Author Topic: Dr. DTVT's Peaceful, Euro-game styled roulette - Round 7 results  (Read 25495 times)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: Dr. DTVT's Peaceful, Euro-game styled roulette - Ignition phase (Rd. 1 start)
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2014, 07:47:20 AM »
Seeing that I not only own, but have reviewed that album, I would have rejected it.

I do like that band though, so your thoughts were in the right place.  The top three will almost certainly be TAC, Dark Castle, and Senecadawg2 in some way shape or form (I know the order, just want to leave some suspense).  I'd say 4th place, 8th and 9th are also pretty secure.  I just have two more parameters to make decisions on.  Round will be scored late night Friday for sure.  Emphasis on late - I have to attend a dinner to honor one of our department's biggest donors tomorrow night.

Also, please make sure there is room to get PM's, because I will need to inform some of you of secret points scored, and I will have to inform the low players of their options for handicapping the top players.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Dr. DTVT's Peaceful, Euro-game styled roulette - Ignition phase (Rd. 1 start)
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2014, 08:58:40 AM »
There was a theme? Teach me to send while I'm on vacation :rollin

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2014, 09:30:12 AM »
There was a theme? Teach me to send while I'm on vacation :rollin

I'm not on vacation and missed it to. I blame the Dr. for not being clear enough....
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dr. DTVT's Peaceful, Non-violent, Euro-game styled roulette - sign-up phase
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2014, 10:16:42 AM »
Time to get started.  I don't have spotify, but youtube and grooveshark work.  Also, if you want to send me an mp3 or aac file, my email is mrouser  (at)  coker (dot) edu

Some of you have another email address for me, but I check my old work email a lot and it is a gmail addy, so large attachments are not a problem, and if needed you can share on your google drive if you have one and the file is too large.

Since we are starting, your theme for round one is "Ignition".  Take that as you may.

Also, send a secret parameter in your PM as well, and remember you can't score on your parameter, only other players.  And don't help your friends...people in the lead get handicaps that last for two rounds  :xbones

Bold added for emphasis.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2014, 01:33:28 PM »
The top three will almost certainly be TAC, Dark Castle, and Senecadawg2 in some way shape or form (I know the order, just want to leave some suspense). 

Nice. Can't say that I expect to stay ahead in this race, but good to know I've got a decent start
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2014, 03:00:58 PM »
I will say that there even the third best song only got an "ok+" on my initial listen, so I wasn't wowed by much.  I'm also curious as to how some of you related your songs to "Ignition"  :lol

Almost sent Burning Point's The Ignitor, but the song didn't do a lot for me, so I sent a song called High Speed Breakout.

For such a mediocre album, Doc somehow gave it a B+ review iirc.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2014, 10:10:51 AM »
I've probably been passed by.

Sorry

Real life.

My bad.
Sorry again doc.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2014, 11:15:48 AM »
Round 1 – Ignition
jingle.boy: Epysode – Driven
Jingle sent two songs, the first being an intro track, but 2 minutes is a little much for a lead-in track to be an addition to another song.  The intro track was called “Ignition”.  My biggest gripe with this song was the singer.  He just wasn’t working for me on this track, and it felt like a step down from the Epysode album I do have.  Musically, it was fine, but nothing that stood out and grabbed my attention.  I’ve listened to all the songs at least 3 times, and this one a few more since it wasn’t that long of a track, but I honestly can’t recall anything from it.  Things stick to my mind for good and bad reasons, so if nothing sticks, that’s pretty average.
4/8

Scorpion: Adagio – Dominate
The beginning of the song immediately made me think of the x-4 castle world on Super Mario Brothers :lol  Scorp also went the look into my last.fm and find something I had few listens on.  I have never owned any Adagio albums, so I am guessing it came up some time a few years ago when I would play a band’s “radio station” on last.fm.  But I had heard of them.  This had a Gothenburg metal feel to it that largely hit the spot, and this song grew on me with each listen.  The cleans are good, and the harsh vocals are used sparingly and appropriately.  Adagio is certainly on my radar now.
5/8

TAC: Hibria – High Speed Breakout
If there were points for best cover art, this might have won that.  This song felt like one of the rarest of birds, power metal that isn’t cheesy; at least the parts of the song with singing going on.  The instrumental sections had a speed and thrash metal vibe to them, keeping the song fresh throughout.  Another band on my radar now.  Make sure you read your two round handicap below.
7/8

lonestar: InnerShine – Divided In Two
This is one of those songs where I was scratching my head about the theme.  Then lonestar tried to blame it on his vacation.  Nevertheless, this song lacked the punch I was looking for this round.  That gripe aside, even before I was made aware of lonestar’s mental vacation I was scoring this round based on how much I liked the music.  While this song certainly grew on me a little bit, all that really stood out was an instrumental section, and that the song after this on Spotify sounded really cool when I accidentally played it while listening to Dark Castle’s song.  Again, there’s that whole reading comprehension thing, because I had to sign up for an account.  I didn’t realize it was a free service though, so I guess that brain fart smelled like roses.  In all, it was a nice song, but not nice enough to stack up against some of the other songs in this round.
4/8

Dark Castle: Wormrot – Loathsome Delusions
The first time I heard this song, it was playing simultaneously with a different InnerShine song and it had a wonderful contrast that made a really cool song.  Then the ferocity stopped after 1:25 and I was left with some touchy feely song, and at that point I realized there was another song playing in the background.  It was at that point I learned Spotify just moved to the next song.  So DC’s song was very short.  But much like a good story, I wanted more.  After some initial feedback noise (which I’ve always hated), the song goes straight for the jugular in a brutal flurry of riffs and fills, then the brutality goes up when the harsh vocals come in.  This is the song you play when you want to show the world you have no fucks to give about their opinion.  It’s harsh and brutal, and while DC and I might be the only people in this thread to like this type of stuff, its great in small doses, which is why most of Wormrot’s songs are less than 2 minutes long.
6/8

senecadawg2: Orden Ogan – Nobody Leaves
It’s a good thing I’m not lactose intolerant, because I got my recommended daily dose of dairy on this song.  BUT I LOVED IT.  This is power metal done right, and that’s important in a genre where there are some good acts, but there are lots of bad ones that seem to bring the genre down.  I feel like I got to get my hands on this, and I’m sure it won’t be that long until I do.
8/8

Obfuscation: Boris – Just Abandoned My-Self
This song shows the difficulty of making a long song.  Clocking in at over 18 minutes, it had some really cool sections that if isolated and tied tightly together would have scored very well.  However, the song had a real lack of bass and all that treble was exhausting, and that might be part of what made the song feel repetitive in some of its stanzas, and made the guitar and noise middle section boring and droning.  I appreciate the risk, but that middle section made the subsequent listens feel like a chore.
1/8

Sacul: David Maxim Micic – Where Is Now?
My impression of this song is that it could be a song that was written for Devin Townsend’s Epicloud, didn’t make the cut, and was then recorded by finding replacements for Devin Townsend and Anneke to take over the vocals.  Basically, it sounded like a DTP knock-off for the most part.
3/8

Nekov: Galleon – Before the Sunrise
This song challenges lonestar’s song for the title of “Antithesis of Round Theme”.  Again, taking the lack of a proper theme fit aside, this song didn’t really have any parts that grabbed my attention.  It was nice and mellow, but suffers from sounding a little too samey over the course of 9+ minutes.
2/8

While a few people have songs that fit the theme, and even though jingle tried to go with an actual song called Ignition, TAC’s song explodes right from the get go, and so he’s going to get the round theme point.

If you earned any private points, you have been informed by PM.

Public Standings:
Senecadawg2 – 8
TAC – 8
Dark Castle – 6
Scorpion - 5
Lonestar – 4
Jingle.boy – 4
Sacul – 3
Nekov – 2
Obfuscation – 1

HANDICAPS
Senecadawg2, for the next TWO rounds, you must send me instrumental songs.
TAC, for the next TWO rounds, songs must be between 4 and 5 minutes.

Your round 2 theme is “evolution”.  Take that as you will.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 12:55:38 PM by Dr. DTVT »

Offline senecadawg2

Re: Dr. DTVT's Peaceful, Euro-game styled roulette - Time for Evolution (Round 2)
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2014, 11:19:59 AM »
I'm glad you liked the song, but who the fuck gave me that handicap?  >:(
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Re: Dr. DTVT's Peaceful, Euro-game styled roulette - Time for Evolution (Round 2)
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2014, 11:21:45 AM »
The day I got that Noise EP, I had just started it when my roommate(my best friend at the time) was walking back from classes into our dorm room as the Feedback was going on, and he told me bluntly "I'm going to go take a piss, if that shit's not off by the time I get back, I'm going to flip tables and shit"  :lol

EDIT: Sent!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 11:37:41 AM by Dark Castle »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2014, 11:47:34 AM »
Theme is evolution... got it!!!!

:biggrin:

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2014, 11:52:08 AM »
Basically, it sounded like a DTP knock-off for the most part.
lol, I don't remember any Devin song having some jazz rather than Bad Devil. And not even djent :lol . Let's see what can I send for this round.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2014, 11:55:05 AM »
Sent yo.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2014, 12:50:56 PM »
My biggest gripe with this song was the singer.  He just wasn’t working for me on this track, and it felt like a step down from the Epysode album I do have. 

:rollin :rollin :rollin  Ida Haukland is a 'she'.

So, TAC had a 7 point song + 1... who had the 5 point song?

Will gladly take 4 points from Doc, since his tastes can be rather ... volatile.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2014, 12:53:47 PM »
I'm glad you liked the song, but who the fuck gave me that handicap?  >:(

The guy in last place.

So, TAC had a 7 point song + 1... who had the 5 point song?

Scorpion did.  I just forgot him in the standings, but he is in the write ups.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2014, 01:16:58 PM »
Two things: 1) don't forget to send a secret parameter (lonestar)

2) make sure your parameter is something that could reasonably apply to most songs.  Remember, somebody will score on it.  Don't give a specific situation or genre.  Think things like _______iest song, or best song to do while _________, or something that could be easily determined like song whose length is the mode for the round.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2014, 07:33:53 PM »
Still waiting on TAC, Obfuscation, Senecadawg2, and Scorpion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2014, 06:14:32 AM »
I'll be sending later this afternoon when I get home from work.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2014, 10:50:18 AM »
I will be sending it in a bit.

Edit: Sent
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 01:06:40 PM by Obfuscation »
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2014, 02:33:15 PM »
HANDICAPS
TAC, for the next TWO rounds, songs must be between 4 and 5 minutes.

Your round 2 theme is “evolution”.  Take that as you will.

WTF can "evolve" in 4-5 minutes??

Sent...and resent!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: September 18, 2014, 08:41:34 PM »
:bump:

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2014, 09:55:18 AM »

We're gettin tired of saving this from page 2

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2014, 10:14:09 AM »
There was an issue with one of the songs I got, and since I am essentially grading 9 songs on anywhere from 5 to 10 criteria each round, rounds will go a little slower than usual.  Doesn't mean I'm not listening, it just means I have to listen more.  If it goes to page 2, so be it, lots of things get discussed here.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2014, 10:08:06 PM »
All done.  I just need to get the handicaps in before I post results.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2014, 06:14:04 AM »
Awesome

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dr. DTVT's Peaceful, Euro-game styled roulette - Danger! Round 2 results up!
« Reply #95 on: September 23, 2014, 05:16:15 PM »
Round 2 – Evolution
Sacul: Infected Mushroom – Becoming Insane
To be fair, this was his backup song, as the song he tried to send was not available on Spotify, but it is in his country.  I wish I could have heard that song, because this song missed the mark in terms of what I like.  I appreciate that you went outside of the box, but the first half of the song lost my interest.  The second half of the song improved, but the electronic drum did absolutely nothing for me.  The highlight of the song was the Middle Eastern inspired riff, and had the song been built more around that I think I would have liked it more, but this was clearly my least favorite song of the round.
1/8

TAC: Eldritch – Our Land
Another strong submission from TAC.  Italian power metal bands tend to be more miss than hit for me, but this one has potential to be hit for me I think.  While I don’t mind cheese, this song manages to avoid it, and the environmentalist in me digs the message of the song.  The singer wasn’t doing much for me, but beyond that this was very much in my wheelhouse.
5/8

Obfuscation: Blotted Science – Cretaceous Chasm
Obfuscation decided to impose the same handicap he slapped on senecadawg2 this round and went with an instrumental.  AND HE TOTALLY REDEMED HIMSELF.  The tension built up over the course of this song is intense, and in the end we never get that resolution of the I chord at the end of the song.  The song was very technical, but never felt like it devolved into wankery for wankery sake, and was an intense, enjoyable listen each time.
7/8

senecadawg2: Clint Mansell – Death is the Road to Awe
When I was looking into the artist background for some info related to the secret parameter, I realized I knew who this guy was, at least musically.  Clint is the former front man of Pop Will Eat Itself, a band I was familiar with in the mid 90s.  Based on this song, I never would have made the connection, so that evolution, which I have no idea if senecadawg2 was aware of or not was pretty cool.  I noticed from his related videos that he did the soundtrack to Requiem of a Dream, and this song sounds like it should be a part of that even though it is not.  The song starts out as an mellow instrumental duet, but as the strings and other elements get added in, what was relaxing number begins to build up tension, and finishes in an intense climax.  The song alone wins the theme, and all the background info I learned showed it wasn’t just evolution in the song, but in Clint’s career.  I thoroughly enjoyed, but not quite as much as the top two.
6/8

Nekov: Yargos – Human Nature
Wait…I know this voice…It’s Mac!  Funny that you sent me Mac after receiving Mac from jingle in your roulette.  Mac aside, the rest of the band is solid as well.  A good, but not spectacular, prog metal song.  Not much more to say.
5/8

lonestar: Shineback – Rise Up Forgotten, Return Destroyed
Not bad, but nothing really grabbed me.  I don’t see why this needed to be a 10+ minute song.  It felt like a 5 minute song stretched over 10.5 minutes because that’s what you are supposed to do as a prog band.
2/8

jingle.boy: Thunderstone – Down With Me
5 listens in and nothing really sticking to the wall.  I don’t hear anything I don’t like, but this is the musical equivalent of some random dude waving hello on the street
4/8

Scorpion: Destiny Potato – Lunatic
You got some solid brass balls going here after my cold shoulder to DMM last round.  It was an improvement in many ways. However, it just ran up against a stronger group of songs. Probably the most maddening part of the song was the first line of the chorus reminded me of some other song and I still haven’t put my finger on it, and it’s pissing me off :lol  That’s not a knock on the song.  One of the things that bugged me was the guitar was way too loud in the mix, it was overpowering and jarring at times, pushing for more space than it probably needed.  I slowly warmed up to this song, but the guitar just overpowering the female vocalist was just a little much.  The circus bits I didn’t get either.
3/8

Dark Castle: Howl – Heavenless
This song is just a sledgehammer of awesomeness to the face, if you like harsh vocals.  One of the best harsh vocals I’ve ever heard.  I need more of this band.  It’s hard, heavy, and gritty, and starts with a nice build up over a sinister bass line.  This song just drips with evil, and relies on the vocals for the heaviness, as the guitar tone is not laden in effects, allowing the rhythm of song to take center stage.  Easily my favorite of the round.
8/8

Round theme winner: Senecadawg2

HANDICAPS

Senecadawg2, for the next TWO rounds, you must send me songs less than 4 minutes, and the song next round must also be an instrumental.
TAC, for the next round, your song must be between 4 and 5 minutes.
Dark Castle, for the next TWO rounds your song must be from a band that begins with one of these letters: G, H, L, U, or V

Round 3 theme is dangerous

Public Standings:

Senecadawg2 - 15
Dark Castle - 14
TAC - 13
Obfuscation - 8
jingle.boy - 8
Scorpion - 8
Nekov - 7
lonestar - 6
Sacul - 4
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 07:18:06 PM by Dr. DTVT »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Dr. DTVT's Peaceful, Euro-game styled roulette - Danger! Round 2 results up!
« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2014, 05:20:08 PM »
infected mushroom receiving a one is a crime against humanity

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #97 on: September 23, 2014, 05:24:28 PM »
Round 3 theme is dangerous

*grabs iPod frantically*

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2014, 05:39:20 PM »
Don't know if I want to go with what could be considered a dangerous choice, or music that sounds dangerous  :lol

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2014, 06:20:06 PM »
I wanted to see if the handicap I gave was too hard to deal with but noticed it wasn't when I saw how many choices I had to choose from and man am I glad I made the right one. Now I'm having the same problem as DC for the next round.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2014, 06:42:19 PM »
Glad you liked it, that band is pretty awesome. Unfortunately they only have 2 records.

infected mushroom receiving a one is a crime against humanity

Agreed

And lonestar's song is fucking awesome, deserves more points

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #101 on: September 23, 2014, 06:45:24 PM »
I've sent that song many times, this is the first that it got slammed. Oh well...

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: September 23, 2014, 06:54:26 PM »
Sent

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: September 23, 2014, 07:01:36 PM »
I've sent that song many times, this is the first that it got slammed. Oh well...

He can be a little picky and eclectic sometimes.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: September 23, 2014, 07:23:24 PM »
The electronica didn't work for me.  Sue me.  Everyone else, especially DC, Obfuscation, Seneca, TAC, and Nekov sent better songs.

Dark Castle, the handicap is supposed to last two rounds.  I just fixed the post.