Author Topic: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: Epilogue  (Read 85549 times)

Online Anguyen92

Re: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: Snakes & Arrows Live
« Reply #980 on: December 16, 2014, 10:06:54 PM »
I love this DVD set.  The Snakes and Arrows songs sounded so damn good, for sure better than the studio version.  The other nuggets of this set is also great. Entre Nous, Mission, Passage to Bangkok in full.  Just a glorious set.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #981 on: December 16, 2014, 10:12:55 PM »
I want this live album SO BAD!  It is one of my favorite tours, and one of my favorite setlists...but for some reason, I never got around to picking it up.   I think that after picking up the previous two live albums, I was just tapped.   

Actually, now that I think about it, I really loved the "complete package" 5-disc set of R30, and I think I was really hoping that they would eventually release this as a single set as well.     So I was holding out for something bigger, and it never happened.  :-\

5-Disc R30 set? You mean the 4-Disc set, right? Unless my set didn't come with a disc... AFAIK, R30's deluxe edition was 2 DVDs and 2 CDs, and some picks.

Anyways, S&A live was an interesting release. A live album from the tour they were currently IN THE MIDDLE OF. It was totally out of left-field, and then the second leg of the S&A Tour was in support of the live album from the first leg....wait...what? :lol

It was confusion, for sure, but there was a good set list there, and I was boggled as to why we got the CD but no live concert DVD. Little did we know, there was one coming down the pipeline after the whole tour was done, and this time, it included ALL of the songs from that tour (save for "Summertime Blues", I believe), which also included some songs from an Atlanta show ("Ghost Of A Chance" being one of my favorites"). Had they waited to do a CD set, they could've done a 3-CD release like they did with Rush In Rio, and release the whole show, plus alternate-leg swap-outs as bonus tracks at the end (although I still won't forgive the band for not including any recording of "Ceiling Unlimited" on the RIR CD or DVD).

-Marc.

Of course, you're right.   I guess I was mis-remembering that they actually released the entire show on CD...thus making a 3-CD audio set.   Alas, they didn't.

Still...I wish they had done a complete package for this tour instead of making us buy the audio and video separately :-\.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #982 on: December 16, 2014, 10:17:54 PM »
My first Rush concert and an epic one at that. I didn't mind the 5-song run of Snakes and Arrows songs either as they're good, except Far Cry, could never get into it. 
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #983 on: December 16, 2014, 11:04:39 PM »
I don't own the DVD, but I've seen it once and it was enjoyable. I think that was the first time I heard Mission - what a great song and performance! :hefdaddy Circumstances also sounds great, although it's a tough song for Geddy vocally. I have no problem with the amount of songs they played from S&A, but I agree that playing five of them in a row is a bit overkill.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #984 on: December 16, 2014, 11:29:23 PM »
I think playing 5 new songs in a row was a challenge for them. They hadn't really done anything like that before on a tour. The most new songs they'd ever played live consecutively was, I think, three. Going backwards, on the CP Tour, they played a run of "Animate", "Stick It Out" and "Double Agent", while on the RTB Tour, they played the opening 3 songs from the album in a row. On the Presto Tour, they had "Show Don't Tell", "Superconductor" and "The Pass" lumped together. Before that, all new songs were done in pairs or solo with older songs all between them. Having two sets and an encore really allowed them to space their songs out after the TFE tour, but somehow they felt compelled to lump 5 new songs together for the S&A tour.

I think doing that opened up the idea of being able to do all of Moving Pictures in one go on the Time Machine tour, then doing a LARGE portion of Clockwork Angels to open the 2nd set with. I think if they hadn't had the balls to start their second set with 5 new songs on this tour, they probably wouldn't have gotten to where they were on the last two tours as far as tour setlist arrangements go.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #985 on: December 17, 2014, 12:11:50 AM »
This was the first Rush DVD I saw, and my introduction to the band.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #986 on: December 17, 2014, 05:28:15 AM »
Never bothered with this. 8 songs from S&A?? Not interested. But looking at the tracklist, there are some of my faves..Digital Man, Natural Science.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline emtee

« Reply #987 on: December 17, 2014, 06:33:51 AM »
One of my favorite live Rush releases. Love the sound quality. And hearing the S&A material performed side by side with
classic Rush solidified to me that the new material is just as good as their classic era and for me they were re-born with
S&A.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #988 on: December 17, 2014, 06:46:23 AM »
After the tameness of the R30 set, this was such a nice breathe of fresh air. Heavy on new material and with a nice handful of rarities pulled out. What's more is the audio was great, and the video editing made you feel more at the show than any Rush release to date. Fantastic overall release.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #989 on: December 17, 2014, 07:31:02 AM »
Never got this one.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #990 on: December 17, 2014, 08:15:03 AM »
Never bothered with this. 8 songs from S&A?? Not interested. But looking at the tracklist, there are some of my faves..Digital Man, Natural Science.

Something I recall pointing out (and sending to Eric at the PowerWindows website) regarding this tour:

Keeping score on the songs played: only 6 songs were played from albums released between Moving Pictures and Vapor Trails (only one from the 90's, and one from the 80's was only performed for less than half of the tourdates); not including the drum solo, of the 27 songs played, 17 were from PeW, MP or SA - roughly 2/3 of the concert (2/3 of the entire Permanent Waves album was included). It also is worth mentioning that between the last three tours, Rush played 6/7ths of Moving Pictures live; "The Camera Eye" being the notable exception.

They really relied heavily on their new album and their two classic albums from when they were hitting their height of popularity back in the early 80's. And little did fans know that they'd finally bring back the one MP song they had yet to play in the 00's on the following tour.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #991 on: December 17, 2014, 08:19:57 AM »
When I saw this tour live I could tell the audience was getting very restless with the long stretch of new material.

Overall I really like this release and I enjoy the S&A songs more live

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #992 on: December 18, 2014, 08:36:04 AM »
I have this but don't remember much about it. not one I reach for due to the high number of recent songs.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: Time Machine 2011: Live in Cleveland
« Reply #993 on: December 19, 2014, 05:09:13 PM »
And on we go to another live album, making it the first and only time (so far) that Rush has released two live albums in a row without any studio album in the middle there.  Playing all of Moving Pictures was awesome, and it was cool that they debuted two songs that would eventually go on Clockwork Angels, but it's just an odd-looking set list.  That first set just didn't flow well at all, and ending the second set with "Far Cry" was more than a bit questionable, although I know Rush loves to put newer songs in spots like that, like "One Little Victory" inexplicably being an encore on the S&A tour.  Anyway, still a good live album, but other than the live version of "Presto," I really don't revisit it very much.  As thrilled as I was to finally see "Marathon" live, Geddy's declining live voice kinda ruined it for me.

Offline The Letter M

Of all the live albums they've put out since 2003, this is probably the one I've listened to the least. Both RIR and R30 were very special, being the big comeback tour and the anniversary, while S&A Live marked a bold statement about their new album, as well as featuring a fair amount of older/rarer songs. The Time Machine tour really only had about half a show's worth of great material, and agreed about Geddy's voice here. It improved a bit for the CAT release, but here it's just a bit hit-or-miss. I believe the story was that he was fighting off a cold just before this show, and since everything had already been set up to record in Cleveland, there wasn't much that could be done. Quite a shame, and I'm sure there are bootlegs out there with better Geddy vocals, but this is the one we got officially.

And to be nitpicky, sure we didn't get a full studio album before this live album, but we didn't really get one before R30 either, and so if you don't count Feedback as a studio album (more of an EP than an LP), this is the 2nd time in 10 years that two live albums were successively released. Unless, if you count the covers EP, you could possibly consider the "Caravan" single, which was released before the Time Machine Tour, and included two early versions of "Caravan" and "BU2B". It's a neat sneak-peak in an album that would take two more years to complete and release, and hearing that single was an amazing thing. I was stunned at the playing and writing, and tried to imagine an album with that level of intensity. Also, the cover to the "Caravan" single was gorgeous, and at first, I had hoped it'd be the cover to next album, but what we got was initially disappointing, but I have since grown to love it. Red really suits the band... (debut logo, the Starman, Hold Your Fire, and probably more...).

-Marc.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Ahh, the tour that we got the first show of the NA leg. It was cool to be first in experienceing this.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Love this live album. I think the setlist is great, the flow is totally fine. Moving Pictures front to back is pretty awesome plus the 2 new songs. It's so interesting listening back on those songs after hearing them in context. Far Cry works pretty well as a set closer I think.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline HolidaysAnoraks

Really loved their decision to play Presto on this tour, which is a favorite of mine I thought I'd never get to hear live!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I have this one, but I don't think Ive listened to it since it was released

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Never got this one.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
This is the only one I've watched so far, and it helped my get into some songs. Can't compare it to anything else, yet  :biggrin: but it's awesome, I think.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
I have it, and it is awesome.  All Rush is awesome.  But with so many live releases now, there are bound to be some which aren't considered top tier, for whatever reasons.  Some of the criticisms here are valid.  I only have a few of the live videos, though, and I think they're all great.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: Clockwork Angels
« Reply #1002 on: December 21, 2014, 09:04:29 AM »
With the Time Machine tour finished, Rush set about working on the album they had already started when they released "Caravan" and "BU2B" in 2010, and by the end of 2011, the album was finished, and Clockwork Angels would eventually be released in the summer of 2012.  There were many rumors about it being a concept album and how the band was gonna stretch out musically and whatnot, but given how many times we had heard the "the band is returning to their roots" comment over the years, some fans, myself included, took the "I'll believe it when I hear it" approach.  In April, "Headlong Flight" was released to radio stations and with a lyric video on YouTube, and I have to admit that it was pretty awesome to hear.  Not only was it nearly 7 1/2-minutes, meaning the band wasn't keeping themselves in that 5-minute box anymore most of the time, but it had a very progressive vibe to it, not to mention that the playing was ferocious and had the feel of a band very much eager to prove themselves, not of a band approaching 60.  It as an absolute thrill to hear, and when the tracklisting and song lengths of the album came out, the fan base as a whole was overjoyed to see five of the songs going over the 6-minute mark.  Now, this is not meant to imply that "longer songs automatically equals better," but many of us were eager to see the band spread their wings again instrumentally, and that many songs being 6-7 minute instead of most of them being around 5 meant that we were probably gonna get some tasty instrumental sections unlike anything we had heard on a Rush album in quite some time. 

When the album came out, our hopes were not without merit.  Not only did some of the longer tunes have some extended instrumental sections in the middle of them, but songs like "Seven Cities of Gold," "The Anarchist" and the title track all had long intros.  To be fair, Snakes & Arrows did have a number of songs that had somewhat long intros, especially considering the overall song lengths, but then they would all jump into that standard "verse-chorus-verse-chorus-quick solo section-chorus etc-end" format.  Clockwork Angels had the feel of a band that simply let the songs flow naturally and without any kind of pre-conceived notion of how they should they go; the band feels loose, in a manner of speaking.

Jumping back in a minute, when the first two songs came out in 2010, I was very fond of "Caravan," and was hoping it was a glimpse of what was to come.  I liked "BU2B,' too, but over time, it came across to me as another modern Rush songs that rocked, but didn't have much lasting impact.  In the context of the album once it came out, "Caravan" revealed itself to be a dynamite opener, while "BU2B" had an added 50 seconds at the beginning that helped it dynamically and sonically.

Now, when I first heard the rest of the album, I have to admit that the title track knocked my socks off.  The rocking verses ("You promise every treasure...") were an absolute thrill to hear, and gave me that "I have been waiting 20 years for Rush to write a song like this" feeling. I couldn't believe they were writing and playing something so explosive, so big and so expansive again.  The way the verses explode into the chorus is just so damn perfect.  Overall, the song is very diverse, with many dynamic shifts.  In many ways, it is the perfect 21st century Rush song.  It is probably still my favorite Rush song from not only this record, but undoubtedly this century.

Then it was on to "The Anarchist," which is pretty damn awesome as well; I put it just a hair behind the title track. Geddy's bass playing in this song is nothing short of absurd, and the mellow pre-chorus section, featuring some cool strings, is very much Porcupine Tree-influenced with that vocal effect.  It's very cool to see a band that was influenced by Rush now influencing Rush.  Alex's riffing in the song is easy to overlook, but it drives the song forward, and some of Neil Peart's best playing in a long time is in this song.

The next three songs were all pretty great as well, the rocking "Carnies," the acoustic-driven "Halo Effect," and "Seven Cities of Gold,' which almost sounds like a song that was written for a western, if that makes sense.  This middle section of the record being so strong is a big reason why this album is so great.  The best songs are in the first and last third of the album, but the fact that tracks 5-8 are all so good as well is an indicator of how just on fire the band was. The middle section is capped off with the catchy "The Wreckers," which was unique in that Geddy and Alex switched instruments during the writing process, so the guitar melody was written by Geddy and the bass line was written by Alex, so you get a bit of a different feel with this song, even while the main riff and vocal melodies still sound very much like modern day Rush.

The final four tracks is kicked off with the aforementioned "Headlong Flight."  I didn't mention it earlier, but this song also has some absolutely ferocious playing by Geddy, and that dirty melody Alex plays prior to the first chorus is one of my favorite moments of the entire record.  The way it builds up into the chorus when the others come back in with the bass, drums and vocals is wicked cool.  I also love the way it is used differently each time, with it being unaccompanied the first time, not being there the second time, and then being played underneath the chorus the last time.  Very neat the way they shifted it around each time.  Also, I mentioned in an earlier review that Alex's soloing dipped off starting with Test for Echo, but this album was a great return to form solo-wise for him, and the one in "Headlong Flight" is a favorite of mine. 

The reprisal in "BU2B2" is cool in giving the album more of a cohesive feel, even if this short little transitional track isn't particularly noteworthy, but it's a nice little come down in between two rockers, the second of which is the penultimate track to the album.  "Wish Them Well" seems to be the red-headed step child of the record, it being a song that seems to be often dismissed as the weak link of the record, but I could not disagree more.  I love it, and it's always a song I crank up whenever it plays.  Plus, lyrically it's a clever play on words in regards to turning the other cheek.

The finale of the album, "The Garden," is another one of those "I've been waiting 20 years for Rush to write this song" songs.  Geddy Lee has said several times in the past that he still felt like he had that perfect song in him somewhere, and it wouldn't surprise me if he feels like "The Garden" is it.  It's an absolutely gorgeous song, and a perfect ending to a phenomenal record. For a long time, it seemed like Rush got in the habit of sticking whatever song they felt was the weakest of the ones they wrote at the end, hence them never playing live any last track from any of the albums from 1987-2007, but it's clear that this time that they intended to end the album on a most wonderful note, and they achieved that in spades.  There is no other song in the Rush catalogue that sounds like "The Garden," and if they never do another album, I can't think of a more perfect way to end their career, from a studio recording standpoint.

I'll let others dig into the concept and lyrics.  And I won't go into too much detail about how I wish the album sounded better - it suffers a tad from compression and being too loud.  Overall, that little flaw aside, this is a beastly album, one I wasn't sure Rush was capable of making at that stage of their careers, especially given their ages, but they sure did prove me wrong.  And I couldn't have been more happy about it.  This is one of Rush's finest efforts ever, of any era.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1003 on: December 21, 2014, 09:07:19 AM »
The title track is the best thing I've heard from them since Power Windows.  The pushed themselves on this album and it shows!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1004 on: December 21, 2014, 09:17:56 AM »
Well, what this album proves is how much garbage they've released over the second half of their career.
This album is great! Why the fu#k did we have to wait so long for it?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #1005 on: December 21, 2014, 09:20:07 AM »
This album is so awesome  :hefdaddy It proves what kind of musicianship there's still in the band  :metal :metal
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1006 on: December 21, 2014, 10:14:43 AM »
Longer post later.   But I also love that the clock is set to 21:12 military time.   :metal
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1007 on: December 21, 2014, 10:22:29 AM »
Their best album in a long long time.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1008 on: December 21, 2014, 10:35:11 AM »
The first album by Rush I enjoyed, front to back, since Power Windows. Miles above the quality of everything they did from 1987 to this. Just a bloody brilliant album.  :metal
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1009 on: December 21, 2014, 11:40:19 AM »
When the "Caravan" single came out, 3 years after Snakes & Arrows, I gained hope that we wouldn't have to wait another vie years between albums (as we did between VT and S&A), but as 2010 and 2011 dragged on, I began to wonder what the band was doing (other than touring, that is, for the Time Machine Tour). When the release date was set, I was ecstatic. I pre-ordered the Classic Rock Magazine special edition that came with a keychain and a special magazine full of Rush stories. The case itself is a VERY nice, glossy digibook.

If I recall correctly, I didn't get it from the UK until a couple days AFTER release date, and knowing it might ship late, I went ahead to Best Buy on the day of release and bought another copy of the album ANYWAY. Crazy, I know, but this is my favorite band we're talking about here! I popped that sucker into my car's CD player and sat in the parking lot for about 15 minutes getting through most of the first three songs. Having been familiar with the first two for two years now, it was nice to hear them in the context of the album, especially with some changes made. When the title track kicked in, I was elated, transported to another world and time. Rush wrote something unlike anything they had in decades, and it was transcendental. I didn't think anything on the album could top the title track, but most of the rest was about as good, if not better, like "Headlong Flight" and "The Garden".

Honestly, as weak as songs like "BU2B2" and "Wish Them Well" might sound, as a whole, the album is REALLY strong. I enjoy every song on this album, more than I enjoy every song on the previous two albums. Is it because of the story and concept? Perhaps, but all that aside, this is just Rush firing on all cylinders and pushing in all directions. Since they reconvened in 2001, every album has pushed a little more than before, which has kept me wondering where Rush will go with their next album, but until then, I have Clockwork Angels to keep me company. Heck, I have it in my car's CD player right now! I've been in the mood to blast it during my commutes lately so I put it in the other day and I'm glad I did. It had been awhile since I've heard it, so it was nice to revisit this already 2-and-a-half-year-old album. If history repeats itself, we're about another 2.5 years from the next Rush album.

-Marc.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1010 on: December 21, 2014, 11:56:35 AM »
I don't think I would be alone calling this album Rush's most consistent album. Clockwork Angels is probably in my top 5 songs by them.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1011 on: December 21, 2014, 11:58:53 AM »
Fantastic release, the best since Power Windows IMO

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #1012 on: December 21, 2014, 04:29:04 PM »
This album is stunningly good for a band's 19th original studio effort and with members approaching 60 years old.  Is there another one anywhere that is this good?

I have to admit when I heard Caravan and BU2B, I wasn't really impressed.  I think Caravan might be my 2nd least favorite still.  It's pretty much like those songs on Snakes and Arrows as far as I'm concerned and that's not a compliment.  BU2B was at least improved on the album release.

I agree, the title track is one of the best things they've done in a long time.  A huge grin came across my face when I heard this for the first time.  It was Rush, almost like doing a kick-ass version of One Of These Days from PF.  But that's just the intro.  I really love those verses like Kev said.  I actually sort of disengage during the blues breakdown section, that's the one thing keeping this song from being among their all-time best.  I just don't think it fits the rest of the song, and it drains the amazing energy.

Anarchist and Carnies are amazing hard rocking songs for a band at this stage of their career.  I absolutely love their instrumental sections.  Anarchist is probably my favorite on the whole album.

The rest of the songs are all very good, but still don't individually break into the top-tier of Rush songs for me.  They work better together.  Headlong Flight is another great one.

Garden is so close to being one of their career highlights, but it just isn't for me.  About 80% of the song is amazing, but I'm just not a fan of the ending section.  Still a great song though, and different from anything they've done.

This is an album I"m definitely proud to own.  It reveals what amazing musicians Rush are, and a long time from now people will be holding it up as one of their great accomplishments.  Even though it might not be my preference, people might forget about everything after MP and put this up there with their must have albums.

edit: left out a word
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 07:00:35 PM by nicmos »

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1013 on: December 22, 2014, 12:57:11 AM »
I love Vapor Trails(Remix) and Snakes & Arrows, but Clockwork Angels is a big improvement over those albums. The title track is just amazing.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 03:16:57 AM by Polarbear »

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1014 on: December 22, 2014, 05:28:42 AM »
Clockwork Angels is the album that got me into Rush, so it'll always have a special place in my heart, but even after hearing all the other albums I still think it's one of their greatest achievements. Caravan, The Anarchist and Headlong Flight = :2metal:

I missed the Time Machine discussion, but I don't have a lot to add, as I've seen it only once. I thought the song selection was great, but Geddy's vocals sounded a little patchy at times (see: Time Stand Still chorus).