Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 481124 times)

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #1190 on: June 19, 2015, 01:38:02 PM »
I'm not so much complaining as pointing out that Square expects me to fork over $70 for a game in a few years based on the assumption that is a newer version of a game that I like from my childhood (to be honest FFVII is not even close to the best FF game in my opinion, but there's no way they were gonna remake IX or VI anyway) when they have no intention of trying to make it be that same game besides featuring the same characters and locations.

If they move ahead with Nomura's vision of what this game is going to be they will not see a red cent from my wallet, and I hope to god they go bankrupt over it.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1191 on: June 19, 2015, 01:42:25 PM »
They don't expect you to pay anything, they're trying to sell you on it. I'm a Final Fantasy fan and I have no intention of buying it. Hoping they go bankrupt over something like this only shows you need to relax.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1192 on: June 19, 2015, 01:43:45 PM »
Well that was a bit of hyperbole, but honestly watching what's become of Square is like watching a beloved family pet slowly die of cancer. It's time for them to be put out of their misery.

Maybe a better thing to say would be to hope they lose so much money they can only afford to make portable games like Bravely Default and Type-0 in the future since that seems to be the only time they can make a game I like :lol

...my name is Araragi.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1193 on: June 19, 2015, 01:59:02 PM »
In the past couple years they've released some nice console games (that I've played). Lightning Returns, Murdered: Soul Suspect, Thief, Tomb Raider. All were at least good games.

The company isn't what you want it to be, but they've grown and really complimented their operations by acquiring Eidos. How about Setsuna Project? I'm really looking forward to seeing what that it.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1194 on: June 19, 2015, 02:00:48 PM »
I'm only really talking about actual Square games. Like, Hitman Absolution was amazing, but I don't credit Square for that. The only thing Square contributed to that was money.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1195 on: June 19, 2015, 02:23:35 PM »
It is all SquareEnix. They shouldn't be discredited for these games, just like they shouldn't be discredited for Enix properties since that merger. If SquareEnix decides to let studios run themselves then that is still their company structure. If a game is a success under their watch, they deserve credit. If they lose so much money they are forced into portable games it is going to cost a lot more than just traditional Square franchises.

You and I may not like it, but the Square teams deserve credit for saving FFXIV with ARR.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1196 on: June 19, 2015, 02:34:29 PM »
If IO had been bought by Sega instead of Square and given the same amount of money I'm sure we would have received the exact same game. I'm not talking about their capability as producers or distributors anyway, but as game designers.

Sure, they saved FFXIV eventually, but first they had to go forward with a misguided and terrible game so they would have something to save.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1197 on: June 19, 2015, 03:22:22 PM »
I think Square is doing just fine. I thought XIII was great. Gameplay was too linear for my tastes, but the story was pretty good, and I loved the effort they put into character interactions. XIII-2 on the other hand, I didn't think was so great. I haven't played Lightning Returns yet so can't comment on that.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1198 on: June 19, 2015, 03:25:30 PM »
Sega didn't buy Eidos, and it's awfully hard to say how they would have treated the development studios or what they would have supported.

I get what you're trying to say about development, but I don't think it works. Too complicated a comparison given the time separation and differences in the market.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #1199 on: June 19, 2015, 03:42:41 PM »
I started playing Hearthstone today. It's pretty addictive.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline j

« Reply #1200 on: June 19, 2015, 04:00:52 PM »
I tend to agree with Genowyn.  It's not that FF7 is untouchable and this new game will be blasphemy if it isn't a carbon copy.  It's that Square-Enix's track record over the last 10-15 years is less than stellar, and I'm skeptical that this project will be any different than the vast majority of their other output during that time.  In other words, I don't trust them to make major design changes that are actually well-conceived and well-implemented, let alone improvements to the original.  Hopefully they will prove me wrong in my cynicism!

Make no mistake, the game will sell like hotcakes no matter what they do based on the title alone.  Square-Enix is a very successful video game developing/publishing company which continues to be profitable and I suspect it will be around for quite some time.  But they struck gold so many times in the '90s and even early 2000s that it's hard not to continue to hold them to that unrealistic standard in spite of the ever-changing conditions and dynamics of this industry.

-J

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1201 on: June 19, 2015, 04:33:55 PM »
Super mario maker looks mental

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1202 on: June 19, 2015, 05:06:44 PM »
controversial video game opinion

if ffvii remake's battle system was the same as ffxii's (yes, you read that right, 12) battle system, I'd be happy
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1203 on: June 19, 2015, 05:12:27 PM »
I was going to post that before too. I'm really not a fan of traditional RPG battle systems but FF12's battle system was outstanding.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1204 on: June 19, 2015, 05:30:11 PM »
That could make me consider getting the VII remake, loved XII and it's battle system.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1205 on: June 19, 2015, 05:38:11 PM »
Boy I sure could not disagree with the last few posts more.

God FFXII is like one of my least favorite games of all time.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #1206 on: June 19, 2015, 05:41:04 PM »
 :lol

no really FFXII is the best

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1207 on: June 19, 2015, 05:51:02 PM »
I mean it's not even the battle system, I've tried to play it again, I've given it so many chances. It feels like I'm playing an MMORPG T_T

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #1208 on: June 19, 2015, 05:58:12 PM »
Some people like MMORPGs, and even if it feels like one, if it were one it'd be better than most

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1209 on: June 19, 2015, 06:17:35 PM »
The gambit system was great especially when you set up a near auto battle which made it great for the hunts. I remember I beat the Frost Wyrm or whatever that was nearly blackout drunk.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #1210 on: June 19, 2015, 06:27:33 PM »
The gambit system was great especially when you set up a near auto battle which made it great for the hunts. I remember I beat the Frost Wyrm or whatever that was nearly blackout drunk.

The potential autonomy of that system is usually considered a bad thing  :lol

I think it's pretty cool that you can make a game play itself, but idk

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1211 on: June 19, 2015, 06:32:15 PM »
It's optional, so I never understood the complaints about it. Making the game play on its own, effectively, was a game in itself.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1212 on: June 19, 2015, 06:34:56 PM »
It helped for grinding, especially for materials needed to craft the best weapons.

Another thing I really enjoyed was the Star Wars like story. I gather there are more interesting stories within the FF universe but having never played any others I was quite content. Some of the cutscenes like the attack on the Armada were really awesome and the whole airship thing has fascinated me.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #1213 on: June 19, 2015, 06:39:29 PM »
I personally enjoyed the politics of the story.

Offline j

« Reply #1214 on: June 19, 2015, 08:20:16 PM »
I loved FFXII.  One of very, very few SE games from recent years that I thoroughly enjoyed.

-J

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1215 on: June 19, 2015, 09:51:19 PM »
Nintendo may have finally given me ample reason to buy a Wii U, thanks to Fatal Frame, Super Mario Maker, and of course stuff we knew about before like Wii U Zelda and Pikmin 3.

Even having only a few games, I've had mine for a year and can't complain. Mario Kart 8 is fantastic, New SMBU/Luigi U is really fun, NintendoLand is a great time-killer, and NES Remix is cool for parties if you're a fan of the old NES games. Plus they're starting to add N64 and NDS games to the mix on Virtual Console. Planning on getting the first New SMB soon, and being able to play it on my TV is gonna be awesome! Can't wait for Mario Maker. That's gonna be epic!

If Nintendo announced that they were remaking the N-64 controller with modern hardware, I'd buy a Wii-U tomorrow.

But you can already use the far superior Gamecube controller...

I prefer the N64 controller, and I'm not just busting balls. I'm not a fan of the Gamecube controller.

As a long time Nintendo fan, I'm not a fan of the GC one either. Don't know anyone who is really. The Z button placement is uncomfortable in relation to the triggers, and the button layout places too much emphasis on the large A button. The 64 one wasn't perfect, especially to people accustomed to today's "standardized" layout, but it had some great features.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #1216 on: June 19, 2015, 09:56:22 PM »
is it wrong if I love using the wii remote sideways

Offline Cable

« Reply #1217 on: June 19, 2015, 11:10:08 PM »
is it wrong if I love using the wii remote sideways

The trigger, and shape to accommodate it, was the only thing that bugged me. It was a bit strange to use it on games created for sideways play. Otherwise, I went back and forth using a Classic controller and the sideways mote. I think it was out of laziness for not plugging in the classic.
---

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1218 on: June 20, 2015, 01:36:39 AM »
It helped for grinding, especially for materials needed to craft the best weapons.

Another thing I really enjoyed was the Star Wars like story. I gather there are more interesting stories within the FF universe but having never played any others I was quite content. Some of the cutscenes like the attack on the Armada were really awesome and the whole airship thing has fascinated me.
The story had some great stuff, but overall I thought it was a bit weak for the FF series. Some of the politics lent an interesting edge but it ended up getting a bit convoluted and I thought the end felt slightly anti-climactic.

I totally agree with you guys about the gameplay though, easily my favourite FF from a purely combat point of view. I would prefer they do that sort of thing more often, rather than the traditional turn-based stuff which I don't find very interesting.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #1219 on: June 20, 2015, 06:01:52 AM »
Nintendo may have finally given me ample reason to buy a Wii U, thanks to Fatal Frame, Super Mario Maker, and of course stuff we knew about before like Wii U Zelda and Pikmin 3.

Even having only a few games, I've had mine for a year and can't complain. Mario Kart 8 is fantastic, New SMBU/Luigi U is really fun, NintendoLand is a great time-killer, and NES Remix is cool for parties if you're a fan of the old NES games. Plus they're starting to add N64 and NDS games to the mix on Virtual Console. Planning on getting the first New SMB soon, and being able to play it on my TV is gonna be awesome! Can't wait for Mario Maker. That's gonna be epic!

If Nintendo announced that they were remaking the N-64 controller with modern hardware, I'd buy a Wii-U tomorrow.

But you can already use the far superior Gamecube controller...

I prefer the N64 controller, and I'm not just busting balls. I'm not a fan of the Gamecube controller.

As a long time Nintendo fan, I'm not a fan of the GC one either. Don't know anyone who is really. The Z button placement is uncomfortable in relation to the triggers, and the button layout places too much emphasis on the large A button. The 64 one wasn't perfect, especially to people accustomed to today's "standardized" layout, but it had some great features.

The Z button is the only one of your points that I agree with, and even that is exaggerated. The emphasis on the A button is what makes it one of my all time favorite controllers, as it is really easy to combine an A button press with any of the other face buttons. At the very least, it is perfect for playing Super Smash Bros.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1220 on: June 20, 2015, 06:08:03 AM »
The Z button is the only one of your points that I agree with, and even that is exaggerated. The emphasis on the A button is what makes it one of my all time favorite controllers, as it is really easy to combine an A button press with any of the other face buttons. At the very least, it is perfect for playing Super Smash Bros.

The Z button issue isn't exaggerated imo. Having to use the Z button in any game gave me serious pains down my hand very quickly because of the poorly thought out ergonomics. It was a total afterthought, and made it difficult to do certain actions as easily as it should have been.
The A button isn't really a problem, I just think the standard 4 equal buttons in the diamond layout is much more practical and usable overall.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1221 on: June 20, 2015, 06:30:27 AM »
I think the exaggerated A button worked for some games and not others, but overall I'd have preferred it not be so big. The Z button never bothered me, mostly because games would put things like the map on it or some menu, and you don't need your finger constantly on a button to bring those things up, so it worked out fine. The GCN controller also has my favourite trigger buttons, I liked that they were contoured and that they didn't resist too much, which made the variable sensitivity easier to use.

Overall I'd say it was a solid controller, maybe just overshadowed a bit by its revolutionary predecessor.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1222 on: June 20, 2015, 06:36:03 AM »
I think the exaggerated A button worked for some games and not others, but overall I'd have preferred it not be so big.

That about sums up my thoughts. For the more simplistic games, it was fine.
I did like the trigger molding, but not in conjunction with the Z button. Those raised edges made it awkward to use the Z button, but on their own they were quite comfortable. They were much better for analogue than digital usage though. I found them a bit sluggish for quick digital actions, which is why having both the analogue and digital L/R buttons like the PS/XBOX controllers is the best solution.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1223 on: June 20, 2015, 03:04:55 PM »
Someone gave me GTA V for my birthday, the last GTA game I'd played was Vice City and I was a huge fan of that. The one right after it I hated and quit early one, same as with the Russian guy GTA.
I had bought a copy of GTA V back around the time it was released and gave it away within a couple of weeks cause I found it dull as shit. Now GTA V is back like a bad penny and I have no games to play so I thought I'd give it another shot. Controls are garbage, the switching between more than one lead character is garbage, the improving/upgrading system is garbage, the city's layout is garbage, a true piece of shit game IMHO, but I'm stuck with it.
A friend was telling me that it's weird that I love Red Dead Redemption and Just Cause 2 but hate the latest GTA titles, I agree it's weird, I don't get it.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1224 on: June 21, 2015, 10:53:27 AM »
Someone gave me GTA V for my birthday, the last GTA game I'd played was Vice City and I was a huge fan of that. The one right after it I hated and quit early one, same as with the Russian guy GTA.
I had bought a copy of GTA V back around the time it was released and gave it away within a couple of weeks cause I found it dull as shit. Now GTA V is back like a bad penny and I have no games to play so I thought I'd give it another shot. Controls are garbage, the switching between more than one lead character is garbage, the improving/upgrading system is garbage, the city's layout is garbage, a true piece of shit game IMHO, but I'm stuck with it.
A friend was telling me that it's weird that I love Red Dead Redemption and Just Cause 2 but hate the latest GTA titles, I agree it's weird, I don't get it.

You are a rare kind, that game is amazing.