latter half of the 90's, after I'd missed all the good shit, and when the music at the time sucked in a major way.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2014, 09:59:18 AM »

:zydar:

JBJ doesn't bother to sing LOAP live so why should anyone else?  That's what the peeps are there for  :D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2014, 10:01:04 AM »
JBJ doesn't bother to sing LOAP live so why should anyone else?  That's what the peeps are there for  :D

Yeah, I plan on it being a major "audience participation" song.  :biggrin:  Problem is, most of us in cover bands don't play the big halls that Bon Jovi can play, so sometimes we simply do not have the option of making the "crowd" sing the chorus like he does.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2014, 10:02:48 AM »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2014, 10:09:24 AM »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2014, 10:56:43 AM »
...did someone say the 80s?  :rollin

Ahem.

Where I live was one of the first handful of markets to get MTV when it went live in the summer of 1981, which means that I got to see MTV in its embryonic days, before it became hip and cool and fashionable. And in those embryonic days, let me tell you, they played any music video they could get their hands on. New wave bands blew up as much because they had multiple videos to play as they did because they made music that interested people. Dire Straits made a full length video for all eight minutes of Tunnel of Love? We'll play it! Rod Stewart has music videos dating back three or four years? Playing it! You could sit down in front of your TV and see Juice Newton be followed by the Cars, Judas Priest (they made a video for Don't Go. REALLY.), Kim Carnes and live performances up the wazoo. If MTV played a concert by a band, it would get sliced up into separate videos (they got over 10 out of a REO Speedwagon concert) and played and played and played. Phil Collins waking my sister up with That Drum Fill from In The Air Tonight.

Early MTV was wild and freewheeling and had a massively distorting effect on the music industry. While early MTV did play the shit out of some acts that were breaking big-Billy Squier is one I am thinking of-and Duran Duran frankly was made by MTV, a lot of bands that got played massively on MTV were nowhere near as successful as you'd think when you'd look up their chart success. But that was later. At the time it came on, the notion of 24-7 rock and pop music television was not only massively novel, but for me perfectly timed: I turned 15 early in MTV's existence, and MTV was the soundtrack of my teen aged years. And as anyone who followed the other thread can attest, the soundtrack for my late teens and early 20s to boot.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2014, 11:09:07 AM »
Ahh................Billy Squier - he of the legenedary "moves".  So bad it's good :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR0j7sModCI

www.theguitardojo.com.au