Author Topic: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: Epilogue  (Read 85458 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: tragedy, hiatus, MFH & reunion
« Reply #805 on: November 27, 2014, 07:29:02 AM »
Tragedy struck.  Shortly after the end of the Test for Echo tour in the summer of '97, Neil Peart's daughter, Selena, died in a car accident. Unfathomably, Neil's wife, Jacqueline, died of cancer 10 months later, although Neil would later say she never recovered from the loss of their daughter and died of a broken heart.  Awful, just awful.  I was not on the 'net at the time, but word did seep out that Rush was taking an extended, and understandable, hiatus, and whether they would ever do anything new as a band again was completely unknown. The more time went on, the less likely it seemed that Rush would ever be Rush again.  While a bummer, you couldn't help but think how nightmarish that had to be for Neil to go through, and if he didn't want to be part of a rock band anymore, who could blame him?

At the turn of the century, Geddy Lee decided to make his first solo album, which was released near the end of 2000.  My Favorite Headache sounds very much Rush-lite, and you can really tell how much of a stamp Geddy has on the band's songwriting when you listen to this.  Sure, it's missing the playing of Neil and Alex, as well as Neil's lyrics, but structurally and melodically, it very much sounds like what the follow-up to Test for Echo could have been.  It's a nice record, with one good song after another.  If someone said there aren't many standouts on it, I wouldn't necessarily disagree, and this isn't an album I listen to a lot, but whenever I do, it's consistency is more than obvious.  It's a good, solid record.  When it comes to favorites, I am partial to "The Present Tense," "Slipping," "The Angels' Share" and the title track. I suspect many were disappointed that Geddy didn't step outside of his normal box and make a more daring record, instead of essentially writing a Rush record without Neil and Alex, but if those songs what were coming to him, why fight it? ;)

Then, in early 2001, after years of mourning and self-reflection, not to mention getting remarried in 2000. which he documented in his book, Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road, Neil Peart told his two longtime bandmates that he was ready to work again. Thrilled to be back together, the three set about making new music. I cannot remember exactly when word out got out that the band's hiatus was over and that they were working on new music, but I remember it being news that so many of us were overjoyed to get; it was like winning the musical lottery!  Rush was working on new music.  Rush was back.  Rush would be touring again.  After being spoiled by their constant work from 1974-1997, those four years off seemed like forever, and now they were back and you didn't know what was coming.  To say we were thankful we were getting new Rush anything would be an understatement.  The unknown was both exciting and intriguing.  When Rush would release their first album of the 21st century, what would it sound like?  Stay tuned... :biggrin:

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: tragedy, hiatus, MFH & reunion
« Reply #806 on: November 27, 2014, 08:17:22 AM »
Back on Different Stages after listening to it yesterday.

That Cygnus teaser right at the end was such a TEASE.  I remember one of the guys I went to the show with was SO pissed they didn't play it.  Didn't bother me, as at the time I didn't 'get' Cygnus X-1.  Years later though... thank god they gave it to us on Disc 3.

I missed the CP tour, so was this the first drum solo with triggered orchestra/big-band? 

My room-mate at the time bought it just before I did, and listened to it on the way home from work.  I remember him telling me how awesome it was, and that Closer to the Heart was amazing - even better than the version on A Show of Hands.  I responded "Better than A SHOW OF HANDS" - in the same manner of Eddie Murphy's line "Better than MacDonald's!!" from RAW.  It became a running joke for us.  (You probably had to be there).

The 2112 drop in key doesn't bother me at all.  When I think about it, I notice it, but I'm not discerning enough sonically for it to be an issue.  Bob, as a musician I can totally understand your position though and how it bugs the shit out of you.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #807 on: November 27, 2014, 08:51:02 AM »
Oh back then. I didn't know VT was coming out until I saw it in the record store. Those were the days...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #808 on: November 27, 2014, 09:03:48 AM »
No one should have to go through what Neil went through.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online The Letter M

« Reply #809 on: November 27, 2014, 09:50:47 AM »
Oh back then. I didn't know VT was coming out until I saw it in the record store. Those were the days...

I had a similar experience. I remember finding VT in Target one day not knowing the band had made a new album. I became a casual fan of Rush around 2000, then over the next two years, began to dive into them more and started loving their music (even though it took another year later for me to start buying all of their albums up to VT/RIR).

I had no idea what Neil had gone through until I read about it online after becoming a fan and realizing why they went on a long hiatus. I also bought Neil's book and read through it fairly quickly. I'm not usually a book reader, but that was a good read and Neil definitely captivated me with his story of loss, suffering, and healing. I read it at a time in my life where I was feeling very depressed and down and while my reasons were nowhere near what Neil had gone through, reading his healing travels helped me heal a bit on my own as well.

As for My Favorite Headache, like Lifeson's album, I don't listen to this very much anymore. As Kev said, it's got SOME of the Rush-sound that you'd expect from Geddy, but it does miss Alex's guitars and Neil's drums/lyrics. I've never really given it much of a chance of thought, but I'm not sure if that's because I didn't think much of the album overall or because I just enjoy REAL RUSH more that I don't go for those solo albums anymore.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #810 on: November 27, 2014, 12:07:11 PM »
Ahh, if only I discovered Rush a lot earlier before they announced they came back in 2001.  I would have been on my knees, kissing the floor, be all "Yes! Yes! Yes! They're Back!!!"  And so begins, personally, my favorite era of Rush which is the 2000s onwards.  Sure, there isn't as much new album material coming in at the rate in the earlier years, but I got into Rush due to what they had released in the 2000s.

Anywho, going to listen to My Favorite Headache and see how it is.

Edit: I didn't know Matt Cameron of Soundgarden and Pearl Jam plays drums in this album.

Edit x 2: Really like Working At Perfekt, Runaway Train, Slipping.  The album, so far, is pretty good. 

Edit x 3: I gave Test For Echo 7-7.5/10.  This is easily an 8.  I enjoyed it more than Test For Echo and I like Test For Echo a decent amount.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 01:15:59 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #811 on: November 27, 2014, 02:25:58 PM »
I like Geddy's solo album a lot.  Slipping, Still & Grace to Grace are my favorites.

Home On The Strange has Jeremy Taggart from Our Lady Peace on drums.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #812 on: November 27, 2014, 02:49:50 PM »
I haven't played MFH since the year it came out and don't have any desire to. Don't remember anything about it.

I understood when Neil stepped away from it all - who wouldn't? When I heard they were back playing and making an album I was excited.
I thought the lyrics would be very introspective and a great insight into loss.
When the album came I grabbed it in a most excited manner. The cover was gorgeous. I put the cd in and ... omg it was awful.
Geddy warbling like he was making the melodies up on the 1st read through. Noisy guitars with no memorable soloing. And noise.
Bloody awful.

I still don't know whether the lyrics were any good because it was so horrible to listen to I haven't bothered in ages.
Some people like it. They are wrong.

by far Rush's worst album.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #813 on: November 27, 2014, 04:50:56 PM »
I haven't played MFH since the year it came out and don't have any desire to. Don't remember anything about it.

I understood when Neil stepped away from it all - who wouldn't? When I heard they were back playing and making an album I was excited.
I thought the lyrics would be very introspective and a great insight into loss.
When the album came I grabbed it in a most excited manner. The cover was gorgeous. I put the cd in and ... omg it was awful.
Geddy warbling like he was making the melodies up on the 1st read through. Noisy guitars with no memorable soloing. And noise.
Bloody awful.

I still don't know whether the lyrics were any good because it was so horrible to listen to I haven't bothered in ages.
Some people like it. They are wrong.

by far Rush's worst album.

I used to think that too.  All the way up to the release of S&A.  Couldn't stand listening to it.  The remaster last year made it a good album.  I said in the Zeppelin discog thread that production can only enhance or detract so much from an album - that it's the writing and performance that matters.  Well, the production 1st time around made it about as bad as possible, and last year's made it about as good as possible.  Thus, the improvement is pretty vast.

Guess we're jumping ahead a little to the VT discussion.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #814 on: November 27, 2014, 04:58:36 PM »
I had no idea what Neil had gone through until I read about it online after becoming a fan and realizing why they went on a long hiatus. I also bought Neil's book and read through it fairly quickly. I'm not usually a book reader, but that was a good read and Neil definitely captivated me with his story of loss, suffering, and healing. I read it at a time in my life where I was feeling very depressed and down and while my reasons were nowhere near what Neil had gone through, reading his healing travels helped me heal a bit on my own as well.

Ghost Rider was a great read.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #815 on: November 27, 2014, 10:15:36 PM »
Let's keep the chatter on the featured disc at hand, please.  We'll have plenty of time to get to VT and the others.  :coolio

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #816 on: November 28, 2014, 01:47:38 AM »
I liked the songs I heard from MFH, which prompted me to order the album. I haven't received it yet, though.

I've read Ghost Rider and it's a great book, although very dark. It's amazing Neil got back into music after all he went through.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #817 on: November 28, 2014, 05:03:28 AM »
Let's keep the chatter on the featured disc at hand, please.  We'll have plenty of time to get to VT and the others.  :coolio

I've always been a man ahead of our time.  :zydar:

Offline Newmz

« Reply #818 on: November 28, 2014, 11:22:52 AM »
one could say he's... progressive.

(I'll stop now)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #819 on: November 28, 2014, 12:18:32 PM »
My problem with 2112 in a lower key is it loses a bit of the emotion. During the Oracle, and Discovery, and Soliloquy.  I love Geddys voice and melodies, I guess I got used to them since 2112 was my first Rush record when I decided to check out their records.

I got into them when I would hear Tom Sawyer, I believe when I was 6 or 7.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #820 on: November 28, 2014, 01:31:44 PM »

Ghost Rider was a great read.

Agreed. Loved it. NOw what I should have done and didn't think about it at the time, was google all the places he talks about. I wanted to be there seeing what he saw and sharing the Macallan with the man.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: Vapor Trails
« Reply #821 on: November 29, 2014, 07:41:03 AM »
Having not worked together in the studio in five years, Geddy, Alex and Neil found it a rough going at first when they got together to work on their 17th studio album early in 2001.  There was a lot of material that was thrown away, and it took them a bit of time to finally get enough material that they deemed worthy of being kept and put on a Rush album.  Instead of a couple months, like had become the norm, it took them 14 months to finish Vapor Trails.  Released in May 2002, I remember popping it in my CD player the minute I left Best Buy with it on release day and not knowing what to think.  I mean, it was not only Rush, but the first new Rush in six years!  But something about it sounded...off.  It sounded very loud and muddy, but I thought it was just me cranking it too loud at first or something, or trying too hard to get into it instantly, but the more I listened, the more I realized the band had released the worst-sounding album of their career.  It was simply too loud, the songs have no room to breathe, and it just sounded noisy.

Now, that is not meant to say that I didn't like quite a bit of it, regardless.  I most certainly did.  I was very fond of "Earthshine," "Freeze," "Nocturne" and the s-less title track at first, and those four songs have endured as my favorites from this record.  I also enjoyed "Ceiling Unlimited," "Ghost Rider," "The Stars Look Down" and "Secret Touch" at first, as well.  The rest I didn't dislike any of, but most of it just kind of seemed there, lost in the noise-fest.  Notable, too, is "One Little Victory," as I get why the band loved it, since it was like them pronouncing, "hey, just us working together again is like a little victory," but aside from that beastly intro, the song is not a very good one.  Some of the vocal melodies are just ugly, made worse by that effect they used on Geddy's voice.  What was also strange about this album: no real guitar solos.  Okay, there are a few times where he sort of does a solo, but most of the "solo sections" on this record ended up just being big jam sections, where the band basically just jammed together for a short bit, punctuated by even more noisiness, almost like the jamming was each one trying to out-loud the other. :lol :lol

For years, fans clamored for a remix or some kind of remaster that cleaned it up, so we could hear the songs breathe, and we finally got our wish in 2013, in two forms.  First, was a digital-only release of the original mix cleaned up; this, to me, while still have some flaws and problems with loudness, is the definitive version of this record.  Later that year, there came Vapor Trails Remixed, which is a completely new mix of the record.  While it sounds the best of all the versions, this new mix not only robbed many of the songs of their raw power, they did too many tweaks to bits there and bits there.  Plus, not only did they somehow make Neil's drum sound at times like they were recorded with the cheapest recording material possible, but many embellishments were done to Geddy's vocals that sound completely unnatural and just plain weird.  In short, the remix is a major trainwreck on multiple levels.  The digital only-release from earlier in 2013 is far better. 

Overall though, no matter which version you prefer the best, while it was awesome that Rush was back, this album definitely goes down as one of their least best ever.  It's not a bad album, but it's majorly flawed, and while there is plenty of raw aggression on it, it just wasn't channeled well enough to result in a great album.  It has its moments, and it really was an album they had to make, given that long hiatus they had just come back from, but it just doesn't hold up well as a whole.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #822 on: November 29, 2014, 07:46:00 AM »
It took a long time for Vapor Trails to click with me. The first couple times I heard it I thought it was awful. But then it clicked and now I really like it. Yeah, it has a strange sound to it. I can't believe this is the same band that recorded Permanent Waves more than 20 years earlier.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #823 on: November 29, 2014, 08:12:24 AM »
Like everyone else, I was psyched to get ahold of new Rush, so much so that I didn't wait and downloaded a leaked copy.  It sounded like shit.  Figures, I'd gotten a bad copy, so I found another from a different source.  It too sounded like shit.  Actually, it sounded exactly the same, which made me a bit suspicious.  But it was new Rush!

In the coming weeks, I found stuff online about how bad the record sounded, like it was redlined or overcompressed or something, and that fit with what I was hearing, so I realized that what I had was what there was.  After trying for a few weeks to ignore the horrible production and appreciate the underlying music, I gave up.

I can understand that the remix doesn't work for many, because they didn't just fix the sound but changed the songs, but since I'd never gotten to a point where I knew the original versions, the changes don't bother me.  I can actually listen to and enjoy the "new" album, finally.

"Where are the solos!?"  I don't know, but that's never bothered me.  Once again, Rush was doing something different, and this album just doesn't have a lot of soloing.  I'm fine with that.  I listen to some bands that don't feel the need to wank every song.

"The songs are boring!"  That's just like your opinion, man.  I like most of them, although as with pretty much any new music these days, I put the album on and play it in my car during my commute, so I don't know any titles.  Everything is album-oriented.  I like the album, but couldn't name a single song on it.  But overall, I like the power and the vibe.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #824 on: November 29, 2014, 08:14:18 AM »
I've only heard the remix so I can't comment on the sound quality of the original release, but musically this is a bottom 3 Rush album in my eyes. None of the songs are downright bad, but most of them just aren't too interesting or memorable - I guess the boys were just getting back into the groove after the hiatus. However, I like the album as a symbol of their return, and luckily Rush in Rio includes the best songs from it.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #825 on: November 29, 2014, 08:46:48 AM »
Well, as i said prematurely earlier, its Rush's worst album. Just awful really. How it took 14 months to come up with these tracks I don't know. SHame as I like the cover and I was so excited for new Rush.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #826 on: November 29, 2014, 09:38:55 AM »
A big step up from Test For Echo!

Ghost Rider and Ceiling Unlimited are some of the best songs they have done since the reunion! I can see why some people hate this album, but i like it. I also prefer it over a lot of their earlier material like: S/T, Caress of Steel, Hemispheres, Signals and Test For Echo.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #827 on: November 29, 2014, 09:49:38 AM »
HUGE step down from Test for Echo.     I like some of the songs, but they are just so "lost in the mud"....   Earthshine is the perfect example of a great riff that got buried in mud and horrific vocal overlays.   

There are some nice ideas, but it's mostly unlistenable. 

Ghost Rider and Freeze are awesome, and really stand out among the rest.   Peaceable Kingdom and And the Stars Look Down are also OK.   Can't really get into the rest no matter how hard I try. 

I still put this as being just a rat's hair better than Roll the Bones.   But it's Rush's 2nd worst album.

EDIT:   The remix is FAR better.  But I'm out of time at the moment.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #828 on: November 29, 2014, 09:53:50 AM »

Ghost Rider and Ceiling Unlimited are some of the best songs they have done since the reunion! I can see why some people hate this album, but i like it. I also prefer it over a lot of their earlier material like: S/T, Caress of Steel, Hemispheres, Signals and Test For Echo.
:omg:

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #829 on: November 29, 2014, 09:58:09 AM »

:omg:

:lol Yeah, i have never been a big fan of Hemispheres.

La Villa Strangiato is awesome!, but i rarely listen to the rest of Hemispheres.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #830 on: November 29, 2014, 10:24:29 AM »
I liked Vapor Trails.  I mean, granted, I never heard of the original version in full, and based on people's comments on it, I will not bother.  However, I heard the re-mixing of it, last year, I found it to be enjoyable.  My original thoughts on it were "if this remixed version sounded like this, I don't even want to hear what the original version sounds like."

My favorites of it were Earthshine, Ceilings Unlimited, Freeze, Ghost Rider, and Out of the Cradle.  It's a good album.  A bump up from Test For Echo, but not better than the next two albums.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #831 on: November 29, 2014, 11:50:10 AM »
The Stars Look Down is one I liked at first, but it grew off of me over time.  I like the cool guitar stuff in the chorus, but I don't know is going on during those verses. :lol :lol

I would love to hear a stripped down live version of How It Is. There's a lovely melody in there somewhere, but it got mostly crushed by the loudness. 

Online The Letter M

« Reply #832 on: November 29, 2014, 12:34:06 PM »
Being the band's newest album around the time I discovered them and became a fan, I grew to love this album...a lot. My original CD is so over-used and over-played that I thought about replacing it for years and years but held off in hopes that they'd eventually release a remaster or remix. Thankfully, my laziness and patience paid off and they released the remix last year, which I love just as much. The original, while loud, has an impact and a punch that I feel is a bit lacking in the remix. On the other hand, the remix does bring out some nice parts and the clarity allows for more intense and personal listening. The original is great for blasting in the car on long drives, but the remix is good for headphones and a good concentrated listen.

As for the songs themselves, my favorites have to be "Secret Touch", "Earthshine", "Freeze", "Vapor Trail", "How It Is" and "Ghost Rirder". Fortunately, three of those have been played live, but I have been wishing for years they'd break out any of the other three. Hearing "Freeze" with the rest of the 'Fear' series would be amazing, but I'm not sure if they'd ever play all four songs together.

I still love this album to this day, and actually every album since then as well. They've had a hit after hit for me since they came back together, so I'm excited to see if they'll do one more together for a 20th album and how great it'll be.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #833 on: November 29, 2014, 02:00:08 PM »
Decent album. Huge step up from Test For Echo and probably better than Roll the Bones. Still at the bottom end of their rankings for me, but it has some good songs. The remix helped a ton, making what was once an unlistenable album tolerable and actually quite enjoyable at times. I still don't enjoy the guitar sound but I think that's more on Alex, since I don't really like the guitar sound on Test for Echo either.

I think the biggest issue with this album is that it's way too long. If they trimmed the fat and narrowed it down to about 10 songs, it'd be a really good album. But with 14 songs and so much subpar material in there, it's really hard for me to to be motivated to listen to it. Is this Rush's longest album?

New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #834 on: November 29, 2014, 02:29:24 PM »
I think it is, although Clockwork Angels might be a tad longer.  Cannot remember.

In comparison to Test for Echo, at least this record, while not great, has a few really good songs and sounds like a band that was full of energy, unlike TFE, which sounds like a band running short on inspiration. 

Online The Letter M

« Reply #835 on: November 29, 2014, 02:35:07 PM »
But with 14 songs and so much subpar material in there, it's really hard for me to to be motivated to listen to it. Is this Rush's longest album?

14 songs? Did yours come with a bonus track? AFAIK, every version of Vapor Trails has only ever had 13 tracks (the same number of tracks S&A also has). I guess I would know that it's 13 songs because I've obsessively memorized the number of tracks on each album and could recite those numbers off the top of my head easily, especially since a LOT of them have 8 tracks.

And yes, at just over 67 minutes, this is their longest album ever, although their next two would also break 60 minutes. It also helped that two of the songs on VT broke the 6-minute mark, something that hadn't been done since POW (CP had one track that did, but "Animate" just barely so by 4 seconds). Their last three albums have all been over an hour long and at least 12 tracks each. A similar change happened when they broke 8 tracks after POW and went to 10 with HYF and exceeded 50 minutes. After that, from HYF to TFE, their albums all had 10+ tracks and were between 48-55 minutes long.

-Marc.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #836 on: November 29, 2014, 02:54:08 PM »
In comparison to Test for Echo, at least this record, while not great, has a few really good songs and sounds like a band that was full of energy, unlike TFE, which sounds like a band running short on inspiration.

I agree 100%.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #837 on: November 29, 2014, 03:22:16 PM »
I can't tell you much about how the songs are on this album, because it SOUNDED so bad that I've never listened to the whole thing, and didn't even listen to the parts I've listened to more than a couple of times.  I have no desire to listen to it now, either.  It's one of the worst sonic misadventures I've ever gone on.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #838 on: November 29, 2014, 03:26:23 PM »
I can't tell you much about how the songs are on this album, because it SOUNDED so bad that I've never listened to the whole thing, and didn't even listen to the parts I've listened to more than a couple of times.  I have no desire to listen to it now, either.  It's one of the worst sonic misadventures I've ever gone on.

Have you listened to the Remix? It's greatly more listenable than the original.

-Marc.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #839 on: November 29, 2014, 03:26:38 PM »
Kev, I know we've had this debate before, but the remix does not lose nearly as much as you make it sound. As Hef mentioned, I could never truly evaluate this album due to how incredibly awful is sounded. The remix might have taken a *slight* edge off of some songs, but it allowed the album to be seen as a solid release as opposed to a god-awful failure.

Secret Touch is one of, if not the worst song on this album for me, and so I'm sad it made it into the live set not just for this tour, but a later tour as well. It's the single biggest let-down of the R30 tour.

Love the title track, Ceiling Unlimited, One Little Victory, Ghost Rider and Nocturne.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1