Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 479192 times)

Offline kaos2900

Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #3745 on: November 08, 2017, 09:01:05 AM »
I'll get WoD: WWII at some point. I just wish the campaign would be more than 4-5 hours. I'm not spending $60 for that.

Also, I got my Xbox One X setup last night. Amazing how much smaller this is than the original Xbox One. And it's nice that there is no power brick. Watched a 4k movie and the picture is stunning. I need to play through Gears 4 to see the gaming improvements but Mario is consuming all of my free time.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3746 on: November 08, 2017, 09:18:42 AM »
I'll get WoD: WWII at some point. I just wish the campaign would be more than 4-5 hours. I'm not spending $60 for that.

I got it for 50 on greenmangaming (for PC) but yea I hear ya.  I was bored last week and figured I'd buy it for the campaign so I was entertained on a friday night.  I gave the multiplayer a few games and I was so damn frustrated playing that.  This will just hold me over until Battlefront 2

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3747 on: November 08, 2017, 10:12:04 AM »
I really wish I could sell some of my digital games somewhere. I don't even know if that's possible since I've played them already but I so regret buying Dragon Age Inquisition and Witcher 3 even more. Great graphics, great characters, great stories, but fucking horrendous *games.* And I'm an RPG fan.

Anyone want to buy my Origin account or something?  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3748 on: November 08, 2017, 10:14:27 AM »
Yea that's what sucks about digital games, but I also almost never pay full price for a digital game (see my last post about GreenManGaming) so I think the difference makes up for what I might have gotten on resale (which is never much). 

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3749 on: November 08, 2017, 11:02:06 AM »
Let me know how NFS is because I’ve heard some reviews on it and well . . . well just let us know how it is

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3750 on: November 08, 2017, 11:06:46 AM »

This is the reason why the last Call of Duty game I bought was Call of Duty 2.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3751 on: November 08, 2017, 11:08:39 AM »

This is the reason why the last Call of Duty game I bought was Call of Duty 2.

Yeah, I may rent my first video game in 15 years.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3752 on: November 08, 2017, 02:58:41 PM »
Prey looks pretty cool from what I've seen online!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #3753 on: November 08, 2017, 06:19:33 PM »
I really wish I could sell some of my digital games somewhere. I don't even know if that's possible since I've played them already but I so regret buying Dragon Age Inquisition and Witcher 3 even more. Great graphics, great characters, great stories, but fucking horrendous *games.* And I'm an RPG fan.

Anyone want to buy my Origin account or something?  :lol

I'm slowly selling almost all of my physical games and consoles. Think I'm gonna be left with just the Switch, the Gamecube and possibly the PS4, but even that's only for Red Dead which I'm not even very excited for anymore. I think grimdark things and me are having a bit of a time out...

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3754 on: November 09, 2017, 09:08:11 PM »
Not a crack on anyone, I know everyone is different, but what's with getting a new game and completing it in like 48 hours? I don't want to blow through my enjoyment of a new game in such a short period of time. I like playing a little at a time, giving me anticipating of advancing further, etc...

Anyway, with talk of Mario Odyssey, and me going through Galaxy 2, I thought it would be a good time for a Mario ranking!

SMB World - It was amazing at the time, and holds up so well now. I loved the complexity, the secret exits, and how each world was so unique. 

Mario 64 - I place a high value on replayability, and while I can't say I'll have any desire to revisit this game, I also place a high value on nostalgia, and I remember thinking this was most amazing game I'd ever played at the time. Every world felt so real (at least in the Mario sense), and being Mario in a 3D environment was the epitome of video game enjoyment for someone who cut their teeth on the original SMB.

SMB3 – Everything that made SMB great on steroids, HGH, Androstenedione, 5 Hour Energy, and everything else that made it such an immersive experience. Sometimes hard for me to believe this came out on the NES it seems so advanced.

Galaxy 2 - 40 stars in, and I am loving this game. I like the simple story, the complex levels, the beautiful design and amazing music. The Galaxy concept turned up to 11. Pure joy.

Galaxy - Liked this game, but the whole story line with Rosalina was a drag on the game for me. I never cared in whatever she was talking about, I just wanted to stomp some goombas!

SMB - I played this game so much as a kid I feel I could do it blindfolded now. There are better Mario games, obviously, but it seems sacrilege to rank this any lower.

Mario 2 - I loved Mario 2 when it came out. It had great replay value, I loved the character selection, the challenge level was right on. Very underrated. This is only below SMB due to the legendary status of its predecessor.

Sunshine - I really enjoyed this game at first, and then somewhere my enjoyment just dropped off a cliff. No gradual progression, just a sudden loss of interest in getting any further. Thought about revisiting it, but honestly have no desire to.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #3755 on: November 09, 2017, 09:21:07 PM »
Not a crack on anyone, I know everyone is different, but what's with getting a new game and completing it in like 48 hours? I don't want to blow through my enjoyment of a new game in such a short period of time. I like playing a little at a time, giving me anticipating of advancing further, etc...

I can only speak for myself, but I genuinely have nothing better to do with my time

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #3756 on: November 10, 2017, 02:34:53 AM »
I finally got Wolfenstein to work. They put out a patch but at first still got the same 'could not write crash dump'.  So i deleted the vulcan.dll file from the file é voila! Runs like a charm now....already gotten the refund but hey...  :hat
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #3757 on: November 10, 2017, 04:05:28 AM »
I'm the same way - I got Mario Oddysey on release day and could have finished it long time ago. But I just don't want to play it all in one go like that. I discovered that first with books - if I rush through a good book, I get so much less enjoyment out of it and can hardly remember what it was about a month later. And I'm the same with games - I'd rather switch between games then if I have a lot of free time.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3758 on: November 10, 2017, 07:18:40 AM »
I don't like playing through games super fast either.  I'll take my time if it's a good campaign.  But some games aren't terribly long and are also fun that I'll just blow through it if I have like a weekened to do so. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3759 on: November 10, 2017, 07:46:55 AM »
I don't like playing through games super fast either.  I'll take my time if it's a good campaign.  But some games aren't terribly long and are also fun that I'll just blow through it if I have like a weekened to do so.

I agree.

Some games are just short and it is what it is. I typically play in 2 to 3 hour sessions, and if its an 8 hour game, then inevtibly its gonna get beat quick.

Now contrast that with a skyrim, breath of the wild or witcher 3 where months later I can still be enjoying it. It just comes down to the game itself.

If I get wind of a game being only couple hours then I try and wait for a price drop, that way I can have my cake and it too. Enjoy a cool, yet short game, but not have to shell out a full $60 for it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3760 on: November 10, 2017, 07:59:52 AM »
My problem also is that I can't sit still for too long.  My video game playing comes in bursts of an hour maybe two at a time before I need to step away and come back. 

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3761 on: November 10, 2017, 08:04:05 AM »
My problem also is that I can't sit still for too long.  My video game playing comes in bursts of an hour maybe two at a time before I need to step away and come back.

My problem these days is that I get so little time to play, that when I do have a large chunk of time, I get sucked in. Last Sunday was supposed to be completely dedicated to leaf removal and winterizing my property. It was about 40 degrees and it rained all day, so I didn't end up doing that. I decided to play Tropico 5 for a bit early in the morning because it's been a while, and Victoria and I ended up playing it for about 12 hours, interrupted only by a food delivery. We bought two expansions while we were at it  :lol

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3762 on: November 10, 2017, 08:05:56 AM »

I’m the exact same way, I have to stop playing and do something else even if it’s just surf the web.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3763 on: November 10, 2017, 09:30:19 AM »
Well, I got DOOM on the Switch. I was dying to know what it would look like and how it would play. Like, let's see what this switch thing can really do.

I'm happy to say that it plays very well and it's a bunch of fun. Visually, its kind of rough looking in hand held mode and docked its actually not too bad. Still, its very cool to have games like this available on Switch and actually pretty impressive.

Next week I'll see how skyrim plays.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3764 on: November 10, 2017, 10:10:30 AM »
Speaking of Skyrim, the VR version comes out in a week. I'm really torn.

I had it on PS3 and I bought the remastered on PS4. I put several hundred hours in between the two, including getting dragon armor in the remaster after countless hours of hunting and slaying giants. I want the VR version so bad, but I can't stomach the thought of having to restart the game for a third time. If I could pick up in VR from the remaster save I have, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3765 on: November 12, 2017, 07:33:09 AM »
I need a handheld gaming device and I've been researching Nintendo Switch.
It looks very cool, function wise. But I'm turned off by the list of games they have, I haven't had anything Nintendo since the 90's and it seems like all they do is cater to people who are in a constant state of reminiscing about games from the 90's..
LA Noir will be released on Switch soon but that's about it, I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3766 on: November 12, 2017, 08:17:34 AM »
I need a handheld gaming device and I've been researching Nintendo Switch.
It looks very cool, function wise. But I'm turned off by the list of games they have, I haven't had anything Nintendo since the 90's and it seems like all they do is cater to people who are in a constant state of reminiscing about games from the 90's..
LA Noir will be released on Switch soon but that's about it, I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it.

Pardon my somewhat cantankerous coffee-fueled rant, this isn't meant to be personal, I'm just grumpy. :) Skip to bottom for TL;DR.

If you're like my friend who came over last night and trashed my Switch, Zelda, and Mario for two hours while singing the praises of Far Cry, Assassin's Creed, and Uncharted, stay away from the Switch. Gratuitous violence, simulated criminal activity, that kind of stuff? You won't get it with Nintendo except for their third party stuff like LA Noir. It's like me, someone who can't stand most shooters and sports and racing games, researching an Xbox and being turned off to its list of games, just to give an example.

My take is that Nintendo (so far as their first party games go) knows how to make games that are FUN. No unnecessary focus on facial animations, extremely high end graphics, voice acting, clunky online bullshit, just games that are plain fun and a joy to play. My problem with almost - almost! - every other game developer is exactly that, they focus on the superficial instead of the positive feedback loop Nintendo has perfected. Witcher 3 for example has a great story, great characters, pretty graphics, but my god is it tedious, it is infuriating, the menus suck, it controls like ass, it's a good interactive story but a horrendous *game* if you know what I'm saying. Breath of the Wild has minimal voice acting, no focus on 3D motion capture and expressive facial controls, dialogue wheels, gratuitious gory violence - but it is a beautiful game, gives the player complete (and I do mean complete) freedom, the controls are smooth as butter, and the best part is you pick it up and are on your way 5 minutes into starting the game. It is not weighed down by the superficial - the gameplay is what matters and the gameplay is rock solid.

It's not so much nostalgia - rather, it's that Nintendo knows good game design. They've been around longer than Sony or Microsoft and they know exactly what their strengths are, and that's what they cater to. Mario Odyssey may look like it's pandering to nostalgia, but the Galaxy games sold incredibly well too, and they didn't have that factor. Odyssey is just a celebration of the legacy of the franchise that helped revolutionize gaming and bring it out of the crash and make home gaming a truly successful industry. And you're lying to yourself if you don't think those 8-bit sections on 3D objects are cool. ;)

Apart from the first party games that are already out and coming in the future, you have Skyrim, Doom, LA Noir (soon), Fast RMX, Disgaea 5, Cave Story, Sonic Mania, Stardew Valley, Octopath Traveler by Square Enix next February, and tons of others on the eshop that would take me way too long to list. It's a great system with great games, not for everyone, but it's not simply a nostalgia thing. :) Also, I have a theory the Switch was not meant to be released until this holiday season anyway - the drought between Zelda and most other games this year makes me believe that.

TL;DR - The Switch has a ton of awesome games, but if you're looking for what Sony and Microsoft have on their systems, you ain't gonna find it here. If you like Nintendo's first party franchises, it is absolutely worth it. If you don't care about Mario or Zelda at all, don't get it. :)

EDIT: Holy shit that was so much longer than I thought, sorry everyone  :lol
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 08:26:42 AM by Kattelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3767 on: November 12, 2017, 10:16:40 AM »
I personally really like my switch and I'm glad I bought it.

The main reason I got it was that I wanted to be able to play Xenoblade chronicles 2 and Super mario odyssey. As a bonus on top of that I got

1. A frequent stream of quirky and fun Indie games. There's a ton, and these are all recently made. Splasher, Mr. Shifty, thimbleweed park and
             stardew valley have been great experiences, and Rocket league drops this tuesday and I can't wait. 

2. 3rd party games which are now starting to show up (Doom, La noire, skyrim, wolfenstein II and so forth)

3. Eventually the virtual console which has a whole slew of stuff I want to either revisit or play for the first time like (mario sunshine and the
         original metroid primes for example)

4. New First party nintendo games (zelda kicks ass and I am looking forward to Metroid prime 4). And games like Splatoon 2 are crazy
          addictive and a lot of fun.

5. Video streaming. Hulu just showed up and I can see Netflix becoming available soon as well.

So overall, I think there's a decent amount of stuff to offer and I am happy to have bought it.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3768 on: November 12, 2017, 10:46:33 AM »
Actually your post was pretty helpful to me Kattelox, thanks for the taking the time!

I'm definitely very different in gaming taste from your friend, I often feel like the gaming industry has left me behind with their heavy emphasis on online gaming, FPS and RPG's of the Skyrim variety. All of which are things I don't enjoy.
But I do appreciate high graphics and the ability to interact with most of your surroundings in a game, exploring an open world, etc. I mainly play third person adventure and survival horror games, which are usually best when they utilize every bit of graphics power there is.
I cannot go backward so much though and most of what I've seen of the Nintendo Switch games look like what I would deem remasters of 90's games, they look an awful lot like the 90's games but on a wide screen and a sharper resolution. Honestly they look like cell phone games to me.
I do like everything else about the Switch though, looks like you get way more for the money than what you get with a Vita.
Do you use it for anything other than gaming? Like streaming services for example? Can you put movies on a flash drive and view them on the Switch? I'm trying to figure out if it could replace my iPad as well.

EDIT: Phoenix87x answered my question before I asked it  :tup
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3769 on: November 12, 2017, 11:23:27 AM »
I cannot go backward so much though and most of what I've seen of the Nintendo Switch games look like what I would deem remasters of 90's games, they look an awful lot like the 90's games but on a wide screen and a sharper resolution. Honestly they look like cell phone games to me.
What games are you talking about? Haven't seen a single game come any close to looking even 90s, they're pretty modern in graphics and gameplay. Sure Nintendo keeps some first party series alive but those games have evolved a lot since that era. Plus, there are lots of third party and indie titles coming to the console.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3770 on: November 12, 2017, 01:29:24 PM »
I do like everything else about the Switch though, looks like you get way more for the money than what you get with a Vita.
Do you use it for anything other than gaming? Like streaming services for example? Can you put movies on a flash drive and view them on the Switch? I'm trying to figure out if it could replace my iPad as well.

No problem, I'm glad you found it helpful!

There are some games on the eshop that are cell phone games ported to the Switch, but it makes sense on handheld mode, and they're only a few bucks - but I don't bother with any of them (Oceanhorn itself is a B-rate blatant Zelda clone, for example). But there are so many other amazing games. Cave Story came out a long time ago on PC, but has always had the pixelated look, same with Stardew Valley and its design. Disgaea 5 is totally anime aesthetic, but it's the same game it is on the PS4 (and it comes with all the DLC included to boot). None of the 'major' titles for the system give me the impression of 90s remasters.

Sure, not every game looks like Destiny 2 or Anthem or even GTA 5, but I think you have to really try to make a bad looking game these days. I've had systems by every major developer in every generation and have a gaming rig with some modern games running at max settings and even though I love the way those games pop visually, I have no problem with Nintendo's game's graphics (and honestly, I think Odyssey and BOTW look better than most of them because of their art style instead of cranking out the most realistic looking leaves and hair follicles they can).

And yeah, they have introduced Hulu, and probably more to come. The system has a microSD card slot that you can use for game storage but it isn't a replacement for an iPad, no, at least not yet. But if it doesn't click with you, that's not a problem at all. I just wanted to address those points because I always feel like Nintendo gets an unfair rap from people for graphics or its games even though it's been around longer than the other guys and almost never have a misstep.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3771 on: November 12, 2017, 01:55:59 PM »
What games are you talking about? Haven't seen a single game come any close to looking even 90s, they're pretty modern in graphics and gameplay. Sure Nintendo keeps some first party series alive but those games have evolved a lot since that era. Plus, there are lots of third party and indie titles coming to the console.

Every game the guy shows game play of in this video, except maybe the one @ 4:41, that looks cool, like it could have been a PS2 game.

And yeah, they have introduced Hulu, and probably more to come. The system has a microSD card slot that you can use for game storage but it isn't a replacement for an iPad, no, at least not yet. But if it doesn't click with you, that's not a problem at all. I just wanted to address those points because I always feel like Nintendo gets an unfair rap from people for graphics or its games even though it's been around longer than the other guys and almost never have a misstep.

Right on, I think I'm getting it soon and might come back to hammer you with recommendations requests heh

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #3772 on: November 12, 2017, 06:05:54 PM »
Right on, I think I'm getting it soon and might come back to hammer you with recommendations requests heh

One of us! One of us!
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #3773 on: November 13, 2017, 02:07:53 AM »
Played through Kid Icarus: Uprising from start to finish having not played it for a while (not in one sitting, of course). In-game time was 6 hours and 40 minutes according to the file select screen. I wonder if I should try speedrunning it, since I did a whole lot of extra stuff in my playthrough (zodiac chambers, beating a bunch of monsters, getting treasure...) that would cut out a whole lot of time if I excluded it.

Great game.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3774 on: November 14, 2017, 02:04:08 PM »
NFS: Payback is refreshingly different and better than the two previous releases.  I like it a  l o t... :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3775 on: November 15, 2017, 07:48:50 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3776 on: November 15, 2017, 08:43:15 AM »
Just 40 hours of gameplay before you can get it, or some $ :P

Offline Lucien

« Reply #3777 on: November 15, 2017, 06:02:24 PM »
Meanwhile, I'm playing the ACTUAL Star Wars Battlefront II on PC via Steam. You know, an actually good game

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3778 on: November 15, 2017, 06:27:01 PM »
Meanwhile, I'm playing the ACTUAL Star Wars Battlefront II on PC via Steam. You know, an actually good game

I would have rather them just re-master the original Battlefront II.  I loved that game and it was nice actually being able to get into ships  :P

Offline Lucien

« Reply #3779 on: November 15, 2017, 08:56:32 PM »

I would have rather them just re-master the original Battlefront II.  I loved that game and it was nice actually being able to get into ships  :P

I don't see the point in even remastering it. Letting people with toasters play the game is just fine, and the graphics are perfectly acceptable. The servers are even back up now so you can play with friends.