Author Topic: DT with a female frontman?  (Read 5402 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
DT with a female frontman?
« on: August 24, 2014, 06:26:17 PM »
I always thought that, given the range of the melodies DT writes for James, a female singer could easily have fit the spot very well. In fact, of the vocal covers I've seen of early DT material, the women were usually the only ones who could do it justice.
Two questions:

a) Did they consider a female singer in the early days when they were shopping for singers? (Is that mentioned in Lifting Shadows, or an interview?)
b) Who do you think could have done a good job?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: DT with a female frontman?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 06:29:31 PM »
Floor amirite?

Actually, having female guest vocals would be pretty cool I think.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 06:34:51 PM »
I'd rather they had a male frontwoman.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 06:50:57 PM »
a) No idea.
b) Floor Jansen (After Forever / Revamp / Nightwish), or Skin (Skunk Anansie).
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 07:01:52 PM »
I don't think they ever considered it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MetropolisDLX

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 07:12:31 PM »
A woman named Barbara Chiovelli was auditioned. She returned on a number of occasions to work on the song "The Ones Who Help To Set The Sun". They finally passed on her because they thought they wouldn't be as successful marketing-wise being fronted by a female vocalist. It says so on page 38 of Lifting Shadows.

I have a few favorite female vocalists, but I can't imagine them replacing JLB.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 08:04:27 PM »
Even if they did let JLB go, switching this late into their career is probably not something they'd consider.
But yeah, I could think of a few female vocalists who could probably pull off DT's songs pretty well. Kobra Paige comes to mind, although ironically, her voice is actually deeper than LaBrie's, haha.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 08:10:03 PM »
I don't remember where I read it (perhaps in the WDaDU demos liner notes) but I know I read that the guys *did* in fact give consideration to having a frontwoman. I don't recall exactly what the reason was why they didn't go with one, but they did give a reason.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 08:16:07 PM »
I could hear it. It would sound great, too. Wont happen, though. I'm content with that. Didn't JP say something along the lines that the lineup they have now is it? As in, if anyone were to bail, DT would be done.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 08:34:50 PM »
I could hear it. It would sound great, too. Wont happen, though. I'm content with that. Didn't JP say something along the lines that the lineup they have now is it? As in, if anyone were to bail, DT would be done.
They said that before MP left too, and we see what happened there. Never say never.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 09:07:26 PM »
Did they ever say they'd be done though? All I've seen is the typical "this is the definitive and permanent lineup" PR stuff that they've been saying since at least JR joined the band.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 05:46:39 AM »

This.  And I hope they never do.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 06:35:06 AM »
A woman named Barbara Chiovelli was auditioned. She returned on a number of occasions to work on the song "The Ones Who Help To Set The Sun". They finally passed on her because they thought they wouldn't be as successful marketing-wise being fronted by a female vocalist. It says so on page 38 of Lifting Shadows.

I have a few favorite female vocalists, but I can't imagine them replacing JLB.
Thanks for the correction.  I don't have the book.

Did you guys not read this?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 07:09:06 AM »
Female frontman...

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 07:32:39 AM »
Frontwoman?  Frontperson?

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 07:40:03 AM »
Full frontal womang :zydar:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 05:18:35 PM »

Why not? Let's presume James calls it quits, but the other guys don't feel anywhere like stopping (situation sound familiar?). I can say from experience of shopping for singers with my DT tribute band back in the day, that of the 10 people we had come in, the two girls were the only ones capable of easily delivering the IAW material. Like, think 1990 JLB ease.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2014, 05:24:12 PM »

Transvestite?

Transsexual?

It gets VERY confusing...
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 05:29:06 AM »

Why not? Let's presume James calls it quits, but the other guys don't feel anywhere like stopping (situation sound familiar?). I can say from experience of shopping for singers with my DT tribute band back in the day, that of the 10 people we had come in, the two girls were the only ones capable of easily delivering the IAW material. Like, think 1990 JLB ease.

I guess it's just cause I'm not that keen on female fronted metal as others.  JUst with a prog band like DT, I don't see a female fitting the frontperson role.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2014, 05:50:35 AM »
Or a front malewoman.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline lithium112

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2014, 12:42:53 PM »
I guess it's just cause I'm not that keen on female fronted metal as others.  JUst with a prog band like DT, I don't see a female fitting the frontperson role.

Why not?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2014, 01:36:12 PM »
Or a front malewoman.

...but why Male Models ?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2014, 01:55:59 PM »
 Angela Gossow?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2014, 05:25:11 PM »

Why not?

Because I just don't see it. For me, women seem to be more suited for the death metal thing or the more symphonic type of thing.  A full on prog band like DT who's fanbase consists of a lot of men and musicians, just doesn't seem like the type of band for a front women to me.  Also, changing it up and getting in a female I don't think is what DT would be going for these days.

Might be a strange opinion, but that's just how I think.

Offline lithium112

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2014, 05:48:13 PM »
Because I just don't see it. For me, women seem to be more suited for the death metal thing or the more symphonic type of thing.  A full on prog band like DT who's fanbase consists of a lot of men and musicians, just doesn't seem like the type of band for a front women to me.  Also, changing it up and getting in a female I don't think is what DT would be going for these days.

Ah, I didn't realize you were making a distinction between prog and other forms of metal. I don't really agree but can understand where you're coming from. I also agree that I doubt DT specifically would make such a big change this late in their careers.

But I do hope to see some prominent prog metal bands with female singers in the future. Based on the tendency for high-register operatic vocals alone, I always felt that women might fare better in prog metal. I'd be totally down for someone like Alissa White-Gluz fronting a prog band. Would be epic.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2014, 05:50:33 PM »

Ah, I didn't realize you were making a distinction between prog and other forms of metal. I don't really agree but can understand where you're coming from. I also agree that I doubt DT specifically would make such a big change this late in their careers.

But I do hope to see some prominent prog metal bands with female singers in the future. Based on the tendency for high-register operatic vocals alone, I always felt that women might fare better in prog metal. I'd be totally down for someone like Alissa White-Gluz fronting a prog band. Would be epic.

Yeah agree as I said.  I think this would be the biggest factor in regards to this topic.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2014, 05:53:02 PM »
I don't think replacing James with a female singer is really the way to go, but it would be cool to hear some of the mentioned singers guest on a DT song or two in the future.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2014, 09:37:16 AM »
Well, the most popular prog band here in the Philippines is fronted by a female singer. Here's a sample of of their live performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia2xjoQeBzQ

They had a lineup change. Abby Clutario is now not just singing and playing keyboards. She's playing the chapman stick also. So she's doing a John Myung also.  :metal  Amazing lady.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppd9VIX2L48

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2014, 09:47:09 AM »

:lol  We'll just call it a "tranny".  :rollin
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2014, 09:52:57 AM »
Ke$ha, anybody?
"And I can't escape from the enemy insi, si, si, suwhhhh."  :justjen

Offline lithium112

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2014, 05:34:59 PM »
:lol  We'll just call it a "tranny".  :rollin

FYI that word is considered quite offensive.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2014, 05:36:41 PM »
Since when?

Offline PetFish

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2014, 05:40:22 PM »
Since when?

I'm sure every word is offensive to somebody somewhere.  I wish society would stop worrying so much about being politically correct these days.  It's out of control.

Offline lithium112

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2014, 05:48:27 PM »
Since when?

I'm not sure when/if there was a definitive moment the word "became" offensive, but multiple groups/individuals affiliated with the trans community have made this statement in the past. Feel free to google it if you want to learn more! I'm just providing some info in case Dublagent66 or others didn't know that it's not the best word to use to describe trans people.

I'm sure every word is offensive to somebody somewhere.  I wish society would stop worrying so much about being politically correct these days.  It's out of control.

What exactly is out of control about mentioning that this word is considered derogatory to a certain marginalized group of people?

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2014, 05:50:18 PM »
Since when?

That's true, but I don't think tranny is the same as fag. The latter is used in a derogatory way, whereas tranny is short for transsexual or transvestite. Maybe I'm wrong. Any transvestites on the forum wanna chime in?

Dream Theater.