Author Topic: When Dream And Today Unite & Scenes From A Memory - covers or bootlegs?  (Read 2062 times)

Offline ProgressiveIce

Over the past few years I've build quite a DT collection. Among the items, there are some obscure releases, such as the following two:

https://www.discogs.com/release/6015257
https://www.discogs.com/release/6015359

I don't know what these releases are. From the description, it seems like they're covers by some band from Arizona. Then again, the CDs (especially the first one) are listed as DT bootlegs in several places, including some posts here on DTF. (I didn't have time yet to listen to them...)

Does anyone have any information about these? Who are those guys Hairball, Mikey, Johan, Taz and Herman Jr. (= Hairball?)?
I also wonder about the title of the second CD. I doubt that DT had announced anything about SFAM in 1996, and if they did it certainly didn't include a title. But I guess that will remain a mystery.

P.S.: It seems that you can't view the other images I added to the drafts, or a higher resolution of the covers; the corresponding Discogs page says that there are no images. I uploaded them to Imgbox:
WDATU: https://imgbox.com/g/brNXmNVqhF
SFAM: https://imgbox.com/g/2QuRGZT4q3

Offline Setlist Scotty

Re: When Dream And Today Unite & Scenes From A Memory - covers or bootlegs?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 08:54:36 AM »
Those are both bootlegs back from the days of the Ytsejam Mailing List in the mid-90s. Mike Bahr, a DT fan on the mailing list had them made, along with Subconscious and Antiquities. They were labelled as such because they were factory pressed (silver) CDs, made in the US. The only way that could be done is to have them mis-labelled or else the factory wouldn't make them. I think he had a total of 5 or 6 different bootlegs made that way, including a 1978 Rush soundboard from Tucson. The CDs did come with an extra piece of paper inserted in them that explained what the actual contents were. Once CDRs starting becoming common and cheaper, Bahr switched over to using those instead.

As for the title "SFAM" that was used, Bahr (or someone else) came up with that (which is part of a lyric from Metropolis part 1) before DT did for their album of the same name (and yes, MP was aware of that bootleg's existence).
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ProgressiveIce

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 09:10:04 AM »
Very interesting. Do you know what the other bootlegs were? Anything else by DT?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 08:33:57 PM »
Very interesting. Do you know what the other bootlegs were? Anything else by DT?
The "label" was Prism Records so you can do a search for that, but the only silvers that I can recall off the top of my head were:
Subconscious (not mis-labelled as a cover band - but not ID'd as DT either)
Cygnus (Rush bootleg)
Acoustic Dreams (DT bootleg) - the BEST of the bootlegs from Prism with great sound for most of the tracks
Scenes From a Memory (DT compilation bootleg)
Antiquities (DT compilation bootleg) - like a companion to SFaM above
When Dream and Today Unite

There were a number of other bootlegs put out by Prism Records, but I think they were all on CDR. Some of the titles I know were on CDR are:
Precious Things (DT compilation bootleg)
Mosaic (DT compilation bootleg)
Stream of Consciousness (DT bootleg - webcast of 11/11/97 show)
there may be some others, but that's all that comes to mind now.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 09:04:35 PM »
Wow, I've never seen that 'Scenes from a memory' bootleg but I remember When Dream and Today Unite has some really awesome versions of those songs including OWHTSTS, SS, LFAGO which are songs that were mostly only played in the early 90s so it can be quite difficult to find decent versions of them.

I think there's the other bootleg; When Dream and James Unite? Which is a bit more common I think but I think I prefer When Dream and Today Unite as it's got all the little majesty interludes and extras between the songs. It's quite the gem.

Offline ProgressiveIce

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 02:37:50 AM »
@Setlist Scotty:
Cool, thanks. I saw Acoustic Dreams before, but never heard of the others.
The "Stream of Consciousness" bootleg doesn't have anything to do with the songwriting contest fan club CD from 2003, does it?

@Rodni Demental:
Sounds great. I definitely have to give it a listen soon.
Yeah, WDAJU is very common. It appears on eBay all the time (often together with Instrumental I-III and the "Official 1986 Demo" bootleg) for just a few bucks, and frequently doesn't even get sold.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 07:05:05 AM »
I haven't seen any of that stuff in years.  Very cool.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 01:32:22 PM »
Anyone know where Bahr got that version of A Change of Seasons? IMO, once you digitally correct the capstan wear, it's better than any other recording of that song (prior to its rewrite, of course).
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 07:02:48 PM »
The "Stream of Consciousness" bootleg doesn't have anything to do with the songwriting contest fan club CD from 2003, does it?
Nothing to do with it at all. You have to remember that for a time, the band considered naming what became FII with the name Stream of Consciousness. So when the band didn't use it, Bahr thought he would.

Anyone know where Bahr got that version of A Change of Seasons? IMO, once you digitally correct the capstan wear, it's better than any other recording of that song (prior to its rewrite, of course).
No idea, but I think it could've been MP himself. I know that there were at least a few things (especially on the Precious Things boot) that came from MP.

Offline ProgressiveIce

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 08:33:01 AM »
Nothing to do with it at all. You have to remember that for a time, the band considered naming what became FII with the name Stream of Consciousness. So when the band didn't use it, Bahr thought he would.
Oh, I see. Didn't know that.

Thanks for all the info! :)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 08:42:43 AM »
Ah, I've always wanted to have Antiquities or Precious Things. I believe I may have seen one of those some three or four years ago on ebay, clearly being sold to inaccessible prices.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 09:33:28 AM »
Ah, I've always wanted to have Antiquities or Precious Things. I believe I may have seen one of those some three or four years ago on ebay, clearly being sold to inaccessible prices.

Didn't realize these releases have taken on a somewhat mythical status.  They were certainly the treasure trove in their time, but much of this stuff became "legitimate" later on.