Author Topic: The moment when the band just CLICKED for you?  (Read 10394 times)

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
The moment when the band just CLICKED for you?
« on: August 24, 2014, 05:00:12 PM »
Not the most original topic, I know.

But I'm sure there are a lot of people on here who are new to the band, or the forum, or maybe both.

Assuming that DT is your favorite band, how did it happen? Was there a particular song or album that did it to you? One of their live performances?

Maybe it didn't happen all at once, but just a little at a time. Maybe someone else turned you on to them, or you just heard them by accident.

For me it was the "Images and Words: Live in Tokyo" video. I probably already had the "Images" CD, and maybe even "Dream and Day" I don't remember exactly WHEN I bought the video, but I DO remember that it was a VHS copy, not a DVD. At the most it would be about two years after it was first released, and I don't think it was even that long.
Anyway, I remember being absolutely blown away by this ROCK band that could play so many different styles of music in ways that didn't sound like they were trying too hard, which in my opinion had happened too many times in the past, such as with Led Zeppelin. But even back in the early '90s DT came very close to pulling it off.

I remember that I had a very INTENSE emotional reaction to what I was seeing and hearing, because I had never HEARD of "Prog/metal" before. I had WANTED it to exist, but never dreamed that it would...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 05:38:07 PM by chaossystem »
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Sycsa

Re: The moment when the band just CLICKED for you?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 05:24:47 PM »
Live at Budokan was how I got acquainted with the band. I was impressed, but they really didn't click with me at first. I was into classic prog back then and the ToT stuff was pretty alienating, as well as James, whom I considered the weak link back then. I remember thinking "how can such a virtuoso band have such a mediocre singer?" I loved Instrumedley and I had it on my MP3 players for years, knew it inside out without knowing another DT song.

5-6 years later, I decided to give DT another shot. Started discovering their discography by listening to the songs which were featured on Instrumedley. The Dance of Eternity was the first, which I loved, but the rest of Scenes didn't do anything for me at that point (now, it's one of my favorite albums of all time). Soon enough, I got to Metropolis and I&W. Hearing the chorus of Take the Time for the very first time was that singular, magical moment when DT clicked for me. Instantly, James went from weak link to one of the strongest assets in my eyes. I remember, for the next couple of days, I was either listening to DT or thinking about listening to DT.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 05:31:50 PM by Sycsa »

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 05:50:20 PM »
Octavarium (the song). It was just perfection. When I heard that song is when I fell in love with Dream Theater.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline gm5k

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 05:57:04 PM »
It was when Petrucci's classic heavy riff at the start of PMU comes in.  To go from that vibe laden intro with dreamy keys, super chorusy/delay-ey guitars and groovy toms into that brutal riff was breathtaking.  You realize so quickly how versatile these guys are.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 06:16:18 PM »
I got exposed to DT because I had a learning group for Basics of Electrical Engineering at a friend's house, and he was a DT fan. Hated James' voice with a passion at the beginning, didn't get why they wouldn't have a female singer if they wanted a singer with that range.
I loved the music though, it totally expanded my mind about what can be done in music. At some point I got used to James.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 06:17:00 PM »
PMU.  1st song on I&W.  The rest is history, as they say.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 06:19:53 PM »
Actually, I do remember seeing the music video for PMU on a German rock charts show. Thought it sounded like a heavy Genesis, and I actually liked it. Didn't follow up with it though, up until said learning group.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 06:25:24 PM »
After listening to Surrounded for a while, I decided to check out Images and Words, and the rest is history.

Why Surrounded? Well I was a Symphony X fan first, and after reading that they ripped off the beginning of Surrounded for Through The Looking Glass, I downloaded it, and yeah, pretty close. Then I decided to finally give DT a try after writing them off due to other peoples opinions. Yeah, stupid, but I did that. Live at Budokan didn't cut it, so while reading Amazon reviews of their albums, I came across the claim from the beginning of this paragraph and this is why I'm not a professional writer.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 06:28:34 PM »
Saw them opening for Maiden. I was sold with As I Am. Picked up Awake a few weeks later on a whim, loved it.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 06:42:42 PM »
PMU.  1st song on I&W.  The rest is history, as they say.

...and never quite clicked as much since.  Still - pretty much nobody else has either.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 06:43:50 PM »
The Dance of Eternity and Metropolis.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Siddhartha

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 06:54:35 PM »
Octavarium on Score

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 07:00:57 PM »
First time I heard PMU on the radio in 1992.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 07:18:41 PM »

Ditto.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MetropolisDLX

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 07:37:04 PM »
I immediately fell in love with "Panic Attack" on Rock Band 2. I got Octavarium soon afterword and listened to it all the time. It took me another year though to actually listen to the title track all the way through and fall in love with it. The next two albums I got from them were BC&SL, and 6DOIT and I thought they were the best albums ever. I never had an issue with JLB until I first listened to I&W. I thought the high vocals were really annoying and the keyboards turned me off. After a few listens I loved it and became addicted to DT and had to have everything from them. I eventually became a big JLB fan too.

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2014, 08:04:35 PM »
I'd heard PMU from GH: WT before, but I was like 10 and forgot about the song for a while... One day a long time later, I looked it up, and saw it was by Dream Theater. I asked for ADTOE (their most recent at the time) for my 13th birthday, and as soon as I heard "Standing on the backs..." from OTBOA I was hooked.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2014, 08:08:17 PM »
For me DT clicked as soon as LaBrie clicked. I loved their crazy and unpredictable (and diverse) style from minute one, and I knew they were something truly special. But I was not a fan of LaBrie... Until I saw an interview with him, and realized just how cool of a dude he was. From that minute, I loved every part of DT. The interview in question was the Systematic Chaos bonus DVD, by the way.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2014, 08:55:00 PM »
Let's see, I had some exposure to DT from various forms of media in the last 15 years. First time would probably have been when I watched the Dragon Ball Z tv film: The History of Trunks some time around 2001. I actually remember thinking how awesome the soundtrack was for that movie but I had no idea who it was and I wouldn't know for another decade or so that is was a mostly DT soundtrack (SFAM instrumentation specifically).

About 2004 a friend of mine from high school (he was a drummer, I played some guitar and keyboard so we jammed occasionally). One day he showed me a track from this band he quite liked; it was Honor Thy Father and the drum fill at the start blew his mind and he told me about this Mike Portnoy character and how he was inspired to try play like him. The whole song was so intense and full of crazy riffage and was about 10 minutes, I'd never really heard anything quite like it. Most metal I'd heard was fairly generic and simple. So at this point I knew who DT were but it wasn't enough to get me searching for more.. I have know idea why, probably laziness and being content with most of the music I was listening to at the time.

2007 I played some of those guitar hero and rock band games. I enjoyed the rhythm gameplay and actually got quite into it for a while, being a keyboardist I was able to pick it up fairly quickly (funnily enough, I'd compare those fake guitar games more to playing a keyboard than to playing a guitar as far as finger technique and movement goes because of the obvious buttons instead of strings). So we have Pull Me Under on one of the games, Constant Motion as DLC for another and then Panic Attack on yet another game. I loved all 3 of these songs because they were epic, long and rather challenging. (CM was considered to have one of the hardest guitar solos in the game around when it came out) and I was able to recognise the name Dream Theater at this point. I can't believe these songs weren't enough to get me digging into the bands material though; for shame...  :\

Then 2009. My windows media player tries to advertise something to me, it was a preview of A Rite of Passage. I really liked how different yet how catchy it was. And something finally clicked... I went and got BL&SL nearly straight away and started going backwards from there and a few months later I had ALL of the DT material I could get my hands on and was becoming quite familiar with their discography. And have been following them as one of my favorite bands ever since.

So yeah, that about briefly some it up. By the way, that's the short version of the story. :P

Interestingly, On the Backs of Angels came out on the Rock Band Network in 2011 some time, I kinda stopped playing those games like everyone else because they over-saturated the market, but RB3 actually uses real instruments including an actual 6 string guitar and a 2 octave keyboard. I would be really curious to try play the keyboard parts to OTBOA on this version of the game but I'd have to justify spending a few hundred dollars on the new instruments that may be of questionable quality. Funny how those games were just starting to get better (more authentic); right about when people were getting sick of them. There is that whole rocksmith thing now too which looks curious but I haven't been able to check it out yet.   :corn

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2014, 09:07:28 PM »
My first albums with DT are now in the lower-tier of their discography for me (BC&SL, 8V), but I did like them enough to go ahead and check out some of their other stuff. And then I came across Scenes From a Memory.

Enough said, really.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2014, 09:42:30 PM »
Instrumental section of Constant Motion.

It also inspired me to take up drumming 😛  :laugh:

Offline gabeh1018

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2014, 10:06:30 PM »
during 2002, my junior year of  high school
I would bring my guitar and jam with some kids after school hours

one day, a freshmen came up to me and said "think you are good, try and play Under a Glass Moon" by Dream Theater
up until that day, I had never heard of the band or John Petrucci
so I went home and listened and was blown away
I decided to go to Sam Goody in the coming months and purchase a CD of theirs
I purchased A Change of Seasons since it was the cheapest one available
Upon first listen, I wasn't very impressed or blown away so I walked away from the band for awhile
until one rainy day I purchased Awake heard the opening drum intro of 6:00 and the rest if history

Offline efx

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2014, 03:27:10 AM »
Was told in 1992 that I should buy this new album Images & Words that came out. Bought it and put it on. Hooked 2-3 seconds later.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2014, 05:05:08 AM »
Octavarium, in early 2009. Instantly fell in love with it. And, like everyone else who's posted here, the rest is history.

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2014, 05:28:25 AM »
When I was 5, my Dad was playing Pull Me Under in the car. Instantly blown away by it all. First album I bought with my own money was ADTOE.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2014, 05:31:43 AM »
I guess after having owned Images And Words for a while but it didn't click instantly - I listened to Metropolis once again and BANG! I suddenly found myself swimming in a lake of fire.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2014, 05:44:33 AM »
The first minute I heard them.  ACOS I think, then I&W.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Riitasointi

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2014, 08:07:43 AM »
Great idea for a thread!

I've grown to love this band gradually, so there are these... phases I should say.

First album I bought was I&W, of which I had heard a lot of praise. I kinda liked it, some parts were really cool to me but it was nothing mindblowing initially. Then I acquired Octavarium and the title track was something that I loved instantly. One of the best songs ever, filled with amazing moments and to my mind it really flows well together too. And for a while it was like that.

Then in 2011 when ADTOE came out it all changed. I got the record out of curiosity mostly but it was something that really clicked with me. I listened to the album all day every day and only grew to like it more and more. That's when I think I actually became an actual DT fan and started to get into their other records, find out stuff about the members and so on, you know the deal. As a guitar player myself, John Petrucci obviously became someone whom I really look up to.

Final fanboyism was carved in stone when I saw Score for the first time. Man, what a concert! James is spot on, the setlist is very good and the whole feeling and flow of the band is just amazing. Hearing The Spirit Carries On on Score for the first time was one of the strongest experiences I've had in music.

And so here we are.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2014, 09:52:35 AM »
A friend of mine did a metal compilation that for some strange reason had Wait For Sleep in it, and i really liked it. Then i heard parts of what at that time was their new live album, Scenes From New York from another friend of mine, loved it, bought I&W, and so they had a new fan.

Offline tofee35

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2014, 10:16:18 AM »
The tick-tocking at the beginning of Scenes got me very intrigued, Overture 1928 gave me a little tofee in my pants, then Strange deja vu got me permanently hooked on DT.

-Tof

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2014, 10:30:45 AM »
I had played guitar for a few years; in my quest to learn harder songs, I began listening to metal. I was into artists such as Yngwie and Friedman-era Megadeth, and was enthralled by the guitar work. Thought I do not remember how, I heard about a guitarist named John Petrucci. I was told that Train of Thought was his band's heaviest album, and then borrowed it from the library. The guitar riffs and solos were beyond anything I had heard before, though the album as a whole did not click for almost a full year. I bought Images and Words a few months later, and liked it enough to see the band on their ADTOE tour. I had bought ADTOE the day before the show in preparation for it, and constantly listened to it on repeat for almost a week. The concert encouraged me to eventually explore the rest of their discography; it was when I first listened to Awake that the band clicked.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2014, 10:38:09 AM »

Ditto.

Yup.

Yeppers.

Although, DT is not my favorite band, like the OP assumed they were for all of us.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2014, 10:41:51 AM »
DT isn't your favorite band?! Get the fuck off this forum, you traitor!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2014, 10:43:40 AM »
I had heard PMU on a compilation cd and was very impressed.  Bought I&W and that sealed it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2014, 11:04:46 AM »
DT isn't your favorite band?! Get the fuck off this forum, you traitor!