40 (30.3%)
score
57 (43.2%)
chaos in motion
4 (3%)
live at luna park
9 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 131

Author Topic: your favourite live show dvd  (Read 5577 times)

Offline ori.elias5

• Its only in your mind
your favourite live show dvd
« on: August 31, 2014, 01:11:22 AM »
Well, before the new DVD comes out i was wondering what is your own fav show so far?

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Re: your favourite live show dvd
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 01:14:28 AM »
Budokan. Mainly because I feel like it has the best picture quality, feel/aesthetic, sound quality, etc. It also has the best setlist for me personally and the band was on fire that night. It just feels like it was professionally done and came out best. It also holds a special place in my heart because As I Am from that DVD was one of my first DT video experiences.

Score is great too, but for me, the sound quality isn't as strong as Budokan.

EDIT: I should say that if everything goes well, Breaking The Fourth Wall may be a contender for bumping Budokan from it's place.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 01:24:33 AM by SystematicThought »
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 01:22:28 AM »
Budokan. Everything is great except maybe the setlist that is too much Train of Thought for my taste (understandable though since it was from that tour, but it is not one of their best albums IMHO).

Score would be a close 2nd.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 01:32:26 AM »
As an overall package, definitely Budokan for me. It had the best production values for video and audio, it had great special features, and a great setlist that got me into many of those songs and albums. And the band looked cool too. The only real weakness for me is that JLB wasn't at his best, but that mostly only affects the last few songs of the set for me.

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline mirko_metal_88

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 01:38:59 AM »
live at the marquee...but it's too short to be the best one overall, so i say Score, the setlist was awesome (missing just ACOS)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 01:44:31 AM »
My favorite DVD is Live in Tokyo, but that's not an option so I voted for Luna Park - great setlist and performance, even though the mix could've been handled better. Live Scenes is great, but unfortunately the full show isn't on the DVD and the effects are ridiculous. While Budokan and Score are amazing visually and the performances and extras are great, the song selections leave a lot to be desired, and as a result I rarely have the urge to watch either of them.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 01:45:22 AM »
Budokan. It was the band's first live album after I became a fan, and actually, their first new release after I became a fan (between LAB and TOT). I watched and listened to that show dozens and dozens of times in the wait until 8VM came out.

Solid set list, wonderful live performances with great jams and extended solos. It's very much a LIVE show set list, with all the extra stuff added, as well as the impressive "Instrumedley".

The video just looks great, as well, and one of their better looking shows, IMO.

EDIT - AFAIK, Live At The Marquee never got a video release, let alone a DVD release. Perhaps you meant Live In Tokyo? Same goes for OIALT - it should be Five Years In A LIVEtime. And LSFNY wasn't a DVD, but Metropolis 2000: Scenes From New York was, and it only had the SFAM set, as well as the songs from Disc 3 of LSFNY. Other videos from that show made it on to other places, though.

Otherwise, LAB, SCORE, CIM, and LALP are all correct. I guess if you really wanted to, you could also throw in the videos from the YtseJamRecords releases, like the 8VM Tour Santiago, Chile show, or the SDOIT show from Bucharest, Romania. There's also the When Dream And Day Reunite show, which would be one of my personal favorites.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 01:52:59 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 04:31:47 AM »
As just the concert, probably Budokan.  It looks and sounds the best, and has a great setlist.

But Score has nostalgic value for me, because that was the only DT show I've been fortunate enough to attend.  Also, I think the band was in better form on that one than any of the others.

But I love LSFNY and I&WLIT/5YIALT for the combination of song selection and commentaries.

So all of those are great for different reasons.  There is no perfect or best one.

But Chaos in Motion is definitely the worst.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 04:59:15 AM »
None of them is perfect. James was weak on Budokan, he was at his best on Score, but that had a weird setlist and an out of tune orchestra, Live at Luna Park is a mess, Live Scenes is raw, which is its biggest advantage as well as disadvantage, depends on where you stand and the video effects make it look outdated. I don't much care for the rest. The looks and sound of Budokan place it a league above the rest. I have high hopes for the upcoming BtFW, it looks and sounds promising, plus the setlist is killer.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 09:08:58 AM »
Score. Amazing setlist, great performance, and some really awesome bonus features.

The new DVD has potential to beat it though. The setlist is slightly better I think.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline JPX

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 10:05:51 AM »
Wow. Surprised by the lack of love for Scenes in here. To me it blows every other live performance away. I enjoy Budokan as a package but the show itself is super flat.

I would say Scenes with I&WLIT/5YIALT a distant second, followed by Score.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 10:47:07 AM »
Budokan; the band plays really well, it looks and sounds great, has an awesome setlist (though I would have liked to see more Awake), and awesome extended sections of BTL and HY. The only flaw is James; some of his harsher vocals sound terrible, though he does well on songs like HY.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 11:36:28 AM »
My favorite DVD is Live in Tokyo, but that's not an option so I voted for Luna Park - great setlist and performance, even though the mix could've been handled better. Live Scenes is great, but unfortunately the full show isn't on the DVD and the effects are ridiculous. While Budokan and Score are amazing visually and the performances and extras are great, the song selections leave a lot to be desired, and as a result I rarely have the urge to watch either of them.

We agree for the most part.  I thought I would be the only one to choose Luna Park. 

Like you said, the mix could've been better but the setlist was killer.  I also think this was by far their best stage show (although the new DVD may take its place).  The editing can be annoying for prolonged periods of time but I think it is fine if you just take it on its own for one DVD. 

Live Scenes is a close second for me. 

I am probably wayyyyy in the minority here that thinks Budokan and Score aren't all that great.  Kinda boring, to be honest.  The extras are great but the stage show and set aren't my cup of tea. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 11:41:04 AM »
My favourite is probably Score. I definitely agree with this though:

None of them is perfect.
<snip>
I have high hopes for the upcoming BtFW, it looks and sounds promising, plus the setlist is killer.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2014, 11:50:04 AM »
I say Luna Park for the sheer strenght of the setlist and performance. I am not bothered as others are by the mix or the flying dutchman shots, so it's really a near-perfect DVD for me.

On the opposite end, Chaos In Motion is most definitely the worst.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2014, 01:49:54 PM »
Budokan or Score,ok Budokan.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2014, 08:17:43 PM »
As far as DVD content goes, I'd pick anything with commentary. Live in Tokyo/5 Years Livetime/Scenes From NY. Heck When Dream and Day Re-Unite is awesome for that reason aswell. Does anyone know if Dark Side of the Moon had commentary? I definitely missed this feature from all the later releases.

But as far as performances go, I would possibly pick Live in Tokyo because there's something unique and energetic about their presence in those days. But properly considering all options, I honestly picked Luna Park. It was the first live release that I heavily anticipated and I really enjoy the setlist and production. I do however miss the extended jams and the floyd/metallica/yes/rush/purple/zeppelin etc. references that were found in a lot of their performances.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2014, 10:41:37 PM »
Score....by a landslide

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2014, 11:08:58 PM »
Budokan and Score look the best, but are both dragged down a bit by the set lists not being overly great.

Live Scenes is awesome, but those goofy effects are distracting at times.

The first two are both great, but neither is an entire concert straight through.

Luna Park is great, despite a few issues with the sound (like the keys being too buried at key times).  Tremendous set list, however.

Chaos in Motion is not even worth mentioning.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2014, 12:10:16 AM »
Haha, I do like a lot of the songs on Chaos in Motion. The only problem is that it's Chaos in Motion...  :laugh:

Still, it seems more popular than Livetime by the looks of things. And it scares me that's it's almost as popular as Luna Park.  :omg:

Offline efx

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2014, 01:26:09 AM »
Live Scenes from new york for me since I was in the front row for that show.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2014, 05:53:17 AM »
Does anyone know if Dark Side of the Moon had commentary? I definitely missed this feature from all the later releases.
It does not.  But that DVD is still ridiculously awesome.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2014, 11:49:21 AM »
Score. But the new one has the potential to be the very best.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2014, 11:55:28 AM »

Exactly this. I have high hopes.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Riitasointi

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2014, 12:14:38 PM »
Score it is for me. I think it's mainly due to James' killer performance. So energy, powa, and perfectly in tune all the time. The rest of the band is always performing on the same stellar level but Score is a high point vocalwise for sure.

I'm eagerly waiting for BTFW as well, the clip of The Looking Glass sounds and looks amazing!

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2014, 12:36:24 PM »
For me, the quality of a DT show is more or less defined by how well JLB is doing that night. Because of that, CiM is unlistenable, and LiT, M2000 & Score are the holy trinity. LiT captures the time period where JLB was at his peak, but my favorite JLB vocals are probably on M2000. ACoS is the band at their absolute peak. It never hurts that the band is still youthful and fun to watch with the added fun of seeing JR. Score has a pristine JLB but the band is middle-aged and boring, and the setlist is eh.

Metropolis 2000 is the best DVD IMO. I also haven't even touched on how much I adore DT commentaries.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2014, 12:31:20 PM »

This. I was at both of these shows, and while nothing will top the nostalgia of being at Radio City, the fact that BTFW was filmed in my home-city plus all the Awake and Scenes songs (a lot of which were firsts for me) may take the trophy for best overall DVD. I guess which one I watch more will come down to what I want to hear: Six Degrees and Octavarium (Score) or Awake, Scenes, and DT12 (BTFW).
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline JPX

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2014, 12:40:54 PM »
As far as DVD content goes, I'd pick anything with commentary. Live in Tokyo/5 Years Livetime/Scenes From NY. Heck When Dream and Day Re-Unite is awesome for that reason aswell. Does anyone know if Dark Side of the Moon had commentary? I definitely missed this feature from all the later releases.

But as far as performances go, I would possibly pick Live in Tokyo because there's something unique and energetic about their presence in those days. But properly considering all options, I honestly picked Luna Park. It was the first live release that I heavily anticipated and I really enjoy the setlist and production. I do however miss the extended jams and the floyd/metallica/yes/rush/purple/zeppelin etc. references that were found in a lot of their performances.

Never knew that DVD had commentary. Thanks!!

Offline JPX

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2014, 12:43:02 PM »
For me, the quality of a DT show is more or less defined by how well JLB is doing that night. Because of that, CiM is unlistenable, and LiT, M2000 & Score are the holy trinity. LiT captures the time period where JLB was at his peak, but my favorite JLB vocals are probably on M2000. ACoS is the band at their absolute peak. It never hurts that the band is still youthful and fun to watch with the added fun of seeing JR. Score has a pristine JLB but the band is middle-aged and boring, and the setlist is eh.

Metropolis 2000 is the best DVD IMO. I also haven't even touched on how much I adore DT commentaries.

These are my thoughts exactly...excellently articulated.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2014, 12:44:35 PM »
Haha, I do like a lot of the songs on Chaos in Motion. The only problem is that it's Chaos in Motion...  :laugh:

Still, it seems more popular than Livetime by the looks of things. And it scares me that's it's almost as popular as Luna Park.  :omg:

Eh, I suspect that wouldn't be the case if everyone had to rank them in order, rather than just voting for your favorite.

Also, I think some are voting for the CD, which is listed, because of JLB's uneven vocal performance, instead of the DVD, 5 Years in a Livetime, where JLB's vocals are mostly very good.

In other words, confusing poll is confusing, since the title ask for favorite DVD, and then the poll lists CDs.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2014, 12:45:55 PM »

Never knew that DVD had commentary. Thanks!!

That's definitely the best thing about it! It's double good for me, because it also means I don't have to actually listen to those songs. :biggrin:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2014, 12:49:35 PM »

Eh, I suspect that wouldn't be the case if everyone had to rank them in order, rather than just voting for your favorite.

Also, I think some are voting for the CD, which is listed, because of JLB's uneven vocal performance, instead of the DVD, 5 Years in a Livetime, where JLB's vocals are mostly very good.

In other words, confusing poll is confusing, since the title ask for favorite DVD, and then the poll lists CDs.

:facepalm:

I made note of that in my above post, but no one else seemed to notice until now. I guess no one pays attention to details any more.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2014, 01:11:15 PM »
LALP. Mainly because I feel like it has the best picture quality, feel/aesthetic, sound quality, etc. It also has the best setlist for me personally and the band was on fire those two nights. It just feels like it was professionally done and came out best. It also holds a special place in my heart because this tour was the first time I actually get to meet the entire band.

LSFNY is a close second and had been my fave for a long time.  There are a lot of days where I might even still pick that one.  I also hold Score in very high regard.  But now that a good deal of time has passed, the novelty of the set list has worn off just a bit, and the fact that the orchestra was flat at times has come to slightly overshadow the awesomeness of having the orchestra.  But still a great DVD.  I would put LAB just a bit behind Score.  It is a shame about the quality and performance selection on CiM, because the song selection as a whole on that tour was stellar.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2014, 01:13:38 PM »
It is a shame about the quality and performance selection on CiM, because the song selection as a whole on that tour was stellar.
I agree, some of my favorite songs are performed on that DVD. 

However....well, you know.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2014, 01:14:37 PM »
Oh, and believe it or not, with Portnoy gone, the band was actually not aware of how much we LOVE commentaries.  But they are now.  :biggrin:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."