Author Topic: How can people think DT are bad?  (Read 7941 times)

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
How can people think DT are bad?
« on: August 30, 2014, 04:32:18 PM »
I would just like to post this, after a recent discussion with a friend, that went somethink like this:
Me: hey, have you ever heard of this band called dream theater
"Friend": no
Me: Here, let me show you a really good song *puts on Caught In A Web*
"Friend": meh... it's nothin' special
Me: HOW THE FUCK IS THAT NOTHING SPECIAL? DREAM THEATER ARE FUCKING GODS! THEY ARE THE BEST MUSICIANS ALIVE, AND YOU CALL THIS NOTHING SPECIAL, YET YOU CAN LISTEN TO THE FUCKING SEX PISTOLS AND CALL THEM "MASTERS OF MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
"Friend": *I'm not saying my real name,* you're scaring me
Me: HULK SMASH
"Friend": urgh

My question is this:
Do you know anyone who finds DT bad
Do they also like shitty music which is just a bunch of peeps who can't play anything going "God save the queeeeen"
Basically, any stories about showing DT to friends/family & their reactions.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: How can people think DT are bad?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 04:38:59 PM »
Because DT is hard to digest and most DT fans are very passionate and get butthurt when someone shrugs them off.

Or people are just stupid.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 04:41:12 PM »
Let me correct this for you...

people are just stupid.
perfect!

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 04:44:19 PM »
also, just to clarify, its not the fact he didn't like the music, more the fact that he though the stuff they played was just average. Even people who don't like prog have to admit:
JP is amazing at guitar
JLB is amazing at vocals
JM is amazing at bass
JR is amazing at 100000 different thingy-majigs
and
MM is amazing a drums.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 04:46:26 PM »
Most people don't and won't like DT.  It's okay.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 04:47:19 PM »
Curses, hefdaddy stole my post.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 04:52:43 PM »
People are entitled to like or dislike whatever they want. I don't like artists such as Black Eyed Peas, Rihanna, and Nicki Minaj. Other people do. While it's true that musically a band like Rush or Dream Theater are much more musically advanced than a band like Maroon 5, it doesn't automatically mean that they're better bands. Taste in music is subjective and there is no definitive answer to what artists are the best. A band like Dream Theater are different than even most metal bands. They don't always use standard song structures, time signatures, scales, or anything that the average music fan is used to. While they have more accessible songs like Wither or I Walk Beside You, they also have weird songs like A Change of Seasons, Breaking All Illusions, and of course, The Dance of Eternity. To the average listener, those songs are a mess. Even die hard fans need a few listens to make sense of a song like Scarred. As fans of more musician oriented bands, we forget that not everyone is into complex music. I'm guilty of criticizing overly simple songs from time to time, but we have to remember that music is for everyone and not just for musicians.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 05:18:46 PM »
Yea, opinions and stu---WHY DID YOU START WITH CAUGHT IN A WEB?!

Seriously, so many better starter songs to choose from.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 05:20:51 PM »
Yeah, Awake in general seems like a hard album to start with.

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 05:21:35 PM »
I should have thought this through... I have calmed down somewhat now. I was just in rage mode. I will try and stop in future, as it makes me come across as a dickish moron.
Sorry  :angel:
Also I started with caught in a web because I like it, and find it to be a good well rounded song. It has lots of aspects of good dream theater, rather than just one main good aspect.

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 05:22:48 PM »
I find it to be the best DT album ever. Also, I love Kevin Moore.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 05:39:27 PM »
It's my favorite DT album as well. The point still stands that it's generally not easily accessible, even to those who could potentially like DT. It took me several years to appreciate.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2014, 05:45:07 PM »
I disagree. Awake was my first album and it worked like a charm. I'd recommend it to any metal fans wanting to get into DT. It's got some short songs to draw you in and some great heavy riffing.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2014, 06:58:43 PM »
Me: HOW THE FUCK IS THAT NOTHING SPECIAL? DREAM THEATER ARE FUCKING GODS! THEY ARE THE BEST MUSICIANS ALIVE, AND YOU CALL THIS NOTHING SPECIAL, YET YOU CAN LISTEN TO THE FUCKING SEX PISTOLS AND CALL THEM "MASTERS OF MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

My opinion: DT aren't musical gods (fantastic playing doesn't necessarily equal good music) and Sex Pistols did create a great punk rock album in Never Mind the Bollocks, despite being nothing in terms of playing if compared to DT.

EDIT: Both bands created great music.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 07:53:49 PM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2014, 07:28:43 PM »
Well, it's a matter of taste isn't it? You don't appreciate Sex Pistols, he doesn't appreciate Dream Theater. Say and think what you will about SP, your opinions are valid, but so are your friend's, so you have to validate other people's point of view aswell.

Sex Pistols were actually hugely influential, and although not the first; they essentially evolved the punk genre, which even if not your cup of tea, had an impact on a lot of popular rock bands from the 70s that in turn influenced the direction of modern music in general. Their relevance can't be understated. Indirectly they could have even influenced Dream Theater in the sense that DTs influences were influenced by them. For the record, they're not my cup of tea either and I wouldn't consider it musical mastery, but I just wanted to say that people can find something they connect with in all kinds of music which is great.

I think the idea is to not be so dismissive of other people's tastes even if we don't understand in the slightest why something would appeal to someone. Because isn't that the very thing that frustrates you about your friend being dismissive of Dream Theater?

Considering the variety of musical styles in DT, if the situation ever arises again, maybe show him a different song that you believe might be more to his taste? Keep an open mind and your friend should reflect that behaviour and he might find something he appreciates in the music. Or not, but that happens and that's fine too.  ;)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2014, 07:57:56 PM »
Most people don't and won't like DT.  It's okay.

That. Opinions. Etc. As long as you enjoy the music, who cares what anyone else thinks?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2014, 08:01:20 PM »
You know, I just saved a lot of money by switching to Geico.

That's what I say.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gm5k

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2014, 08:28:19 PM »
There's a lot of people who absolutely hate the sound of metal to begin with.  Heavily distorted guitars with palm muting x intense drums is enough to make many people cringe.  Add to that what many people consider to be 80's style keyboards and singing...

I personally love it more than anything, but I certainly can't blame someone for not liking DT  :lol

Also like others have mentioned it can be hard to follow/remember.  It's not familiar like Pop, which a lot of people want their music to be.  Familiar, comfortable, can know the hook after the first listen, etc.  I don't mean that as a diss to Pop, love it.

I have some friends who enjoy DT like I do.  We have a blast listening to and worshipping it, and I'm so glad they feel it like I do.  Nothing like a DT connection with music friends!  Don't let the others bother you and just find some good friends to enjoy it with.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 08:36:45 PM by gm5k »

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2014, 09:06:47 PM »
Because opinions and blah blah blah.

Most people aren't gonna dig music that's just generally inaccessible or indigestible, and that's fine. It's not unfamiliar music that's setting out to become familiar for the masses. If you enjoy the music, that should be enough. I don't think everyone has to. Even then, DT is fairly tame and accessible. I have a couple of friends that are into them as well.

To be honest, it's reactions like the one in the OP that give DT fans a bad rep as not being accepting of people who aren't into DT. Being passionate about your favorite band is one thing, but then there's just being a fanboy. I do wish for the DT fanbase--not just those of us here--to avoid that.

As for starting your friend off with CIAW, it really depends on their musical background. If they come from years of listening to metal, then most songs from Awake would be fine personally. Try different songs even so and if it's still not their thing, then don't push it, and don't sweat it.

Offline gm5k

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2014, 09:26:14 PM »

As for starting your friend off with CIAW, it really depends on their musical background. If they come from years of listening to metal, then most songs from Awake would be fine personally. Try different songs even so and if it's still not their thing, then don't push it, and don't sweat it.

Yep.  Had a friend that was a big Megadeth fan.  First song I showed him was "As I Am" off of Budokan DVD.  Immediately obsessed  :tup

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2014, 09:32:04 PM »
Yeah, the time i discovered Dream Theater, i was into Megadeth and thrash in general, so, i really liked some of their fast paced moments like most of The Glass Prison, Fatal Tragedy and This Dying Soul solo section/outro and many others.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2014, 10:15:46 PM »

I was thinking the same thing; it's definitely not where I would suggest someone to start who had never listened to the band before.

Offline yeah_93

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2014, 11:35:17 PM »
I really hope you didn't say that seriously. You could come across as a douche.

Seriously. You can't expect everyone to like a band whose shorter songs are like 6 minutes long.

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2014, 01:32:07 AM »
Probably for similar reasons as to why some people don't like dark chocolate, coffee, tea, mini vans, waking up in the mornings, the color green, etc and all for a million different personal reasons. I rarely have the desire to argue with people that don't like certain things that I do. All that really matters is whether or not I like it or not. The rest of the world is irrelevant.

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2014, 04:02:05 AM »
I really hope you didn't say that seriously. You could come across as a douche.

Seriously. You can't expect everyone to like a band whose shorter songs are like 6 minutes long.
I said it, but not seriously. He's my best friend, he knows weather I'm joking or not. I didn't mean he should like them, as I said earlier, even if you don't like their music, Dream Theater are amazing at playing their respected instruments. This was what I was saying.
Also, he likes other progressive stuff, so the song length doesn't bother him at all  :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2014, 05:36:19 AM »
Not everyone likes the same things.  It's pretty normal.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2014, 05:37:45 AM »

My opinion: DT aren't musical gods (fantastic playing doesn't necessarily equal good music) and Sex Pistols did create a great punk rock album in Never Mind the Bollocks, despite being nothing in terms of playing if compared to DT.

EDIT: Both bands created great music.

Yeah, the sex pistols were great at what they did. But, what they did (musically) wasn't very good. I do have to admit though, without them, bands such as Green Day, Jilted John & Operation Ivy, all of whom I love wouldn't exist.  :smiley:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2014, 06:06:10 AM »
Yeah, the sex pistols were great at what they did. But, what they did (musically) doesn't appeal to me.
FTFY
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2014, 06:11:41 AM »
Yeah, the sex pistols were great at what they did. But, what they did (musically) doesn't appeal to me.
FTFM

FTFY

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2014, 06:13:32 AM »
WTF

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2014, 06:13:42 AM »
The main thing that annoys me is when you're in a group of people - and you mention Dream Theater -

and as one they all chorus - awesome band - shit singer.

Like it's a fact. Or they are scared of admitting they like LaBrie in case someone in their clique takes the piss

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2014, 06:14:26 AM »
WTF

You implied that you were telling him what music he should like.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2014, 06:27:36 AM »
WTF

No he didn't.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 06:33:27 AM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2014, 06:29:15 AM »
WTF

I did no such thing.  Why would I tell him he should like the Sex Pistols?  I don't even like the Sex Pistols.  But that doesn't mean they aren't good, or good at what they do.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2014, 06:47:57 AM »
Well I can say I hate them.  I am no fan of straight up punk.  Mix it with pop like The Talking Heads, Joe Jackson & Blonde.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC