Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 479250 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #3570 on: September 13, 2017, 07:26:35 AM »
They're cool novelty things but after 15 years of emulation I don't really want to spend $80+tax just to finally play a true blue legit copy of Star Fox 2... :\
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #3571 on: September 13, 2017, 01:34:54 PM »
I bit. Mainly cuz I prefer playing on original hardware. I realize this obviously isn't OG hardware but I'm inclined to believe it'll still be better than emulation since people were saying that the NES Classic's versions of games were noticeably better than the virtual console versions of those games which were supposedly nothing more than emulated versions.

I'll probably cave in and get everdrives down the line but this thing gives me 10 or 11 games I didn't already have plus if Nintendo acts like dicks (for the millionth time) and woefully short-arms the supply chain, I can probably still get back most or all of my money even selling an opened unit if I end up with buyer's remorse.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3572 on: September 13, 2017, 02:00:48 PM »
For me, I have emulators, on my PC and my phone, but it is extremely rare I ever play them, mostly because I just don't have the drive to play older games very often.  So while the idea of the classic consoles is cool, I just feel like I wouldn't actually play them and therefore it's a waste for me to buy them.  Also, with the supply shortages, it's definitely not worth the hassle to try and get one. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3573 on: September 13, 2017, 02:48:15 PM »
I would rather them just release the virtual console for the Switch and then I would be able to just buy the games I want. Given the choice between playing classic games on the switch or the SNES/NES classic, I would absolutely rather play them on the switch.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #3574 on: September 13, 2017, 04:10:13 PM »
Same here. My tits ain't tickled one way or the other about having a piece of shelf candy with a wired controller (only 5' long too ffs) but I know there's no way in hell I would've ever bought most of these games in the eShop since I'm strongly trying to ween myself off digital cuz I'm tired of spending money to not have anything to show for it in my physical collection. I just keep getting sucked in by awesome prices in PS store flash sales and a lot of the 10 or so games I don't own that this thing is coming with now go for at least $20 apiece. Until I get an everdrive this is a nice way to tide me over even though I seriously doubt I'd have gotten it if it didn't have Starfox 2.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3575 on: September 13, 2017, 07:15:10 PM »
Speaking of the Switch - I was fairly certain I wasn't going to buy Skyrim again since I've already done everything there is to do in it on PC, plus mods. But then I watched the trailer and heard that music and oh god. I have to have it. I MUST.

EDIT: Just saw on tonight's Nintendo direct - Square Enix's project Octopath Traveler has a demo that's now out on the Switch, I'm downloading it. It looks like such an awesome, interesting RPG. Mario Odyssey and Fire Emblem Warriors a week apart at the end of October, then Skyrim, and 2018 will have a ton of stuff I'm psyched about. I don't think my wallet can handle it
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 07:28:36 PM by Kattelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3576 on: September 13, 2017, 07:55:13 PM »
The octopath Traveler demo is pretty cool. That is one cool ass aesthetic.

It was nice to see skyrim and xenoblade get a release date. They are just around the corner. Mario is a day one buy as well.

And hot damn, was I surprised to see both DOOM and Wolfenstein announced for the switch. Two hardcore mature 3rd party games on the switch? hell yeah, sign me up  :metal

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3577 on: September 13, 2017, 08:30:05 PM »
I'm really interested in where the Switch goes after this year. There is a big Mario release and Zelda release that will be out of the way, so what happens next.

I read earlier today that Doom is going to be ported to the Switch.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #3578 on: September 13, 2017, 09:03:56 PM »
I'm really interested in where the Switch goes after this year. There is a big Mario release and Zelda release that will be out of the way, so what happens next.

Metroid 4, obviously. Hopefully DKC since they'd be foolish cocksuckers to not ride the momentum of Tropical Freeze since the absolute worst review I've ever seen of it called it average (and the reasons seemed shaky) and 90% of the other word of mouth about it is the verbal equivalent of 8+/10. F-Zero is LONG overdue. We also might get another Zelda this generation since that happened on N64 and those two (Ocarina and Majora) came out 17 months apart in Japan so they definitely have the track record to suggest the plausibility of such.

Outside of all of the above, maybe we can get a cool modern 2D Castlevania or Megaman this generation. The fan base for 2D platformers ain't goin away for a while so I think it might happen at some point.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3579 on: September 14, 2017, 02:29:17 AM »
I also wouldn't be surprised if they re-released Tropical Freeze, since it was a great game, but probably didn't do as well as it could have due to Wii U sales. They should definitely continue that franchise though. They might squeeze in another Zelda game, although their development times are a lot longer now, so it would probably be right at the end of its cycle.
I have no interest in their mini consoles, since they're just running emulated anyway. I can do that on my PC for free. That and the fact we still have all of our old consoles. :lol We never had a NES though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #3580 on: September 14, 2017, 04:38:21 AM »
Since I never got either the Wii or the Wii U, I say BRING ON all the re-releases of games that I've missed. :lol
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3581 on: September 14, 2017, 04:43:41 AM »
We have a Wii that's seen maybe an hour total of play time in the two years we've had it. Seems like there are only a handful of legitimately worthwhile games, and most of those are basically ruined by shitty controls because someone decided that the gimmick of shaking a stick around was better than just pressing a damn button.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3582 on: September 14, 2017, 05:02:22 AM »
I ordered a Nintendo Mini Classic a few weeks ago, I received it today on my lunch break. I'll try it out tonight after work.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3583 on: September 14, 2017, 06:22:33 AM »
20 minutes of the Octopath Traveler demo and I'm sold, absolutely picking this up when it's released. I never got to play Bravely Default but I'm wondering if Square Enix's magic lies in these types of RPGs now and Final Fantasy is just past its prime.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #3584 on: September 15, 2017, 12:57:56 AM »
I ordered a Nintendo Mini Classic a few weeks ago, I received it today on my lunch break. I'll try it out tonight after work.
Nice! Let us know what you think of it. :tup
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #3585 on: September 16, 2017, 06:46:11 PM »
Sonic Mania is fucking awesome. Don't think that just because you got through the first 3-5 stages with relatively few issues doesn't mean it's an easy Sonic game though...
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3586 on: September 16, 2017, 07:53:08 PM »
i found it relatively easy for a sonic game, to be honest  :lol
didn't game over once in my three playthroughs of the game
i still game over sometimes playing sonic 3 & k and especially sonic 1/2

• DT.net Member
« Reply #3587 on: September 16, 2017, 08:11:05 PM »
Those magnetized orbs are fucking ruining my life.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3588 on: September 17, 2017, 09:17:55 AM »
The orbs were driving me nuts on the first playthrough, leading to quite a few time overs. Eventually was able to get a hang of it.

Overall I really like Sonic Mania. If I had one complaint, its that stylistically its all over the place. Since its incorporating levels and game design from all 4 different games  (sonic 1, 2, 3&K and CD), it sometimes can feel disjointed.

Sonic mania is fantastic but S3&K is still my favorite, since it was one brand new game from beginning to end.

I hope that the success of Mania convinces Sega to allow Christian whitehead and crew to be able to make a 100% brand new 2D sonic from top to bottom.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 09:55:48 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3589 on: September 17, 2017, 09:59:15 AM »
I think Christian Whitehead understands what Sonic fans want from Sonic more than Sega does.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #3590 on: September 17, 2017, 01:33:01 PM »
The orbs were driving me nuts on the first playthrough, leading to quite a few time overs. Eventually was able to get a hang of it.

The time overs are fucking ridiculous in this game. I don't care if 10:00 has been the time limit for every game in the series, it's not nearly enough for levels this big. Your timer should either restart at 0:00 following any death, not just time overs, or they should have monitors (like the ones that contain rings and powerups) with a clock icon that you can break for additional time later on in the levels.

Overall I really like Sonic Mania. If I had one complaint, its that stylistically its all over the place. Since its incorporating levels and game design from all 4 different games  (sonic 1, 2, 3&K and CD), it sometimes can feel disjointed.

I guess their hands were kinda tied since this was marketed as being the end all be all "thank you" gesture to those who've been longing for a proper 2D Sonic game so they had to be sure to not neglect fans of any of those games by not including anything from any one specific game.

I hope that the success of Mania convinces Sega to allow Christian whitehead and crew to be able to make a 100% brand new 2D sonic from top to bottom.

Shit, that would be amazing. I see no reason that this couldn't become the basis for continuing the 2D series permanently.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #3591 on: September 17, 2017, 01:34:41 PM »
I think Christian Whitehead understands what Sonic fans want from Sonic more than Sega does.

Fortunately, they're Sega and not Nintendo so we have WAY more of a chance of them doing what fans actually want.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3592 on: September 17, 2017, 03:11:40 PM »
I dunno man, honestly, I want mods in Breath of the Wild but if Nintendo gave us that ability I think my ass would literally graft itself to my couch so it's for the better :lol :lol :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3593 on: September 17, 2017, 07:54:30 PM »
I just realized that I have an extra copy of Stardew Valley if anyone wants it.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #3594 on: September 17, 2017, 08:02:13 PM »
Yes please!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3595 on: September 19, 2017, 07:36:18 PM »
When I was a kid, I played the shit out of this game

Pretty decent.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #3596 on: September 20, 2017, 12:50:02 AM »
I'm finishing up Shadow of Mordor 100%....ish...and replaying the story for the second time in anticipation of the sequel. Also seeing if I really just don't like Evil Within or if I just suck at it...in anticipation of seeing if I suck at the second. I am having fun.

:millahhhh

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3597 on: September 20, 2017, 05:10:59 AM »
I think I played Home Alone on the NES.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3598 on: September 20, 2017, 04:17:06 PM »
I played a quick little game I downloaded called Orwell. It was really interesting, design and gameplay. You essentially play an investigator for a government program that spies on citizens of The Nation to stop crime and terrorist plots. The music is really what makes the game, it sets such a cool atmosphere. Here's a gameplay video. I loved it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og80oOgHOUo

Somebody else check it out, I need someone to talk to about it.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3599 on: September 24, 2017, 06:56:08 PM »
I just got thimbleweed park

Its basically a newly created "old school" point and click adventure. I dig it. Its got great atmosphere and style.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #3600 on: September 25, 2017, 04:02:21 AM »
Anyone else getting the SNES Classic on day one? I just moved in with an old roommate who's one of my best friends so we're gonna be like teens again playing this thing for hours.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3601 on: September 25, 2017, 07:08:29 AM »
I've been trying to hold off on buying Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle. It looks so fun, but I just need to hold out 4 weeks for Mario Odyssey... :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3602 on: September 27, 2017, 08:16:45 AM »
Does anyone have Disgaea 5? I've been trying not to buy it for a long time but the temptation keeps rising.

EDIT: As of Friday, I gave into the temptation and bought it. First time entering this series. Apparently you can level to 9999 and do 10 billion damage in a single shot. That'll keep me busy  :lol
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 08:38:48 AM by Kattelox »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3603 on: September 30, 2017, 06:41:01 AM »
Cuphead is out and its mental

Its one of most crazy 2d side scrollers I've ever seen, mainly due to its aesthetic. Its dead on old school disney animation and looks pretty cool.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3604 on: September 30, 2017, 11:15:17 AM »
I was watching Giant Bombs quick look and that is some of the best art in a game. I can't wait to pick it up.