Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 479179 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #1225 on: June 21, 2015, 01:28:05 PM »
GameCube Controller > > > > > > > > N64 Controller.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1226 on: June 21, 2015, 07:07:01 PM »
Someone gave me GTA V for my birthday, the last GTA game I'd played was Vice City and I was a huge fan of that. The one right after it I hated and quit early one, same as with the Russian guy GTA.
I had bought a copy of GTA V back around the time it was released and gave it away within a couple of weeks cause I found it dull as shit. Now GTA V is back like a bad penny and I have no games to play so I thought I'd give it another shot. Controls are garbage, the switching between more than one lead character is garbage, the improving/upgrading system is garbage, the city's layout is garbage, a true piece of shit game IMHO, but I'm stuck with it.
A friend was telling me that it's weird that I love Red Dead Redemption and Just Cause 2 but hate the latest GTA titles, I agree it's weird, I don't get it.

The fuck?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1227 on: June 21, 2015, 08:06:47 PM »
That was my reaction too.

Not only is GTA 5 my favorite GTA game, not only is it my favorite game on the PS3, but its one of favorite games ever made. Rarely have I been so joyfully entertained by a game in my life.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1228 on: June 21, 2015, 08:37:00 PM »
I'm inclined to agree with him - never enjoyed the GTA games. Just played them sparingly, because I wanted to do weird shit, and have some fun like jumping with a race car from a hight mountain, or killing people from my helicopter. Besides that, I find them to be quite average games.

Offline wizard of Thought

« Reply #1229 on: June 22, 2015, 06:17:06 AM »
Ah, so I got my tickets for gamescom this year. I`ll be there as early as possible, so that I possibly can get my hands on Star Fox Zero or Xenoblade Chronicles X since I don`t have much hope of getting anywhere else without waiting like 4-6 hours then.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #1230 on: June 22, 2015, 08:38:44 AM »
GameCube Controller > > > > > > > > N64 Controller.

:heart :heart :heart
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1231 on: June 22, 2015, 09:01:12 AM »
NES Controller > > > > > > > > > > > > N64 /  Gamecube Controllers.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1232 on: June 22, 2015, 09:22:07 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2AxkE7T0hw

The first minute is so relevant. :lol

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1233 on: June 22, 2015, 10:29:39 AM »
Someone gave me GTA V for my birthday, the last GTA game I'd played was Vice City and I was a huge fan of that. The one right after it I hated and quit early one, same as with the Russian guy GTA.
I had bought a copy of GTA V back around the time it was released and gave it away within a couple of weeks cause I found it dull as shit. Now GTA V is back like a bad penny and I have no games to play so I thought I'd give it another shot. Controls are garbage, the switching between more than one lead character is garbage, the improving/upgrading system is garbage, the city's layout is garbage, a true piece of shit game IMHO, but I'm stuck with it.
A friend was telling me that it's weird that I love Red Dead Redemption and Just Cause 2 but hate the latest GTA titles, I agree it's weird, I don't get it.

You are a rare kind, that game is amazing.

It's what everybody keeps saying and I keep trying to like it.
What do the number that show on the characters when you go into switch mood indicate? I thought it indicated how many mission are ready for the character to start but evidently not. Also missions are solely expressed in letters on the map right? I'm talking about game progress missions not the side activities.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1234 on: June 22, 2015, 11:49:26 AM »
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1235 on: June 22, 2015, 03:39:28 PM »
I could swear those numbers did refer to how many open missions each playable character has. I *think* it includes any side missions, but my memory's fuzzy.

Coincidentally, I popped in the "complete edition" of GTA4 I bought today. Dear god, these graphics have not aged well at all. The city's so murky, everything's hard to see, the combat system and "realistic" physics are archaic compared to GTA5. How the hell did I beat this seven years ago? The story and tone is jarring with how you'll have things like the television shows and radio commercials still be the zany, over-the-top satire they always are, but the story and Niko's whole deal is just played completely seriously. It clashes.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1236 on: June 22, 2015, 05:43:08 PM »
i'm getting a ps4 on wednesday. this marks the first time since 2009 that i've been a sony guy. so, what games should i get? anything good on the psn?
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1237 on: June 22, 2015, 06:05:02 PM »
What kind of game are you looking for?

Although the story obviously got rushed for launch, I would say the new Infamous was an amazing title as far as gameplay, perhaps the best yet for PS4. And since it's a PS exclusive, it will make it fresh for you, and even better.

Witcher III is incredible if you love open world adventure, cannot recommend it enough.

Destiny if you want your soul to get sucked with your friends and you enjoy shooting things.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1238 on: June 22, 2015, 06:23:30 PM »
i'm getting a ps4 on wednesday. this marks the first time since 2009 that i've been a sony guy. so, what games should i get? anything good on the psn?

GTA-V

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1239 on: June 22, 2015, 08:54:04 PM »
I highly recommend Bloodborne if you're up for a challenge  :tup

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1240 on: June 22, 2015, 09:11:05 PM »
It's not out yet but I really want to check out Tearaway Unfolded when it comes out on PS4. I don't have a Vita so I never played the original version but it looks crazy charming.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1241 on: June 22, 2015, 09:48:41 PM »
As a 360 owner when I upgrade I'm going to go with the PS4. Microsoft lost me as a customer with the awful xbox one launch with the kinect and used game disaster. I know they backed up on most of that stuff due to the backlash but the fact that they attempted it kinda scares me. I have no reason to believe that they won't try things like that in the future.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1242 on: June 22, 2015, 11:06:42 PM »
What disaster with the kinect are you talking about? It'd probably be a good idea to get one because they're incorporating Cortana this holiday season, and sorta compatibility. Sony doesn't have backwards compatibility, soooo don't get what you're slinging shit on Microsoft for?

Offline Cable

« Reply #1243 on: June 22, 2015, 11:29:44 PM »
I heard the backwards compatibility is more of a token thing to sell an XOne over a PS4. I heard many titles are not supported, due to licensing and other issues. And it didn't sound to me that you could pop in a disc, and away you go. It needs to download a copy or something. I could be wrong though?

Microsoft is losing to Sony.
https://www.ibtimes.com/ps4-vs-xbox-one-sony-sells-more-202-million-consoles-worldwide-1835732

And I agree with Ozzy how Microsoft fumbled the launch and used games thing. People having issues with 360's didn't help either.
---

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1244 on: June 23, 2015, 03:15:36 AM »
What disaster with the kinect are you talking about?
Wasn't it the evil camera is always watching you thing?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1245 on: June 23, 2015, 03:27:55 AM »
For a short tiny bit but then even then dimmest just realizes you can unplug it real quick and easy if you're not too lazy and care that much, but then everybody was just mad that you had to buy it with the xbox one cause they're possible dinguses who don't see it's potential.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1246 on: June 23, 2015, 04:52:03 AM »
I think it was also the fact that you HAD to buy it with the kinect as well.

Instead of backfiring on them now (and most did back when they announced it as gamers should have) Microsoft has gone back and fixed most if not all those problems that caused the backlash.  That should be a reason TO buy it since they for once showed they are listening to the customer. 

They now allow you to buy it without the kinect for $100 less, and in fact cut the price by another $50 and often include a game for promotions.
You do not always need to be connected to the internet
They are starting to adopt a backwards compatibility work around, it wont be perfect and it wont be for all games, but its something in the right direction.

Now Im not a huge M$ fanboy so im just stating facts and my opinion, I have an xbox1 and it collects dust.  I bought it for the Halo Masterchief collection and that was a huge waste as the game was severely broken and most other titles I buy for the PC.  So yea theres that.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1247 on: June 23, 2015, 04:53:53 AM »
The master chief collection is most fixed now :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1248 on: June 23, 2015, 05:01:08 AM »
The master chief collection is most fixed now :)

Yea i've tried it recently and seemed fine besides matchmaking being slow, but I was just so pissed off that I kind of lost interest.  I may come back at some point when my work life slows down.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #1249 on: June 23, 2015, 01:02:23 PM »
Debating whether or not to pick up Arkham Knight. Professional reviews seem positive but there are a lot of negative reviews on Steam, though it seems that those reviews are mostly people bitching about the graphics which really doesn't matter to me. Has anyone played the game yet who can weigh in?

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1250 on: June 23, 2015, 01:31:04 PM »
I got a PS4 last week, and it's Nick's fault.

I've been playing a lot of Elder Scrolls Online.  Occasionally I'll play MLB The Show 15, and eventually I'll get around to playing Bloodborne and The Last of Us.

When I get GameStop's buy two get one free, The Witcher is going to be one of those games.

DreamTheaterVT if you want to add.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1251 on: June 23, 2015, 01:55:31 PM »
I heard the backwards compatibility is more of a token thing to sell an XOne over a PS4. I heard many titles are not supported, due to licensing and other issues. And it didn't sound to me that you could pop in a disc, and away you go. It needs to download a copy or something. I could be wrong though?
You're correct. It probably shouldn't be posed as backwards compatibility, that's just marketing. It's certainly nice, but it's more like publishers can offer updated licensing for emulation rather than backwards compatibility. Only time will tell how robust of an offering it is.

Offline TL

« Reply #1252 on: June 23, 2015, 02:16:28 PM »
The big issue with the Xbox One originally, before it launched, was that you weren't going to be able to play used games on it, and that it was going to have to authenticate all of your games through an online connection once every 24 hours. They ended up scrapping both of those ideas because of the backlash they received.

The backward compatibility they're working in actually sounds like it could be decent. Yes, it will have to download games after you put the disc in rather than just playing off the disc, but that's more because the Xbox One doesn't play any games directly off the disc (most if not all Xbox One games do a full install and just use the disc to authenticate). It sounds like the main hurdle will be whether or not publishers agree to have their games be included. Digital games, you'd have to download anyway.
The upside to this is obviously that, for compatible games, you won't have to pay anything if you already own it.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1253 on: June 23, 2015, 03:28:59 PM »
I got Arkham Knight yesterday. Maybe the most brilliant Batman game ever. Gotta love when a game pisses u off.  A must get game. I am a dork and have been playing for almost 20 hours. Incredible game. Graphics are mind blowing. Lots of twists and turns and I hear at the end is a major one. Best money I have spent in a long time

Offline adace

« Reply #1254 on: June 23, 2015, 04:46:29 PM »
I got Arkham Knight yesterday. Maybe the most brilliant Batman game ever. Gotta love when a game pisses u off.  A must get game. I am a dork and have been playing for almost 20 hours. Incredible game. Graphics are mind blowing. Lots of twists and turns and I hear at the end is a major one. Best money I have spent in a long time
Currently waiting for my copy to come from Gamefly but it's hard to be patient with comments like this :lol I'll most likely buy it when it gets cheap enough though.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1255 on: June 23, 2015, 04:57:44 PM »
Same here with waiting, maybe steam summer sale but I still haven't played the last one  :facepalm:

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1256 on: June 23, 2015, 06:21:48 PM »
Debating whether or not to pick up Arkham Knight. Professional reviews seem positive but there are a lot of negative reviews on Steam, though it seems that those reviews are mostly people bitching about the graphics which really doesn't matter to me. Has anyone played the game yet who can weigh in?

Word is the game is terrible optimized (even worse than AC: Unity).
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1257 on: June 23, 2015, 07:52:20 PM »
I think it's not about the graphics as much as that most systems can't get it to run properly because of how rushed/lazy the port is in regards to optimization. Would probably be safe to buy on a console though :V

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #1258 on: June 23, 2015, 08:05:26 PM »
Would be getting it on PS4 so that's fine.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1259 on: June 23, 2015, 08:30:32 PM »
Yeah, the game should be fine if you're playing it on a console. Thank goodness for Steam refunds, eh?