Author Topic: Dr. DTVT's Peaceful, Euro-game styled roulette - Round 7 results  (Read 25336 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Dr. DTVT's Peaceful, Euro-game styled roulette - Round 3 results!
« Reply #140 on: October 05, 2014, 09:22:25 AM »

TAC, for the next TWO rounds, your song must be from a band that begins with one of these letters: J, K, Q, X, or Z.
WTF are we playing? Scrabble?

Well, at least you should get a lot of points for these letters.  :lol

I lol'd ... Then I lol'd harder.

So, Scrop wins the round, but no handicap?  Did he find the immunity idol or something?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #141 on: October 05, 2014, 09:27:32 AM »
Handicaps are based on overall public ranking.  TAC got kneecapped in the tie breaker for second place because he did better on round 3 than Seneca.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 08:33:33 PM by Dr. DTVT »

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #142 on: October 05, 2014, 09:58:30 AM »
WTF Mason, I told you I had no idea she was your sister dude!!!!!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: October 05, 2014, 12:08:42 PM »

:rollin :rollin
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #144 on: October 05, 2014, 01:28:04 PM »

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: October 05, 2014, 03:52:39 PM »

Damn.  :lol :lol :rollin :lol :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: October 05, 2014, 08:38:29 PM »
That wasn't my sister.  She's a picky eater and has terrible taste in music.  You two would never get along.  Also, she isn't that big, so that doesn't explain your shattered pelvis.  Matter of fact, I got video of it: NSFW https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKURr_YoNXI

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: October 05, 2014, 09:38:15 PM »
Oh. Dear. God.

:thegoggles:
:theydonothing:

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #148 on: October 05, 2014, 11:42:05 PM »
Man oh man oh man. That shit turned me on. Too distracted now to send the next song.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: October 06, 2014, 11:00:47 AM »
Sent. Based on Jboy's reaction I'm not watching that video.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: October 06, 2014, 11:28:07 AM »

Trust me, you need to thank me until the end of your days.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: October 06, 2014, 12:38:09 PM »

Wuss.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Sent. THAT was NOT easy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Double word score?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Double word score?
:lol
Double Letter on the Z!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
I still need jingle, Scorpion, Obfuscation, and lonestar

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Currently torn between two songs, will send later in the evening.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
I'll send before days end, the combo of themes, our identical music libraries, and the fact that you don't like me is making it difficult.....

:-*

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

No you don't.  Check your email.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Sent biznitches....

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni

You sent to the wrong email, that's why I didn't see it.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

You sent to the wrong email, that's why I didn't see it.

sorry dude.  Stupid gmail autopopulated the address.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
Results today???

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
I have half the round scored.  There is pileup in the middle I need to parse.  Sunday night for sure, and with fall break this week, I can probably band out two rounds if people send on time.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
I know I could send quicker with themes ahead of time :)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Ditto... I really don't know why Roulette hosts don't share ahead of time (unless they don't know themselves).  Really helps the planning process for the players.  For instance, way back in Nick's roulette, I sent Triumph in the opening round, then he had a theme of 3-member band.  Boy, Triumph would've been nice to send that round.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
In my case, it is partly that I haven't thought of themes ahead of time, and the other part of it is that those who are handicapped might not be able to plan ahead.  The themes here haven't been anything very restrictive as a result of the second one, and grading against the theme is more for bonus points and tie breakers.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
True enough, and my comments weren't specific to you... all roulette hosts.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Ditto... I really don't know why Roulette hosts don't share ahead of time (unless they don't know themselves).  Really helps the planning process for the players.  For instance, way back in Nick's roulette, I sent Triumph in the opening round, then he had a theme of 3-member band.  Boy, Triumph would've been nice to send that round.

For Nick, I would've sent Rush for the three man band round. Not sure if he's heard of them. :D

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Results as soon as I hear back on one more handicap.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
I am still waiting on the new handicap for TAC, but I wanted to get these up before Monday morning because if I don't I won't get to until late Monday.  I will PM TAC so he can prepare for one of two choices.

Round 4 – Stealth

The top six songs (4-8 points) in this round were all very close to each other, and I had a hard time trying to separate them, but I managed to do so, because I get paid the big bucks ($0) to do so.

Sacul: Last Crack – Wicked Sandbox
If someone told me Metallica lifted and embellished the secondary riff of this song and made it the famous Enter Sandman riff, I’d listen to that argument, because that’s what I’m hearing, and this song came out first.  Parts of this remind me of Soundgarden, which was my favorite band for a time in high school.  It has that early 90s hard rock/metal feel that is brings back some warm memories.
4/8

TAC: Zonata – Illusion of Madness
This song reminded me of so many other songs in places, in completely good ways.  I hear some Symphony X, some Blind Guardian, some Dimmu Borgir, and a few other things I can’t place that sound familiar.  My only wish would be to hear the song that isn’t being butchered by the rip to get around youtube’s copyright catchers, but I didn’t dock any points for that.  TAC is playing winning five card stud in a seven card stud game now folks.
6/8

Obfuscation: Massive Attack –  Angel
I have heard of Massive Attack, and I have seen this album on tons of lists of influential albums and best albums.  Different people like different kinds of food.  I like my music like I like my food: lots of bold flavors, spicy things, things with lots of different things going on.  This felt like bologna and iceburg lettuce on two slices of plain white bread.  There just wasn’t enough going on musically to keep me interested, which is a big reason I tend to gravitate towards busier music.
1/8

senecadawg2: Dynazty – Starlight
Seneca said this was a fun song, and he delivered on that promise.  This was another straight up power metal song, and it has all the elements of a good power metal song.  It was real hard to separate these power metal songs out, but the biggest difference between them all was the vocalist and the guitar tones.  Not that these were bad, as reflected by the score, this just fell a little flat compared to the others this round.
5/8

Nekov: Genius – There’s A Human
When I saw the lineup for this song, I was pretty excited.  Lots of people I know and trust musically.  When I saw it was a rock opera, I was worried because they can be very good (Streets, Tommy, SBEMAIL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xASjOErPSdI ), or they can be very, very bad.  Well, this one was not at either extreme, but it did feature a cringe inducing chorus, which may have worked better in the context of the album, but alone as a track, that chorus was some rancid cheese – and I don’t really mind good cheese.
3/8

jingle.boy: Mob Rules – The Oswald Files: The Dead Man’s Face Chapter V
I’m not sure if jingle is trying to play to my interest in the JFK assassination with this song, or it is just a coincidence.  Also, I can’t be the only person who immediately doesn’t think of Black Sabbath when they hear the name “Mob Rules”, and I don’t even own that album.  Anyway, I know poor jingle must be getting frustrated at my love/hate relationship with power metal.  This song lies much closer to the love end of that spectrum.  While I don’t mind traditional power metal, I really like when bands take the power metal sound and have songs about things other than fire and fantasy themes.  I will probably end up buying this album just because of the multipart song about Oswald that probably won’t suck if this song is any indication.
7/8

lonestar: Odd Dimension – Light Speed Journey
If there is anything I find more hit or miss than power metal, it is Italian power metal.  I seem to be the one person who is capable of liking power metal who doesn’t care for Mind Key and Soul Secret.  TAC found a hit with Eldritch earlier though, so it isn’t impossible to find an IPM band I might like.  So it was with apprehension that I opened lonestar’s incorrectly linked song the first time, his performance up to this point not withstanding :)  As I started listening, I realized this wasn’t sucking.  No…this was beyond not sucking, this was good.  Damned good.  The guitars were bright, crisp, and powerful, as was everything else.  Dare I say, round winner.
8/8

Scorpion: Persefone – Truth Inside The Shades
While over half the people decided to go power metal this round, Scorp decided to go back to the well that worked for him last round, sticking to subgenres of death metal.  I think calling this band late 90s Opeth’s cousin would be a fair comparison, different enough in the harsh vocals to not warrant the sibling connection, but similar enough to say that fans of Opeth probably would like this as well.  Also, this is one of the few bands you can get into from Andorra, regardless of the genre. 
6/8

Dark Castle: Haim – Forever
I knew DC had a part of him that likes poppy music, and was just wondering when it was going to turn up in my roulette.  My MO for listening to these is to usually open it in another tab, and not watch the video.  With a very 80s sounding intro and the band name of “Haim”, I was starting to expect this to be a Corey Haim tribute band :lol  For poppy music, this was actually good.  I might not ever reach out to listen to this, but I don’t think I would complain about having it imposed on me occasionally, and I certainly wouldn’t argue that they are no talent hacks riding their good looks and a strong push from a record company.  These girls can sing.  The vocals were the stand out of this song, beefing up a rather plain accompaniment.  This song isn’t bad, and I would be happy if bands like this started taking over top 40 and replacing the manufactured crap, but this type of music just really isn’t my thing.
2/8

Round theme winner: jingle.boy

HANDICAPS

Senecadawg2, for the next TWO rounds , you must send me songs with names that begins with a J, K, Q, X, or Z

TAC, for the next TWO rounds, your song must be from an album ?? WAITING ON SELECTION ??, and for the next round your song must be from a band that begins with one of these letters: J, K, Q, X, or Z.

Dark Castle, for the next round your song must be from an album released in 2013

Public Standings
TAC – 24
Senecadawg2 – 23
Dark Castle – 23
jingle.boy – 22
Scorpion – 22
Lonestar – 15
Sacul – 14
Nekov – 14
Obfuscation - 12

Round 5 theme:  Surprise!  (and no one can send "Surprise!  You're Dead!" by Faith No More
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 12:29:29 AM by Dr. DTVT »

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Cool, out of the gutter  :metal

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
Now I have to get out of the gutter again I believe. Fuck. Sent anyway.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

lonestar: Odd Dimension – Light Speed Journey
If there is anything I find more hit or miss than power metal, it is Italian power metal.  I seem to be the one person who is capable of liking power metal who doesn’t care for Mind Key and Soul Secret.  TAC found a hit with Eldritch earlier though, so it isn’t impossible to find an IPM band I might like.  So it was with apprehension that I opened lonestar’s incorrectly linked song the first time, his performance up to this point not withstanding :)  As I started listening, I realized this wasn’t sucking.  No…this was beyond not sucking, this was good.  Damned good.  The guitars were bright, crisp, and powerful, as was everything else.  Dare I say, round winner.
8/8

I used this very song in Kirk's roulette a couple of years ago. Love Odd Dimension. Would've likely used them in this roulette but they don't fit any of the handicaps.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Sent
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants.