Author Topic: New DT album 2015?  (Read 52373 times)

Offline Rodni Demental

Re: New DT album 2015?
« Reply #175 on: September 09, 2014, 07:25:14 PM »
Well, I think most bands actually usually have a songwriting core of one or two people, and when there's more than one who live in different places (say, Kevin Moore and Jim Matheos), they send files around with ideas etc.

Honestly, given how much DT are spending time with each other on tour, it's kinda surprising they don't also write on tour. A lot of bands try out new stuff on the bus or during soundcheck.

You mentioned Kevin Moore... And people didn't start talking about... Kevin Moore! ITS A SEPTEMBER MIRACLE!!!

But don't you see it's already begun... :P

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #176 on: September 09, 2014, 07:46:58 PM »
Kevin Moore, Kevin Moore Dumb, dumb, dumb di diiiiiiiii.

Oops! Sorry, that's Dennis Moore.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #177 on: September 09, 2014, 08:08:11 PM »
I hope they tour North America before heading back into the studio in 2015.  We need a second leg!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #178 on: September 09, 2014, 08:12:49 PM »
As much as I'd love to see this show again (same setlist and all), I'd rather them get going on a new album and just wait for the tour for that. I'll take new music over tours any day.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #179 on: September 09, 2014, 08:43:49 PM »
no -- I hope and believe they would change the setlist for the second US leg.  This would give an opportunity for the other DT12 songs to premiere live. 

Offline Mosh

« Reply #180 on: September 09, 2014, 08:47:25 PM »
Oh I just meant that I'd see it again even if the setlist was the same. Of course changes would be more than welcome :p

But I stand by preferring that they do a new album before touring again. They can play the rest of the DT12 songs next year.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #181 on: September 09, 2014, 08:54:24 PM »
You know that little part at the end of Illumination Theory? The easter egg?

They should write music like that. It would be a huge change in direction (at least for an album) and I think they could pull off some beautiful songs. Abandon the prog metal label for a time, just create something more subtle and restrained. Too bad they won't do it.

Well, the easter egg is a separate piece but do you know the end of IT and how it sounds exactly like the end of SDOIT?  I wish they would do more stuff like that.

Or John and Jordan can do another album together of pieces like that.  I mean, that spot is really nice and I do like it, but if DT put an album of that out, it would be pretty detrimental to the band I would think.

Oh I know they're going to stick with their predictable formula to make their money and appease the core of their fanbase, which isn't bad. It'd just be nice to hear them attempt it. That small dose at the end of IT is absolutely beautiful and I'd like to see DT expand on it.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #182 on: September 09, 2014, 09:03:48 PM »
Thing that worries me is that with half of DT12 needing to be premiered live (well it doesn't HAVE to, but the band are the sorta guys that probably want to play these songs eventually) means that on the next tour after another album, there'll be so much unplayed new stuff that they'll probably not play half of their new album again, and have even less room to fit older material considering it was some peoples opinions that even this tour didn't have much range selected across their career (despite being incredibly retro).

Of course rotating setlists (or even rotating spots within the setlist) could solve this :) But I'm sure whoever's responsible will figure something out when the time comes.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #183 on: September 09, 2014, 09:16:31 PM »
Thing that worries me is that with half of DT12 needing to be premiered live (well it doesn't HAVE to, but the band are the sorta guys that probably want to play these songs eventually) means that on the next tour after another album, there'll be so much unplayed new stuff that they'll probably not play half of their new album again, and have even less room to fit older material considering it was some peoples opinions that even this tour didn't have much range selected across their career (despite being incredibly retro).

Of course rotating setlists (or even rotating spots within the setlist) could solve this :) But I'm sure whoever's responsible will figure something out when the time comes.

It's not half of DT12. It's only three songs.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #184 on: September 09, 2014, 09:21:02 PM »
Can we all agree that one of the great things about the ADOE tour was that all the songs for that album were played live in almost every major city and region?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 09:31:56 PM by RaiseTheKnife »

Offline Mosh

« Reply #185 on: September 09, 2014, 09:59:13 PM »

It's not that big of a deal. They're 3 short (by DT's standards) songs. They'll get to them.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #186 on: September 09, 2014, 10:22:03 PM »
Fair point, most of DT12 is being played at the moment not half of it. Besides, they managed to fit recent stuff like Breaking all Illusions and On The Backs of Angels in this tour, not exactly short songs either.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #187 on: September 10, 2014, 09:05:16 AM »
Assuming that a new major tour wouldn't happen until 2016, that doesn't appear to be a major anniversary year, so that would open up set list room, as well.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #188 on: September 10, 2014, 09:49:01 AM »
Can we all agree that one of the great things about the ADOE tour was that all the songs for that album were played live in almost every major city and region?

Offline Mosh

« Reply #189 on: September 10, 2014, 04:47:20 PM »
Assuming that a new major tour wouldn't happen until 2016, that doesn't appear to be a major anniversary year, so that would open up set list room, as well.
It'll be a year late, but I hope they celebrate 10 years for Octavarium by playing the title track. It's time to bring it back.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #190 on: September 10, 2014, 06:37:08 PM »
Haha, it's a year late for A Change of Seasons aswell. Which I'd argue is more due than Octavarium. Although in fairness, Octavarium's had less coverage from one tour despite being played more recently.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #191 on: September 10, 2014, 07:12:20 PM »
Yea I thought about ACOS. It'd be cool if they brought that back but it has been played more than Octavarium. Ideally they should play both.  :metal

Offline Xenon

« Reply #192 on: September 10, 2014, 08:43:41 PM »
Too son for bringing back Octavarium. Let's wait till 15 years anniversary....said no one ever

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #193 on: September 11, 2014, 08:08:28 PM »
A second leg in North America would be great but please not the same set list, which was really weak for me.  I have appreciated the show and the guys performance which is always fantastic but not the set list.
And as for the next album, give me metal stuff with the harmonies that DT can write.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #194 on: September 11, 2014, 08:52:05 PM »
Ugh, let's not go back to the very metal sound.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #195 on: September 11, 2014, 10:11:43 PM »

Five year anniversary of ADTOE.  Perhaps they should pull On the Backs of Angels out from the mothballs. 

Offline Grizz

« Reply #196 on: September 11, 2014, 10:14:30 PM »
Five years of ADToE at that point?
Shiiiiit.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #197 on: September 11, 2014, 11:34:00 PM »

Five year anniversary of ADTOE.  Perhaps they should pull On the Backs of Angels out from the mothballs.

:lol

Offline Octavarious

• Scenes from a Mesmerism
« Reply #198 on: September 12, 2014, 03:05:28 PM »
A concept album about cooking shows.
Title:
"A change of seasoning"
Of course featuring "Hell's kitchen (Gordon's cut)", "The gastronomy inside" and "Tray of pears"
And the 12-courses suite, in 5 songs
"The glass (of champagne) reason"
"This dying souffle"
"The root of all endives"
"Reapperance (from under the table)"
"The shattered intestine"

Cool isn't it? ;D
From Rome, with love.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #199 on: September 12, 2014, 03:53:39 PM »
 :lol
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #200 on: September 12, 2014, 08:12:59 PM »

Just sayin', but when have they not had metal as one of the elements of their sound? Even the albums are generally less heavy (FII, Octavarium?) still have heavy bits on certain songs or sections. There's not a single DT album that doesn't have some metal riffing somewhere. So I believe for the most part, it will almost always remain a part of their sound.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #201 on: September 12, 2014, 09:12:19 PM »
Ugh, let's not go back to the very rushy sound.
Oh, wait that already happened.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: September 12, 2014, 09:27:41 PM »
Like they never wore Rush on their sleeves before.  Folks be bitchin'.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #203 on: September 12, 2014, 09:29:04 PM »

Just sayin', but when have they not had metal as one of the elements of their sound? Even the albums are generally less heavy (FII, Octavarium?) still have heavy bits on certain songs or sections. There's not a single DT album that doesn't have some metal riffing somewhere. So I believe for the most part, it will almost always remain a part of their sound.

He's not asking for 0 metal, he's asking for less metal. Black Clouds and Silver Linings, for instance, could be called VERY metal, whereas Falling Into Infinity or even Images and Words aren't very metal in comparison. Obviously Dream Theater has had metal in its blood since the very beginning, and the beast loads up on iron more on some albums than others. He's simply asking the beast to load up on it less.  :lol

i don't even know where i was going with that
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #204 on: September 13, 2014, 02:13:11 AM »
Like they never wore Rush on their sleeves before.  Folks be bitchin'.

I personally don't understand how simply throwing the term "wearing it on your sleeve" is a carte blanche for just about anything. The Rush references in DT12 were some of the most heavy handed they've done to this day.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: September 13, 2014, 04:21:42 AM »
Sure but I'm not talking percentages,  it's always been obvious. 

Rumbo, every album some complains that their too, metal, not enough metal, too Rush, ect....  We all have our agenda for what we want them to sound like.  Part of being a fan.  There really hasn't been such an outcry (nugget) about how heavy handed they were with their Rush influence but there has been an outcry about the sound on this album not being organic, especially with the drums.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #206 on: September 13, 2014, 01:56:24 PM »
Sure but I'm not talking percentages,  it's always been obvious. 

Rumbo, every album some complains that their too, metal, not enough metal, too Rush, ect....  We all have our agenda for what we want them to sound like.  Part of being a fan.  There really hasn't been such an outcry (nugget) about how heavy handed they were with their Rush influence but there has been an outcry about the sound on this album not being organic, especially with the drums.

It's always been there in composition, sure, which I don't mind. What bothers me most it's the rush signature sound, not the rush inspired compositions (even thought they take it too far with limeTHE LOOKING GLASS).
I probably would love Surrender to reason if it sounded like the rest of the album.

Offline haceeb

• When you surrender to the light, You can face the darkest days
  • I am bent, not broken
« Reply #207 on: September 13, 2014, 10:34:32 PM »
I want it like Ayreon's "The Theory of Everything".

Offline metrojam

« Reply #208 on: September 14, 2014, 12:26:24 PM »
"How would I like it to be?"....uhmm...simple, a LOT better and more exciting than the poor DT12

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #209 on: September 14, 2014, 07:30:55 PM »

He's not asking for 0 metal, he's asking for less metal. Black Clouds and Silver Linings, for instance, could be called VERY metal, whereas Falling Into Infinity or even Images and Words aren't very metal in comparison. Obviously Dream Theater has had metal in its blood since the very beginning, and the beast loads up on iron more on some albums than others. He's simply asking the beast to load up on it less.  :lol

Yeah but, Dream Theater (self titled) already is 'less metal' if you asked me. That's why I thought it needed pointing out that they've always had this element  :lol. Yeah it still sounds heavy and big and it's got some heavy riffs in there, but change the guitar tone and and it's not exactly a hardcore heavy metal album. Far less than BL&SL and at least a similar amount as WDADU. In fact, the only 2 songs that even stay 'heavy' for the length of the song would be The Enemy Inside and Enigma Machine.

Unless the comment is specifically referring to the SC/BL&SL era, but I assume it was directed at DT12.

And another thing, I don't have a problem with DTs Rush influences, I love Rush so if DT were to use them as a blueprint then I'm probably still gonna like it, but I still can't believe people consider The Looking Glass is a ripoff of limelight. If TLG borrows anything, it's about 2 notes and 2 chords in common with Limelight. Not to mention TLG develops it's riff for another couple of bars, Limelight just repeats the same pattern. The similarities start and end with the major sounding guitar chords. Furthermore, if TLG really is some sort of 'spiritual successor' to Limelight and JP stole all the ideas, then the end result was a much more interesting and developed piece (imo) than Limelight. So much, to the point where I can't identify it as being related other than some familiar notes in the opening guitar riff.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 07:43:26 PM by Rodni Demental »