Author Topic: Great Live Dvd's/Blu Ray/Vhs  (Read 2835 times)

Offline Xenon

Great Live Dvd's/Blu Ray/Vhs
« on: August 25, 2014, 02:22:36 PM »
So, What would be on Your Opinion Great Live Performances caught on Film? Those where you were not only delighted by the music but astonished by the beautiful image, edition, direction, scenarios, and Landscapes.
For Example:
-Anesthetize by Porcupine Tree. Directed by Lasse Hoile. I find this DVD beautifully melancholic, and does a great job matching the atmosphere of what Porcupine Tree songs try to say.
-Heima by Sigur Ros. This dvd is just beautiful: A beautiful band, playing beautiful music for free in different beautiful locations of their home country, Iceland. Some of those are really small villages, or places in the middle of nothing. The Landscapes will leave you in awe. At the end you would like to travel to Iceland for sure.

Anyone would like to recommend anything?

BTW I looked for similar threads, apologies if there's another thread that i couldn't find.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: Great Live Dvd's/Blu Ray/Vhs
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 02:25:11 PM »
I really really like Völkerball: Live in Nimes by Rammstein, such a great spectacle and an amazing crowd. While Rammstein have always done some cool stuff on stage, that one is where they were at the top of their, so to speak. And the setlist is killer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VP2k1dWk3w

scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Xenon

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 02:35:32 PM »
I really really like Völkerball: Live in Nimes by Rammstein, such a great spectacle and an amazing crowd. While Rammstein have always done some cool stuff on stage, that one is where they were at the top of their, so to speak. And the setlist is killer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VP2k1dWk3w
Even though i'm not into Rammstein i must admit that their live performance are so fun to watch. They put the hell of a show.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 03:12:59 PM »
Yeah, Rammstein live shows must be a quite a spectacle. They're the one band that I absolutely have to see live before they retire. I've missed them twice already. :dangerwillrobinson:
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 03:39:50 PM »
They all may not be visually splendid but sonically they're top notch!

Toto - Live in Poland
Phil Collins - Finally... The First Farewell Tour
Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize
Steve Wilson - Get All You Deserve
Devin Townsend Project - The Retinal Circus
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 04:06:09 PM »
Iron Maiden - En Vivo - great crowd and the visuals are amazing, poor setlist though
Kamelot - One Cold Winters Night - My favorite concert on DVD.  Simply amazing on all fronts and even more amazing is that its in a small venue which I feel like is more difficult to make it visually appealing
311 - Live in New Orleans 311 Day - Nothing special about the sound or picture, this is all about the set.  Over 3 hours and so many songs performed including rare/bsides and covers.
Blind Guardian - Imaginations through the Looking Glass - They set up a two day festival just to get a large BG fan base there and it shows.  The crowd makes this DVD awesome, and Then There Was Silence is also amazing and maybe worth the price of the DVD alone.
Within Temptation - Black Symphony - Awesome all around, good sound picture, solid set list and the orchestra/choir/sharon = amazing.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 06:36:40 PM »
Speaking of great dvds filmed in Small venues:

Transatlantic - The Whirlwhind Live
Thats is one Visually flawless dvd.

Offline adace

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 07:16:45 PM »
Off the top of my head:

Opeth - Lamentations
Rammstein - Volkerball
Pink Floyd - Pulse
Amon Amarth - Wrath of the Norsemen
Testament - Dark Roots of Thrash
Devin Townsend - By a Thread
Gojira - The Flesh Alive
Nightwish - Showtime Storytime

Offline Xenon

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 09:25:52 PM »
Those two sets with the more melodic and brutal stuff  in lamentations are so amazing! It works perfectly
Also I would like to add Opeth at the Albert Hall. Amazing setlist and amazing Visuals. Love the atmosphere in Blackwater Park. The only thing that lets me down is "the moor". I love that song so much, album version is perfect and i feel that is hard to reproduce live.

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 11:40:16 PM »
Reminds me I need to finish that Rammstein DVD since I have liked the first 20 minutes or so that I watched of i and have always liked their shows in video I've seen.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 12:44:16 AM »
Yeah, Rammstein live shows must be a quite a spectacle. They're the one band that I absolutely have to see live before they retire.
Agreed. Next time they come to Holland I'm definitely going.

Those two sets with the more melodic and brutal stuff  in lamentations are so amazing! It works perfectly. Also I would like to add Opeth at the Albert Hall. 
Agreed, those DVDs are awesome.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 12:52:47 AM »
Foo Fighters - Live At Wembley Stadium
Pain Of Salvation - Ending Themes (On The Two Deaths Of Pain Of Salvation)
Queen - Live At Wembley

Greetings...
Nef

Offline adace

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 03:40:50 AM »
Forgot to mention Anathema - Universal. Just a stunning performance.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 05:16:53 AM »
Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize
Dream Theater - Images & Words Live in Tokyo
Paradise Lost - Draconian Times MMXI
Rush - Rush in Rio
Opeth - Roundhouse Tapes
Anathema - Universal

Offline Xenon

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 02:04:56 PM »
Universal is a tear bringing dvd.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 02:24:18 PM »
Kamelot - One Cold Winters Night - Simply amazing on all fronts and even more amazing is that its in a small venue which I feel like is more difficult to make it visually appealing
Blind Guardian - Imaginations through the Looking Glass - They set up a two day festival just to get a large BG fan base there and it shows.  The crowd makes this DVD awesome, and Then There Was Silence is also amazing and maybe worth the price of the DVD alone.
Within Temptation - Black Symphony - Awesome all around, good sound picture, solid set list and the orchestra/choir/sharon = amazing.

I agree with all of those.

My favourite DVD of all time must be David Gilmour - Remember That Night, simply amazing record all around. Also the concerts I love:

Blackmore's Night - Castles and Dreams - great outdoor atmosphere at the castle, nice acoustics and stuff, incredibly pleasant to watch and listen, love it
Helloween - Live on Three Continents - this one is a good fun to watch with friends and beer
Avantasia - The Flying Opera - Jorn in action, Andre Matos too, great stuff all around

edit: forgot the latest Nightwish - Showtime, Storytime release, that's a nice one too.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 03:21:54 PM »
A few of you mentioned the Nightwish Showtime Storytime.  I have that one and I did not list it as "great" because I felt that it would have been much better if it wasnt filmed from a festival.  The concert did not give me an intimate feeling of being there with the band.  I do think the performance is great and the audio/video quality is also very good.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 04:23:37 PM »
I'm gonna risk my reputation in this forum (? :lol by saying The Final Riot by Paramore is amazing too.
Yeah, I now  :loser:

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 06:06:19 AM »
but paramore is awesome

Offline Riitasointi

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2014, 10:04:07 AM »
On the top of my head

Nightwish - Showtime, Storytime
Floor Jansen just kills it in this concert, I think she's a better singer and frontwoman (is that a word? :lol) than the two previous vocalists combined. The setlist is also great, The Song of Myself alone is worth it :hefdaddy

Blind Guardian - Imaginations Through The Looking Glass
Man, what a crowd!! It always gives me chills how they keep singing the chorus of Valhalla even after the song has ended. An extremely energetic show from one of the best speed/power metal bands. Amazing setlist in this one too.

Opeth - Lamentations
Great atmosphere through both of the sets. Mikael was at the top of his game when it comes to the growling vocals at this point, and I really like that. His cleans are not as good as nowadays tho but okay none the less. And you just can't beat Martin Lopez on the drums can you?

Iron Maiden - Rock In Rio
You could pick any Maiden DVD and not be disappointed. I picked this because the whole band and Bruce especially is on fire on this one. Also because RIR was one of the first Maiden lives I heard and it affected me a lot.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2014, 10:09:37 AM »
I'm not a huge one for watching concert DVDs but a few of my "most influential"..........

Van Halen: Live Without A Net
DT: Live In Japan
Gotthard: Made In Switzerland
Ozzy Osbourne : The Ultimate Ozzy....not the best production but I'll take what I can get from Jake E Lee.  I wish Randy Rhoads Tribute had vision.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2014, 10:19:18 AM »
Iron Maiden - Rock In Rio
You could pick any Maiden DVD and not be disappointed. I picked this because the whole band and Bruce especially is on fire on this one. Also because RIR was one of the first Maiden lives I heard and it affected me a lot.

If this was edited like Flight 666 or En Vivo, it would be up there for me.  The crowd, set list, and performance are amazing.

Van Halen: Live Without A Net

I forgot about that.  I really enjoy that one.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2014, 10:24:55 AM »
Universal is a tear bringing dvd.

All of this.

Most live DVDs don't have a lot of replay value for me, after a couple viewings/listens, but Universal hasn't gotten old at all in this past year. I think I've probably watched it about two dozen times.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2014, 10:26:40 AM »
And you just can't beat Martin Lopez on the drums can you?

You can't

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2014, 10:39:07 AM »
Speaking of great dvds filmed in Small venues:

Transatlantic - The Whirlwhind Live
Thats is one Visually flawless dvd.

Actually, both Live In Europe and Whirld Tour 2010: Live In London are amazing live video concerts. They've been two of my favorites for years!

I'll also throw in Spock's Beard's Don't Try This At Home, which perfectly captures the Beard at the time. Great performances, a raw, live feel, and just a wonderful concert overall.

I'll also throw in two Yes videos - Symphonic Live and Songs From Tsongas. The latter is especially good with some amazing visuals on top of a colorful stage set up!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Xenon

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2014, 10:57:53 AM »
I don't know how I forgot this one

Orphaned Land - The Road to Or-Shalem
Amazing crowd, perfect setlist, and perfect performance. The visuals are beautiful.

Also, the time it's right to watch it again. Here I go  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2014, 11:37:55 AM »
OASIS - THERE AND THEN
Live From Maine Road, Manchester.

GREEN DAY - BULLET IN A BIBLE
Live From Milton Keynes Bowl.

FOO FIGHTERS - EVERYWHERE BUT HOME
Live from Toronto.

Offline Riitasointi

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2014, 11:51:20 AM »
GREEN DAY - BULLET IN A BIBLE
Live From Milton Keynes Bowl.

Ooh I had forgotten about that one! Very good concert DVD, Green Day at their prime I'd say.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2014, 05:52:34 PM »
Amazing artist.  Tight band.  Phenominal guitar player (Justin D'Errico).

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2014, 03:20:53 AM »
Nightwish - From Wishes To Eternity
Old line up, songs from the first three albums, in a small venue.
Nothing spectacular in either audio or video, but it has a lot of character about it.

Within Temptation - Black Symphony
This one is my bench mark for all live music DVD/BR.
Everything about this is massive, the sound, orchestra, choir, visuals and a great set list.

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells III
MO doesn't play live very often, but when he does it's a special occasion.
The premier of TB3 at Earl's Court London, in the rain, with a massive of ensemble of musicians
used to create what one man does in the studio.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2014, 06:09:37 AM »
Nothing spectacular in either audio or video, but it has a lot of character about it.

This is a great DVD.  I love the small venue and you can almost feel the energy in that room while watching the DVD.  It also helps that its mostly Wishmaster material which is a fantastic album and that type of music they used to play fits well with the small venue/energy feel that you get from this.  My negative, its not a full screen widescreen DVD (maybe it is in Europe?)  End of an Era is the same although the Blu Ray of that is full screen.  Its just annoying when you watch it on TV and there is so much black space on the screen.

Offline 425

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2014, 01:19:16 PM »
As people have said, pretty much any Maiden choice is a fantastic one. I would go with Rock In Rio on the whole, because of the absolutely electric atmosphere, the awesome stage, the brilliant performances and the setlist. But you can't really go wrong with Live After Death either, because, come on, it's fucking Live After Death.

I don't have From Wishes To Eternity, but I have the other two Nightwish ones and have to say that while I like Showtime, Storytime, End of an Era is a better DVD in my opinion.

I also got Anesthetize recently and would recommend that one highly.

Outside of these, I don't have that many live DVDs. There are also some that I have but haven't watched yet, like the Rush Replay x3 box set and Coldplay's Live 2003.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2014, 01:56:50 PM »

This is a great DVD.  I love the small venue and you can almost feel the energy in that room while watching the DVD.  It also helps that its mostly Wishmaster material which is a fantastic album and that type of music they used to play fits well with the small venue/energy feel that you get from this.  My negative, its not a full screen widescreen DVD (maybe it is in Europe?)  End of an Era is the same although the Blu Ray of that is full screen.  Its just annoying when you watch it on TV and there is so much black space on the screen.

Yeah mine is also in 4.3 and came from Finland (actually Thoumas gave it to me personally, but that's another story).
I don't really like EoaE too much, even though I was at the show, it is a little dark for me.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2014, 04:27:32 PM »
Alter Bridge's Live From Amsterdam.  Pretty much, any Rush DVD post-2001 (especially Rush in Rio and Snakes and Arrows Live).  Definitely, Foo Fighters' Live At Wembley Stadium.  Iron Maiden's En Vivo, Flight 666, Rock in Rio.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2014, 04:29:34 PM »

Yeah mine is also in 4.3 and came from Finland (actually Thoumas gave it to me personally, but that's another story).
I don't really like EoaE too much, even though I was at the show, it is a little dark for me.

That's awesome about Thoumas, but my DVD has an even worse ratio, I believe it is 1.33:1.  Same with End of an Era, but they do have a blu ray with 16:9 which Id buy to replace my DVD, but it's ridiculously expensive on amazon.