Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 479311 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #3640 on: October 12, 2017, 10:32:29 AM »
Spent some time with the Gran Turismo Sport beta last night. It's really pretty. I haven't gotten a chance to try rally racing or the VR preview yet.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3641 on: October 12, 2017, 11:51:11 AM »
That’s awesome. I want to pick up GT sometime, especially about hearing everything that is happening with Forza.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3642 on: October 12, 2017, 12:08:21 PM »
That’s awesome. I want to pick up GT sometime, especially about hearing everything that is happening with Forza.

The beta is only open to download for a few more days. I don't know if it will be playable after that time.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3643 on: October 12, 2017, 12:10:43 PM »
I didn't realize the new South Park game was coming out next week until I saw last night's new episode. I don't have time or money for it!! But if it's like the last one, it'll be 1/3 the price within a month...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3644 on: October 12, 2017, 04:48:12 PM »
I didn't realize the new South Park game was coming out next week until I saw last night's new episode. I don't have time or money for it!! But if it's like the last one, it'll be 1/3 the price within a month...

and like the last one, I expect it to be awesome.  That's definitely a game I want to play, but also a game that i'll wait till it's cheap like the last one.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3645 on: October 13, 2017, 06:21:27 AM »

and like the last one, I expect it to be awesome.  That's definitely a game I want to play, but also a game that i'll wait till it's cheap like the last one.

I picked up Stick of Truth a few months ago for 7.50 on Steam, what a steal. But it was also a really short game, so oh well. I hope this one's longer with more to do.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3646 on: October 13, 2017, 07:35:59 AM »

I picked up Stick of Truth a few months ago for 7.50 on Steam, what a steal. But it was also a really short game, so oh well. I hope this one's longer with more to do.

I don't think I even really enjoyed the game play a whole lot, felt it got repetitive, but I loved the story and how it felt like a south park movie in a way.  With all the throwbacks, as a big fan of the show, it was really fun to play through and be part of South Park in a way.  I think I enjoyed that moreso than the gameplay and shortness.  But yea, for 7.50 that's a steal of a game.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3647 on: October 13, 2017, 09:35:17 AM »
GT Sport next week.  Been a long time coming... :2metal:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #3648 on: October 13, 2017, 10:58:56 AM »
Almost done with this playthrough of The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks. I like the game a lot, but it does feel like a bit of a drag sometimes.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3649 on: October 14, 2017, 06:55:27 PM »
I was bored today so I downloaded and tried out Fortnite's "Battle Royal" mode and it's pretty damn fun. Even thought he rule set is the same a PUBG it feels a lot lighters and the distances aren't so bad. The style of the game also leads to better optimization.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3650 on: October 15, 2017, 01:15:02 PM »
I need to get The Evil Within 2.
Why isn't there a new Dead Space game already? Feels like it's been a while.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #3651 on: October 16, 2017, 02:36:07 PM »
Uhhh probably because the last one sucked some serious Necromorph wang.

The studio has said that there's still interest in the series but the horrible sales of the last game, along with some pretty abysmal critical and fan reception have probably killed it.

I'm not up for another one unless they bring back the tried and true original format. It was so painfully obvious that they caved into the trends of other games that sold well around the time of 3's release that it wasn't even Dead Space anymore save for some atmospheric moments and the character design. The first is still one of my favorite horror games though. Even in the 2nd I could see it degrading and by the time I was looking at trailers for the 3rd I had lost any interest. I think I played about three hours and said screw it.

I'm loving the hell out of Shadow of War. I'm not a child ruled by random irrational choices (and also have a job), so the micro-transactions don't bug me...and the minor lore stuff is beyond me since I'm only a pretty casual LOTR fan. But I love the heck out of the world they built (or piggybacked) and the gameplay mechanics and surrounding system of enemies and bosses. This one will keep me busy for a long while.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3652 on: October 16, 2017, 02:58:32 PM »
I'm not a child and have a full time job and still hate microtransactions out of principle.  :biggrin: The world does look enormous though. Buddy of mine is playing through and says it's awesome but he also knows fuck all about Lord of the Rings so I guess in his case ignorance is bliss. Tell me though, can I still hold a button and make orcs' heads explode at will? That was my favorite method of killing mooks in SoM.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3653 on: October 16, 2017, 03:06:45 PM »
I was bored today so I downloaded and tried out Fortnite's "Battle Royal" mode and it's pretty damn fun. Even thought he rule set is the same a PUBG it feels a lot lighters and the distances aren't so bad. The style of the game also leads to better optimization.

My buddy who is burnt out of PUBG got me playing with him yesterday.  It's fun, but feels like a cheap version of PUBG (which being free, essentially is).  I have no issues with the cartoonishness of it (feels like Team Fortress which I love) but the gameplay is not as smooth.  The shooting I find to be more difficult (I guess cause it's all 3rd person) and the inventory system is terrible.  I feel like the building part of the game isn't that interesting either.  Probably need to play more to really get into that aspect of it.  I guess I am also getting burnt out of PUBG and need a change.  I'm not sure Fortnite is it though.  Maybe I'll be playing some Battlefield again. 

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3654 on: October 16, 2017, 05:38:31 PM »
I like both for what they are. If I'm playing solo then I go to pubg but my brother and his friends prefer fortnite so I'll hop over there.

Were you playing Battlefield 1?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3655 on: October 16, 2017, 06:10:27 PM »
I like both for what they are. If I'm playing solo then I go to pubg but my brother and his friends prefer fortnite so I'll hop over there.

Were you playing Battlefield 1?

Yea, I was obsessing over it before I started obsessing over PUBG.  I probably suck now if I play it

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3656 on: October 16, 2017, 06:57:45 PM »
I had a great time with Battlefield 1, I sort of fell out of it because I was moving states and never returned.

One game I've always wanted to try is Titanfall.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #3657 on: October 16, 2017, 08:46:04 PM »
I'm not a child and have a full time job and still hate microtransactions out of principle.  :biggrin: The world does look enormous though. Buddy of mine is playing through and says it's awesome but he also knows fuck all about Lord of the Rings so I guess in his case ignorance is bliss. Tell me though, can I still hold a button and make orcs' heads explode at will? That was my favorite method of killing mooks in SoM.

I just don't get the massive amount of sheer temper tantrums people throw over it. Not liking it is one thing, calling for the heads of the people who made the game is another, and that's happening in droves. I'm guessing some are kids/trolls throwing actual tantrums, some don't understand business (because dollars to doughnuts, those microtransactions are selling enough to justify the backlash; I'd love to eventually get some numbers on them...for the record I haven't bought any yet, I may or may not depending on how long I play the game), and then those like yourself just don't like the idea in itself of paying for a game and then having to buy extra stuff, which is totally understandable. Then again, they are in fact totally optional, which is where my confusion in all the huge hate comes from. I'd understand if it was something huge like "buy this loot box to unlock another part of the story!", but it's almost entirely forgettable, menial things. I digress though. To each their own!

You most certainly can explode heads in this game. There's a lot of returning features along with just as many new ones. It's great because it definitely feels like a continuation of the first while refining the mechanics that weren't so hot and adding some new ones along with the obvious story continuation. On the other side of that coin, if you didn't like the first one, this one is so similar that it's not going to change anyone's mind in the slightest. And yeah I'm almost completely void of LOTR knowledge barring the massive obvious things like the main characters and huge lore points.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3658 on: October 17, 2017, 07:17:24 AM »
I had a great time with Battlefield 1, I sort of fell out of it because I was moving states and never returned.

One game I've always wanted to try is Titanfall.

Titanfall 2 is pretty awesome.  Good single player story in that (compared to none in Titanfall 1).  The multiplayer is the same and fun, but I spent a lot of time playing 1 and after beating the story in 2, I didn't hang around the multiplayer that much longer. 

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3659 on: October 17, 2017, 12:57:39 PM »
Loved BF1.  Still need to get TF2.  Maybe I'll pick it up today when I get my copy of GT Sport after work.  Been waiting a lot time for this.  :2metal:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #3660 on: October 18, 2017, 10:17:03 AM »
Speaking of TF2, a big Team Fortress 2 update was revealed on Monday and they're showing content day by day until they release it all tomorrow.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3661 on: October 18, 2017, 11:45:50 AM »
I love Titanfall 2, I played it much more than I thought I would. The campaign is fun and entertaining and the level design is brilliant at times.
I seems to always wanna get back into a MP game mainly because it's easy to get into and addictive.
I like the fact that once you get into your mech human players become squeezable bugs.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3662 on: October 19, 2017, 07:28:01 AM »
Fire Emblem Warriors releases tomorrow and yet I've barely scratched the surface of Disgaea 5 and I'm 75 hours in. I guess that's a good thing, I'll just pick it up cheaper at a later date, but damn, time has been flying.

Anyone grabbing Mario Odyssey next Friday? Pre-ordered mine last week.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #3663 on: October 19, 2017, 08:43:35 AM »
Looking forward to getting Odyssey... Eventually.

Playing the recent 3DS Metroid at the moment. It's pretty good, nothing amazing. Much more combat heavy than other 2D Metroids I've played and the difficulty is all over the place. Some of the bosses have given me a bit of trouble but the regular combat is actually a bit rubbish; parrying is too easy and the same for every enemy so getting through a room with a bunch of them just kind of interrupts the rhythm. Good atmosphere and generally enjoyable exploration though. And there's always something addictive in Metroid when it comes to just find out what upgrade you'll get next.

Re: Titanfall 2... I liked it a lot. Solid campaign and I played the multiplayer a ton until BotW came out, and now it'll take too long to get halfway decent at it again and I don't even know how many people are still playing it online. Great game though, worth it even just for the campaign if you can get it cheap

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3664 on: October 19, 2017, 09:12:34 AM »
Fire Emblem Warriors releases tomorrow and yet I've barely scratched the surface of Disgaea 5 and I'm 75 hours in. I guess that's a good thing, I'll just pick it up cheaper at a later date, but damn, time has been flying.

I'll be buying Odyssey day one next week. Looking very much foreward to it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3665 on: October 23, 2017, 04:42:02 PM »

I'll be buying Odyssey day one next week. Looking very much foreward to it.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I know I will :)

I'm watching a friend play The Fractured But Whole... this game is a riot. I gotta get this.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #3666 on: October 23, 2017, 11:39:22 PM »

I'm going preorder it tomorrow. I wanted to do so today because I finally signed up for Best Buy's GCU thing but the dumb fuck store has a policy that you can't use your discount until the account's been active for 24 hours. Pretty effective way to drive away business by making it impossible to join the program and get (or preorder) the game you wanted all in one trip.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #3667 on: October 24, 2017, 03:11:41 AM »
So you pay to be eligible for discounts? Seems nonsensical to me but I guess if you buy a lot of games it might be worth it

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3668 on: October 24, 2017, 08:28:49 PM »

I'm going preorder it tomorrow. I wanted to do so today because I finally signed up for Best Buy's GCU thing but the dumb fuck store has a policy that you can't use your discount until the account's been active for 24 hours. Pretty effective way to drive away business by making it impossible to join the program and get (or preorder) the game you wanted all in one trip.

Did you get it pre-ordered today, bbs? I hope you get to play it on time, the only info I've bothered looking up for myself is basically longer videos on Gamexplain and Game Informer's YouTube channels, and the official trailers, but from what I've gathered the game looks just gargantuan, lots of worlds. And the monster control mechanic looks amazing. Weekend can't come soon enough.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #3669 on: October 25, 2017, 04:15:44 AM »

Did you get it pre-ordered today, bbs? I hope you get to play it on time, the only info I've bothered looking up for myself is basically longer videos on Gamexplain and Game Informer's YouTube channels, and the official trailers, but from what I've gathered the game looks just gargantuan, lots of worlds. And the monster control mechanic looks amazing. Weekend can't come soon enough.

Yes I did :) I get off of work at 9:30pm Thursday night and I'm probably going there right when I get off since they're letting us get our copies at 11:00pm since they're supposedly using 12:00am EDT as the company-wide release time and I'm in the central time zone. I'm going that early so I don't miss out on muh coin.

I have work from 4-2am the next day so I might just binge on this fucker for like 4 or 5 hours since I only have 9 hours off between my Friday and Saturday shifts. I'm just happy that my Switch is finally gonna feel like a real Nintendo system. BotW is very cool but it ain't a Nintendo system until it has a proper Mario game.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3670 on: October 25, 2017, 04:15:16 PM »
Next Friday CoD WWII. :2metal:   Damn, I can't play these games fast enough.   :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3671 on: October 26, 2017, 07:40:38 AM »
Next Friday CoD WWII. :2metal:   Damn, I can't play these games fast enough.   :lol

I'm starting to really ache to play a new shooter game that I may actually get this.  I'm also looking to get Battlefront 2 two weeks later.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3672 on: October 26, 2017, 08:23:05 AM »
Mario Odyssey is getting 10s. One more day! I've been on a Mario binge lately and I would love a remastered Mario 64 for the switch.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #3673 on: October 26, 2017, 08:28:51 AM »
Mario Odyssey is getting 10s. One more day! I've been on a Mario binge lately and I would love a remastered Mario 64 for the switch.
OMG yes!

I would also love for the two Galaxy games to be re-released for the Switch since I was never interested in the Wii.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3674 on: October 26, 2017, 08:31:00 AM »

I'm starting to really ache to play a new shooter game that I may actually get this.  I'm also looking to get Battlefront 2 two weeks later.

CoD: Modern Warfare Remastered is also a "must have".  Loved it.  :tup