Author Topic: New DT album 2015?  (Read 52402 times)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: New DT album 2015?
« Reply #315 on: November 28, 2014, 10:59:07 PM »
I loved the nuggets, they never seemed forced to me. It was one of the things that was signature DT and I really hope they bring that back.

Why is that signature DT when Images and Words only has one such nugget (the WFS - LTL thing) and Awake as well (Mirror - SDV). Nothing of that sort in FII either. And other bands do it in their albums also.
Because they continued it consistently until ADTOE.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #316 on: November 29, 2014, 04:48:01 PM »
john zocco, i think that is his name that has been taking tour pics of the band most recently has started taking pics of MP., for which is an apparent "secret project" according to Mp's forum.  Just connecting the dots

My guess is that MP is rehearsing with Dave Mustaine to record the new Megadeth record in January.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #317 on: November 29, 2014, 05:52:58 PM »
Sorry for bringing up this older discussion but I missed it and just wanted to respond regarding my original comments.

24 [...] represents the cycle of a day.
This is the most widely accepted theory.
Well DT saw it as the end of an era too, and the end of the meta-album cycle that they'd dug themselves into. It's quite possible with SC they were very deliberately trying to do something a bit new and different (for the band).
They were but ending the meta-album was already part of the plan, hence why Octavarium is cyclical. The cycle is the terminus.

Having Octavarium continue the meta album but also loop back into itself was genius for the octave/Octavarium concept. It's not a whole they dug, it's a run of albums they finished off in a fitting way as the end of an era.

I agree in retrospect it's not a 'hole that was dug', but I believe it was expressed that way by MP at one point in a similar way to what he said about the 12SS. He was talking about the Van Halen albums doing a similar thing? I can't actually remember where or when he said it but the quote's out there. >_<

In the end though, I agree that it resolved in being a perfect function to close off the 'octavarium' pattern. Even though there were no actual expectations, I think it was MP himself that imposed this obligation, possibly on himself because of how he felt about the Van Halen album not doing what he expected.

Hey, I'm just remembering what I read from MP, can't remember if it was in the book or an interview, where he basically said they kind of started the whole meta album thing, and at that point it almost became expected of them, so Octavarium was their creative way of ending the pattern, and freeing themselves from continuing the meta albums.
I don't remember anything like that regarding the meta album thing.  Either way, it was no big deal.  They just started doing it, and then they did it again.  Nobody cared, the albums weren't actually connected, it was just a fun little thing.

They didn't write Octavarium for that purpose.  But in writing Octavarium the way it came out, they did stop the meta album, and good thing too.

I vaguely remember MP comments aswell, which is what triggered my original comments. I don't think it was planned either, it was a just a well timed convenience and some clever thinking. But you can see on the Octavarium wiki under the 'concept' section some of MPs comments where he states '...realized [we] had dug a hole where we're expected to do it every time'. Just wanted to clarify.

I loved the nuggets, they never seemed forced to me. It was one of the things that was signature DT and I really hope they bring that back.

Why is that signature DT when Images and Words only has one such nugget (the WFS - LTL thing) and Awake as well (Mirror - SDV). Nothing of that sort in FII either. And other bands do it in their albums also.
Because they continued it consistently until ADTOE.

I think they're still there and always will be in some form or another, intentional or not, various synchronicities will always occur with an artist's work. Especially with something like music where an artist will have their favourite progressions and recurring lyrical themes being explored from different points of view. I mean look at JMX lyrics, they're all related to the same subject by my interpretation which is the journey through the 'stream/current/flow of life'. That's just an example of related content though and doesn't exactly fit the definition we have of an intentionally placed 'nugget'. But I rekon the mindset's still there, if someone comes up with something that they think would be a cool reference, however subtle or obvious I'm sure they'd incorporate it into the composition. Although they're probably more sensitive to these issues now after being accused of absurd notions like self plagiarism and that kind of nonsense so my guess is that future easter eggs or nuggets will be on the more subtle side.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 06:01:02 PM by Rodni Demental »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #318 on: November 29, 2014, 06:10:58 PM »
Up until MP left, DT had a bit of a "drawn-out shtick until it's no longer good" thing. The "ass and balls" thing, the AA suite, the forced existence of "nuggets", the meta album thing, they were all drawn past their expiration date. I personally think it's good they stopped that.
I kind of agree with you, but the nugget thing only really happened on 8VM, that I know of, so not sure how that particular aspect was past its expiration date.

As for the ass and balls, I have to say I was listening to A Sort of Homecoming earlier today for the first time, and hearing, "To the doubtful I demand... Eat my ass and balls," and I have to admit, it actually caught me off guard and made me laugh.  :lol

You're forgetting the morse code in ITNOG that says "eat my ass and balls". I always thought, of all things to hide in a song, hiding that phrase was just ugh.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #319 on: November 29, 2014, 06:54:42 PM »
Sorry for bringing up this older discussion but I missed it and just wanted to respond regarding my original comments.

24 [...] represents the cycle of a day.
This is the most widely accepted theory.
Well DT saw it as the end of an era too, and the end of the meta-album cycle that they'd dug themselves into. It's quite possible with SC they were very deliberately trying to do something a bit new and different (for the band).
They were but ending the meta-album was already part of the plan, hence why Octavarium is cyclical. The cycle is the terminus.

Having Octavarium continue the meta album but also loop back into itself was genius for the octave/Octavarium concept. It's not a whole they dug, it's a run of albums they finished off in a fitting way as the end of an era.

I agree in retrospect it's not a 'hole that was dug', but I believe it was expressed that way by MP at one point in a similar way to what he said about the 12SS. He was talking about the Van Halen albums doing a similar thing? I can't actually remember where or when he said it but the quote's out there. >_<

In the end though, I agree that it resolved in being a perfect function to close off the 'octavarium' pattern. Even though there were no actual expectations, I think it was MP himself that imposed this obligation, possibly on himself because of how he felt about the Van Halen album not doing what he expected.
Oh I know what you're talking about. At the end of Women and Children First (a Van Halen album) there's an easter egg type thing (think the end of Illumination Theory) and MP was disappointed that the easter egg riff didn't start their next album.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #320 on: November 30, 2014, 06:00:23 AM »
Well, that's just stupid.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #321 on: December 02, 2014, 10:18:37 PM »
Hey, I'm just remembering what I read from MP, can't remember if it was in the book or an interview, where he basically said they kind of started the whole meta album thing, and at that point it almost became expected of them, so Octavarium was their creative way of ending the pattern, and freeing themselves from continuing the meta albums.
I don't remember anything like that regarding the meta album thing.  Either way, it was no big deal.  They just started doing it, and then they did it again.  Nobody cared, the albums weren't actually connected, it was just a fun little thing.

They didn't write Octavarium for that purpose.  But in writing Octavarium the way it came out, they did stop the meta album, and good thing too.

Sorry to bring this up again, but now that I'm at this part, here we go, a direct quote from MP in the book:

"I thought it was a cool idea, but now I've dug a hole where we're expected to do it every time, so I solved that with Octavarium because the end of "Octavarium" ends with the beginning of Octavarium. So now this album will be a cycle within itself, and we can walk away and have a fresh start with the next album."

So there you go, "dug a hole" was precisely the terminology that MP used. You may be right, maybe the fans didn't actually care, but clearly he felt differently.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #322 on: December 02, 2014, 11:30:16 PM »
Ah yup, that's probably where the quote on the wiki entry came from then. In retrospect we can all agree it all worked out though.

Tbh I always thought it was really cool what they did with the giant "meta album" and would still find it interesting if they entertained the idea again in some way. Pieces being musically connected on an album is always cool too because it gives a sense of continuity of something bigger than just the individual songs in a sense.

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #323 on: December 03, 2014, 05:24:39 AM »

Well, I guess you could say that Just Let Me Breathe has nuggets that refer to both Wait For Sleep/Learning to Live, as well as Take The Time.

I would hardly call that a nugget, since the riff I believe you're referring to in JLMB just consists of two notes in a vaguely similar rhythm to WFS. I'm not altogether denying the possibility, but to me that just seems too random.

Never heard any reference to Take the Time in that song either, would be interested to know more though  :)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #324 on: December 03, 2014, 05:48:20 AM »
Never heard any reference to Take the Time in that song either, would be interested to know more though  :)

It has the lyrical reference to "just close your eyes you can find all you need with your mind" from Take the Time, except JLMB flips it around.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #325 on: December 03, 2014, 07:28:19 AM »

It has the lyrical reference to "just close your eyes you can find all you need with your mind" from Take the Time, except JLMB flips it around.

Oh of course it does, guess it was so obvious that I completely forgot all about that  :P

Well, that definitely qualifies as a nugget.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #326 on: December 03, 2014, 09:03:32 AM »
Sorry to bring this up again, but now that I'm at this part, here we go, a direct quote from MP in the book:

"I thought it was a cool idea, but now I've dug a hole where we're expected to do it every time, so I solved that with Octavarium because the end of "Octavarium" ends with the beginning of Octavarium. So now this album will be a cycle within itself, and we can walk away and have a fresh start with the next album."

So there you go, "dug a hole" was precisely the terminology that MP used. You may be right, maybe the fans didn't actually care, but clearly he felt differently.

It just occurred to me, MP has at some point said he's a huge Tarantino fan. When you look at it, with all these (rather forced) self-references, nuggets and cross-album connections, that's essentially what Tarantino does in his movies.

Offline orphaeusest

« Reply #327 on: December 05, 2014, 12:07:02 AM »
That's easy: all I want is lots of progressive metal! :D

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #328 on: December 20, 2014, 06:03:06 AM »
So do we have any new info regarding when work on the next album will begin then? Will DT be back in the studio come jan/feb as per usual? Or will there be more of a break for labrie's tours / possible petrucci solo etc

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #329 on: December 20, 2014, 06:25:22 AM »
So do we have any new info regarding when work on the next album will begin then? Will DT be back in the studio come jan/feb as per usual? Or will there be more of a break for labrie's tours / possible petrucci solo etc

Nope, otherwise this thread would be going crazy right now.

I feel weird now. On one hand, I'll be excited about a new DT album whenever it happens, but I'm also kinda hoping they don't follow the exact same cycle (start January, release September in an odd-numbered year) for a third consecutive time. It will definitely reek of predictability and stagnancy, of the band digging themselves a hole they can't get out of.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #330 on: December 20, 2014, 06:37:01 AM »
I just don't get that line of thought at all.

What if they wait until March, and the album is released in November/December?  Is that somehow a big change?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: December 20, 2014, 06:46:16 AM »
Hopefully this thread will be completely different than last year's where this happened.

Forum: It would really suck if DT did *thing*
DT: here's a little taster including *thing*

But it was awesome how we got them to remake the cover art and also hating on roadrunner so hard that a RR employee joins the forums  :rollin

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #332 on: December 20, 2014, 06:50:23 AM »
There was no evidence they remade the cover. What we saw initially may have been an early draft.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: December 20, 2014, 06:57:40 AM »
There was no evidence they remade the cover. What we saw initially may have been an early draft.

You know, i'm talking about the cutoff of the earth? Where that big chunks was missing...

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #334 on: December 20, 2014, 07:06:21 AM »

From what I recall of my inner wheelings and dealings, it was changed because of fan feedback.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #335 on: December 20, 2014, 09:29:43 AM »
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #336 on: December 20, 2014, 01:12:07 PM »
Well they've already shaken things up tour-wise, what with waiting for the new year (2014) to hit the road, and tackling the whole tour in said year, so maybe they'll shake up the plans for the next album. Time will tell.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #337 on: December 20, 2014, 04:50:23 PM »

From what I recall of my inner wheelings and dealings, it was changed because of fan feedback.

:lol Wow - then Hugh Syme really is sloppy as fuck . . . he has such a "that'll do" approach to his artwork . . .

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #338 on: December 20, 2014, 07:36:00 PM »
Given the unicyclist incident before that, that assessment is pretty much a given.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #339 on: December 20, 2014, 07:55:58 PM »
Given the unicyclist incident before that, that assessment is pretty much a given.

Don't forget about the cover to Octavarium as well. I also distinctly remember changes being made on the Systematic Chaos cover before time of release, I think, mostly due to the font for the album title and a couple other minor changes.

Obviously, it seems that Hugh Syme is quick to release unfinished/not-finalized artwork for the sake of having SOMETHING out during a press release. I guess, just like the music itself, it's still up in the air until it has to get pressed and packaged for release.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Alohakid87

« Reply #340 on: December 22, 2014, 12:06:34 PM »
I have a feeling they're going to do a concept album which would be great. But, whatever they do is fine with me. Both of their albums with Mangini so far are flawless IMO so i trust them (always have, always will!) 

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #341 on: December 22, 2014, 12:21:55 PM »
I have a feeling they're going to do a concept album which would be great. But, whatever they do is fine with me. Both of their albums with Mangini so far are flawless IMO so i trust them (always have, always will!)

Welcome to DTF. I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay here. Btw, you seem to be a die-hard fan, aren't you? ;D

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #342 on: December 22, 2014, 01:43:28 PM »

Nice to hear from you JMX!!!!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #343 on: December 23, 2014, 06:26:15 AM »

Nice to hear from you JMX!!!!
wut
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios