Author Topic: New DT album 2015?  (Read 52405 times)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: New DT album 2015?
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2014, 08:38:10 PM »
It seems like they have a pretty good idea of what the next album is gonna be like already. I remember JP said something about "planting seeds" for new material. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a concept album next. The topic keeps coming up and the band seems really interested in doing one; seeing how reinvigorated they have become with writing, now would be the perfect time. They made their "bold/defining" statement with DT12, time to take it to the next level.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2014, 08:49:16 PM »
As long as this album is better, I'll be happy.

Better than all of them, and if this ends up being a concept album, it is possible. They've heard the fans complain about EVERYTHING, and are getting closer to them, therefore seeing some of our complaints and MAYBE acting on them. Breaking the Fourth Wall was mixed by Rich C. IIRC, and as far as we know, it sounds amazing. Maybe they are starting to realize what they've been doing wrong sonically these past few albums. The conciseness of their music, the intentionally shorter songs are a step in the right direction. The drumming is great, but I think Mangini should be unleashed in a different way this album. He really DOES have groove, but it's not on a DT album yet. Maybe that will change.

:lucien:
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2014, 09:25:50 PM »
They actually have started doing that a bit.  According to the band, some of ideas for DT12 came from stuff they developed on the road on the ADTOE tour.
That's good.

Am I the only one that remembers that?  It was mentioned in an interview somewhere.  Or maybe in one of the live chats they did.

The live chat they mentioned it and JP even teased with a listen to an unreleased jam session song.....and Mangini mentioned in an interview that he and Myung came up with the hard intro to Behind the Veil while jamming at a sound check.

They're friggin' DT....they can write and record songs however the  :censored they want. Certainly deep down we all pine for some sort of 'fresh' sound from them....something they haven't done yet....but seriously, take a listen to their catalog and tell me there isn't a sound...style...or mood they haven't written?

They are at the phase of their career where sitting around for 4 years searching for the perfect note will do nothing but harm them...they need to produce music....keep it coming....stay on tour and make some cashola.

Their music is great....every time. The last two albums IMO are far better than the last two with MP and given that they grow more comfortable by the moment with MM each album they record with him can only get better.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2014, 02:29:55 AM »
I think it might be cool if they did something they've never done before - something that stands out from the rest of the albums in their catalog, like a two part concept album. Coheed and Cambria did that with their last album "The Afterman", and I thought it was a super cool thing to do. They released the two parts with a few months in between them and it was a cool way to digest a lot of music cause we didn't have to do it all at once. There was a little bit of a breather in between.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2014, 08:11:55 AM »
The problem with that is it would lead to endless :

"Which album is better?"

"What if they were one album? Choose a track list "

"Is DT14 all the filler from DT13?"

Type threads.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #75 on: September 04, 2014, 08:18:30 AM »
Well it's not like we need a double concept album to make silly threads on the DT-side now, do we.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: September 04, 2014, 09:36:49 AM »
The problem with that is it would lead to endless :

"Which album is better?"

"What if they were one album? Choose a track list "

Well, we had those with ADTOE and DT12, so I don't really see any problem here. Gonna happen anyway.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2014, 09:49:12 AM »
If they did something like six degrees with one "clasic DT" album and one "experimenting DT" album I may be happy.

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #78 on: September 04, 2014, 09:58:50 AM »
I know for sure they will not let me down!!! To me, the guys are at their top right now!!! Bliiiind faith I have in yoooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!

(...which direction will you choose? ;D)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2014, 10:08:38 AM »
I think I agree with most folks here. Please, not another "this is DT to the max, the album is composed by all the elements that make us who we are, it's heavy, melodic, progressive and very DT!". It's probably what we're getting, but it's already been 3 albums of that dynamic. I know the band is in a safe and comfortable spot and they're incredibly happy... so happy that in points their interviews are becoming somewhat boring to read... "everything is bliss in DT land, we get along great, the tour is going great, our fans are great, everything's great!"... you know, that's a good thing, I'm really happy for them, but it's a little bit too much at times  :lol

I would be happy if they took another SDOIT Disc 1 approach, very happy. Probably not getting it and I'm still going to support the band no matter what, but hey. Things change  :D
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #80 on: September 04, 2014, 10:21:50 AM »
Is it just me who feels that the whole 2-year album cycle is getting a bit predictable now? I mean, they've followed exactly the same sort of schedule for two albums running now. Studio in January, album release in September, tour for the next year-and-a-bit, rinse and repeat.

And even threads like this add to it. It's almost like we're expecting them to do exactly the same thing for DT13. I worry that the band could either burn out (they're not getting any younger) or release something sub-par just because it's the expected time for them to release an album.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #81 on: September 04, 2014, 10:23:52 AM »
I want a blackened doom album from them.

In all seriousness though, I think it'd be cool to get a concept album that mood wise was more like Awake. Not asking for another Awake, and they're probably not in the place mentally seeing how happy they are these days to write something with a mood like that, but I'd find it a pleasant surprise. Either way I was happy with ADTOE, and S/T was fantastic in my books so they'll have to pull up some Train of Thought type stuff to make me an unhappy camper.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #82 on: September 04, 2014, 10:25:29 AM »
I want DT13 to be the honeybadger of DT albums, where they just don't give a shit and do whatever the fuck they feel like.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #83 on: September 04, 2014, 10:28:03 AM »
I think one thing I really don't want to hear though is lengthy, tedious instrumental sections again. It got pretty bad on albums before the last two, which I felt reigned them into substantially better. A Nightmare to Remember would be a much much much better song if like half of it got chopped off.

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #84 on: September 04, 2014, 11:05:31 AM »
I think one thing I really don't want to hear though is lengthy, tedious instrumental sections again. It got pretty bad on albums before the last two, which I felt reigned them into substantially better. A Nightmare to Remember would be a much much much better song if like half of it got chopped off.

While that is true:
-ADTOE had just as many instrumental sections as its predecessors, but they were for the most part much better received.
-DT12, in my opinion, didn't have enough instrumental sections, probably because they wanted shorter songs. While I don't think any of the songs on the album would benefit from an added instrumental section, I did feel a general shortage of good instrumental sections in the album as a whole.
D - D/F# - G - D - Bm - Bm/A - E/G# - A

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #85 on: September 04, 2014, 11:22:56 AM »

While that is true:
-ADTOE had just as many instrumental sections as its predecessors, but they were for the most part much better received.
-DT12, in my opinion, didn't have enough instrumental sections, probably because they wanted shorter songs. While I don't think any of the songs on the album would benefit from an added instrumental section, I did feel a general shortage of good instrumental sections in the album as a whole.
I think what I liked about the instrumental sections in the last two is that they never really overstayed their welcome imo, they were able to reign them in to what was called for, I'm not bothered by the amount of instrumental sections as long as they're justified and actually add to the song.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: September 04, 2014, 11:46:27 AM »
I'd be happy with another DT12 style album as long as the production was like Octavarium and the drums sounded nicer.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #87 on: September 04, 2014, 12:00:34 PM »
They actually have started doing that a bit.  According to the band, some of ideas for DT12 came from stuff they developed on the road on the ADTOE tour.

If I remember correctly, they came up with the beginning and end of IT during the ADTOE tour.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #88 on: September 04, 2014, 01:28:48 PM »
Don't go changing to try and please me, you never let me down before. Don't imagine, you're too familiar,
And I don't see you anymore.
 Don't go trying, some new fashion,
Don't change the color of your hair, you always have my, unspoken passion,
Although I might not seem to care.

I don't want clever, conversation, I just want riffs that make me hard.
I just want someone, that I can rock with
I want you just the way you are.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline theaterdream

« Reply #89 on: September 04, 2014, 05:59:46 PM »
I would be okay with a concept album. I have been listening to SDOIT lately and I would also be cool with a double album with more straight forward tracks on 1 disc and more experimental ones on another.

If I could make a wishlist of sorts here is what I would wish for on the next release:

- more incredible singing from James in the style of their last 2 albums. I don't know  what it is but his singing is great on ADOTE and DT. Could it be they are writing more to his strengths and more within his comfort zone? There is very little shouting or moments where it sounds like the notes are not right or something.

- slow the overall tempo down. Most of DT sounded fast to me. While I love the album I do not like TEI at all and the intro track and EM are two instrumentals by them that I just don't care for much. I just don't like a lot of continuous double bass on the drums where all it sounds like is Mike is running.  It seems to me Mike is drumming so fast on this album.

-in my opinion all the members of DT are some of the best musicians in the world. I would like less craziness on guitars and keyboards. I know you guys are brilliant but less is more sometimes.  For instance, I sort of like ANTR from BCSL but its just too crazy in the second half.

- I hope the grunting or shouting vocals in the background never come back.

- At times I really miss Kevin Moore s style of playing. So atmospheric,  so subtle at times. Just so beautiful and serene. Like the music has plenty of room to breathe.

- The drums on SDOIT sound great...they sound naturally like they should. On DT they sound digital or electronic. I don't know how to explain it.

- Could James' singing be more up front? The overall sound on DT sounds overbearing. It's too loud. James voice seems so lost on it.

- I like the slower more melodic side of DT. Lets have more of that please.

Looking forward to DT13!

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #90 on: September 04, 2014, 07:05:41 PM »
Is it just me who feels that the whole 2-year album cycle is getting a bit predictable now? I mean, they've followed exactly the same sort of schedule for two albums running now. Studio in January, album release in September, tour for the next year-and-a-bit, rinse and repeat.

And even threads like this add to it. It's almost like we're expecting them to do exactly the same thing for DT13. I worry that the band could either burn out (they're not getting any younger) or release something sub-par just because it's the expected time for them to release an album.

Well I like to think that DT are okay with this cycle, or they would already have taken a break. And if that's the case, who cares how predictable we think it is? So long as we're not imposing our expectations for the band to release something, but with this kind of history we'll naturally try and predict when the next album will be coming out. Like other's have said, changing this cycle just for the sake of doing something different isn't necessarily in DTs best interest. They should stick to what they believe in, and if they feel like taking a break then sweet as, take a break. But I don't see why it would make a difference to them as composers at this point other than there being less writing for everyone.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: September 05, 2014, 03:30:30 AM »

Well I like to think that DT are okay with this cycle, or they would already have taken a break. And if that's the case, who cares how predictable we think it is? So long as we're not imposing our expectations for the band to release something, but with this kind of history we'll naturally try and predict when the next album will be coming out. Like other's have said, changing this cycle just for the sake of doing something different isn't necessarily in DTs best interest. They should stick to what they believe in, and if they feel like taking a break then sweet as, take a break. But I don't see why it would make a difference to them as composers at this point other than there being less writing for everyone.

I agree. As long as the music is still good, who cares when the album comes out or how predictable it may be?  I like how they work ona schedule personally because then I know I will be getting some fresh DT tunes every couple of years and it hasnt failed.  Now if the band were to feel burned out, I think they would want to take a break and do so.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: September 05, 2014, 03:48:40 AM »
I wish more bands did the two year thing.

I can think of one band who has released two albums in 17 years ( and counting )

and neither of them were any good.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #93 on: September 05, 2014, 10:39:53 AM »
As long as the song-writing shows it, I see no problem with the two year-cycle they've been running on. An understandable concern is the possibility of it draining their creativity or ideas, in which case, a break is well warranted.

But that hasn't happened with DT, at least not yet. DT12 still feels pretty new so if DT13 didn't come out till 2016, that's totally fine by me.

Offline tuto

« Reply #94 on: September 05, 2014, 11:54:33 AM »
I wish more bands did the two year thing.

I can think of one band who has released two albums in 17 years ( and counting )

and neither of them were any good.

'Tallica?

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #95 on: September 05, 2014, 02:34:16 PM »
Hopefully they'll be another new record out in '15. Will it be much of A departure from the previous two efforts? Doubtful, but I'm sure it'll still be good. I don't expect "great" from DT anymore since MP left, but "good" will suffice. I'd love another concept album or a real changeup and maybe do a "Floyd-esque" kind of album. We'll see. I'd like to see a real "prog" album and less shredding on the next one too.

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #96 on: September 05, 2014, 02:50:49 PM »
I'd really like less pop and metal influences and a bit more atmosphere and jazz influence with more focus on creating real beauty and emotion in the same way that I feel parts of Scenes and Octavarium accomplished. I could definitely go for some more piano sounds and acoustic guitar, and more meticulously crafted songs like Trial of Tears and A Change of Seasons. I would love it if they played around with strings and guest musicians more; Octavarium and DT12 both had some strings but I feel that a band like DT can definitely make more extensive use of them, especially now with Eren.

Sonically, I hope they're responsive enough to their fans to make some changes, because it seems like they're headed in the wrong direction as far as production is concerned...  What I'd really like is a crisp, natural sound like Six Degrees.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: September 05, 2014, 02:57:56 PM »
As long as the song-writing shows it, I see no problem with the two year-cycle they've been running on. An understandable concern is the possibility of it draining their creativity or ideas, in which case, a break is well warranted.

But that hasn't happened with DT, at least not yet. DT12 still feels pretty new so if DT13 didn't come out till 2016, that's totally fine by me.

Plus they always say that with so many virtuosos in the band - they're never short of ideas - be it writing on their own - or when jamming in the studio.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #98 on: September 05, 2014, 06:13:24 PM »
They should let Jordan create atmospheric tracks for some tracks, like periphery do with Jake Bowen, for example. We know Jordan Masters the art of atmospher-ing (?) and also he is very interested in electronic music aswell. That could be refreshing.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #99 on: September 06, 2014, 06:46:40 AM »
They should let Jordan create atmospheric tracks for some tracks, like periphery do with Jake Bowen, for example. We know Jordan Masters the art of atmospher-ing (?) and also he is very interested in electronic music aswell. That could be refreshing.

Case in point, the intro of Behind The Veil.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #100 on: September 06, 2014, 09:12:27 AM »

Case in point, the intro of Behind The Veil.

That's exactly why I wrote that. But there's plenty of examples of Jordan doing this.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #101 on: September 06, 2014, 09:59:15 AM »
I will repeat was some others have said and say that I don't care what they do, as long as it is good. It is their band after all.

Sonically, I hope they're responsive enough to their fans to make some changes, because it seems like they're headed in the wrong direction as far as production is concerned...  What I'd really like is a crisp, natural sound like Six Degrees.

Have you heard 'The Looking Glass' from BtFW? it looks like DT are listening to the fans there, as the sound is vastly superior to LaLP there. Also, look at SDoIT here:

https://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/year/desc?artist=dream+theater

SDoIT is in the "bad" category with a Dynamic Range of 7. For comparison, DT12 is only one lower with a DR of 6. It's not like they've fallen ridiculously far in 12 years. Plus, with the HDTracks version of DT12 having a DR of 12, it leaves SDoIT looking a little suffocated, especially in something like 'The Glass Prison', where it clips at the FIRST BASS DRUM! Also, when the tom beat comes in at about 1:50, I swear that the guitar goes to about half its previous volume like it's struggling to breathe! Not such a great start for an album supposedly having a crisp, natural sound!

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE SDoIT, but whenever someone says that it sounds amazing, I get a little confused. Does minimal dynamic range  just not damage SDoIT as much as other albums? FII gets this treatment as well; look at the waveforms! the heavier moments don't look much better than this:

Sorry for that rant, but so many people say that when what I hear doesn't match up at all.

The best sounding DT albums for me would be IaW and 'Awake'. 'Awake' especially sounds fantastic, as it has a more natural sound than IaW, even if it's a bit cold sounding (but it is quite a dark album so that suits it well). ACoS also sounds pretty good, but the snare sound lets it down. I wouldn't mind DT13 sounding close to one of those, although I'm aware that it's quite a stretch to say it will as they all have a sound of their time, as does DT12.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #102 on: September 06, 2014, 10:44:48 AM »
Meh. Show me all the waveforms you want; I love SDOIT's sound.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline 02T

« Reply #103 on: September 06, 2014, 10:46:35 AM »
I just can't figure out why JP can write and record an album with DT in roughly 4 and a half minutes, but it seems to take a decade for the next solo album.
bradbaileymusic.com
Facebook.com/BradBaileyGTR
Twitter @BradBaileyGTR

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #104 on: September 06, 2014, 10:51:36 AM »
I just can't figure out why JP can write and record an album with DT in roughly 4 and a half minutes, but it seems to take a decade for the next solo album.

When you factor in the time they take to write/record an album (which is actually many months), plus the tour for each album (including preparing beforehand), that doesn't leave huge stretches of free time.
And I expect they'd want to spend as much of that free time as possible with their families, rather than squeeze in yet more time for writing and recording an album, which would have to be around the same time as recording the DT album, so that's a lot of time spent in the studio to make that happen.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.