Author Topic: New DT album 2015?  (Read 52404 times)

Offline Sebiriver

New DT album 2015?
« on: September 02, 2014, 06:20:51 AM »
How would you want it to be? Put all you info about the new album!

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Re: New DT album 2015?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 06:24:17 AM »
How would I want it to be?

Out!
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 06:27:47 AM »
Different. Very different.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 06:29:46 AM »
I have renewed confidence that the band will produce music that really appeals to me after the last couple of albums.  So my main wish is for it to have a clear production so I can hear it properly.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 06:48:31 AM »
death metal

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 07:06:51 AM »
At this point, we kind of know what we're getting: An album that sounds like the Dream Theater we all know and love with a small but significantly unique spin to it. With ADTOE, the "spin" was that they went back to their roots and turned the metal down from 11 . With DT12, it was that they made a slightly heavier album with much shorter songs.

Bottom line is that I don't expect DT's version of Heritage in 2015 and I'm fine with that. Sometimes it's nice to know what you're getting.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 07:13:13 AM »
I have renewed confidence that the band will produce music that really appeals to me after the last couple of albums.  So my main wish is for it to have a clear production so I can hear it properly.

Well said, I feel the same way. ADTOE and DT12 were very good albums in terms of the music, but the production certainly had it's flaws on both.  If they can continue to write strong material, such as the music found on the last two albums, and achieve sonic clarity, I'd be as happy as could be!

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 07:13:32 AM »
Melodic Progressive Metal.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline JPX

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 07:34:42 AM »
What do I want? For it not to be out until 2016. I'm done with their recent formula.

The band should all chip in and reopen BearTracks..then...sax solo in at least 2 songs.

:metal

John also needs to start listening to more of his Al's (not Lifeson, the other two)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 07:50:01 AM by JPX »

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 07:39:53 AM »
After 12 albums there's no need to worry about album qualty. It will be worth the wait.

Offline krands85

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 09:15:28 AM »
For me, DT are at their best with longer songs - generally ones longer than 7minutes (I don't have anything shorter than that in my top 20 and only 2 songs shorter than 10minutes in my top 15). So I'm not so keen on the more concise format of DT12. That doesn't mean I want them to be long just for the sake of it, they've still got to flow well and feel natural. Despite the fact I'm a sucker for the longer songs, even I thought there were several examples on SC and BC&SL where certain tracks felt a bit bloated and could have been trimmed down.

Then there's the production side of things. I'm still surprised that a band the size of DT - with the resources they have at their disposal - have struggled to release a sonically great album for so long. Much smaller bands (playing similar music) have managed to do it. But whether it's the mix, drum sound, dynamic range or whatever, a lot of people don't seem to have been satisfied by the sound of at least the last few albums.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Xenon

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 09:35:27 AM »
What I want? Probably Matt Guillory as a producer  ;D
As long as DT sound as clear as any of JLB albums.

Offline Viking of the Sagas

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 09:49:53 AM »
Drum sound that sounds alive again and DIFFERENT FREAKING STYLES.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 10:05:45 AM »
Bottom line is that I don't expect DT's version of Heritage in 2015 and I'm fine with that. Sometimes it's nice to know what you're getting.
I think you have finally become seasoned. Congratulations!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline emtee

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 10:11:22 AM »
For me, DT are at their best with longer songs - generally ones longer than 7minutes (I don't have anything shorter than that in my top 20 and only 2 songs shorter than 10minutes in my top 15). So I'm not so keen on the more concise format of DT12. That doesn't mean I want them to be long just for the sake of it, they've still got to flow well and feel natural. Despite the fact I'm a sucker for the longer songs, even I thought there were several examples on SC and BC&SL where certain tracks felt a bit bloated and could have been trimmed down.

Then there's the production side of things. I'm still surprised that a band the size of DT - with the resources they have at their disposal - have struggled to release a sonically great album for so long. Much smaller bands (playing similar music) have managed to do it. But whether it's the mix, drum sound, dynamic range or whatever, a lot of people don't seem to have been satisfied by the sound of at least the last few albums.

+1 on your second paragraph. I've been spinning IQ's The Road Of Bones for weeks and I can't believe how fantastic it sounds.
They are far below DT in terms of what they can afford to do in the studio and yet it's fantastic. Neal Morse uses his home studio
for his albums and they sound great. I don't care what direction they want to go musically but PLEASE release an album that
sounds great.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 10:19:53 AM »
I trust the guys, and I want them to do what they feel led to do.

One thing that I think would be neat, however, would be for them to bring in an outside producer.  Just for something different.  But if they don't want to do that, then cool.

Although I am not a large fan of most of the material on FII, it remains the best-sounding DT album, so it would be great if Kevin Shirley could be involved in some way.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 10:40:57 AM »
More experimentation, like SDOIT disc 1, or even more so.

Better drum sounds.

Someone else for the artwork.

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 10:54:19 AM »

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2014, 10:56:04 AM »
Better production, more keys and more bass, even more from Mangini. I'm happy with the rest.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2014, 11:29:15 AM »
More ADTOE, less DT12. I don't expect that at all, as each album is a slightly different take on their sound, but I really didn't like the s/t, and despite it turning a year old this month, I haven't warmed up to anything besides "The Enemy Inside".
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2014, 11:45:46 AM »

One thing that I think would be neat, however, would be for them to bring in an outside producer.  Just for something different.  But if they don't want to do that, then cool.

Although I am not a large fan of most of the material on FII, it remains the best-sounding DT album, so it would be great if Kevin Shirley could be involved in some way.

I was hoping that they'd work with him again with the departure of Portnoy, who seemed to clash the most with him.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2014, 12:09:54 PM »
I agree with the guys that mentioned more prominent keys and maybe an outside producer. Other than that, I'm confident the album will be great, after the truly great ADTOE and the outstanding DT12 :heart

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2014, 12:46:22 PM »
 An outside producer. That's all for me.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2014, 12:55:04 PM »
A little more jazz influence. Mostly in chord changes; I'm not expecting them to do soe walking bass lines and noodle for 12 minutes

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2014, 01:11:29 PM »
...although I would be OK with it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2014, 01:39:21 PM »
An outside producer. That's all for me.
This. The production and mix would be better than on the last couple albums and the music would get a breath of fresh air.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2014, 02:17:37 PM »
I'm guessing late 2015 early 2016 release. Now that they've really dug their heels into the new lineup with ADTOE and DT12, I feel like they might go a little outside their recent creativity bubble with the next album. Hopefully. There's no telling, but that would be ideal. More of the same at this point wouldn't be too great.

I know they said in an interview at some point that they hadn't done a concept album in a while and that it would be cool to do one (idk if they specifically said that last part though, it might've been worded differently). If they're willing to do something different and be creative with it, a DT13 concept album could be possible. Again, hopeful thinking...

At least something different than 5-7 minute prog-metal rockers. I've said before I think DT shines with their 8-15ish minute stuff, and if they could be a little experimental then all the better. Something like how SDOIT was when it was released. Like it was said earlier in the thread, it probably won't be DT's "Heritage"... Dream Theater will be Dream Theater. But I'm hoping for Dream Theater with a twist here and there.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2014, 02:30:42 PM »
I believe they are either coming up with a slightly experimental album (not at the level of experimentation many here would like them to reach) or a concept album. I think chances are greater for the latter option to be chosen.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2014, 02:32:53 PM »
More experimentation, like SDOIT disc 1, or even more so.

Better drum sounds.

I've been hoping for this since SDOIT and nothing on DT12 even comes close to that.  So, my expectations aren't that high anymore.  On the other hand, my expectations for the next JLB release are indeed high.  Go figure.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Sebiriver

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2014, 02:43:48 PM »
A Metropolis Part 3 would be cool xD

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2014, 02:56:37 PM »
A Metropolis Part 3 would be cool xD

80 minutes of guitar and keyboard solo duels representing the hypnotherapist and Nicolas' epic battle. All we hear is a scream at the end. It's never stating that Nicolas dies.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2014, 04:32:34 PM »
I'll add my wish for Kevin Shirley to produce as well.

Also, it would be awesome to have a keyboard driven song! I'm not talking about JP just strumming an acoustic six string while JR goes all twinkle-toes, but a nice synth heavy song that really powers along. I know they can do it because I listen to LTE almost as much as I do DT!  :biggrin:

Those are just wishes, not demands. To be honest, I'll probably love whatever they come up with...I always do.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2014, 05:18:12 PM »

SOMEONE ELSE FOR THE ARTWORK.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2014, 05:23:37 PM »
What do I want? For it not to be out until 2016. I'm done with their recent formula.

I don't get this.  Time has nothing to do with formula.  I'd rather bands get as much music to me as they can.  It's up to them to change "Their musical formula".
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline JPX

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2014, 05:29:45 PM »

I don't get this.  Time has nothing to do with formula.  I'd rather bands get as much music to me as they can.  It's up to them to change "Their musical formula".

I was referring to their album>tour formula...it's getting to predictable for me and it's too frequent.

To me the more time goes on, the more it vindicates Mike. They should have taken a break. Maybe not 5 years but I would rather be here today with BC&SL as their last album, still with Mike on drums. Just me.