Author Topic: The Dramatic Departure of Mr. Portnoy  (Read 2402 times)

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
The Dramatic Departure of Mr. Portnoy
« on: August 24, 2014, 02:51:25 PM »
I know a lot of people will say that this topic has already been done to death, but I have what I think is a new spin on it.

One of the possibilities  I've been considering is that the other members of the band were already getting together and starting to put new songs together, planning the (Dramatic) album while Mike P. was off doing all of his side projects, such as A7X. I know my timing might be off, but I was just using that as an example. What I meant was that maybe the rest of the band was caught up in the forward momentum of creating new songs for a new album and didn't particularly care if Mike P. was ready to be a part of the current project or not. They may have given him the ultimatum that if wasn't ready to continue when they were, he would/could be replaced.

I was on one of the older threads dealing with this same topic, and a lot of people were saying things like they were sad that Mike P. is no longer in the band, and the chemistry is no longer the same, etc.  Does anyone else still feel that way? Personally I liken it to when a relationship ends and you have to find someone new, or when you have to replace a pet that dies. It might be just as good, but it's not EXACTLY the same. You still have that sense of loss, and that something will always be different from how it originally was.

Just one more thing-and I think this ties in with the change in drummers: JAMES has been credited for writing some of the MUSIC on several songs on both of the last two albums, Dramatic and "12."My theory is that he wrote or even played some of the drum parts, because I remember hearing or reading somewhere that he was a drummer before he was a singer. Either way, does anyone know what his composing contribution to those songs might have been?

I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Sycsa

Re: The Dramatic Departure of Mr. Portnoy
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 03:04:45 PM »

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 03:16:44 PM »
Oh this is gonna end well for sure.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 04:12:42 PM »
INB$ LOCKTAVARIUM

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 04:42:44 PM »
https://youtu.be/sBPdLQSFuj0?t=19s

What's your point?

Other than that you have nothing to ad to this thread.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 05:20:47 PM »
Just one more thing-and I think this ties in with the change in drummers: JAMES has been credited for writing some of the MUSIC on several songs on both of the last two albums, Dramatic and "12."My theory is that he wrote or even played some of the drum parts, because I remember hearing or reading somewhere that he was a drummer before he was a singer. Either way, does anyone know what his composing contribution to those songs might have been?

Uhm... This is hurting my head to read. So you're theorizing that the man that has been singing in DT for 22+ years suddenly wanted to get back into the drums again, and try to compose at a DT-type level? You think that somehow played a role in the MP saga?

... ... ...

Why can't we all just move on?
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 05:25:44 PM »
https://youtu.be/sBPdLQSFuj0?t=19s

What's your point?

Other than that you have nothing to ad to this thread.
Yeah, basically that, I got nothing, other than James most definitely didn't play any drum parts with DT, ever. I don't see a fruitful discussion spawning out of these speculations.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 05:28:56 PM »
I can buy it. James thought MP's drumming was getting stale and thought he could do better even though he hasn't drummed a lick for 20 years. I'd leave too if the singer in my band had the nerve to pull some shit like that.

:neverusethis:

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 05:32:05 PM »
I guess I didn't explain it very well: What I MEANT was: Maybe he wrote and even played some of the drum parts on some of the new songs-especially on "Dramatic"-So that when they DID bring in a new drummer, he would have an idea of waht the band wanted him to do.

Sorry about the confusion.

I was just throwing that out as a possibility. It was the only reason I could think of for James having been given a composing credit

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 05:35:00 PM »
I can buy it. James thought MP's drumming was getting stale and thought he could do better even though he hasn't drummed a lick for 20 years. I'd leave too if the singer in my band had the nerve to pull some shit like that.

VERY funny.

But NOT what I meant.

I meant that maybe James had written and/or played some percussion parts in the music AFTER Mike P. had left, or AFTER they had made the decision to carry on WITHOUT him.

:neverusethis:

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 05:39:54 PM »
You quote failing bastard, you.

Nah, JP programmed the drums, and MM followed and did his own thing with them.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 05:48:19 PM »
I think the major flaw in your theory is that it neither includes Ron Paul nor the Illuminati.

Either way, props. Most out-there theory I have read on this forum, bar none.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 05:48:56 PM »
ITT : James isn't as good a drummer as portnoy & portnoy isnt as good a singer as James.

Nothing else to see here. Let's go home.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 05:53:26 PM »
I think the major flaw in your theory is that it neither includes Ron Paul nor the Illuminati.

Either way, props. Most out-there theory I have read on this forum, bar none.

You bring up the Illuminati, and yet you say MY theory is too far-out?

Okay.

I've heard a little about that theory, but haven't made up my mind about weather or not to take it seriously.

Back to my question: If I'm wrong, then what IS the meaning of James getting the composing credits he's been getting?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 05:58:05 PM »
The full band getting writing credits is much more a PR thing than anything else. JP is the main songwriter, with JR helping. Listen to the interview by the ADTOE producer, he says it right there. But, the point of ADTOE was to show the unity of the band. So, they credited everyone on the album with songwriting. Simple as that.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2014, 06:01:52 PM »
James coming up with a vocal melody counts as a songwriting credit doesn't it?

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2014, 06:03:02 PM »
Ok.

That sounds good.

But the fact that they JUST started doing that on "Dramatic" was what got me curious about it!

Hence my crazy theory...

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2014, 06:03:55 PM »
@Zook: I would think, yeah. That's the extent I can imagine James's involvement in the writing process.
In the 10+ years I've posted on this forum, I have never seen James play an instrument. Even in Nightmare Cinema he was the only one who didn't switch around. Whatever his drum skills are, they're probably as good as mine.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2014, 06:04:51 PM »
I think also, it was the first time in a long time that James stuck around in the studio during the recording process. It was either ADTOE or DT12, not sure, but he usually waits til the music's done, then shows up.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2014, 06:07:39 PM »

Good point.

I was also hoping someone would address my OTHER point:
Could they have already started assembling the songs that ended up on the album WITHOUT Mike P.'s input or participation, and could THAT have been the beginning of the "dramatic turn of events" that lead to his ouster/departure from the band?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2014, 06:08:50 PM »
@Zook: That all started with ADTOE, yeah. But in the end, James will have known his role in DT, so his creative input will have been melodies.

On another note, who did the songwriting on James' solo albums?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2014, 06:09:14 PM »

Good point.

I was also hoping someone would address my OTHER point:
Could they have already started assembling the songs that ended up on the album WITHOUT Mike P.'s input or participation, and could THAT have been the beginning of the "dramatic turn of events" that lead to his ouster/departure from the band?

I doubt it. That would only make MP look worse.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2014, 06:11:23 PM »
Very doubtful, yeah. For the last 5 albums or so DT has written their stuff straight in the studio. It would have been a total change of MO to suddenly start writing behind Mike's back. And also totally nonsensical, since nobody in DT knew about Mike's plans of a hiatus. You don't start bracketing out your drummer out of nowhere, especially when he had been such a strong contributor to previous albums.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2014, 06:12:28 PM »
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2014, 06:18:35 PM »
@Zook:

On another note, who did the songwriting on James' solo albums?

I thought that he collaborated with other LYRICISTS to help him write the LYRICS on his solo projects.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2014, 06:20:57 PM »
I can see that. But who wrote the music?

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2014, 06:23:18 PM »
Probably the musicians.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2014, 06:26:38 PM »
It was me.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2014, 06:47:26 PM »
Godammit
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2014, 08:43:51 AM »
I can see that. But who wrote the music?

Matt writes the bulk of it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."