40 (30.3%)
score
57 (43.2%)
chaos in motion
4 (3%)
live at luna park
9 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 131

Author Topic: your favourite live show dvd  (Read 5553 times)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: your favourite live show dvd
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2014, 01:15:11 PM »
Oh, and believe it or not, with Portnoy gone, the band was actually not aware of how much we LOVE commentaries.  But they are now.  :biggrin:

Excellent :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2014, 01:38:35 PM »
I went with Live at Budoken for several reasons, set list, visuals, audio, etc... The total package is pretty great.  Score is close though... Today its LaB, tomorrow it might be Score!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2014, 01:41:49 PM »
Oh, and believe it or not, with Portnoy gone, the band was actually not aware of how much we LOVE commentaries.  But they are now.  :biggrin:
I love you so much.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2014, 01:45:03 PM »
I know. 

:iknow:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2014, 01:59:15 PM »
*swoons*
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2014, 03:15:46 PM »
If it's not already part of the new DVD... do you think they'd have time to add a commentary prior to the release of Breaking the Fourth Wall, now that they are aware of how AWESOME they are??
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline JPX

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2014, 11:40:25 AM »

:metal I LOVE LOVE LOVE them. So much cool insight.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2014, 11:57:48 AM »

Bosk, OUR VOICE!!

That's good to know. We also love Ytsejam Releases. maybe you could pass that on as well!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2014, 07:46:06 AM »
LAB hands down. It has so energy, powa!

Offline The Holy Tune

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2014, 08:08:07 AM »
Live at Budokan was magnificent. But the new DVD has the one of the greatest setlists ever and features a brand new JLB with a really strong voice! ;D So I expect that one being a fan-favourite quickly.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2014, 06:34:58 PM »

So is that a hint that one of the bonus features on the Boston show DVD might be...ya know...? :omg:

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2014, 06:48:55 PM »
I just Mangini'd
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2014, 09:26:37 PM »

:omg: :omg: :omg: :omg:

*fapfapfapd!!!!11*
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2014, 03:40:49 PM »
So I noticed that Bosk has not confirmed nor denied my suspicion.   ;)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2014, 03:41:46 PM »
Denied.  But I would not rule it out in the future.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2014, 03:44:26 PM »
FUCK! :facepalm:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2014, 03:49:14 PM »
Budokan - best overall DVD in terms of audio and visual quality, editing and look/feel, performance, and setlist.

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2014, 06:12:16 AM »
Metropolis 2000 easily. Scenes From A Memory is the band's peak and playing it entirely is just wonderful.
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2014, 01:06:48 PM »
Score.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline changing_seasons

« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2014, 06:57:15 PM »
LSFNY for me. It was my introduction to the band, it is by far their best album, and MP's drum set is really cool :hat
Plus, Learning to Live and ACOS!  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
Tell about my brother
Tell them about me
The Count of Tuscany

Offline haceeb

• When you surrender to the light, You can face the darkest days
  • I am bent, not broken
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2014, 10:40:23 PM »
Live at Budokan.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2014, 03:03:58 PM »
Live At Budokan - I just thought the performances were above and beyond and top notch. Closely followed by Score because of dat setlist.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2014, 11:13:25 AM »
Bucharest. Weak night for JLB, but that's been the case with most of the DVDs, IMO. Score is the obvious exception, but nostalgia aside Bucharest surpasses in the ways that matter.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2014, 01:27:37 PM »
Bucharest. Weak night for JLB, but that's been the case with most of the DVDs, IMO. Score is the obvious exception, but nostalgia aside Bucharest surpasses in the ways that matter.
I wish they'd start again with the Ytsejam releases.

I personally love the Santiago '05 Ytsejam DVD. I love the small rig. Makes it feel Zepplinesque.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline adamack

« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2014, 03:24:20 PM »
Score.

Six Degrees, Octavarium, Spirit, Sacrificed Sons and Metropolis were all amazing to me. Sacrificed Sons gave me goosebumps with the orchestra!

I absolutely loved the live orchestra, and James sounded amazing. The mix sounded great IMO, and everything looked so awesome at Radio City Music Hall.

A close second would have to be Budoken. Hollow Years and In The Name Of God were 2 personal favs. I am also a big fan of Train of Thought, so the set list was great.

Luna Park disappointed me (for reasons most of us are aware of), mainly because it was the tour for ADToE, which is my second favorite DT album. I can only wish that Score had the Luna Park set list. It would be incredible.

Live Scenes had my favorite overall set list though, seeing as how SFaM is my favorite album and they played it in its entirety. I liked the DVD, but it was just a bit too raw for me. I am very OCD about sour notes and mess-ups. I wish that didn't bother me as much :(

Boston has the set list and credentials (from what I've heard thus far) to be among the best. I can't wait!!!

Offline Grizz

« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2014, 05:55:39 PM »
If LSfNY was better produced it would trump all.
Unfortunately, most of the time the band appears to be playing on a soundstage, plus the effects, picture quality, and hair show their age and the missing songs are a bit glaring. Plus the projection filmmakers had Julian gasp when there's a female gasp sound effect and that's just distracting.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2014, 07:42:17 PM »
I voted LSFNY for it's raw quality, and overall the fact it was the album from start to finish....but Live at Budokan is perfect I love the instrumedley (first time I heard Hell's Kitchen), the commentary and the behind the scenes stuff especially the guy asking JP if he is playing Dream Theater. Score was excellent as well.  We really have been spoilt with some great releases!!!! :smiley:

Offline LTE3

« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2014, 10:54:40 PM »
When for the love of God will we get a blu-ray of SCORE????????????????????????????
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2014, 11:55:26 AM »
I would fucking love that given how much the DVD format kills the picture quality of Score.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2014, 12:07:22 PM »
Budokan, partly down to nostalgia as it was my first visual experience of DT, but also because I genuinely love the setlist, production style and atmosphere. ToT is one of my favourite albums, and easily one of the best DT songs (anyone see what I did there?), the instrumedley is amazing and ITNOG is an absolutely epic closer, possibly the greatest ending to any of their shows ever in my opinion.

From a quality standpoint, you could easily argue that Score is so superior - LAB certainly has it's imperfections, but it's really hard to find any fault with Score whatsoever from a technical point of view. For me, though, it's just one or two strange (IMO) setlist choices that I don't really understand that keep it away from the top spot in my mind.

Offline sylvinception

• His name is Tyler Durden.
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2014, 07:44:18 AM »
"Live at the Marquee" available on dvd ?? :justjen

Of course... :yeahright
OH MY GOD, I'M WATCHED!!!

Offline Grizz

« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2014, 08:55:41 PM »
But not Images & Words live in Tokyo.

Offline mrrct

« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2015, 12:54:57 PM »
1. LSFNY:  They played my favorite album in its entirety.  It has an almost amateurish quality (not as slick as some of their later DVDs) to it that I liked, especially with the videos and effects.  The performance and the crowd was top notch.  Theresa Thompson was great.  The full-band The Silent Man kicked ass, especially LaBrie's high singing at the end.  It only sagged a little with Acid Rain and Jordan's keyboard solo, both of which seemed completely out of place.

2. Score:  DT was arguably in their prime here.  The setlist was a nice survey of their career up to that point, although I didn't need Raise the Knife or Another Won.  The orchestra added greatly to the experience, especially with Six Degrees.  And the career-spanning documentary included in the bonus section was a welcome addition.

3. LAB:  Probably the heaviest of their DVDs, because of the TOT-centric setlist.  The band just played like beasts on this one.

4. Live in Tokyo:  I was probably most excited for this one because my friends and I had just become fans of the band and were playing I&W nonstop.  None of us had WD&DU yet, so the non-I&W songs were brand new to us.  We actually thought the individuals in the band were cool (except for maybe  the overbearing Portnoy) in the offstage footage, which if you remember, the grunge frontmen of the time were total douches.   I actually bought this on VHS and upgraded to DVD years later with the two-pack.

5. LALP:  The only thing holding this back is the ADTOE-centric playlist.  I know I'm in the minority, but it's one of my least favorite DT albums.  The performance was great, LaBrie was the best maybe he's ever been on a live recording.  I was thrilled that James sang (on Metropolis) "without sorrow" the same as he did on I&W, which he never did any of the times I saw them live or on any of their other live recordings.

6. CIM:  The biggest problem with this release was that James screamed his way through the whole concert, which was a shame because it would have ranked higher thanks to the good setlist.  I was also not a fan of the never-ending Surrounded on this one.

7. 5 Years:  I really only liked the band commentary on this one (and the fact that it came with Live in Tokyo).  This was the darkest period in the band's history, even from an outsider's point of view. The FIF songs sucked, for the most part, though not as much as the songs that didn't make the album but were still played on the fanclub shows (Rotterdam and Paris).  Portnoy even said that the record company made him cut a ton out, and we were left with snippets of better things (the performances with the other musicians, Nightmare Cinema, etc.) than were actually left in their entirety.

I can't rate BT4W because I don't have the visual component yet, only the iTunes tracks, which I think are excellent.  I did see the truncated hour version on Palladia, but it's not enough to fairly rank the whole thing among the others.  I'm guessing it would fall somewhere between Score and CIM.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 07:54:53 AM by mrrct »