Author Topic: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: Epilogue  (Read 85237 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: Epilogue
« on: September 03, 2014, 12:26:53 PM »
And away we go...

The year was 1968.  It was then that childhood friends Alex Lifeson and John Rutsey decided to form a band that would later become known as Rush, going through a series of other players in the band, including a guy Alex knew named Geddy Lee, who was kicked out of the band at one point, but was later asked back. The band even had a fourth member, who played keyboards, for a spell, but they eventually settled into being a 3-piece band, as they spent years playing bars, clubs, high school and wherever they could, hoping for their big break, as another friend, Ray Danniels, talked them into letting him be their manager, and he did whatever he could to get them gigs. Early influences were artists like Cream, Jeff Beck, Jimi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin, hard rock acts who could get bluesy more often than not.

In 1973, they managed to record a single a that was barely heard by anyone, but at least they had recorded something professionally, and it gave them a bit of momentum as they continued to play whatever gigs they could, and crowds ate up what they played with a spoon.  Most of the songs had lyrics that were pretty loose and off-the-cuff, but Geddy always figured that Rutsey, the band's lyricist in those early days, would form them into something more coherent if the time ever came when they would record again.  However, at some point, Rutsey was diagnosed with diabetes, and the illness caused him to depart the band for a short period, but with the understanding that he'd be back when he was better.  Meanwhile, Geddy and Alex carried on with another drummer at gigs. 

Eventually, Danniels talked the record company who had released the single into releasing a whole album by the band, but the fellas themselves had to front the money to record it, so they had to book the cheapest studio time possible to hurry up and record the album. And it was there where they meet Terry Brown, who became fast friends with the band and would end up producing their first nine albums. 

However, the issue with drummer John Rutsey was reaching a breaking point.  Not only was his illness making him not want to tour, but the musical differences between he and Geddy and Alex were glaring; Rutsey was more into the straight rock, while Geddy and Alex were being influenced by the early progressive rock bands like Yes, so they were eager to expand their sound. The debut album, however, would be very Led Zeppelin-esque musically, and as for the lyrics, Geddy would end up doing most of them since Rutsey, on the day of the recording, had nothing, so Geddy had to quickly make them up on the fly.  And while he was to depart the band shortly after its release, John Rutsey would be around for it, making it his only appearance on a Rush studio album.  His drumming is not bad at all.  Actually, for that style, it was pretty solid, but it's inevitable that it will be dismissed as pedestrian because of the man (whose arrival I will address in the lead-up to the 2nd album) who replaced him... 

A notable early tune that never made it on to anything the band released officially was Garden Road:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-4vsLucYzM

As for Rush, it is a solid first record. "Working Man" is the undeniable classic from it, a song that still gets played on classic rock radio and has been played live by the band quite a bit in the 21st century. "Finding My Way," "In the Mood" and "What You're Doing" are all solid hard rock tunes in the LZ vein as well.  "Here Again" was their attempt at a bluesy tune - I think of LZ's "You Shook Me" whenever I hear it - and it's not bad at all; in fact, it is pretty good, and features a smoking solo by Alex Lifeson, who showed right from the start that he is one helluva soloist. The other songs are okay, but nothing really notable.  There are some who swear by the first album, and there is definitely a youthful energy that it makes this record an enjoyable listen on the right day, but overall, merely showed very brief glimpses of the greatness that was later to come.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 04:49:29 PM by KevShmev »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread, now featuring: Rush
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 12:31:09 PM »
I'm in Jerry!

Great idea Kev.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 12:44:03 PM »
Whoo
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 12:44:52 PM »
Yaay!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 12:54:58 PM »
Definitely following. For now. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 12:57:50 PM »
Gotta make mention of the beautiful intro to "Before And After", which sounded like something they would put on their following two albums. It's amazing you could hear hints of what would come when Neil joined the band, but they were still very much a LZ-sounding band during this stage.

Also, you can't forget "Fancy Dancer", another original that the band played live but never officially recorded in studio.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 01:01:16 PM »
It's been a REAL long time since I listened to this album.  Gotta go dig it out. 

IIRC, Rutsey's health problems were exacerbated by some Bonham-level partying.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 01:02:57 PM »
Love Rush!!  following

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 01:15:39 PM »
Following with a passion. The S/T does nothing for me though, not being much of a Zep fan.  :biggrin:
I'll be along for the next one!

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 01:19:46 PM »
Oh my.....  I'm going to follow this for sure.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 01:28:05 PM »
It's been a REAL long time since I listened to this album.  Gotta go dig it out. 
Same here.  But I will do so post haste.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 01:49:16 PM »
It's been forever since I listened to the self-titled but I am right now. Ah, memories. Perhaps more for that than anything else, I think it's a great record.

I really like Finding My Way, Here Again, What You're Doing, and of course, Working Man.

I'll definitely follow this thread. I need an education in later Rush, something fierce.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 02:29:14 PM »
Yeah!  Ohhhhhhh yeah!  What a great opening track.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 02:41:21 PM »
Yeah!  Ohhhhhhh yeah!  What a great opening track.

That's a great track. Finding My Way, Working Man are great. Not much else to hint at the greatness to come.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 04:04:59 PM »
Kev, Are you going into Danna Halper at all?  I have a little story to tell you about of you are.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 09:21:43 PM »
You mean Donna Halper?  I almost mentioned her in my write-up, but didn't.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 09:42:54 PM »
Following
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2014, 09:48:03 PM »
Same here.  But I will do so post haste.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2014, 09:52:31 PM »
And I did.  Man, it's probably been over 10 years since I spun it start to finish.  It's aged quite well.  I enjoyed it much more than I ever have.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2014, 10:09:52 PM »
Well, one of the songs some of you are singing the praises of (Finding My Way) I find to be an absolute chore to listen through. :lol I haven't listened to this album in at least 14 years and don't remember much about it, but if this is one of the best tracks on it...this isn't going to end well.

However, Working Man is great and was one of the tracks that got me into the band in the first place, so at least there's that.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2014, 10:17:31 PM »
It's aged quite well.  I enjoyed it much more than I ever have.

I haven't spun it in a long time and I share similar sentiments. Nowhere close to being one my favorites, nor my top 10 but I enjoy it for what it is. I can hear youthfulness in the songs and musicianship.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2014, 10:31:12 PM »
It's aged quite well.  I enjoyed it much more than I ever have.
Yeah, I actually have to go along with this now aswell. Finding My Way ended up being my least favourite song, and other than In The Mood being merely tolerable and Here Again dragging on for too long, I liked what I was hearing. Colour me surprised.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2014, 01:10:43 AM »
one of my least played Rush albums, but always enjoy it when I hear it.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2014, 01:22:35 AM »
I barely listen to this album. I can hear the potential of the band, but Neil was the missing ingredient for them to become the band they are today (that's no slight to John though). Favourites on this album are Working Man, Finding My Way, and What You're Doing (I love playing that riff on guitar). I'm still not 100% sold on Geddy's vocals despite being a fan of the band for 3-4 years, and on this album it's really grating IMHO. He would lower the register, and tone back the shrieks later on.

A promising debut nonetheless.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2014, 12:07:00 PM »
You mean Donna Halper?  I almost mentioned her in my write-up, but didn't.

Ooops!  Typo.  Big surprise there.  :lol

I sat next to her at the one night premiere of "Behind the Lighted Stage". We talked about first getting the album, how Jan Wiener would never let Rush into the RRHF. (She was wrong!) and all the times she hung out with them on tour.

All in all, a Rush geeks heaven.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2014, 12:07:08 PM »
I'll be following and giving the debut a spin later on today.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2014, 12:11:28 PM »
Following! Not exactly the biggest Rush fan (not listened to any album between 2112-Clockwork Angels yet) so this gives me a good reason too.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2014, 12:20:11 PM »
Following!

Starting, however, with an album that is probably my least favorite of mine. I used to like it a bit when I was getting into Rush, but now it's just a bunch of average songs... With the exception of Finding my way, which is good enough.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2014, 12:51:02 PM »
(not listened to any album between 2112-Clockwork Angels yet) so this gives me a good reason too.

:omg: :omg:  I can't even comprehend this.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2014, 01:00:44 PM »
I agree! :omg:

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2014, 01:16:58 PM »
Following! Not exactly the biggest Rush fan (not listened to any album between 2112-Clockwork Angels yet) so this gives me a good reason too.

Shocking! But just think of the happiness that awaits you with the abundance of Rush coming your way!

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2014, 01:43:34 PM »
Aaaaaaand follow.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2014, 02:05:03 PM »
I'm following.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2014, 04:22:55 PM »
I'm still not 100% sold on Geddy's vocals despite being a fan of the band for 3-4 years, and on this album it's really grating IMHO. He would lower the register, and tone back the shrieks later on.

I would rather listen to his vocals on s/t versus anything Vapor Trails or after (and I actually really like the last 3 albums (not counting Feedback), I just can barely stand the change in vocal technique.)

and Before And After is definitely the underrated track from this album.  That is a kick-ass song once the full band picks up.  What You're Doing is the most overrated.