Author Topic: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: Epilogue  (Read 85579 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: Power Windows
« Reply #455 on: October 29, 2014, 08:33:55 AM »
H.R.H. KING LERXST, KING OF SCHMENGLAND !! :lol

Read his gear section from the Power Windows tourbook.

https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/tourbook-powerwindows.php

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #456 on: October 29, 2014, 09:07:41 AM »
I listened to Power Windows yesterday as well and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it! I'm thinking I need to buy it so I can let it absorb properly. This will be my first (last?) synth era Rush album.

I still have the feeling that other 80's bands did this kind of music better but as for Rush's take on modern (at the time) music I think this was their best. Their personalities, from their 70's music, are more pronounced and a welcome addition.

Orbert said all this better.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #457 on: October 29, 2014, 12:38:45 PM »
Man... listening now, and this is one fuckin killer album.  Although, because I was introduced to many of these from ASOH, the studio version of Marathon in particular is just a titch than ASOH is.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online The Letter M

« Reply #458 on: October 29, 2014, 02:52:05 PM »
Today in RUSH HISTORY, Hemispheres, Exit...Stage Left and Power Windows were all released in their respective years!!! Time to spin POW again!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #459 on: October 29, 2014, 07:20:37 PM »
Today in RUSH HISTORY, Hemispheres, Exit...Stage Left and Power Windows were all released in their respective years!!! Time to spin POW again!

-Marc.

Listening to Hemispheres right now actually! :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #460 on: October 29, 2014, 10:00:55 PM »
Power Windows is a great album.  Every time I listen, I realize how good it is.  However, I just don't ever listen to it.  When I want to listen to synth Rush, I put on Signals, P/G or HYF, but never PW.  When I think about it, it makes no sense.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #461 on: October 30, 2014, 05:09:03 AM »
Power Windows is a great album.  Every time I listen, I realize how good it is.  However, I just don't ever listen to it.  When I want to listen to synth Rush, I put on Signals, P/G or HYF, but never PW.  When I think about it, it makes no sense.
It actually makes perfect sense. 80's Rush twists me all up in knots too.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #462 on: October 31, 2014, 02:26:36 PM »
Next update coming this weekend. Sorry for the delay, but it's been a busy week.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #463 on: November 01, 2014, 03:59:25 AM »
No worries  :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #464 on: November 01, 2014, 06:49:45 AM »
Next update coming this weekend. Sorry for the delay, but it's been a busy week.

Definitely no worries... you're running at a better pace than me, and definitely better than Tommy Boy.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: Hold Your Fire
« Reply #465 on: November 01, 2014, 08:30:48 AM »
Retaining Peter Collins as their producer, the band went about recording their 12th studio album, and Hold Your Fire was the result.  While still featuring a lot of keyboards, they were pulled back a tad, and while Power Windows sounded very big and grandiose, Hold Your Fire was more intimate and even, as Geddy once said, romantic in some ways.  Overall, it has a very melodic feel, even if some of the many crescendos sound very crash-bangy, for lack of a better term.  Granted, this is probably an album that Alex looks back on and cringes at his guitar tone, which he has described as being "wiry," but it works for the style this album was written in.  Often times, it is like he is dancing around a melodic keyboard line, like during the chorus of "Open Secrets," and distortion and/or a heavier tone wouldn't have fitted there at all.  So, while different, it stands out for him in the sense of you won't find another Rush album where his playing is like it is on this record. I think he has probably proud of that some to some extent, and he should be.  As always, Geddy and Neil were on the top of their game, on their respective instruments, as well.

As for the songs, it is loaded with good ones.  "Mission" is arguably a top 10 Rush song by just about any standard; that ending - "It's cold comfort..." - is just magnificent.  I've always been partial to "Turn the Page" and "Prime Mover," and "Lock and Key" and "Open Secrets" are easily two of their most underrated songs ever. Longtime live favorites "Force Ten" and "Time Stand Still" are both great, and I've always like "High Water" way more than most others seem to.  "Second Nature" and "Tai Shan" kind of stand out as being the least best of the bunch, but are both enjoyable enough to not skip over when listening from start to finish, even if the band recently referred to "Tai Shan" as being one of their biggest mistakes ever. :lol

Overall, this is often a hard album to rank accordingly, cause it is so different.  I can't say it's as good as any of the Big 5, or Power Windows, or a couple of their post-1980s albums, so when doing the math, it comes off as an "average" Rush record, but there really is no shame in that considering how great so many of their albums are.  This is totally a "snapshot in time" album; it sounds like 1987 in many regards.  Had this album been recorded in 1981 or 1992, God only knows how different it would have been, but I am happy it came out the way it did, and I still listen to this one a lot.  Really good record. :coolio

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #466 on: November 01, 2014, 09:00:06 AM »
I listened to this earlier in the week in anticipation but I don't recall a single impression remaining. I must listen again before commenting.

[edit] I'm listening right now, and by the holy balls of Thor, Open Secrets is AWESOME! [/edit]
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 09:13:38 AM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #467 on: November 01, 2014, 09:29:08 AM »
Hold Your Fire is a strange album for me.  It seems like something I really should like sometimes, and at the same time I always feel like it's not as good as it should have been.  Several of the tracks are ones I definitely enjoy the most out of any of their 80s and 90s stuff.  I think maybe it is an implicit comparison to Power Windows, which I think is the single best Rush album, that makes this seem lackluster in comparison.  But it's still an enjoyable listen from beginning to end.

Force Ten could have been one of my all time favorite Rush songs, it's really propulsive and develops nicely, but when it gets to where the solo should normally be, it just falls completely flat.  It's just some (interesting) repetitive note patterns bouncing back and forth between the snyths and the guitar.  Other than that, a great song.

Time Stand Still is I believe the best song on the album.  It exceeds all other Rush songs in its wistful mood.  The Aimee Mann vocals add a nice touch to it, and the last verse(? it doesn't neatly fit a verse or chorus or pre-chorus or bridge even, the part that goes "Summers going fast...") is so emotional.

Open Secrets and Second Nature are like the "no fun zone" of this album.  Open Secrets has just never connected with me although I like the lyrics.  Second Nature is enjoyable enough I guess but it's a little slow and not a whole lot going on in the song.

Prime Mover and Lock and Key both again seem like they should be really good songs but fall just short.  I like the bridge in Prime Mover, but even so, this song seems to lack some dynamics or something that would take it to the next level.  Lock and Key is maybe a little too formulaic, good solo, and does anyone else always think of The Body Electric during the outro?  I can't not think 1-0-0, 1-0-0, 1-SOS there.

Mission almost seems like it was made from the same magic as Power Windows, I think it's the only song on this album that seems like it would fit on that one and stand up to those great tunes, but still wouldn't be as good as most of them.  Still a great song, but the climax has always fallen a little short for me.

Turn The Page is a great song, unlike just about any other Rush song due to that bass line.  It's amazing to think Geddy actually pulls off the bass and the vocals simultaneously on this song live (and he's commented on how it took a lot of practice to get them straight).  That solo is great, and a great ending.

I like Tai Shan, and I'm going to embarrass myself and say that it means more to me after my trip to China.  I can really see how Neil was inspired to write this, and he shouldn't be embarrassed about it.  Maybe it doesn't belong on a Rush album, but an enjoyable song nonetheless.

High Water, I love the groove, especially how it develops throughout the song, and I just really like the vocal line and it feels huge in the last verse and chorus, a great way to end the album.  Totally underrated.

Also, have to say I love the inside album art, sort of like a sequel to Moving Pictures, I wish they would have gone with that for the cover, but they went with the minimalist version of it instead, I guess that was the thing to do in '87.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #468 on: November 01, 2014, 10:13:48 AM »
The end of another 4-album era/cycle, but what should've been a timeless classic like 2112 and Moving Pictures ended up being a bit...on-par. After the stellar Power Windows (another 3rd-of-the-era album with P and W as the initials...hmmmm), it would've been difficult to follow up with an as-brilliant album.

Don't get me wrong, HYF has some GREAT songs on it, like "Mission", "Prime Mover" and "Lock And Key", with some pretty good songs as well, like "Force TEn", "Time Stand Still", "Turn The Page" and "Open Secrets", but the over-all album doesn't feel AS strong as what came before it. It was definitely an evolution of the band's sound, and it was the next stepping stone into the direction they would take in their next era, with slightly less and less keyboards, a little more guitar, and tighter, shorter songs (POW had 4 songs about as long or longer than HYF's longest song).

I like this album, and coupled with POW, I like this pair more than the SIG/GUP pair that start the synth-era of albums, but it's hard not to compare this album to POW, and as such, I find myself liking it not as much. It's a shame, though, that the band have only played SIX of these TEN songs, but they certainly played six of the best!
Turn The Page, Prime Mover, Force Ten, Time Stand Still, Lock and Key, and Mission.

I they could play one more live, I'd say either "Open Secrets" or "Second Nature".

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #469 on: November 01, 2014, 10:24:59 AM »
HYF is a good album but kind of uneven, hence it's my least favorite synth era album and in the lower half of my overall Rush album ranking. Time Stand Still, Force Ten, Prime Mover (would love to see them play this live!) and Mission are fantastic and I like Open Secrets and Lock & Key, but the rest of the songs are pretty forgettable. Tai Shan isn't as bad as people say, but not exciting either, and the lyrics are kind of cheesy compared to what Neil usually writes. Maybe the album would've been tighter if it had been 40-45 minutes long like the previous ones.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #470 on: November 01, 2014, 10:25:50 AM »
My least listened to of their 80s albums. Only Time Stand Still, Force Ten and Mission interest me. Perhaps I should give it yet another chance.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #471 on: November 01, 2014, 10:46:35 AM »
My least listened to of their 80s albums. Only Time Stand Still, Force Ten and Mission interest me. Perhaps I should give it yet another chance.

This, though Mission is a top 5 Rush song for me. It doesn't help that I have a bad memory of this tour; me and my best friend had tickets to see Rush with the McAuley-Schenker Group opening. The night before, coming home from hanging out at a local bar, my friend's car gets rear ended at a stop light, and basically destroyed. If I hadn't been sitting between the front seats bullshitting with my friends and thrown forward, I'd probably have been killed. Wound up having to go to the emergency room for precautionary measures, I had a mild concussion. "But hey," I said to my best friend the next morning "at least we have Rush and MSG tonight."

And then they cancelled the show that day.  :censored
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #472 on: November 01, 2014, 12:40:08 PM »
And this is where Rush lost me. All their albums from 2112 up to this point were at least really good, but this one is among their worst and it's a lot more inconsistent after this. It's pretty clear at this point that the band needs a change in direction and are stuck in a musical rut. The songs are really samey and not as exciting as the other synth era material. Definitely in the bottom end of my rankings. Some good songs here and there, but overall not one I'm eager to go back to ever.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #473 on: November 01, 2014, 12:44:40 PM »
And this is where Rush lost me. All their albums from 2112 up to this point were at least really good, but this one is among their worst and it's a lot more inconsistent after this. It's pretty clear at this point that the band needs a change in direction and are stuck in a musical rut. The songs are really samey and not as exciting as the other synth era material. Definitely in the bottom end of my rankings. Some good songs here and there, but overall not one I'm eager to go back to ever.

I'd argue that GUP and PoW are a lot more samey or homogenous than HYF, not that the songs on those albums aren't good.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #474 on: November 01, 2014, 01:39:33 PM »
I don't really disagree, but both albums have more variety and don't blend together as much as HYF does for me.

Btw what is it about Tai Shan that people hate so much? I don't find it much better or worse than other songs on that album.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #475 on: November 01, 2014, 01:43:21 PM »
I do like this album, though not all of it. I really like Tai Shan...
It's not as good as PW but is far more consistent than p/g, it just doesn't have those enormous highs. I agree about the production. It doesn't sound bad, just a little bare compared to the previous albums. Compared to TFE, VT and S&A its a goddamn masterpiece though.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #476 on: November 01, 2014, 02:03:29 PM »
I'm with Mosh.  Until Roll the Bones, this was my least favorite Rush album.    It tried to be Power Windows Part 2, and just failed.   There are some greats.  I love Prime Mover, Mission, Second Nature, Time Stand Still...  Most of the rest are just OK.  (though I do admit that I like Tai Shan more than most)  I guess I just have a poor opinion of this album because it was the very first of any of their albums that has true "skip tracks".   But I guess when viewed objectively, it's still half good...which is better than most other people's albums.

Still, after the perfection of Power Windows, this was a big letdown.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #477 on: November 01, 2014, 02:26:17 PM »
Until Roll the Bones, this was my least favorite Rush album. 

Come at me, bro!  :coolio

Offline jammindude

« Reply #478 on: November 01, 2014, 03:11:03 PM »
Ranking...

1. Prime Mover
2. Mission
3. Time Stand Still
4. Second Nature
5. Force Ten
6. Tai Shan
7. Lock and Key
8. Turn the Page
9. Open Secrets
10. High Water

Love the first 4, the middle 3 are decent, I don't really care for the last three....though I guess Turn the Page is somewhere between "decent" and "forgettable"...  The chorus is just awkward, and Geddy sounds terrible doing it live because he's shifting between overlapping choruses with a single voice.   The song just doesn't do it for me.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #479 on: November 01, 2014, 03:16:29 PM »
Just listening now for the first time in ages and I'm enjoying it. For 3 guys they do fill your ears. The bass and drums are thunderous, the guitars the supporting act really, and the keys are hardly really there.
Yeah, great album.

And I love RtB too  :biggrin:  Much better than Presto.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #480 on: November 01, 2014, 07:20:43 PM »

No freaking way!  :)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #481 on: November 02, 2014, 02:51:38 AM »

Both Presto and Roll The Bones are very good IMO. I like them both better than HYF, but HYF is not a bad album. Time Stand Still, Lock And Key and Prime Mover are all great songs.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #482 on: November 02, 2014, 04:12:41 AM »

Presto just never did it for me. Some good songs, certainly, after all it's Rush. RtB is better.

Online Mladen

« Reply #483 on: November 02, 2014, 04:38:38 AM »
To my ears, the difference between this album and the previous three is enormous. I love Force ten, Second nature and Prime mover, Time stands still is pretty solid, but the rest is just completely average or below. Such a significant drop in quality after five amazing albums, I honestly can't figure out what happened...

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #484 on: November 02, 2014, 04:45:22 AM »
I kind of agree.  I mean, there are some cool songs (Force Ten, Mission, Time Stand Still, High Water) but the rest has a "filler" feel to me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #485 on: November 02, 2014, 05:27:58 AM »
As much as I still play this album a ton, it is a little too smooth for a Rush album.  I would kill to hear Open Secrets live.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #486 on: November 02, 2014, 06:05:44 AM »
Agree with a lot of the comments above ... "smooth", "consistent", "filler", "doesn't have highs", "ties to be POW v2".

Overall, pretty good album, not sure where I'd rank it in the synth-era... 3rd or 4th.  Probably 4th.  Love Force Ten (first live song I ever heard by them).  I wouldn't call anything a total dud, but there are some less than memorable moments.

And I'm glad I'm not the only one expecting to hear 1-0-0, 1-0-0,1-SOS during Lock and Key.  Seriously, I had to check what track I was listening to, to make sure I didn't have it on random or something.  :lol  And High Water (especially the chorus line of "When the water takes me home" leading into the solo) has the same feel as Territories at times.

Kev, I must correct you though, Tai Shan wasn't the worst thing the band ever did... that is honor is without a doubt reserved for the video for Time Stand Still.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #487 on: November 02, 2014, 06:08:08 AM »
Yeah, horrible video :lol

Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #488 on: November 02, 2014, 07:01:54 AM »
Haha, yeah, that video is, um, interesting. :lol :lol

jammindude, I don't get the "It tried to be Power Windows Part 2" comment; I outlined in my review the clear differences between the two albums.  I think the band did a really good job of giving all four synth era albums their own identity and sound (even if Signals was a bit of a failure in the sense that it didn't come out how they wanted it to, leading to the axing of Terry Brown).

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #489 on: November 02, 2014, 07:02:14 AM »
Used to be really into synth era Rush last year and even though HYF was my least favorite of the 4,it somehow was the one i spun the most. Mission,Force Ten,Prime Mover,Open Secrets and Time Stand Still are some great songs.