Author Topic: It's been too long since we've heard...  (Read 7331 times)

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
Re: It's been too long since we've heard...
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2014, 09:03:44 PM »
I'm going to agree with those that said SoC.  I was really happy to see DoE live this time around so one of their other great instrumentals would be awesome.

I would really be curious to hear the reaction to Raw Dog :biggrin:  I know it doesn't get much love here but I think we might be surprised  . . . maybe not . . . who knows.

I honestly think that the fans would love it. Even those who don't like the song would at least applaud the band for having the balls to actually play it. I just listened to the song for the first time and it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be (it's certainly better than Hells Kitchen). Who knows? It might work live.

I think they need to play it at least once.  Com'on it would be great live.  Let the masses vote . . .

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2014, 09:07:17 PM »
Votes: Aye!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2014, 09:22:34 PM »
I'm going to agree with those that said SoC.  I was really happy to see DoE live this time around so one of their other great instrumentals would be awesome.

I would really be curious to hear the reaction to Raw Dog :biggrin:  I know it doesn't get much love here but I think we might be surprised  . . . maybe not . . . who knows.

I honestly think that the fans would love it. Even those who don't like the song would at least applaud the band for having the balls to actually play it. I just listened to the song for the first time and it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be (it's certainly better than Hells Kitchen). Who knows? It might work live.

:|

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2014, 09:24:09 PM »
  in what fucking universe is Raw Dog superior to Hell's Kitchen?

I think that is just more proof that no matter how crazy an opinion about DT might sound to some of us, there is a DT fan out there somewhere who thinks it. :lol :lol

Dude, you're quoting my DTF theorem!!  :omg:
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2014, 09:29:21 PM »
Hell's Kitchen is a beautiful, relaxing, chill out piece of atmospheric bliss.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2014, 10:11:53 PM »
Glass Prison, Status Seeker, A Change of Seasons

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2014, 05:13:50 AM »
I would be SHOCKED if we ever heard Status Seeker again.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2014, 06:07:21 AM »
I would be SHOCKED if we ever heard Status Seeker again.

I would be equal parts shocked and disappointed.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2014, 01:57:29 PM »
Vacant
Stream of Conciousness
Voices

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2014, 01:58:28 PM »
OTBOA
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Grizz

« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2014, 02:17:19 PM »
The Bigger Picture
Behind the Veil
Surrender to Reason
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Xenon

« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2014, 02:30:34 PM »
The Bigger Picture
Behind the Veil
Surrender to Reason
This too.
I'm still trying to figure why they didn't want to play the cool songs of the selftitled

Offline Grizz

« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2014, 02:37:49 PM »
Because they wanted to make a triumphant return to the Evening with format by creating the best show they could to appease the old fans and squash the Mangini naysayers
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline mirko_metal_88

« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2014, 02:42:56 PM »
Another Won

Offline gm5k

« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2014, 03:45:20 PM »

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2014, 03:57:24 PM »
Based on the feedback so far, I've put together an imaginary set list for the second leg of the current tour. It's not going to be perfect for everyone, including me, but sometimes you have to compromise. I mostly stayed with songs that are getting a lot of "requests" on here, but also picked a few just for me.

Intro tape will be Eve.
Set One:

1) Surrender to Reason
2) This Is the Life
Most of the rest of the songs are in chronological order, which I know is not to everyone's liking, but it's my preference:
3) The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun-Other than the "Reunite" DVD, I don't know HOW long it's been since they've played this song.
4) Learning to Live-Seems to be the most requested "Images" song.
5) Space-Dye Vest-I know this song is already part of the "Ride" tour, but I thought it would be a good one for them to relax on between some of the more intense songs.
6) Hell's Kitchen-A lot of requests for this one, and I don't know if they've ever played the entire thing live before.
7) One Last Time-A personal fave, and a good segue from #6.
8) About to Crash/About to Crash (Reprise)
9) In the Name of God-I'm probably creating a lot of controversy with this one, because even though a lot of people have listed it here, a lot of others have said they HATE this song. I don't, so there we are.
10) Don't Look Past Me-I listened to this song a couple of times on YouTube, and my own personal reaction was pretty much "meh," but who knows? Maybe the current version of the band can make it sound better.
11) Along for the Ride-I think it's one of their better ballads, and same tour/same song.

Intermission: More funny YouTube videos

Set Two:

1) Octavarium-Tons of requests for this one, and I know a lot of people will want at least one epic, so here it is.
2) Constant Motion-I think James could sing both parts, or maybe John P. could sing Mike P.'s parts.
3) Enigma Machine-Just to satisfy the people who want to hear more instrumental jams.
4) The Count of Tuscany-Another one that gets requests up the ying-yang.
5) Bridges in the Sky-A lot of people would probably prefer that this be the opener, but why not do something different? Like putting it here?
6) Behind the Veil.-Close with another new song.

Encore:

The Glass Prison-Again, multiple requests, so hopefully it would be a satisfying conclusion to a mostly satisfying show.

Outro tape: The INSTRUMENTAL version of Wither. I know it's kind of sad-sounding, but it's still a fine piece of music.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 04:20:11 PM by chaossystem »
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2014, 04:16:50 PM »
Learning to Live is on Images and Words.

I can imagine what it'd sound like on WDADU though...

"whoaoaoa
whoaoaoa
whoaoaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2014, 04:21:26 PM »
Thank you for pointing that out. I went back and corrected it...

...What was I thinking?

Charlie sounded fine on most of "Dream and Day" but I don't think I would want to hear him singing any of the songs that came along since.

As an example: he should NOT have been allowed to sing "To live Forever" (at least not without help from James) on the "reunite" DVD.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 04:27:17 PM by chaossystem »
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2014, 05:00:24 PM »
Charlie sounded fine on most of "Dream and Day" but I don't think I would want to hear him singing any of the songs that came along since.

As an example: he should NOT have been allowed to sing "To live Forever" (at least not without help from James) on the "reunite" DVD.

I was under the impression that To Live Forever was written while Charlie was still in the band...at least from what the band said during the audio commentary for the 5YIALT DVD. I believe that Charlie even said in an interview that it was his favorite DT song.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2014, 05:02:17 PM »
Right.

But there is also a studio version, as well as several live versions of James singing it, and I thought he sounded MUCH better.

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2014, 03:50:32 PM »
ACOS
Eve
Speak to Me
anything from WDADU

I'd also love to see them premiere Don't Look Past Me!

This. I love ACOS & WDADU. It would be great to see them do don't look past me, then they would have performed every song live at least once ( I think)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2014, 03:51:55 PM »
The Best of Times would still be missing.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2014, 03:53:24 PM »
Right.

But there is also a studio version, as well as several live versions of James singing it, and I thought he sounded MUCH better.
He did.  But the point of that night was them performing songs that were written while Charlie was in the band. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2014, 04:01:08 PM »
Based on the feedback so far, I've put together an imaginary set list for the second leg of the current tour. It's not going to be perfect for everyone, including me, but sometimes you have to compromise. I mostly stayed with songs that are getting a lot of "requests" on here, but also picked a few just for me.

Intro tape will be Eve.
Set One:

1) Surrender to Reason
2) This Is the Life
Most of the rest of the songs are in chronological order, which I know is not to everyone's liking, but it's my preference:
3) The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun-Other than the "Reunite" DVD, I don't know HOW long it's been since they've played this song.
4) Learning to Live-Seems to be the most requested "Images" song.
5) Space-Dye Vest-I know this song is already part of the "Ride" tour, but I thought it would be a good one for them to relax on between some of the more intense songs.
6) Hell's Kitchen-A lot of requests for this one, and I don't know if they've ever played the entire thing live before.
7) One Last Time-A personal fave, and a good segue from #6.
8) About to Crash/About to Crash (Reprise)
9) In the Name of God-I'm probably creating a lot of controversy with this one, because even though a lot of people have listed it here, a lot of others have said they HATE this song. I don't, so there we are.
10) Don't Look Past Me-I listened to this song a couple of times on YouTube, and my own personal reaction was pretty much "meh," but who knows? Maybe the current version of the band can make it sound better.
11) Along for the Ride-I think it's one of their better ballads, and same tour/same song.

Intermission: More funny YouTube videos

Set Two:

1) Octavarium-Tons of requests for this one, and I know a lot of people will want at least one epic, so here it is.
2) Constant Motion-I think James could sing both parts, or maybe John P. could sing Mike P.'s parts.
3) Enigma Machine-Just to satisfy the people who want to hear more instrumental jams.
4) The Count of Tuscany-Another one that gets requests up the ying-yang.
5) Bridges in the Sky-A lot of people would probably prefer that this be the opener, but why not do something different? Like putting it here?
6) Behind the Veil.-Close with another new song.

Encore:

The Glass Prison-Again, multiple requests, so hopefully it would be a satisfying conclusion to a mostly satisfying show.

Outro tape: The INSTRUMENTAL version of Wither. I know it's kind of sad-sounding, but it's still a fine piece of music.

Very good list of songs, but that set list construction is pretty bad.  Learning to Live in the middle of a set?  Behind the Veil ending the second set?  Ending the first set with a ballad?

Rearrange all of those songs big time and it'd be a good set list.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2014, 04:09:55 PM »
Yeah. Taking that list, I'd do something like this:

1. The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun
2. This Is the Life
3. Hell's Kitchen
4. One Last Time
5. Surrender to Reason
6. About to Crash/About to Crash (Reprise)
7. Along for the Ride
8. Don't Look Past Me
9. Space-Dye Vest
10. In the Name of God
11. Learning to Live

--- intermission ---

1. Bridges in the Sky
2. Constant Motion
3. Enigma Machine
4. Behind the Veil
5. The Count of Tuscany
6. Octavarium

--- encore ---

The Glass Prison

Even with just shifting within the sets, you can get a decent set. Even though it contains Octavarium.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2014, 04:38:35 PM »

He did.  But the point of that night was them performing songs that were written while Charlie was in the band.

Then what they should have done was either to have Charlie sing some of the "Dream and Day" songs by himself-like either the first or second half-or have him AND james sing ALL of the songs together.
My point was just that Charlie singing "To Live Forever" by himself didn't sound too good.
But maybe that's just because I'm more used to James's version.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2014, 05:16:18 PM »

Then what they should have done was either to have Charlie sing some of the "Dream and Day" songs by himself-like either the first or second half-or have him AND james sing ALL of the songs together.
My point was just that Charlie singing "To Live Forever" by himself didn't sound too good.

NO FUCKING WAY!!!

Sorry, but I think that is the best version of the song. 

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2014, 05:19:56 PM »
It's okay.

It's just a matter of opinion.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2014, 09:18:28 PM »
Because they wanted to make a triumphant return to the Evening with format by creating the best show they could to appease the old fans and squash the Mangini naysayers
So, they succed in that by playing some of the crappy song of the new album?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2014, 09:58:19 PM »
Regardless of your opinion of the new material, of course they would include it.  It's the album they are touring for.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2014, 10:09:54 PM »
I think they were going for songs that were more high energy and potential concert favorites. Gotta have the opener of course, then the obvious single, the instrumental, the big singalong chorus, and the epic. It's fairly obvious why they chose the songs that they did.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Xenon

« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2014, 10:56:50 PM »
Regardless of your opinion of the new material, of course they would include it.  It's the album they are touring for.

I like the new album. I just don't get why they play the weakest songs of the album instead of the most praised by the fans like behind the veil and the bigger picture.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2014, 11:06:23 PM »
Most praised by fans or most praised by you?

I prefer every song that got played to Behind the Veil personally.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2014, 03:38:42 AM »
The Killing Hand, dammit!

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2014, 04:11:48 AM »
Wither,
Vacant,

ANNA LEE!!!!