Author Topic: The moment when the band just CLICKED for you?  (Read 10389 times)

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
Re: The moment when the band just CLICKED for you?
« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2014, 04:48:36 AM »
Does anyone think maybe a thread saying what all the acronyms mean is a good idea? It has sometimes taken me quite some time to work out what SDOIT & TOWHTSTS were!  :sad:

Here you go!!! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=39318.0
DAMMIT! WHY

DOES

EVERYONE

HERE

ALWAYS

PROVE

ME

WRONG?

>:( >:( >:(

Offline Tim van Duijn

« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2014, 04:57:38 AM »
A friend of mine turned on the Chaos in Motion DVD and Constant Motion was playing and i immediately loved it. That's right, i loved Constant Motion. One of the songs that doesn't do anything for most DT fans on the worst DT DVD ever. But i also loved Panic Attack.

I wasn't into rock or metal at all, but i remember my dad playing Ytse Jam at home when i was a bit younger (when i was around 5-6 or so) so i remembered that tune and from that moment i started digging the discography.

I'm very critical when it comes to music, so to come across a band of which you like EVERY song and give you goosebumps is something you can only dream off. I went to the Rotterdam show 3 months later and from that moment i was part of something extremely big. Manly tears were shed during the improv section before Hollow Years by JP and JR and during the final part of The Count of Tuscany. Haven't heard anything so beautiful..

Now i'm a hardcore fan!

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2014, 05:06:30 AM »
DAMMIT! WHY
DOES
EVERYONE
HERE
ALWAYS
PROVE
ME
WRONG?

Actually, sir, I just wanted to help you out!

« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2014, 08:39:11 AM »
DAMMIT! WHY
DOES
EVERYONE
HERE
ALWAYS
PROVE
ME
WRONG?

Actually, sir, I just wanted to help you out!

:mehlin

Offline theaterdream

« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2014, 07:45:12 PM »
Hi all. Brand new here. Been wanting to sign up for awhile but never did till now.

Great topic. I first heard Pull Me Under back in the early 90s and I really wanted to know more about this new band Dream Theater. I really just stumbled on them. I loved IAW...great album. The real magic on that album is Another Day, Wait For Sleep and Learning To Live...at least to me.  Their music always seemed so moving. Just very emotional to me. I had always heard Rush and listened to bands like them but DT was different. They seemed like a breath of fresh air back at that time. I never really cared for metal that much and still don't.  I like rock, some prog, movie soundtracks, heck even soft rock and classical.

Somewhere a long the way I didn't follow them much for a bit. I didn't like TOT, SC or BCSL all that much. I liked a few songs here and there but I no longer found myself able to listen to an enire album from beginning to end. They just went too metal for my taste. To me they lost that magic. The music didn't seem emotionally driven as much anymore. And that was the main aspect of their music I enjoyed most.

To give you an idea of the DT songs I find to be their best most emotional and my favorite are these gems: Learning To Live, Another Day, Wait For Sleep, Space Dye Vest, Scarred, Silent Man, Hollow Years, Solitary Shell, Misunderstood (edit version), Wither, Breaking All Illusions, Outcry, Far from Heaven, Surrender To Reason,  Illumination Theory and The Bigger Picture. I just don't really enjoy their more metal side. Sometimes James' singing seems odd. Sometimes he seems ss if he his shouting more than singing. More so on SC, TOT and BCSL. ADTOE and DT to me are top albums by them truly emotional and beautiful.

Offline Enalya

« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2014, 03:53:04 AM »
Score.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2014, 04:00:51 AM »
2001 Images And Words.

Offline Viking of the Sagas

« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2014, 08:52:49 AM »
Listening to the song Octavarium when I was depressed. It made me cry and then made me search for more DT stuff, and that's how it started.

Offline wantija

« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2014, 10:15:47 AM »
Heard Pull me Under, but thought it was too long. Then 2 years later while playing it on Guitar Hero... I still thought it was too long :P Shortly afterwards I decided to look them up on Youtube to see their other stuff. Clicked a link to Under a Glass Moon (because the title seemed weird) and fell in love with the intro and the whole band afterwards.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2014, 11:26:18 AM »
PMU.  1st song on I&W.  The rest is history, as they say.

It's that simple for me as well (though if I had to get very specific, it's when they went into the chorus for the first time).

« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2014, 02:41:49 PM »
To give you an idea of the DT songs I find to be their best most emotional and my favorite are these gems: Learning To Live, Another Day, Wait For Sleep, Space Dye Vest, Scarred, Silent Man, Hollow Years, Solitary Shell, Misunderstood (edit version), Wither, Breaking All Illusions, Outcry, Far from Heaven, Surrender To Reason,  Illumination Theory and The Bigger Picture.
We are like.... the same!  :biggrin:

Offline adamack

« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2014, 04:46:46 PM »
I got into DT a bit later than most.

In 2000, I decided to buy SFaM pretty blindly. The only song I really knew from DT at that point was Metropolis.

I was listening to Home and it just hit me how much I loved the chorus.

SFaM slowly but surely became my favorite album, a masterpiece.

I have been a fan ever since.

However, I honestly did not expect the albums which came after SFaM to be any good.

They all ended up blowing me away. All of them. Most consistent band ever.

Offline HolidaysAnoraks

« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2014, 04:49:54 PM »
My first DT album was Awake, and while I enjoyed it, the band didn't really click for me until I heard the LSFNY version of A Change Of Seasons

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2014, 05:18:36 PM »
First time I heard PMU on the radio in 1992.

Ditto.

Yup.

Yeppers.

Although, DT is not my favorite band, like the OP assumed they were for all of us.

Maybe I didn't use the right words.

Perhaps I should have said: "If they are-or later became-your favorite band, or a band you didn't much care for originally, but caused you to change your mind later on, how did it happen?
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline adamack

« Reply #84 on: September 26, 2014, 06:56:28 PM »
A friend of mine turned on the Chaos in Motion DVD and Constant Motion was playing and i immediately loved it. That's right, i loved Constant Motion. One of the songs that doesn't do anything for most DT fans on the worst DT DVD ever. But i also loved Panic Attack.

Dude, Constant Motion and Panic Attack kick ass!

That first riff that comes in after the intro in CM will always be among my favorite of Petrucci's hard riffs.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #85 on: September 26, 2014, 08:05:58 PM »
Hellz yeah, Constant Motion and Panic Attack are top 20 songs!  :metal (might have even been a time when I said top 10). I love most of the all out heavy songs. They seem to be criminally underrated around here because they're more 1 dimensional songs from a band that has many angles to them, but I find whenever they do a full on, straight to the point rocker it's normally pretty kickass.  :hat

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: October 01, 2014, 06:25:34 PM »
Train of Thought....I must say I did get into them more once JP and MP came out to Australia in 2006 for G3 with Satriani and Vai.  :smiley:

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #87 on: October 02, 2014, 12:12:37 PM »
When I heard my first song and video by the band after watching a Rush show on cable TV.  The song was OTBOA.  I initially thought it was a new band and then went to  Wikepedia to read up on the band.  This forum has introduced me to some great bands that I would never have thought about -  PT, Haken, Frost and by new listen to band Beardfish.

Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #88 on: October 02, 2014, 12:34:15 PM »
A live performance! Last show of ADTOE Tour, Brasília/Brazil, september 1st,  2012.
Changed my life!

Offline MiracleSleeper

« Reply #89 on: October 02, 2014, 02:00:38 PM »
I'll post an image and a word, to explain how I got into DT:

+

"HOME"
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 11:14:11 PM by MiracleSleeper »

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: October 02, 2014, 05:30:19 PM »
About 30 seconds into "6:00", the very first listen to any DT.  That's how long it took to set sail on a 20 year adventure :)

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #91 on: October 06, 2014, 05:49:00 PM »
Overture 1928 on first listen of SFAM. Prior to that I had I&W for a while, though it wasn't the best first encounter. SFAM pulled me in, definitely. Nowadays I rarely listen to it anymore.. weird. I&W is a favorite forever though. Maybe it's SFAM's concept album thingy that isn't that attractive to dive into often.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #92 on: October 08, 2014, 10:23:06 PM »
One of my best friends got me into Iron Maiden a few years prior, then about 3 years later he discovers Dream Theater. He played me Chaos In Motion and I was pretty underwhelmed. I thought they all looked like overweight plumbers playing wanky music that I couldn't hear too well through their old TV. Then a few weeks later I decided to give them another go on the recommendation of my friend again. He gave me TOT knowing I liked more heavy metal stuff at the time. As I Am hooked me instantly! That album kicked so much ass and I've been a diehard ever since.

Since then I've grown to appreciate so much more music because I fell in love with all aspects of what DT offered, and then different bands that incapsulated similar individual elements. I can say my life would be drastically different if DT wasn't a part of it.
May The Force Be With You.

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #93 on: October 09, 2014, 08:43:18 AM »
I heard A Change Of Seasons on a local college radio station in 1999 and it blew me away. A few months later Scenes From A Memory came out and that just cemented my love for the band.
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #94 on: October 09, 2014, 10:17:11 AM »
It was when Petrucci's classic heavy riff at the start of PMU comes in.  To go from that vibe laden intro with dreamy keys, super chorusy/delay-ey guitars and groovy toms into that brutal riff was breathtaking.  You realize so quickly how versatile these guys are.

Right there is what did it for me.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #95 on: October 10, 2014, 10:16:41 AM »
A friend of mine called me on the phone and said: "You have to listen to this." Right away he played the first ten seconds of every song on I&W and I said: "I WANT THAT."

And as they say: the rest is history.

Long live DT.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #96 on: October 10, 2014, 02:09:58 PM »
Kind of looks like Geddy Lee!

I thought that too  :lol

Oh I just realised it isn't.. At a glance I totally thought that was Geddy Lee.  :rollin

Wow. Getting confused between a music legend and a pedophile...

That's what he said...

A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline DerekTheater

« Reply #97 on: October 10, 2014, 03:28:06 PM »
Rush were my first favorite band, and Iron Maiden soon followed. I still bought a lot of rock mags at the time, and the guys from DT were always talking about Rush, Maiden, Metallica, Slayer, Pantera, and other bands I liked. I finally went and bought Awake and I've been hooked ever since. This was around 2000/2001.