Author Topic: It's been too long since we've heard...  (Read 7312 times)

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
Re: It's been too long since we've heard...
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2014, 08:55:00 AM »

Offline Xenon

« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2014, 09:16:54 AM »
Most praised by fans or most praised by you?

I prefer every song that got played to Behind the Veil personally.
It's based on what I saw here  ;D Not a big fan of Behind the veil myself. Maybe i'm wrong, sorry.

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2014, 04:04:51 PM »

Very good list of songs, but that set list construction is pretty bad.  Learning to Live in the middle of a set?  Behind the Veil ending the second set?  Ending the first set with a ballad?

Rearrange all of those songs big time and it'd be a good set list.

I understand your concerns, Kev.

But I DID say at the beginning that putting most of the songs in chronological order was MY personal preference.
I can't speak for how the BAND would feel about doing it my way, but I think most of the audience would love to hear those songs-or MOST of them, anyway-in pretty much any order.
I wanted to spread the new songs out instead of cramming all of them into either the first set, or at the very end of the show.
Since it would still be a part of the "Ride" tour, I thought that the end of the first set would be a good place for the song. Also, it would calm things down a bit, so the the audience wouldn't be so "pumped" going into the break. Instead, they would hopefully be a little more relaxed.
And what's WRONG with ending the second set with "Veil?" If you listen to the song, especially the coda, I think it makes a DAMN fine conclusion to the show! And I like the idea of ending the show (Except for the encore) with a new song.

I don't understand why so many people think that certain songs ALWAYS have to have a certain place in the order of things! Why not shake it UP a little? Do something different? I thought that was what made us DREAM THEATER fans to begin with: The fact that we don't always like "normal!"
So I'm sorry if my arrangement for my imaginary show wasn't to your taste, but like I said: It's MY personal preference!
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2014, 04:18:31 PM »
Hell's Kitchen.

So much this!!!

Yeah, agreed.  :tup

Also, I would've been down for some ACOS or 8VM instead of Illumination Theory when I saw them back in April.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2014, 04:29:18 PM »
April what?

I might have preferred something other than "IT" as well. I would liked to have heard it a few more times and get used to it, and get to "know" it a little better before hearing it live.
Also I don't think they should PLAY it live without a real orchestra. or just leave that part of it out.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2014, 04:31:41 PM »
April 20th.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2014, 04:46:25 PM »
Right on, Zook!

You and I were at the same show.

What did you think?

Did you see the "Dramatic" show there as well? I heard there were a lot of technical problems at that one.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2014, 06:06:38 PM »
I was there, but I don't remember any technical problems. Both shows were great. The highlight for me would be when James and I forgot the same section of Scarred :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2014, 08:07:52 PM »
April 20th.

Yep, Mesa Arts Center.   :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #79 on: August 26, 2014, 08:10:29 PM »
So what part of Phx. Metro is "Big Haboob Country?"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #80 on: August 26, 2014, 09:57:20 PM »

Very good list of songs, but that set list construction is pretty bad.  Learning to Live in the middle of a set?  Behind the Veil ending the second set?  Ending the first set with a ballad?

Rearrange all of those songs big time and it'd be a good set list.

I understand your concerns, Kev.

But I DID say at the beginning that putting most of the songs in chronological order was MY personal preference.
I can't speak for how the BAND would feel about doing it my way, but I think most of the audience would love to hear those songs-or MOST of them, anyway-in pretty much any order.
I wanted to spread the new songs out instead of cramming all of them into either the first set, or at the very end of the show.
Since it would still be a part of the "Ride" tour, I thought that the end of the first set would be a good place for the song. Also, it would calm things down a bit, so the the audience wouldn't be so "pumped" going into the break. Instead, they would hopefully be a little more relaxed.
And what's WRONG with ending the second set with "Veil?" If you listen to the song, especially the coda, I think it makes a DAMN fine conclusion to the show! And I like the idea of ending the show (Except for the encore) with a new song.

I don't understand why so many people think that certain songs ALWAYS have to have a certain place in the order of things! Why not shake it UP a little? Do something different? I thought that was what made us DREAM THEATER fans to begin with: The fact that we don't always like "normal!"
So I'm sorry if my arrangement for my imaginary show wasn't to your taste, but like I said: It's MY personal preference!

Okay.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2014, 10:12:23 PM »
So what part of Phx. Metro is "Big Haboob Country?"

The entire Phoenix valley.  It happens at least once a year during monsoon season.  We got this one a couple months ago.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2014, 01:19:19 PM »
Wow!

I can't believe I forgot about that.

I don't really remember HEARING about a haboob before that time.

I was even out in it for a little while.

For those who don't live in a climate like this, or just don't know: a haboob is a GIGANTIC dust storm.

Not nice to experience.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #83 on: September 06, 2014, 09:13:01 PM »
Good god. I just saw a video of that. I'd be terrified of losing electric lights in one of those.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2014, 09:18:39 PM »
Hey, gais:

Eve is overrated.

*Takes cover*

Other than that, I know that my chances of hearing Don't Look Past Me live are slim to none... but hey, a man can dream.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2014, 10:36:45 AM »
For once, I'm backing the Zook! It is unbelievable to me that they overlooked TGP yet again.
Not at all interested in hearing the mid 1990s drama telemovie soundtrack known as Eve.

They need to bring TGP out for the next tour.  They've got no choice as far as I'm concerned.  It's time.  I don't care about Eve, I've resigned to never hearing Hell's Kitchen live, I never liked The Killing Hand, and I have no idea why The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun and Raw Dog were mentioned here, but TGP is obligatory on the tour for DT13.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #86 on: September 07, 2014, 01:20:51 PM »
Good god. I just saw a video of that. I'd be terrified of losing electric lights in one of those.

It's not that bad if you keep your windows and doors closed.

There CAN be SOME wind damage, but it's not nearly as bad as a hurricane.
Also, you don't have to worry about drowning or any kind of water damage.
The worst part of it is how it affects your respiratory system, especially if you have allergies.
Which I can testify to.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2014, 04:11:53 PM »
Yeah. Taking that list, I'd do something like this:

1. The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun
2. This Is the Life
3. Hell's Kitchen
4. One Last Time
5. Surrender to Reason
6. About to Crash/About to Crash (Reprise)
7. Along for the Ride
8. Don't Look Past Me
9. Space-Dye Vest
10. In the Name of God
11. Learning to Live

--- intermission ---

1. Bridges in the Sky
2. Constant Motion
3. Enigma Machine
4. Behind the Veil
5. The Count of Tuscany
6. Octavarium

--- encore ---

The Glass Prison

Even with just shifting within the sets, you can get a decent set. Even though it contains Octavarium.

I want to begin by apologizing to Kev.
I know I was a little overzealous in defending my idea for a set list that would contain a lot of songs that had gotten a lot of "votes" on here. Sorry about that.

I just listened to "Raw Dog" all the way through for the first time a few minutes ago. Not bad, but I prefer mine breaded and deep-fried.
But seriously, they could have omitted "The Bigger Picture" from "12" and substituted this track, and I think the album would have been just as good, or better.

I think Scorpion's idea for a "set list order" is just as good as mine, but as I have previously pointed out, I don't think the songs always HAVE to be in a certain order. I like the idea of shaking things up a little. Also, I like the idea of starting with a couple of new songs, so when James makes the announcement-hopefully after the second song-that they are "going to be playing songs from the band's entire history" he won't be lying, because they won't have PLAYED any of the old songs yet!

I know Theseoafs said he doesn't like "The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun" but like I said, I picked some songs just for me. I think it's musically as good as anything they've ever done.

Also, I just listened to "Don't Look Past Me" again. Still not impressed.

...OOOPS! Sorry! I forgot to say at least one thing earlier: I don't know how we could please everybody when it comes to "the epic!" Some people want "Illumination Theory," some people want "Octavarium" and some people want ACoS! Maybe they should do a MEDLEY of ALL of their epics! THAT would please AND displease everybody all at the SAME TIME! Can't beat THAT!!!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 05:08:21 PM by chaossystem »

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2014, 06:15:01 PM »
Last time they did an epic medley it sucked big time. I'm alright with medleys if done well, but that SC tour medley was very sloppily put together. I don't think bits of large pieces like that should be pasted together like that.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #89 on: September 07, 2014, 07:03:18 PM »
I wasn't really being serious. I was saying what I said in response to the fact that no matter which of those songs were selected, it would get some (probably a large number) of hateful responses.

Offline 02T

« Reply #90 on: September 07, 2014, 08:10:55 PM »
Right on, Zook!

You and I were at the same show.

What did you think?

Did you see the "Dramatic" show there as well? I heard there were a lot of technical problems at that one.

I saw the Dramatic show there. Was stationed at Fort Huachuca at the time, so it was a rough round trip, but well worth it. Couldn't make either Mesa or any of the California shows this time.
bradbaileymusic.com
Facebook.com/BradBaileyGTR
Twitter @BradBaileyGTR

Offline 02T

« Reply #91 on: September 07, 2014, 08:14:56 PM »
I would love to see them jam. Just a big crazy improv section.

Apart from that: I had this idea that they could use the track numbers from each album to build the set list, and rotate every night. Track 1 from each album, then track 2 the next night, etc and so forth. Then on albums with less songs, start over once you've played them all, which would start to mix things up.

It would never happen, but that would be an event.
bradbaileymusic.com
Facebook.com/BradBaileyGTR
Twitter @BradBaileyGTR

Offline wantija

« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2014, 02:07:15 AM »
I'd love to Don't Look Past Me live, any reason why they've never play it?

The Glass Prison + This Dying Soul combo (Would be an awesome 2nd set opener)
Hell's Kitchen + Lines in the Sand combo
The Killing Hand
Through Her Eyes (I think I'm the only one who'd want to hear it lol, not sure how they'd put it in the set though)
Anna Lee
A Change of Seasons
Take the Time

ACOS + TtT encore would make me incredibly happy.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2014, 03:34:04 AM »
IIRC, they haven't played DLPM because of the difficulty involved with the many vocal lines, something that none of the backing vocalists felt comfortable with at the time. Shame, I really like the song, and it's not like they don't use a ton of backing tracks nowadays anyway.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline krands85

« Reply #94 on: September 10, 2014, 03:58:54 AM »
A few I'd love to see that I haven't already and that haven't been played in 5 years or more (I think):

Octavarium
In the Name of God
In the Presence of Enemies
A Change of Seasons
The Glass Prison
Sacrificed Sons
The Ministry of Lost Souls
Lines in the Sand
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww