Author Topic: Dr. DTVT's Peaceful, Euro-game styled roulette - Round 7 results  (Read 25525 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
2 months in, and we're half way through.  Even Nick's went faster than this.

Mason... I say this with all the bro-love that I can:  speed this fuckin thing up, will ya?  There's a waiting list 18 deep.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
I'm getting handicaps from people now, but they have to be done one at a time.  Results as soon as I hear back from them.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
This round was very tough to judge.

Round 5 – Surprise

Sacul: Ulver – I Troldskog Faren Vild
I’ve been sent Ulver twice in previous roulettes and I remember being underwhelmed by it, so I wasn’t too enthused when I saw Ulver again, even though I know their career has covered a lot of ground.  After doing a little research, It seems that the early Ulver would interest me the most, and that’s where this song comes from, and it looks like my research is right, because I do like this song much more than the other Ulver songs I’ve heard.  It’s dark but has a bit of energy to it, but the sound is crisp and I’m guessing well produced based on the quality of this clip.
7/8

TAC: Jerusalem – Beyond the Grave
For being an early 70s hard rock song, this song is all over the place.  The song starts with a section reminiscent of the Canterbury Scene, which later gets replaced with a darker, Black Sabbeth-esque guitar tone, and later a guitar solo in a Phrygian dominant scale, giving that part a very middle-eastern feel, and that is all in the first 3 minutes.  This song really grew on me the more time I had to appreciate it.  It is a shame this band only released one album, because as Ian Gillan said, while there is some rawness in their sound, there is a ton of potential.
6/8

Obfuscation: Maximum the Hormone – Alien
When this song started, I was thinking, “Aaaaannnnd we’re back on track.”  Then about two minutes into the song I had to make sure another one hadn’t started.  The band might be called Maximum the Hormone, but it might as well be called Maximum the Japan, because as a whole this was just one weird ass song and video.  The first half is :metal and balls out brutal.  Had me hook line and sinker.  Then pretty much halfway through the song, what in the actual fuck?  Japan happened, that’s what.  I think the video is worth sharing, because the video, while not judged, is pretty much required viewing if you love crazy Japanese stuff.  If the first half of this song is par for the course for this band, I’m interested.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdwT5JlH8gM  (warning, this will get stuck in your head)
3/8

senecadawg2: Journey – Kohoutek
Neil Schon is a beast on guitar, I’ve known that for a while.  This is the second pre-Perry Journey song I’ve heard, the other one I remember enjoying a lot, and I checked to make sure it wasn’t this one.  This song takes two minutes to get going, but when it does with that simple, but awesome buzzing riff, it takes no prisoners.  At some point I’m going to get these old Journey albums.  Again, score not reflective of how much I actually liked the song.
4/8

Nekov: Von Hertzen Brothers – Bring Out The Snakes
This would have won the round theme if it weren’t for the schizo song Obfuscation sent.  I got a Von Hertzen Bros. song in a previous roulette, and remember not being very wowed by it.  I’m going to guess that the first half of this song isn’t typical for the band, and it was just them being goofy.  The second half of this song was more interesting than the last VHB song I got, so at least there is improvement on that front.  I’m not sure if this is a real song, or just a goofy song that bands sometimes put at the end of an album.  This song just ran into a literal buzz saw of death this round.  I’m guessing this song was sent for the round theme, but for non-roulette purposes I would like to see what you think their best song is, because maybe it’s time for me to give this fake boy band another shot (it sounds like a boy band for hormonal teenage girls, you can’t deny that).
1/8

jingle.boy: Beautiful Sin – Lost
Well folks, Nanook of the North has awakened.  I know of this singer from her work with Ayreon and Flaming Row, but didn’t even know what band she came from.  That has now been answered.  This song was enough to convince me to put this on my next amazon order.  This song got in my head like a Ceti eel on my first listen and stayed in front over several listens.
8/8

lonestar: The Hive-Mind– Sparks
Probably this songs biggest problem is that it was less memorable than the other instrumental this round.  It’s not bad at all, but hours later I can still remember what the Journey song sounded like, whereas this song isn’t sticking in my mind.   Again, this was quite enjoyable, but it just ran into very tough competition this round.
2/8

Scorpion: Ensiferum – Lai Lai Hei
Folk metal…he shoots he scores.  With most folk metal, I’m listening more for the music than the lyrics, as the lyrical themes can be hit or miss.  A big chorus helps, and that’s what this song has in “LAI LAI HEI!”.  Overall, a fun romp through the metal forest.
6/8

Dark Castle: Altar of Plagues – God Alone
Damn, that opening riff is jarring, creating a ton of tension right off the bat.  If panic attacks had a soundtrack, this would one of the first songs on it.  Much like DC’s other successful songs, it is dark, loud, and abrasive as 60 grit sandpaper, yet it has a cohesive sound that works. 
5/8
Round theme winner: Obfuscation
HANDICAPS
Jingle.boy, for the next TWO rounds your song name must begin with a G, H, L, U, or V 
Senecadawg2, for the next round, you must send me songs with names that begins with a J, K, Q, X, or Z
TAC, for the next TWO rounds, your song must feature a non-traditional rock/metal instrument (something other than drums, guitar, bass, keyboards), and for the next round your song must be from an album released in 1978 or earlier.
Public Standings
TAC – 30
jingle.boy – 30
Dark Castle – 28
Scorpion – 28
Senecadawg2 – 27
Sacul – 21
Lonestar – 17
Obfuscation – 16
Nekov – 15

Round 6 theme: Spicy

Also, the last round will be an epic round and no one will be handicapped, so you can plan ahead
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 07:36:33 PM by Dr. DTVT »

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
 :'( The first half is goofy but I still think it's a great song.

Not sure what their best song is but I've sent this one before with pretty good results

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faTtBBDE5Es

Will send something later
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Damn... I was hoping to sneak by just under the radar with no handicaps.  I peaked too soon.

Spicy huh....  Let's see what I can find.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline senecadawg2

These last couple of rounds I've been grasping at straws. Damn handicaps have really served their purpose
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Fair assesment of that song, I just like how poppy and catchy it is.

I'll try and send Tuesday.

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
There is so many other songs from Maximum the Hormone I could have sent in the vein of the first half of the song but I really wanted to play along with the theme you picked so I had to pick that one and at least I was the round theme winner again. So at least I've won than more than once. Spicy is next eh? Interesting.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Sent :corn .

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Sent

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Damn... I was hoping to sneak by just under the radar with no handicaps. 

Um..

Quit whining bitch.   

;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
 :lol

Oh snap!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Damn... I was hoping to sneak by just under the radar with no handicaps. 

Um..

Quit whining bitch.   

;D

I deserved that.  :clap:

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
Sent.  :heart
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Sent this morning... along with my parameter.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Regarding the "Epic" theme... what's your definition of "Epic"?  Also, can it be a suite of songs that have multiple tracks/parts to make up one "song".

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Still waiting on lonesous and Scrop.

I'll take a long song (12+ minutes) or a suite, or a shorter doing if it is really epic sounding, but that option is more of an out for someone who doesn't have a long song that I don't already know.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
The album I wanna send from is only on my laptop. I'll try and send tonight, but it could be tricky, gonna be a long day with a new menu going in.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
The album I wanna send from is only on my laptop. I'll try and send tonight, but it could be tricky, gonna be a long day with a new menu going in.

Goddammit... The Earth isn't turning any slower ya know!

Is Tommy Boy in, or does he need a bitch slap too?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Still waiting on Scrop and Sousstar.  RJ, I'll PM you my email if you want to send the song file.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
German efficiency my ass.....

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni

Must...resist...urge...to...post...terrible...joke...response.......

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Thanks for the email, I really need to listen to some snippets from the album to pick a song, and to see the song title. If I'm not too tired when I get home I'll send.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Yeah, Scrop's been about as reliable as the French Army lately.

:france:

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Sent.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Sorry guys, I have been having THE STRESSIEST MONTH ever, but I have finally sent. Sorry about all this.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
It's not his fault, but Scorpion needs to pick a new song.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Oh, ffs.  He better do it faster than 5 days!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
You just made his month even STRESSIER.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
I guess I deserved that. :lol And fear not, I have already sent my replacement song.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
And it has been accepted.  Listening will commence tonight/tomorrow while I grade the exams from hell I wrote.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
This is taking forever :rant:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It's only 5 days after he got all the songs. Is that too long?