Author Topic: New DT album 2015?  (Read 52362 times)

Offline Sycsa

Re: New DT album 2015?
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2014, 05:33:26 PM »
To me the more time goes on, the more it vindicates Mike. They should have taken a break. Maybe not 5 years but I would rather be here today with BC&SL as their last album, still with Mike on drums. Just me.
Yeah, you're probably the only one. Even though I'm a huge MP fan, I wouldn't for a second entertain an idea where he's still in the band and we have no ADTOE & DT12.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline JPX

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2014, 05:35:26 PM »
To me the more time goes on, the more it vindicates Mike. They should have taken a break. Maybe not 5 years but I would rather be here today with BC&SL as their last album, still with Mike on drums. Just me.
Yeah, you're probably the only one.

Nah, I know plenty of DT fans that feel exactly the same way.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2014, 05:38:22 PM »
Yeah, you're probably the only one. Even though I'm a huge MP fan, I wouldn't for a second entertain an idea where he's still in the band and we have no ADTOE & DT12.
He's right. Portnoy should have tried to take a break, but like 5 years before. So SC and BC&SL would not exist and Mangini would have join the band in like 2008 :biggrin:

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2014, 05:39:36 PM »
I want the bass to be louder than on DT12, which was definitely an improvement over like half the albums they've made.

I want both the keyboards and guitar to be SLIGHTLY less showy, a la Surrounded and These Walls.

I want the drum parts to show how innovative Mike is, not how blazing fast he is.

I want the production to be clearer than Falling Into Infinity.

I can bet none of these will happen though. I ANY of them happen I will be pleased.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2014, 05:47:16 PM »

Yeah, you can usually find them in the YouTube comment sections. I also know plenty of DT fans who say everything after Kevin Moore is crap, which I give just as much credit to.

Surprisingly, the initial reaction to DT12 on MP's forums was overwhelmingly positive, even more so than here.

Offline JPX

« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2014, 05:49:00 PM »
He's right. Portnoy should have tried to take a break, but like 5 years before. So SC and BC&SL would not exist and Mangini would have join the band in like 2008 :biggrin:

We're all entitled to our own opinions my friend.

It's ironic that SC is more stale then BC&SL because I think MP recognized the decline long before he verbalized it.

I am of the opinion that the have been declining since the release of Octavarium. If DT had released ToT then released an album in 2006...2010...and 2014...I think we'd be in a much better place right now.

Offline JPX

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2014, 05:50:10 PM »

Yeah, you can usually find them in the YouTube comment sections. I also know plenty of DT fans who say everything after Kevin Moore is crap, which I give just as much credit to.

So you're saying people are wrong in their opinions? Maybe only the people that post here are valid?

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2014, 06:06:37 PM »
An opinion cannot be wrong by definition, but everyone is entitled to value other people's opinions as they please. I don't care for those opinions since they don't bring anything constructive or interesting to the table other than pointless nagging. From where I'm standing, erasing two DT albums (widely regarded as better than the 2-4 albums that preceded them), two live releases and a couple of hundred concerts from history just to bring back a burnt out Portnoy and an indefinite hiatus is not a compelling idea from any angle. Regarding anything DT related, I usually give more credit to opinions on this forum as opposed to random YouTube comments, but that's a no brainer.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2014, 06:08:45 PM »
Time off doesn't force change.  Band members working together mashing new ideas causes change
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2014, 06:33:47 PM »

i mean

you can just

not listen
to the albums

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2014, 06:45:24 PM »
More ADTOE, less DT12. I don't expect that at all, as each album is a slightly different take on their sound, but I really didn't like the s/t, and despite it turning a year old this month, I haven't warmed up to anything besides "The Enemy Inside".

While I do like DT12, I also feel it was a step down from ADTOE. I think DT stayed in their comfort zone too much with the self titled. For the next album, I would like more experimentation not necessarily in the sound, but in the songwriting. More twists and turns, more unexpected moments.
D - D/F# - G - D - Bm - Bm/A - E/G# - A

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2014, 07:07:09 PM »
My answer is simple. I just want them to continue, because I know I will enjoy it.

I've found something to love about every single album. Sometimes it takes many listens, but it grows on me. I trust their creative minds.

If there is something I would specifically ask for, it would be a more dynamic production that is a bit softer on the ears.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2014, 07:07:32 PM »
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2014, 11:05:56 PM »
More ADTOE, less DT12. I don't expect that at all, as each album is a slightly different take on their sound, but I really didn't like the s/t, and despite it turning a year old this month, I haven't warmed up to anything besides "The Enemy Inside".

While I do like DT12, I also feel it was a step down from ADTOE. I think DT stayed in their comfort zone too much with the self titled. For the next album, I would like more experimentation not necessarily in the sound, but in the songwriting. More twists and turns, more unexpected moments.

Right after I wrote that comment, I decided on a whim to take the CD with me on the ride to work and back. Album's actually better than I initially remember, though I still don't find it that interesting on the whole.

I actually don't even know what I want from the band anymore, so I say do whatever. Even if I didn't like the last album, I'm happy that they're feeling reinvigorated and still doing their thing this far in the game. Whatever they put out, I'll at least give a shot.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2014, 11:11:02 PM »
I'd want to hear a crazy amount of variety on it. I'd want it to have piano ballads, guitar ballads, balls to the wall headbangers, super proggy and technical songs, some melodic rock influenced songs. I just want another DT album similar to Octavarium, SC or SDOIT, where they played with a little bit of everything so that every song feels vastly different from the last.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2014, 11:14:16 PM »
I'd also throw in my vote for Kevin Shirley. He was involved with my #1, #2 and #4 DT albums in some way, and I've liked all of his work with DT.
I also hope they take a little bit of time off before the next DT album. Unwind, do some side projects, and come back to DT with a fresh perspective for the next album.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Viking of the Sagas

« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2014, 11:33:36 PM »
Small addendum: I want Mangini the Drum Machine to evolve to Mangini the Prog Drummer.

Offline Miss Bangkok

• Forum Slut
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2014, 10:37:32 AM »
Bands/artists that take their time in releasing new material are usually the ones who have the most consistency, in terms of the quality. A couple examples that come to mine: Steve Vai, Tool. Both of them take a long-ass time in releasing something, but when they do, it's fucking perfection. Maybe DT should slow the fuck down and try some of what they're having?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2014, 10:58:08 AM »
I am not so sure DT is the type of band that if they took time off, theyd come back with something better.  I think they know what they want and there is no reason for waiting to make it.  I also think the success of the last two albums will only add to the desire to continue having that success if not more by keep going full steam.

Offline JPX

« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2014, 11:36:30 AM »
Bands/artists that take their time in releasing new material are usually the ones who have the most consistency, in terms of the quality. A couple examples that come to mine: Steve Vai, Tool. Both of them take a long-ass time in releasing something, but when they do, it's fucking perfection. Maybe DT should slow the fuck down and try some of what they're having?

Agreed 100%, although the two referenced artists both take TOO long IMO.

I think JP should do a second solo album. Play some smaller show in support of that. Let the other guys breathe a little and do other things, then reconvene in 2016.

Online MarkFitDT

« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2014, 12:06:19 PM »
What do I want? For it not to be out until 2016. I'm done with their recent formula.

I don't get this.  Time has nothing to do with formula.  I'd rather bands get as much music to me as they can.  It's up to them to change "Their musical formula".

I was referring to their album>tour formula...it's getting to predictable for me and it's too frequent.

I couldnt disagree with this more - definitely was right for Mike to leave (no offence Mike). Last 2 albums much better than the preceding ones.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2014, 12:13:12 PM »
Slowing down for the sake of slowing down wouldn't do anything except slow them down.  I see no reason to suspect it would improve DT's "quality."  Besides, they have ALWAYS written and recorded fairly quickly.

What Steve Vai and Tool do is not what DT do.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2014, 12:19:08 PM »
For better or for worse, DT has settled on a very peculiar album writing style, which is they rent a studio for a month, and whatever is recorded at the end of that month, is the album. Most artists write and compose their stuff at home. I think the latter approach leads to more introspection, with less predictable intervals.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2014, 12:25:31 PM »
Do most BANDS write and compose stuff at home?  When they live in 5 different homes (and 2 different countries)?  That seems horribly difficult and inefficient for a band like DT, who do so much composition together as a unit.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2014, 12:35:26 PM »
Well, I think most bands actually usually have a songwriting core of one or two people, and when there's more than one who live in different places (say, Kevin Moore and Jim Matheos), they send files around with ideas etc.

Honestly, given how much DT are spending time with each other on tour, it's kinda surprising they don't also write on tour. A lot of bands try out new stuff on the bus or during soundcheck.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2014, 12:46:00 PM »
They actually have started doing that a bit.  According to the band, some of ideas for DT12 came from stuff they developed on the road on the ADTOE tour.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2014, 12:54:33 PM »
The muse works how the muse works.  With them, it works most and works best when they all get together and jam, whether in a studio or on tour.

They like each other and work well together.  That's what they do.  I love OSI, but I would never expect DT to write the way that KM does with Matheos.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2014, 12:56:14 PM »
They actually have started doing that a bit.  According to the band, some of ideas for DT12 came from stuff they developed on the road on the ADTOE tour.
That's good.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2014, 01:00:49 PM »
That's good.

Am I the only one that remembers that?  It was mentioned in an interview somewhere.  Or maybe in one of the live chats they did.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2014, 01:05:03 PM »
I think it was mentioned in the live chat with DTF that they recorded all the pre-show jams on the ADTOE tour in case any new ideas surfaced that could be used for future albums.  I don't know if we ever got a firm confirmation or concrete example of that -- no one in the band, to my knowledge, has said anything like "Surrender to Reason came from a jam we did while we were in South America".

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2014, 01:06:43 PM »
That's good.

Am I the only one that remembers that?  It was mentioned in an interview somewhere.  Or maybe in one of the live chats they did.
I remember it.  However, I'm not sure that a very large percentage of the album came from such material.  But some definitely did.

Offline The Holy Tune

« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2014, 01:28:39 PM »
There are a few things I wish to see at a possible new album:

-A concept album that explores some topic they haven't told about before
-FII-level instrument audibility
-Some real cool artwork that goes along with the subject of the album
-MORE JMX!

Online MarkFitDT

« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2014, 01:29:48 PM »
That's good.

I definitely remember in one of their chats they mentioned the beginning part of Illumination Theory had been something that they  had come up with on the road.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2014, 01:38:38 PM »
That's good.

I remember it too. I'm just saying that it's "good".  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2014, 02:26:17 PM »
I recall the band saying in interviews during the ADTOE tour that they were writing songs on the road, but i dont know how much of that made it to the album.  Contrary, I havent heard anything similar on the current tour.