Author Topic: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: Epilogue  (Read 85409 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
Re: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: Grace Under Pressure
« Reply #386 on: October 23, 2014, 12:07:23 PM »
Love side A of Grace under Pressure, my favourite thing Rush did after Moving Pictures. Side B however is a lot weaker, run-of-the-mill late 80's Rush.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #387 on: October 23, 2014, 12:10:34 PM »
This album as a whole doesn't do much for me, although there are some good songs here (Notably Red Sector A and Distant Early Warning.

I guess this entire period doesn't really do that much for me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #388 on: October 23, 2014, 12:23:04 PM »
Marc, you disappoint me!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Through_the_Camera_Eye

:facepalm:

I disappoint myself, but to my credit, I have never owned or ever even seen this release in person.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #389 on: October 23, 2014, 12:54:17 PM »
This is a really good album, but it gets sandwiched in between a great album (Signals) and one of the greatest albums they've ever done (Power Windows) so it's a bit of a sleeper.

Never cared much for The Enemy Within. Weakest song in the Fear Suite by a wide margin. I used to love The Body Electric, but it hasn't aged very well. It's ok.

All 6 of the other songs are awesome to my ears...even Red Lenses, which seems to get a lot of hate for reasons I can't figure out. I love the wordplay in that song.

Really terrific album...criminally underrated.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #390 on: October 23, 2014, 01:05:35 PM »
Ah, Grace Under Pressure. I love this album! The first half is just a string of classic after classic, filled with dark and foreboding music. The second half is admittedly a little weaker as a whole, but each song has something cool to show for and Between the Wheels is probably my favorite song off the album overall. It's definitely in my Top 10 Rush songs, maybe even Top 5. :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #391 on: October 23, 2014, 01:35:05 PM »
Marc, you disappoint me!

I disappoint myself, but to my credit, I have never owned or ever even seen this release in person.

-Marc.

Who owns tapes anymore anywho?! :lol
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 04:40:18 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #392 on: October 23, 2014, 01:45:31 PM »
Marc, you disappoint me!

-Marc.

How owns tapes anymore anywho?! :lol

I actually own A Show Of Hands on VHS. I bought it way back in like 2005, before Replay X3 came out. :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #393 on: October 23, 2014, 02:01:54 PM »
Not to jump ahead here, but I am still disappointed by the mix on the A Show of Hands DVD.  I think Alex was so annoyed, in retrospect, with his wiry and bright sound of that time period that when he helped mix it for the DVD, he drowned out and/or added some distortion to some of his guitar stuff in the mix, and the overall sound isn't as great as it was on the VHS.  It sucks, too, cause that original live version of Turn the Page on the VHS is by far the best version of that song, and it's not the same on the DVD (and a version from a different night was used on the live CD).

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #394 on: October 23, 2014, 02:11:52 PM »
Ahh, P/g.
That beautiful cover. One of the advantages of being the vinyl days when this came out was that you could appreciate the beauty of the cover. I bought another copy just so that I could frame the cover on my bedroom wall.

This album was much better sounding than Signals. The guitar is back but as you said in the review you can hear every instrument clearly.
Songwise I agree with your review. Side 1 was all awesome. Side 2 was a bit of a mixed bag - it's ok and at least the reggae was gone. Red Lenses is a skipper for me. The solo in Kid Gloves is ace.

Something about that opening lyric in Afterimage touched me like no lyric ever had. The only death I 'd really known at that point was my nana 4 years earlier and I hadn't known how to deal with it or explain it - but Neil opened the door a little.
"Suddeny you were gone, from all the lives you left your mark upon".

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #395 on: October 23, 2014, 02:15:44 PM »
Great album, slightly stronger than Signals IMO... The only songs that don't impress me that much are Red Lenses and Kid Gloves, but the rest of the album is killer, especially the first three songs and Between the Wheels. :hefdaddy

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #396 on: October 23, 2014, 07:05:44 PM »
Love this album, the highlight of the synth era for me. You can hear that they're really comfortable in their new sound at this point. It's like the AFTK of this era. It showcases a refined 80s synth sound in the same way that Kings showed a refined 70s prog rock sound. The songs here are really strong too and this is the best balance of synth and guitar. It's too bad they didn't try to keep this balance on the next two albums.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #397 on: October 23, 2014, 08:48:55 PM »
Afterimage is one of the most powerful songs they've ever done.  I think all the songs are really strong, with the exception of The Enemy Within (again with the upbeat accents...) and the last part of Between The Wheels from the solo on is so good and emotional it almost makes me tear up.  Some of Geddy's best singing.

Agree with others that live Red Sector A has more oomph than the studio version.  Unlike others I really like Red Lenses (surprised no one's mentioned the apocryphal "Everybody can suck my dick" line, ha...) and also Kid Gloves.  I do like the guitar balance on this album, but I don't think the sound on the album is better than Power Windows as some have suggested.  That would be my pick for the best synth-era recording mix by a mile.

I also had the album artwork poster on my wall, the only album art poster I've ever had.

Huge step up from Signals, but they kept moving the right direction during the 80s and refining their sound, and it only continues from here.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #398 on: October 23, 2014, 09:07:27 PM »
Great album, slightly stronger than Signals IMO... The only songs that don't impress me that much are Red Lenses and Kid Gloves, but the rest of the album is killer, especially the first three songs and Between the Wheels. :hefdaddy

Red Lenses is probably my least favorite Rush song.  As a whole, p/g is my favorite Rush album.  I'm a fan of Synth-era Rush (Subdivisions is my favorite song by any band), and I really get into the darker ambiance of the album.

After reading this update, NP: Afterimage  :metal
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #399 on: October 23, 2014, 09:10:16 PM »
Lenses (surprised no one's mentioned the apocryphal "Everybody can suck my dick" line, ha...)
???
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #400 on: October 23, 2014, 09:36:46 PM »

Red Lenses is probably my least favorite Rush song.  As a whole, p/g is my favorite Rush album.  I'm a fan of Synth-era Rush (Subdivisions is my favorite song by any band), and I really get into the darker ambiance of the album.

After reading this update, NP: Afterimage  :metal

Yeah, my favorite on Grace Under Pressure is either Afterimage or Between the Wheels. Both are incredible songs.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #401 on: October 24, 2014, 07:47:40 AM »
Lenses (surprised no one's mentioned the apocryphal "Everybody can suck my dick" line, ha...)
???

during the fadeout at approx the 4:35 mark, Geddy mumbles some words that are unintelligible, but someone thought it sounded like "everybody can suck my dick", and while I don't believe that's what he says, it sure is at least plausible based on how it sounds...

Offline Mosh

« Reply #402 on: October 24, 2014, 12:25:32 PM »
Huh, I kinda hear it now. Just sounds like scat to me though.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #403 on: October 24, 2014, 12:29:17 PM »
Grace Under Pressure is the best album of the "synth era", and Red Sector A is a Top.5 Rush song for me!

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #404 on: October 24, 2014, 12:31:08 PM »
Grace Under Pressure is the best album of the "synth era", and Red Sector A is a Top.5 Rush song for me!

It's a Top 15 Rush song for me, along with Distant Early Warning. Afterimage and Between the Wheels are Top 5 in my book. But yeah, p/g is easily the high water mark of the "Synth era" material.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #405 on: October 24, 2014, 12:54:38 PM »
Yeah, this album is more like it.

I can recognize Alex, Neil and Geddy's musical personalities on this record, even though they're creating music I don't really crave. I think the compositions are much less self-conscious and less derivative too--which is great! So, yes, I enjoyed my listen today and I'll look forward to hearing it again in and other 25 years.  :)

I should live so long.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: Exit...Stage Left
« Reply #406 on: October 24, 2014, 03:29:08 PM »
I know Marc had a great live Rush thread, but to Marc or John, or anyone else, what would be the definitive boots for both the PW and MP tours?

Here's one that many consider to be better than Exit...Stage Left  (and like Exit..., it's not the whole show)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQWYIIV9lbU

A complete show from early in the tour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIl0b4vlpjg

Here's a complete show from one of the shows listed in one of the photos in the Moving Pictures program.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DjcK4_pWmE

Some partials that sound good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC1jHmYWYnA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DjcK4_pWmE

Here are a few from the Moving Pictures Tour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h89aLONWB8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTpvTJYHX2g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVjKAOQHW4U

For those that want to understand why some of us consider Exit...Stage Left to be "lifeless" check these recordings out and pay attention to the energy.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #407 on: October 24, 2014, 03:42:21 PM »
Marc, you disappoint me!

-Marc.

Me of course.

For $6 Marc,  you can have mine. Still the only place you can find videos for Countdown and The Body Electric videos.

Both Signals and Grace Under Pressure are AWESOME!

More extended report coming soon.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #408 on: October 24, 2014, 10:02:11 PM »
Distant Early Warning is a top 5 Rush song for me.  Awesome album

Offline Mladen

« Reply #409 on: October 25, 2014, 04:26:26 AM »
A great album. Just a bunch of great song, and an eerie vibe throughout.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #410 on: October 25, 2014, 05:42:01 AM »
This album is great! A huge step up from Signals. I liked every song, especially Afterimage, Red Sector A (which I already knew) and Beneath The Wheels. I don't get the hate for Red Lenses, it was awesome.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: October 25, 2014, 08:50:36 AM »
Marc, you disappoint me!

-Marc.

Me of course.

For $6 Marc,  you can have mine. Still the only place you can find videos for Countdown and The Body Electric videos.

Both Signals and Grace Under Pressure are AWESOME!

More extended report coming soon.

I'm not sure if mine plays anymore.  It's in storage. down the basement which is the problem but I have not room upstairs.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #412 on: October 25, 2014, 02:39:30 PM »

All 6 of the other songs are awesome to my ears...even Red Lenses, which seems to get a lot of hate for reasons I can't figure out. I love the wordplay in that song.

I don't get the hate for Red Lenses, it was awesome.

Sidebar: I really dislike the use of the word "hate" nowadays.  For some nowadays:

"You don't think a song is as great as I do." = hate

Which, of course, makes me :facepalm:.

Even though it is is my least favorite songs from P/G, I like Red Lenses.  I don't hate it or love it.  Just wanted to clarify that. :biggrin:

Offline billybobjoe1881

« Reply #413 on: October 25, 2014, 04:37:09 PM »
I love P/G.  Yet this is the Rush album I am least likely to grab out and listen to.  When I get in the mood to hear Rush I'm more likely to grab Vapor Trails or Presto, even though I view them as two of the 5 worst albums by Rush. I don't know why this is, it just is.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: Signals
« Reply #414 on: October 26, 2014, 09:51:05 AM »
Having now reached into the mainstream with both hands, thanks to songs like "Tom Sawyer" and "Limelight" being smash rock radio hits, the world was now their oyster, but, instead of going the safe route and doing another Moving Pictures, they continued to evolve, and wanted to step up the keyboards on their next album.  This, however, would clash with longtime producer Terry Brown, who wanted to see the band remain a power trio, hard rock band at heart, but the band was insistent on moving forward and letting the keys became a bigger part of their sound, which led to some clashes during the recording with Brown, who was to them in the studio what George Martin was to The Beatles. As a result, the band's 9th studio album, Signals, was a step back in regards to overall sound and production (although later CD pressings would result in remasters that helped it out a ton).  And it would be the last album produced by a man the band had referred to on more than one occasion as the fourth member of Rush.

However, despite the in-studio struggles and clashes, the album is still pretty damn good, and the songs are there.  "Subdivisions" is arguably THE definitive Rush song of the synth era - it was a minor hit on MTV thanks to a video that got a lot of air play at the time, the diehards love it, and the band has played it on many tours over the years. "New World Man," which was a last minute "Hey, we need a song that is no longer than 3:57 to fill out Side 2 of the record" tune, Project 3:57 if you will, is a nice, catchy tune, and oddly became their biggest hit on the pop charts ever (it went to number 23). Other fan favorites like "The Analog Kid," "The Weapon" and "Digital Man" are all winners, as well.  "Countdown" and "Chemistry" both have their moments, and I enjoy them, even if both have that "dang, they could have been so much better" feeling to them.  Finally, the 2nd-to-last studio-only song, "Losing It," is pretty freaking great. That one was a bit of an afterthought for me for a long time, but one day the light bulb went on and it's been a favorite of mine since.  It was around this time when Neil Peart's lyrics went from great to consistently phenomenal, and "Losing It" is a fine example of this; so is "Subdivisions."

Getting back to the sound, it's hard to know what happened, but I get the sense that it wasn't a strength of Terry Brown's to mix it to where the keys were the dominant instrument.  On an album where the keys were supposed to step up and the guitars were supposed to step back, neither sounds up front enough more often than not, but, like I said, it's still a good-sounding record on the newer remasters; the mixing just could have been better in regards to the two lead instruments.  It's strange, too, cause I've seen the video for "Subdivisions" on Totally 80s a few times, and it's obviously still from the original release, and it sounds like listening to a song on an old transistor radio.  Every time I see the video and hear it, I think, "Is that what the original vinyl release sounded like??" Regardless, I still love Signals a ton, and while it might be my least favorite of the four synth era albums, that doesn't diminish it; that merely speaks to how much more I like the next three.

I adore Signals. I really love that warm organic sound even if it can be bit muddy at times. Other than that it sounds great. The vinyl and the Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs master sound best to me. Signals had been the longest studio album released to date due to "Project 3:57," which in reality became Project "3:41."

Some relevant quotes:

"Basically we didn't want to go in and make another Moving Pictures because that's kind of against everything we've ever done. We made a conscious effort not to play it safe and try to experiment in order to change our sound. It was time to inject some fresh blood."  ---Geddy  (Success Under Pressure)

"That's a conscious decision, because I want to use my voice more. I want to sing more, and it's real hard to sing when you're using all of your energy to stay two octaves above mortal man. It's a lot of work to keep punching your voice up."  -----Geddy  (Keyboard magazine)

"We realized the one element often lacking in our music was feel. And we're finding that working in a shorter framework, which we used to think was the easy way out, isn't really easy at all. It comes down to being confident in our musicianship."   ----Geddy  Success Under Pressure

"I guess that Signals has more to do about writing about people and less about ideals. Permanent Waves was probably our first album that was in touch with reality  -- it was about people dealing with technology instead of  people dealing with some futuristic fantasy world or using symbols for people. Now I'm trying to make those symbols into real people and real conflicts in real people's lives. I still want to write about ideals. I'm not interested in writing about the sewer of life."   -------Neil  (Sounds 1982)

Offline billybobjoe1881

« Reply #415 on: October 26, 2014, 10:19:53 AM »
???

during the fadeout at approx the 4:35 mark, Geddy mumbles some words that are unintelligible, but someone thought it sounded like "everybody can suck my dick", and while I don't believe that's what he says, it sure is at least plausible based on how it sounds...
I just listened to it and it sounds like "Think about it, think, think about it"

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #416 on: October 26, 2014, 10:25:13 AM »
Unhappy with the results of Signals, the band came to the difficult decision that they needed a new producer, meaning longtime producer and friend Terry Brown was out. The band was eager to see how someone else would treat their music, and they wanted someone who could bring ideas to the table that they didn't have already. Their choice ultimately was Steve Lillywhite, but shortly before recording was scheduled to begin, he backed out, and they had to scramble quickly, with Peter Henderson being the pick, which was in good in the sense that, in Geddy's words, he was a very good engineer - the album sounds fantastic - but when it came to being an actual producer, helping with the arrangement of songs and whatnot, he was lacking, and much of that fell on Geddy, who did more work than usual in that regard.  As a result, the album went down as one of their more difficult ones to make, but the results were pretty great.

The album, Grace Under Pressure, the band's 10th studio album, has a dark and cold feel that is a good reflection of the time, and the album cover is very fitting, too, in that regard.  While Signals had an odd mix, this album had a tremendous one, with the hard rock grit that had always defined the band once again being the backbone, while both the guitar and keys were up front and center.  All four main instruments - guitar, bass, drums and keys - are clear as day; it really is a wonderful mix.  As for the songs, it is a great collection of tunes. 

Side 1 is flawless.  "Distant Early Warning," "Afterimage," "Red Sector 'A'," and "The Enemy Within" is a beastly album side, even though I think the studio version of "Red Sector 'A'" pales in comparison to every live version I've heard of it.  Side 2 isn't quite as flawless, even though it ends with "Between the Wheels," which is a highlight of the synth era. On the flip side, the other three tunes on Side 2 are all solid, but none really stand out as complete wholes, even though all have some dynamite moments: the guitar solo in "Kid Gloves;" the lead drums in "The Body Electric;" that pre-chorus drum pattern in "Red Lenses."

Overall, this is an upgrade over Signals on multiple levels, IMO; better vibe, better mix, better flow.  Better songs is a debate, but P/G is just an easier and more enjoyable listen from start to finish.  On its own, without comparing it to the other Rush records, Grace Under Pressure is a really, really good record, and a most worthy addition to the Rush legacy.

Another awesome album, even if it succeeds in giving off a cold and foreboding vibe.

A personal memory about the first time I heard Distant Early Warning on the radio about a month before the album came out. As soon as I heard it, I had this unshakable feeling that the Islanders dynasty was over (which turned out to be true)  That feeling still resonates with me to this day.  I love the bass tone on the vinyl and early CD pressings of this album. The remasters have totally killed the low end off. The time period between Signals and Grace Under Pressure had been the longest between albums at that time.

"With our album Grace Under Pressure, we were in the studio for four and a half months in the dead of winter. It was very cold. We had cabin fever by the end. You get to a dangerous state, you want to finish the record and you want to get out of there. And sometimes that pressure is the wrong kind of pressure. You want to make it great and not in a hurry."   Geddy  (Rush Hour)

"It's a style of writing I've sort of been working towards over the last couple of albums that's, uh, kind of inspired by T.S. Eliot in an indirect way, but that style of pouring so much into it, so many images, and almost flooding the reader or the listener with ideas and images so that you don't seem to grasp anything out of it, but in the end you're left with something, and you're left with a feeling, or uh just an impression of it"   ---Neil    (Off The Record)

The band used a 10 inch action figure they called "Roger Kneebend"  (he's in the liner notes) acted as a producer of the album until they hired Peter Henderson.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #417 on: October 26, 2014, 10:30:56 AM »
???

I just listened to it and it sounds like "Think about it, think, think about it"

It's "Think about it, think, think red"

It goes on a little after that with a sweet bass solo but I can't recall at the moment what else he says.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #418 on: October 26, 2014, 12:26:52 PM »
I love P/G.  Yet this is the Rush album I am least likely to grab out and listen to.  When I get in the mood to hear Rush I'm more likely to grab Vapor Trails or Presto, even though I view them as two of the 5 worst albums by Rush. I don't know why this is, it just is.

That is very weird.  :omg:
The only thing I would reach for Vapour Trails for is to use it as a coaster.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #419 on: October 26, 2014, 01:40:57 PM »
Agreed
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.