Author Topic: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: Epilogue  (Read 85233 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: All the World's a Stage
« Reply #140 on: September 24, 2014, 11:58:15 AM »
As I've said before, I am not much into reviewing live albums, but I don't want to leave them out, since I know some like to talk about them, so I'll just say that All the World's a Stage is a fine first live album, featuring a beastly live rendition of "By-Tor and the Snow Dog."  It also began the trend of them releasing a live album every four albums, which would be the case until the 21st century.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #141 on: September 24, 2014, 12:18:20 PM »
I love this album. A fantastic version of In The End.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #142 on: September 24, 2014, 12:35:51 PM »
There's a sort of youthful, raw intensity in this album that breathes life into their studio material. Geddy's high pitched voice screams through powerfully, just as loud as Alex's guitars or Neil's drums. Everything presented here is at the height of these early years, and everything from "By-Tor And The Snow Dog" to "2112" is perfectly captured. Though there are only 2 songs from COS, they're played very well, especially the exceptional opener of "Bastille Day". Great live album and a wonderful way to cap off the band's first four albums and first two years together.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: September 24, 2014, 06:08:56 PM »
I love this album. A fantastic version of In The End.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #144 on: September 27, 2014, 12:37:40 PM »
Having attained total creative control and a lot of new fans in the process, Rush set about exanding their sound a bit as they prepared to go into the studio to make another album in the summer of '77.  Both Geddy and Alex would start using bass pedals more regularly, enabling them to multi-task as stage, as Geddy would start playing keyboards a little bit on stage, while both would utilize double-neck guitars on "Xanadu." Plus, Neil added some, what he called "keyboard percussion, to his already expanding drum kit - bells, chimes, etc. Those new elements to his drum kit would be featured prominently on the majority of songs on their 5th studio album. 

Containing only six songs, like its predecessor, A Farewell to Kings was another ambitious effort, featuring two 10-minute plus epics, "Xanadu" and "Cygnus X-1"; two rockers in "Cinderella Man" and "A Farewell to Kings" that explored their growing-interest in dynamic shifts between acoustic and electric sections; the equally dynamic "Closer to the Heart," which remains a classic rock favorite and one of their catchiest tunes ever; and another ballad-type tune as the 2nd last track in "Madrigal."  Despite only having six songs and being around 38 minutes, this record still has a unique diversity that makes it really stand out.

Even though this is my least favorite of the Big 5 (1976-1981 albums), I still love this record to pieces.  "Xanadu" is a top 3 Rush tune in my book, and four of the others are all terrific, as well. I have never been a big fan of "Madrigal," although I would never call it a bad song; I am just not a fan. The elements they incorporated into their sound are on full display in "Xanadu,"as we get plenty of Neil's new sounds, both Geddy and Alex playing double necks, not to mention the first Rush song  to really feature synthesizers prominently, and to great melodic effect. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #145 on: September 27, 2014, 01:54:21 PM »
As was mentioned earlier in the thread, sometimes it's hard to comment on these things as it seems you've commented on them to death, and that certainly is the case with me. However I must take a moment to say A Farewell to Kings is my favorite album of all time, Xanadu is a top 3 song from ANY band for me, and the album inspired my first tattoo, an image they used on merchandise for the album and one I've always loved.

Edit: This album also holds the record for album I own the most formats of: CD, vinyl, 8-track, cassette, and 5.1 DVD.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #146 on: September 27, 2014, 06:33:03 PM »
A Farewell to Kings is most definitely my favorite Rush album of all time. It's grown on me immensely even since it first touched my ears, and I liked it quite a bit then anyways. Cygnus X-1 Book 1 is a good contender for my favorite Rush ever--tied possibly with 2112.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #147 on: September 27, 2014, 07:39:34 PM »
Killer album.  A very solid start to the next phase of their career, and of the evolution of their sound.  Rush continued to push themselves and existing rock boundaries in new ways, while still making amazing music all the while.  Pop, prog, mellow, rockin', it's all Rush.  It's all good.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #148 on: September 27, 2014, 08:07:19 PM »
Top 5 Rush album material, right here. The opening title-track is one of their proggier songs under 10-minutes, while the longer epics are two of their best. "Xanadu" remains one of my favorites of theirs and has been for the over-12 years I've been in love with Rush. "Cygnus X-1: Book 1 - The Voyage" is a roaring, heavy epic with some very unique and playful multi-meter parts, as well as some of Geddy's highest vocals to date!

The three shortest songs on here are a lot stronger than the shorter tunes on Side B of 2112, especially the classic rock radio hit, "Closer To The Heart", which has seen its fair share of transformations on stage over the decades. The initial-tour-only-played track "Cinderella Man" is another story by Neil, based on literature, and it works pretty well, although I'll never understand why it was an encore on the AFTK Tour. And "Madrigal" was an  interesting piece by Geddy that was soothing enough. Some might call it filler, but it's Rush exploring what they can do with all their new-found equipment.

Overall, this is a huge step-up from their last couple albums, and a great step in a good direction for them. Coupled with Hemispheres, these two albums are some of the best 75-80 minutes of Rush you could ever put on a single CD-r.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: September 27, 2014, 08:36:46 PM »
This entire album is terrific

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #150 on: September 27, 2014, 09:25:40 PM »
To me, this albums is the beginning of Rush's "sound".  I pleasure to listen to.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jammindude

« Reply #151 on: September 27, 2014, 09:33:45 PM »
Nick...I have yet to hear a single review from ANYONE about ANY of the 5.1 remixes from the sector boxed sets.  How are they? 

I'm not sure if it's just because not too many people bought them or what. ???

I'm right there with Kev on this one.  I love it immensely, but it's low on my list of the big 5.  (actually, 2112 probably takes my award for least favorite of the big 5, but not by much and I still love it)   Madrigal is enjoyable, but pretty much filler.  Completely sick of Closer to the Heart.  The four other songs are all top notch.   Xanadu is a classic, and CXI is the prelude to the greatest Rush song ever, and the 2nd greatest song in rock history in my book. To me, it's not even a prelude...it's just a single song that had to be split into two parts due to the restrictions of the time. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #152 on: September 28, 2014, 04:53:11 AM »
Listening again for the first time in years.  This album is just killer.  Great, great stuff.  Rush was really coming into their own at this point.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #153 on: September 28, 2014, 05:57:15 AM »
My least favorite "classic" era album... I love Xanadu to death, the title-track is pretty awesome and CTTH and Cygnus are good, but Cinderella Man and Madrigal are just filler tracks IMO.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #154 on: September 28, 2014, 07:23:41 AM »

Overall, this is a huge step-up from their last couple albums, and a great step in a good direction for them. Coupled with Hemispheres, these two albums are some of the best 75-80 minutes of Rush you could ever put on a single CD-r.

-Marc.

Back when I was first getting into Rush, a friend burned me a lot of what I didn't have onto CDs, and he included A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres on the same disc. And yeah, talk about one CD worth of amazing material... it's never been topped since.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Mladen

« Reply #155 on: September 28, 2014, 08:25:52 AM »
Seems like most of us agree that this is the least great of their classic five albums, although I might go with Hemispheres - but I still like them both. It's still a pretty neat record, especially Cygnus X-1. I went through a phase of not really caring about Xanadu, however it's a damn great song now that I think about it. And yes, Closer to the heart is a great short Rush hit, but they would make plenty of better ones when they cut down on song lengths on their subsequent albums.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: September 28, 2014, 09:03:07 AM »
Brilliant album, and Xanadu is in my Top 3 of Rush songs.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #157 on: September 28, 2014, 11:33:53 AM »
This is one awesome album, the title track, Xanadu and Cygnus x-1 are the best tracks  :metal
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #158 on: September 28, 2014, 11:49:32 AM »
No 3 in my top 50. My favourite Rush album and only bettered by I&W and Mindcrime and lets face it, the difference is miniscule.
I love every note of this album and wouldn't change anything.
Cygnus X-1 is the top of the bunch but it's all just awesome.

When I first played this album I was getting it on with a girl and when Cygnus started the record stuck and looped on the spacey sounds and I didn't realise. I had a vague thought that something wasn't right but hey, I was otherwise occupied  :biggrin: I soon realised Rush wasn't really makeout music though.
Thanks to my mate Mick's brother Steve who introduced me to this masterpiece. I fell inlove with Rush there and then.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #159 on: September 28, 2014, 08:15:01 PM »
Hard to add something new to what everyone else has said already, but here goes:

This is the Rush album that I like Geddy's bass tone and mix the best on, and the one by which I think I implicitly measure all other rock records.  Maybe just because it's so prominent, I don't know, but the bass really adds to this album.

While I like Hemispheres slightly better as an album, I wish it had the warmth that this has.  Hemispheres just sounds too cold and distant, but this one, this sounds so great.  Xanadu is clearly in the top handful of all Rush songs, and the title track doesn't get enough love in my opinion.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #160 on: October 01, 2014, 12:21:21 AM »
Will add more thoughts and stories on this (and ATWAS) later when I'm back home, but this (as with Paul) is my #3 album of all time. Easily my favorite of their 'big-5'.  Xanadu ties for #1 Rush song, and a definite top 5 song of all time for me.

Great story btw, Paul. Can't imagine anyone making out to Rush.   :rollin
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #161 on: October 01, 2014, 06:25:38 AM »
This is a great album that even I tend to underrate. Xanadu is my second favorite Rush song.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #162 on: October 01, 2014, 11:53:54 AM »
Hard to add something new to what everyone else has said already, but here goes:

This is the Rush album that I like Geddy's bass tone and mix the best on, and the one by which I think I implicitly measure all other rock records.  Maybe just because it's so prominent, I don't know, but the bass really adds to this album.

While I like Hemispheres slightly better as an album, I wish it had the warmth that this has.  Hemispheres just sounds too cold and distant, but this one, this sounds so great.  Xanadu is clearly in the top handful of all Rush songs, and the title track doesn't get enough love in my opinion.

I agree Nic. I was saving the production comparison for the Hemispheres update. Hemispheres sounds dull to me - not to mention the title track is nowhere near the quality of Cygnus and I can't stand the twee lyrics. Peart's worst lyrical epic for me, but I'm getting ahead of myself.
Will add more thoughts and stories on this (and ATWAS) later when I'm back home, but this (as with Paul) is my #3 album of all time. Easily my favorite of their 'big-5'.  Xanadu ties for #1 Rush song, and a definite top 5 song of all time for me.

Well it's not recommended  :lol that unintentionally looping space noise was very offputting  :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #163 on: October 01, 2014, 12:20:03 PM »
Nick...I have yet to hear a single review from ANYONE about ANY of the 5.1 remixes from the sector boxed sets.  How are they? 

They are not exactly revolutionary, but certainly an improvement. In general the sound quality of the HD audio is the biggest improvement, with the surround being a nice little add on. It's tough to say that someone should buy the box sets, because frankly I hate these types of boxsets from the packaging (redoing hard case albums in cheep throwaway sleeves) to the blatant addition of new stuff with mostly old stuff. That said Fly By Night and A Farewell to Kings especially stand out as an upgrade. I *really* wish they would have done these sets as at least HD remastered audio to really make them stand out as a good new release.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: October 01, 2014, 01:08:24 PM »

I agree Nic. I was saving the production comparison for the Hemispheres update. Hemispheres sounds dull to me - not to mention the title track is nowhere near the quality of Cygnus and I can't stand the twee lyrics. Peart's worst lyrical epic for me, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Well it's not recommended  :lol that unintentionally looping space noise was very offputting  :lol

Well you were trying to get into a black hole so.............. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jammindude

« Reply #165 on: October 01, 2014, 01:30:24 PM »

They are not exactly revolutionary, but certainly an improvement. In general the sound quality of the HD audio is the biggest improvement, with the surround being a nice little add on. It's tough to say that someone should buy the box sets, because frankly I hate these types of boxsets from the packaging (redoing hard case albums in cheep throwaway sleeves) to the blatant addition of new stuff with mostly old stuff. That said Fly By Night and A Farewell to Kings especially stand out as an upgrade. I *really* wish they would have done these sets as at least HD remastered audio to really make them stand out as a good new release.

Cool...thanks for the feedback (pun intended!)...maybe I'll see if any of them end up on Ebay for cheap.   :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: Hemispheres
« Reply #166 on: October 02, 2014, 02:29:55 PM »
Following the grueling touring schedule they maintained while touring on A Farewell to Kings, the band jumped right back in the studio to record their 6th album, which would become Hemispheres.  By this time, the band was at the height of their prog rock eagerness, shown by the fact that this record would have only four songs, including the title track, which would become their third, and final, sidelong epic, as well as their epic instrumental "La Villa Strangiato."

The funny thing about this album is they wrote much of the material in a key that proved difficult for Geddy Lee to sing in, so the vocals took a bit of time to get right, and ended up being probably the highest of his career when looking at each album collectively; his high vocals are up in the rafters on this one. :lol

But, it was all worth it, as Hemispheres, despite being only a little over 36 minutes, is a beast of a record.  The title track, which encompasses all of Side 1, is pretty great, it being a continuation of the Cygnus X-1 story of sorts, although the focus is exploration is of the different types of the human mind, with Greek mythology and science fiction used to metaphorically tell the story.  While the whole song is great, I've always had a personal affinity for the Armageddon section; something about that section is just so on the money.

Side 2 kicks off with two short tunes, the rocker "Circumstances" and the dynamic "The Trees," the latter of which features a lyric that Neil Peart has since called trite on more than one occasion, but I tend to think of it as a metaphorical look at the hierarchy of man.  The album closer, the epic instrumental "La Villa Strangiato," is arguably Alex Lifeson's signature song to date, and for good reason, as his playing has never been more raw, more powerful and more precise; it is everything that makes him a great player summed up in less than 10 minutes.  Even better, it shows how great his playing is in it when you almost overlook the other two, especially Peart, who puts on a jaw-dropping performance as well. This song is always a treat to see live, and if they played it at every show till the day they retire, I'd be fine with it.

Overall, I'd call this probably my 4th favorite of the Big 5, and probably my 6th favorite Rush album overall.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #167 on: October 02, 2014, 02:36:02 PM »
For me , it's no contest.  This is the greatest rock album in history.   (Haken's The Mountain is quickly climbing the charts...but...)

Until I heard Supper's Ready, CXI:Book 2 was my all time favorite song in rock history, it's still my #2 to this day.   There's not a note of this album I don't love and cherish.  I call a lot of albums "damn near perfect", but this album *IS* perfect.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: October 02, 2014, 02:38:42 PM »
This is my favorite album by Rush bar none.

Alex's guitar tone and playing are the best of his career, IMO. I love the crunch tone on Circumstances. And what more can be said about his solos during La Villa Strangiato that hasn't been said a million times. If your eyes don't close in orgasmic ecstasy during the first solo and your eyes don't bung-out  :omg: during the second solo I'm willing to bet that you don't love guitar music!

This is the last album where I loved every note that Geddy sings.

Great, great, album that I'm always excited to listen to. Even after all these years.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #169 on: October 02, 2014, 02:42:04 PM »
This is my favorite Rush album.  Glorious, glorious, glorious.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #170 on: October 02, 2014, 02:44:24 PM »
Yay for Hemispheres!  I heard from Beyond the Lighted Stage documentary (or probably somewhere else) that it took them the amount of time it took to create Fly By Night album (I think) just to record La Villa Strangiato which eventually made them evaluate how long they can go on about making albums the way they were making albums which eventually led to the next two, but we can save that for later.

Still, Four songs from this album, but killer songs.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #171 on: October 02, 2014, 03:02:23 PM »
Lonely dissenter here.  :corn

A poor follow up to a great album. Side 2 > side 1.
I love side 2. The two shorter songs are great and LVS is just  :hefdaddy. The title track is a bit of a mess and doesn't deserve to be linked to the awesomeness of Cygnus X-1. As I said earlier I just don't like the lyrics.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: October 02, 2014, 03:02:57 PM »
My 4th favorite album from Rush and it's worth of being #1.  This album never seems stale to me no matter how many times I've played it since I got it 33 years ago.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #173 on: October 02, 2014, 05:30:17 PM »
This is where Rush went full-blown prog, which I thought was awesome.  They were great as a power trio (a term you don't hear much anymore, but which was common in the 70's) and transformed into a "power prog trio" in just a few years.  Bravo!

This was also the first time I saw them live.  It was an amazing show.  After the opening band (New England, who were also very good), they came out and played "2112".  The live version, five movements instead of all seven, but still, it was mind-blowing that this was their opening song.  In the darkness, we heard the taped opening sound effects to "2112" and they took the stage while it was dark.  Then they dove into the "Overture" and on into "The Temples of Syrinx".  When Geddy started singing, there were three insanely bright yellow lights behind them, one behind each of them.  They were low behind the stage, so they weren't blinding; they shined up into the rafters, and we could really only see the guys in silhouette.  After "The Temples of Syrinx" the question was whether they'd continue the suite, and if so, would it be the whole thing?  Alex started "Discovery" and the question was answered.

The lighting had changed, more subdued, as the song had a different mood to it, but whenever "the priests" spoke (sang), those bright yellow lights came on again.  "Yes we know, it's nothing new!"  It was how the priests were symbolized.  They carried on with "Soliloquy" and "Grand Finale".  Wow, what an opening song!

Geddy said "Good Evening" and a few other brief words, then they started "Cygnus X-1 Book 1: The Voyage".  At the end, during the spacey taped sounds, Geddy says "We'd like to welcome you to Side One of our new album.  This is called Hemispheres."  And they played "Hemispheres" all the way through.  It was amazing.  Nearly 50 minutes into the show, they've played three songs so far.

Then Geddy said the real greetings.  Once again, good evening.  Talked about how great it was to be back, etc. etc.

I don't remember exactly what the rest of the set list was, but I will never forget how they opened with that amazing back-to-back-to-back killer combination.  Wow.  I know they played "La Villa Strangiato"; it may have been the encore.  Incredible night.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #174 on: October 02, 2014, 06:10:13 PM »
Hemispheres has been and will always be my favorite Rush album.